[Interactive License available] Mesh To Volume... and back!

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited April 2022

Hey guys, check it out, I just made a new tutorial movie to show how simple is to make clouds:

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • Alessandro Mastronardi said:

DisparateDreamer said:

I'm getting "/data/DAZ 3D/Built-in Content/Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume/Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume.dsf" so i'm missing essentials i guess probably from the basics of 4.2

Hello, yes that means the 4.20 installation is missing critical files for using volumes. Probably reinstalling the application is necessary.

I just needed to reinstall the new shaders with it

working now! :)

• DisparateDreamer said:

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

DisparateDreamer said:

I'm getting "/data/DAZ 3D/Built-in Content/Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume/Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume.dsf" so i'm missing essentials i guess probably from the basics of 4.2

Hello, yes that means the 4.20 installation is missing critical files for using volumes. Probably reinstalling the application is necessary.

I just needed to reinstall the new shaders with it

working now! :)

awesome!

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

AnEye4Art said:

According to your video, vdb files can be exported to other software but what about importing vdb files from other software?

You can easily do that, just go into the volume surface and browse another .vdb file. Once it's there you can render it, or even use the script to convert it to mesh. And maybe reconvert it to volume with different settings... infinite possibilities...

does this make sense ?

Most folks already know this: Importing a vdb file works well but I still had to change the suface name to 'Volume' so that turning 'clip to geometry' to 'off' would show the entire volume and not confine(clip) it to a cube, sphere or what ever shape might be used. This is not a complaint but just a little heads up to those who want to import their own vdb file. 

VDB Cloud.PNG
    2063 x 911 - 1M
  • jd641jd641 Posts: 419

SickleYield said:

SickleYield said:

simis said:

I finally got it to work, This is an amazing tool. Thanks AM, really appreciate your help. One question is their a way to save the volume file once you create one?  And how do you load it again without the object Primitive or character?

Hi hi! What did you do that made it work for making a mesh from the VDB? I've gotten it to generate the VDB, but it seems to be crashing on the reverse process with every object I tried, simple or complex. 

You can find the vdb itself using the "open vdb folder" button from the script interface. Alessandro has also included the shader, so you can make your vdb work with any primitive of your choice by 1) applying that shader to the object 2) navigating to where you put the VDB in the shader.

Hi, volume-to-mesh should work flawlessly, just selecting a vdb will produce and load the obj in Studio. Let me know if it works, me and my testers didn't have issues with that. Ciao

Aaah the answer is "I was doing it wrong" lol. Thanks, it's working now!

While I've got you here, what's the licensing on meshes generated from this? If I build a mesh, turn it into a vdb, and then turn that vdb back into mesh, can I use the resulting vdb and/or mesh in a commercial product?

Hello, no there will be a Pro version soon that will allow to resell and use commercially  everything produced through the script. Cheers.

Besides being able to sell and use what you've made commercially, what will be the functional differences between the two versions?

I really want to get this but now I don't know if I should wait for the pro version or not.

edited April 2022

jd641 said:

SickleYield said:

SickleYield said:

simis said:

I finally got it to work, This is an amazing tool. Thanks AM, really appreciate your help. One question is their a way to save the volume file once you create one?  And how do you load it again without the object Primitive or character?

Hi hi! What did you do that made it work for making a mesh from the VDB? I've gotten it to generate the VDB, but it seems to be crashing on the reverse process with every object I tried, simple or complex. 

You can find the vdb itself using the "open vdb folder" button from the script interface. Alessandro has also included the shader, so you can make your vdb work with any primitive of your choice by 1) applying that shader to the object 2) navigating to where you put the VDB in the shader.

Hi, volume-to-mesh should work flawlessly, just selecting a vdb will produce and load the obj in Studio. Let me know if it works, me and my testers didn't have issues with that. Ciao

While I've got you here, what's the licensing on meshes generated from this? If I build a mesh, turn it into a vdb, and then turn that vdb back into mesh, can I use the resulting vdb and/or mesh in a commercial product?

Hello, no there will be a Pro version soon that will allow to resell and use commercially  everything produced through the script. Cheers.

Besides being able to sell and use what you've made commercially, what will be the functional differences between the two versions?

