Daz Studio 4.20[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• lutherdan_f779727b4f said:

Open 4.20 and you see the screen in the factory layout. Adjust the layout, move the view port screen, adjust everything to your liking. After use, close the App. Next load it will be on the default screen with all your changes gone. Is there any location to stop that behavior? After looking in Prefrences I am not able to find one. 

You can save it as a custom layout (Window - Workspace - Save Layout As). However, there is a bug in the current release, which has been fixed in the new Public Beta 4.20.0.3 release.

• Hi all,

I have massive issues with DAZ since the update. Rendering is extremely slow, I had to go down to FullHD and still there's almost no process. What could have happened here?

I'm a fairly new user, so far it's been great but now since 4.20 rendering has become almost impossible, even with much lower settings than I had before - it used to be fast on QHD, now FullHD takes forever.

Appreciate all help.

Cheers,

M.

• MadHammerMadHammer Posts: 34
    edited February 2022

Nevermind, info was totally messed up, after further testing.

Post edited by MadHammer on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,025

marsilio.ricino said:

Hi all,

I have massive issues with DAZ since the update. Rendering is extremely slow, I had to go down to FullHD and still there's almost no process. What could have happened here?

I'm a fairly new user, so far it's been great but now since 4.20 rendering has become almost impossible, even with much lower settings than I had before - it used to be fast on QHD, now FullHD takes forever.

Appreciate all help.

Cheers,

M.

At a guess, your renders used your GPU before and now use the CPU. Try updating your GPU drivers.

• MadHammer said:

faibolx said:

barbult said:

faibolx said:

MadHammer said:

I was the person who responeded to Sabby with the Notepad++ trick. Also anyone not using Notepad++ should install it right away and never open the Windows Notepad app again. So, So, So much better and is Open Source and updated regularly. 

I have only one Sabby product, so I can't say a lot about what is affected or not, mine had the typo. I am just learning DAZ and trying to get by with as few packages as possible so I don't have a lot of expereince with content. But what I did to make it easier was to open Notepad++, then in Windows Explorer navigate to the directory with all the material .duf files for that character. Since I didn't want to look at every one to see which was or wasn't affected I just dragged and dropped the entire collection of .duf files into the Notepad++ window, then did my Replace all in Open Documents. It will only modify files it needs to, then a Save All only saves the modified .duf files, leaving the rest untouched. 

Obviously this won't work with compressed files, so if you ever have to modify one of those, just note that 7-Zip (and I am sure other compression apps) will simply uncompress the compressed .duf files with no issues.

On another note re. 4.20; I am also having the every OOT haircolor I try renders as black. Are we expecting some workaround for this or is it totally up to OOT to fix this issue? 

I tried to follow the steps you mentioned, went to My Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/SASE/Alanna , inside this folder there's another called materials, I sorted by type and dragged all duf files to notepad++ , did the replace thing (//Runtime for /Runtime ) Saved all and closed. But I'm still getting the error when trying to load the character, maybe I did something wrong?

You are supposed to find all //runtime and change them to /runtime. Did you accidently do it backwards and find /runtime and change them to //runtime?

No, as I said I searched  //Runtime and replaced with /Runtime. Found and changed 23 coincidences. But I still getting a pop up window telling me eyes are missing.

As far as I know the only SABBY files affected are the All Maps and Eye Colour files, rather than using  LIST view in Windows Explorer use DETAILS so at the very least we can see the file dates, anything saved by Notepad++ will have today's date on it.

As you can see I made changes yesterday, so the date says 02/24/2022 but problem is still there

C3.jpg
    621 x 872 - 146K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,449

faibolx said:

As you can see I made changes yesterday, so the date says 02/24/2022 but problem is still there

Means that DS is reading files that are installed to another location. (...Data\Cloud\1_xxxxx\) 

• Since the Nvidia discussion has been closed for the 4.20 release, thought I would ask here what the driver requirement was for 4.20?  Not going to download it yet, just wondered what the requirement was.  I have an older GeForece GTX 1080.

Thanks.

• Muon Quark said:

Since the Nvidia discussion has been closed for the 4.20 release, thought I would ask here what the driver requirement was for 4.20?  Not going to download it yet, just wondered what the requirement was.  I have an older GeForece GTX 1080.

Thanks.

Looking at the Daz Change Log, it looks like the Minimum driver is 471.41 on Windows for GPU rendering.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

I'm running 471.68 on Windows 7 pro and Studio 4.20 works with both my 980 TI and 1080 TI.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 548
    edited February 2022

Thanks for the info.

Edit to add:  I have 465.89.  Will update when I'm sure it's safe.

Thanks!

Post edited by Muon Quark on
  • Lots of problems, I see. 

I really have one question: Does Pin actually mean Pin yet?

• This must be the worst update Daz ever has done. Today decided to do a fresh installation. As I read before here, you save your workspace, when Daz loads ignores it. no

• faibolx said:

This must be the worst update Daz ever has done. Today decided to do a fresh installation. As I read before here, you save your workspace, when Daz loads ignores it. no

That has been fixed in the Public Beta release.

