[Interactive License available] Mesh To Volume... and back!

Comments

• solisphotography said:

I tried the fix and it still doesn't work for me. 

Hi, if you want email me, I'll help you to fix what's wrong. Cheers

• simissimis Posts: 14

Well it's one day later and the fix is not showing up in DIM, I did install the tbb.dll file and it still doesn't work I still get the shader missing error. I may not fully understand the mechanics of how this product is suppose to work. A real tutorial would be awesome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I thought maybe I'll try it on another PC. It still is not working. See attached image. It is now saying that the Geometry to transform into a VDB is not Valid or invisiible. Any ideas.

M2V001.jpg
    1370 x 1086 - 169K
  • simis said:

Ok, I thought maybe I'll try it on another PC. It still is not working. See attached image. It is now saying that the Geometry to transform into a VDB is not Valid or invisiible. Any ideas.

Hello, I'm preparing the videos. And the update should arrive anytime now. Try to create a primitive with more resolution, a cube with at least 4 divisions...

Ok, I did that. I created a cube with a division of 12. The error no longer shows up. But now the cube doesn't show any volumetrics.

M2V002.jpg
    1968 x 1620 - 394K
  • simis said:

Ok, I did that. I created a cube with a division of 12. The error no longer shows up. But now the cube doesn't show any volumetrics.

Difficult to tell like this, it could be that the volume density is too low? The cube primitive is covering it completely?
    I started a Youtube playlist, there is already an introduction movie, please take a look at it, if you have issues email me and we'll check out what's wrong.

Tutorial movie playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzUOVK5mlH3oJA1TbeNPkIlOG1M_8n4YY

edited April 2022

I finally got it to work, This is an amazing tool. Thanks AM, really appreciate your help. One question is their a way to save the volume file once you create one?  And how do you load it again without the object Primitive or character?

Post edited by simis on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622

simis said:

I finally got it to work, This is an amazing tool. Thanks AM, really appreciate your help. One question is their a way to save the volume file once you create one?  And how do you load it again without the object Primitive or character?

Hi hi! What did you do that made it work for making a mesh from the VDB? I've gotten it to generate the VDB, but it seems to be crashing on the reverse process with every object I tried, simple or complex. 

You can find the vdb itself using the "open vdb folder" button from the script interface. Alessandro has also included the shader, so you can make your vdb work with any primitive of your choice by 1) applying that shader to the object 2) navigating to where you put the VDB in the shader.

• simis said:

Glad to hear it. Yes you definitely can, preparing the movie to show everybody how... hang on...

• SickleYield said:

simis said:

Hi hi! What did you do that made it work for making a mesh from the VDB? I've gotten it to generate the VDB, but it seems to be crashing on the reverse process with every object I tried, simple or complex. 

You can find the vdb itself using the "open vdb folder" button from the script interface. Alessandro has also included the shader, so you can make your vdb work with any primitive of your choice by 1) applying that shader to the object 2) navigating to where you put the VDB in the shader.

Hi, volume-to-mesh should work flawlessly, just selecting a vdb will produce and load the obj in Studio. Let me know if it works, me and my testers didn't have issues with that. Ciao

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

SickleYield said:

simis said:

Hi, volume-to-mesh should work flawlessly, just selecting a vdb will produce and load the obj in Studio. Let me know if it works, me and my testers didn't have issues with that. Ciao

Aaah the answer is "I was doing it wrong" lol. Thanks, it's working now!

While I've got you here, what's the licensing on meshes generated from this? If I build a mesh, turn it into a vdb, and then turn that vdb back into mesh, can I use the resulting vdb and/or mesh in a commercial product?

Hi SY, I haven't tried the reverse Volume to Mesh, But I am happy I got this far. I got mine to work by using DIM to uninstall the first version and then reinstalling it. Once I did that it started working. I have so many ideas for this product.

• SickleYield said:

SickleYield said:

simis said:

While I've got you here, what's the licensing on meshes generated from this? If I build a mesh, turn it into a vdb, and then turn that vdb back into mesh, can I use the resulting vdb and/or mesh in a commercial product?

Hello, no there will be a Pro version soon that will allow to resell and use commercially  everything produced through the script. Cheers.

SickleYield said:

SickleYield said:

simis said:

Hello, no there will be a Pro version soon that will allow to resell and use commercially  everything produced through the script. Cheers.

Okay. Thanks!

• Alessandro Mastronardi said:

solisphotography said:

I've got it fixed now and am having a blast playing around. Thanks.

• solisphotography said:

solisphotography said:

I've got it fixed now and am having a blast playing around. Thanks.

Awesome. I'll shortly have more movies added to the playlist (see first post here) to fully exploit the script. Ciao

• I'm getting "/data/DAZ 3D/Built-in Content/Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume/Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume.dsf" so i'm missing essentials i guess probably from the basics of 4.2

• DisparateDreamer said:

I'm getting "/data/DAZ 3D/Built-in Content/Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume/Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume.dsf" so i'm missing essentials i guess probably from the basics of 4.2

Hello, yes that means the 4.20 installation is missing critical files for using volumes. Probably reinstalling the application is necessary.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited April 2022

Hey guys, so check out the second tutorial I made: 28 minutes of volumetrics galore!

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • RandWulfRandWulf Posts: 132

The new video is great -- thank you.

• RandWulf said:

The new video is great -- thank you.

You'ew welcome. More to come showing more complex examples and use.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    According to your video, vdb files can be exported to other software but what about importing vdb files from other software?
    edited April 2022

AnEye4Art said:

According to your video, vdb files can be exported to other software but what about importing vdb files from other software?

You can easily do that, just go into the volume surface and browse another .vdb file. Once it's there you can render it, or even use the script to convert it to mesh. And maybe reconvert it to volume with different settings... infinite possibilities...

does this make sense ?

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

AnEye4Art said:

You can easily do that, just go into the volume surface and browse another .vdb file. Once it's there you can render it, or even use the script to convert it to mesh. And maybe reconvert it to volume with different settings... infinite possibilities...

does this make sense ?

Yes, Sir. Thank you.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500

It does not work for me - in Vdb folder is only zzz.obj file and nothing else.

In render / iray preview the Volume Node shows nothing.

Any tips.

edited April 2022

Artini said:

Any tips.

Hi, read the first post: there is a problem with the initial release installer. New, updated installer should be out anytime, but in the meantime you can fix it yourself very quickly. Let me know if it's all good. Cheers

PS: actually, take a look at the first movie here, it shows how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzUOVK5mlH3oJA1TbeNPkIlOG1M_8n4YY

Artini said:

Any tips.

Hi, read the first post: there is a problem with the initial release installer. New, updated installer should be out anytime, but in the meantime you can fix it yourself very quickly. Let me know if it's all good. Cheers

PS: actually, take a look at the first movie here, it shows how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzUOVK5mlH3oJA1TbeNPkIlOG1M_8n4YY

Hi, thanks. Now it works. Has missed the fix on the previous page.

• Artini said:

Artini said:

Any tips.

Hi, thanks. Now it works. Has missed the fix on the previous page.

Great. Sorry about the issue anyway, the installer should be fixed soon. Take a look also at the playlist, I'll be adding more movies to show how get the most out of this tool.

I am already amazed and playing around with different materials / shaders on the converted back to mesh volumes.

Thanks a lot for creating such a wonderful tool.

• Artini said:

I am already amazed and playing around with different materials / shaders on the converted back to mesh volumes.

Thanks a lot for creating such a wonderful tool.

Thanks to you sir!