I really want to get this but now I don't know if I should wait for the pro version or not.

Hi, there will be also an upgrade, so economically speaking won't make a different because standard+upgrade=pro version
    No functional differences between the two versions, just the right to sell assets produced commercially.

• Hello guys, the installer has been updated, so the initial release issue is gone. Please update anyway so you get the installation validated. Sorry about the issue.

• jd641jd641 Posts: 419

jd641 said:

SickleYield said:

SickleYield said:

simis said:

Hi, there will be also an upgrade, so economically speaking won't make a different because standard+upgrade=pro version
    No functional differences between the two versions, just the right to sell assets produced commercially.

Ah ok, perfect. I went ahead and bought it cause this looks awesome!

• jd641 said:

jd641 said:

SickleYield said:

SickleYield said:

simis said:

Ah ok, perfect. I went ahead and bought it cause this looks awesome!

Thank you!

• shadem980shadem980 Posts: 48
    edited April 2022

I made a fire with combined spheres and a good amount of turbulence. The fire and smoke are the same object and are lit with 4 ghost light spheres with cranked up emission - different colors per each (Daz 4.20). This opens up so many ideas. Really great product!

Image removed

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited April 2022

shadem980 said:

I made a fire with combined spheres and a good amount of turbulence. The fire and smoke are the same object and are lit with 4 ghost light spheres with cranked up emission - different colors per each (Daz 4.20). This opens up so many ideas. Really great product!

Image removed

Nice work, and thanks for sharing! Yes, lot of possibilities and things that can be done with the script.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Some of you asked how to make the tornado displayed in the promo. Easy peasy, check the movie here:

Scene file link and settings are in the description. Enjoy!

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 236

Unfortunately, the update broke my installation of the product. I used the Daz Install Manager to install the upgrade just as I had the original product. It reports "install failed", and the product folders are empty except for the PDF and a previous vdb file. I tried deleting the product and reinstalling, both through DIM, with the same results. Windows 10, Daz Studio 4.20.

Anyone else seeing this?.Any ideas?

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Yes, Update installation failed. Deleted install and rebooted then tried DIM again, install finished but still having same problem with Mesh2Volume, no useable results, only get a cube for volume.

edited April 2022

For me it works correctly. Used DIM to uninstall it, manually deleted the folder just to be safe, reinstalled and tried successfully.

edited April 2022

Timotheus said:

Unfortunately, the update broke my installation of the product. I used the Daz Install Manager to install the upgrade just as I had the original product. It reports "install failed", and the product folders are empty except for the PDF and a previous vdb file. I tried deleting the product and reinstalling, both through DIM, with the same results. Windows 10, Daz Studio 4.20.

Once uninstalled, try removing manually the folder as well, and the reinstall.

I have no control over the installers, but let me know if I can help.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

just to mention, it worked for me, I had the original version installed via DIM, waited for the official update and installed that through DIM as well, the only hicckup I had was that my antivirus program was convinced the v2m.exe is malware surprise Once I convinced it that I do want this program to run it worked like a charm, I'm going to have tons of fun with this.

Still going through your youtubes to see if I missed a functionality

Uthgard said:

I'm definitely picking this up as soon as the related offer starts working. In the meantime, I had a small doubt: is there any way to turn just a bone or set of bones into a volume? It'd be great for characters with a ghost arm and things like that.

Not in this release. What you ask would imply a more complex management of the geometry. As things stand now, you'll have to eventually do it yourself, entering the geometry tool, selecting and deleting the unwanted parts and making those a volume.

Thanks for the prompt answer (and the implied future updates). Geometry selection as a workaround should work just fine, yeah, as does converting gloves and other workarounds I was too lazy to contemplate before asking... Anyway! Looking forward to playing around with this, and thank you for making it.

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 236

Timotheus said:

Thanks for the suggestion. That led me to the real problem. WHen I tried to delete the folder, Windows complained that it was in use. Turns out I had the PDF guide open in Acrobat Reader. I'm guessing that threw the installer off as well. All good now.

• Timotheus said:

Timotheus said:

Thanks for the suggestion. That led me to the real problem. WHen I tried to delete the folder, Windows complained that it was in use. Turns out I had the PDF guide open in Acrobat Reader. I'm guessing that threw the installer off as well. All good now.

Ah yes, that can happen smiley Glad it's working again!

Hmmm, I can't get Mesh to Volume and Back to work.  I've tried several installs all using DIM and deleting package files and folders after uninstall.  I only seem to create a rectangular box instead of the intended shape.  Anyone else have similar problems?  Any ideas how to fix most appreciated.  I will submit a Help Desk ticket if not able to fix.  Thanks!

• FirePro9 said:

Hmmm, I can't get Mesh to Volume and Back to work.  I've tried several installs all using DIM and deleting package files and folders after uninstall.  I only seem to create a rectangular box instead of the intended shape.  Anyone else have similar problems?  Any ideas how to fix most appreciated.  I will submit a Help Desk ticket if not able to fix.  Thanks!

please contact me at [email protected] , I will help you out. Thanks 

edited April 2022

For future reference the reason I was seeing only a rectangular box in my Iray Viewport was a problem was with my Viewport setting.  On the Draw Setting TAB | Draw Mode | Interactive (Biased) was set, any of the other settings work, i.e., display the VDB file properly.

I have a few new question for Alessandro:

1. When Mesh2Volume creates a new Volume is it possible that the Surface name be Volume rather than Default?  As it currently stands one has to change the Surface name to Volume via the Geometry Editor in order for Clip To Geometry to work. 

2. On the Surfaces Tab what does the Volume Channel parameter do? 

Thanks for all your help!

Post edited by FirePro9 on
    FirePro9 said:

For future reference the reason I was seeing only a rectangular box in my Iray Viewport was a problem was with my Viewport setting.  On the Draw Setting TAB | Draw Mode | Interactive (Biased) was set, any of the other settings work, i.e., display the VDB file properly.

1. When Mesh2Volume creates a new Volume is it possible that the Surface name be Volume rather than Default?  As it currently stands one has to change the Surface name to Volume via the Geometry Editor in order for Clip To Geometry to work. 

I agree on the 'volume' naming.
    edited April 2022

FirePro9 said:

Duly noted on the surface name change, it will be on next update!
    About the volume channel, since a vdb it's basically a container of data, you can have different channels, or data sets if you prefer, each of those with a different set of data. So for example you could have a vdb with an explosion effect with different channels like density (which is the default and mandatory one) which it's basically the voxels output, and then you could have another channel for temperature (with voxels that you can visualize and show what's the temperature outcome over the explosion time), and then maybe a channel for fuel consumption, another for smoke or debris and so on. It all depends of how the effect, and so the resulting .vdb, has been packed from the originary 3D application. Houdini, to tell one, it's capable of that, i.e. producing multichannel vdb's.

In Studio, we go with an empty volume channel text field which just defaults to the first channel available, if not specified.

BTW: more complex tutorials coming soon...

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487

Any updates on this, or the add on? 

FirePro9 said:

Duly noted on the surface name change, it will be on next update!
    About the volume channel, since a vdb it's basically a container of data, you can have different channels, or data sets if you prefer, each of those with a different set of data. So for example you could have a vdb with an explosion effect with different channels like density (which is the default and mandatory one) which it's basically the voxels output, and then you could have another channel for temperature (with voxels that you can visualize and show what's the temperature outcome over the explosion time), and then maybe a channel for fuel consumption, another for smoke or debris and so on. It all depends of how the effect, and so the resulting .vdb, has been packed from the originary 3D application. Houdini, to tell one, it's capable of that, i.e. producing multichannel vdb's.

In Studio, we go with an empty volume channel text field which just defaults to the first channel available, if not specified.

BTW: more complex tutorials coming soon...

I'm not sure how 'Clip to Geometry' should work: is it supposed to resize the container box to the volume extents? Because from my tests it doesn't work...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    The surface must be named Volume.

Make sure that the 'V' in Volume is capitalized or it will not work - at least according to my experience.

• AnEye4Art said:

Make sure that the 'V' in Volume is capitalized or it will not work - at least according to my experience.

ok, thanks but I actually wondered what that option is supposed to do. If is to size the container box to the actual volume boundaries, it doesn't work for me.