• faibolxfaibolx Posts: 71

DoctorJellybean said:

faibolx said:

This must be the worst update Daz ever has done. Today decided to do a fresh installation. As I read before here, you save your workspace, when Daz loads ignores it. no

That has been fixed in the Public Beta release.

I'm affraid I also got that issue somebody mentioned here, the menus changed , controls disappeared, had to move back to 4.16 and everything is fine there.

• faibolxfaibolx Posts: 71

DoctorJellybean said:

faibolx said:

I've been getting some error when loading characters' textures, even if I choose "Locate" on the pop up error window. The funny thing is I need to asign them on Surfaces tab and save changes, but I'm affraid I'll get this issue each time I load a character

Which characters, apart from SASE?

Sorry for my late answer to your question, I have some custom characters that use FWSA components, and when loading the path is also missed

• WholfeWholfe Posts: 8

So I downloaded the update for the general release today that was supposedly going to fix the layout not being saved upon closing issue or the fact that Daz no longer sees saved layouts at all. It didn't fix it. It works GREAT in the beta version though. I think they forgot to put the update into the general release version.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

I'm not seeing an update for neither the general release nor the beta.

I checked DIM and my account page.

The beta is version 4.20.0.3

General Release is version 4.20.0.2

Are you seeing an update to version 4.20.0.3 for the general release?

• Right, the General reelase has not been updated. The Public Build has, but there is a new build pending which fixes some remaining issues so I would wait for that now.

• WholfeWholfe Posts: 8

Then the DIM is messing up because it had both an update for Daz Studio General release and Beta release.

• RamsusRamsus Posts: 8

Hi guys , maybe some one can help me, i have these scenes that take 12~16 minutes to render before i update, now i have notice that they are render in 50~60 minutes.

I just found this on my log
    2022-03-07 11:06:41.591 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060): Optimizing for cooperative usage (performance could be sacrificed)
    Never see this message before, and also my Gpu usage keep dropping during the render, before as always 100% usage, someone can help me?

Studio 4.20.0.2 
    Gpu Driver 511.65 Studio

If i post on wrong place , just let me know.

• RamsusRamsus Posts: 8

Already fixed, sorry to bother. 

• The RED CrownThe RED Crown Posts: 247
    edited March 2022

I update daz studio to get last update version of iray .

Otherwise, I don't need to update the app and i don't need the features.

Post edited by The RED Crown on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

Here's an update on @jag11's light leak problem, i.e. this problem:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7362561/#Comment_7362561

I did a complete repro from scratch to eliminate any possible gremlins in the original .duf:

1. Create a primitive cube (1m, 1 face) base color red, glossy color green (the colors make the problem more obvious)
    2. Create a camera, default
    3. Create a tonemapping node, set tonemapping to off (required with my system to see the low level illumination).
    4. Create an environment node (all defaults)
    5. Go to render settings/general and set auto-headlamp to "Never" (or it could be done on the camera)
    6. Go to render settings/Progressive rendering and set:
      1. Max samples -1 (turn off limits)
      2. Max time 0
      3. Rendering quality 0.1 (speeds things up a lot)
      4. Rendering covergence ratio 100% (so that the dialog reports the actual convergence)
    7. Create a primitive cube (100m, 1 face)
    8. Select the camera in the viewport, set local dimensions to something small - I used "square" and 480 pixels
    9. Render

With those settings I get convergence to 85.49% in a matter of a few frames then convergence stops increasing.  After about 20 minutes (this is a TitanXP) I see this:

image  Convergence is 97.03% here after 14730 iterations.  Adjusting the Dome (Ruins) environment map intensity from the default, 2, to 0.02 also shows initial fireflies but the render converges rapidly to black.  Adjusting the map to 200 results in a brighter scene (but not by a factor of 100) and no reported convergence beyond 85.49% after 34033 iterations.  Clearly that last 15% of the pixels are stuck somehow...

Changing the base color of the outer sphere from white to black results in a black render after 35 iterations.

We know from @jag11's previous test that it isn't an issue of the edges of the outer cube ending up non-aligned because of iteration differences (a classic computer science problem).  So, having eliminated that and verified that the base color of the outer cube is having an effect, it certainly seems likely that the outer cube has a very, very small translucency, of the order of maybe 1 part in 1 million.  I don't know if this is new in 4.20; maybe it always was that way.

This has to be translucency, not transmission (refraction weight), because the light intensity and behavior is affected by the base color; for example a base color of blue produces a black inner cube with a blue background.

My current hypothesis is that this is caused by internal calculations of the translucency value somehow causing the value used to be not-quite-zero.  I can manually set the translucency to 4E-8 and I get a well lit scene, if I set it to 3E-8 I get the same as above.  Those values are close to the precision of a IEEE 4 byte floating point value, but that would only matter if they were used in arithmetic with a value close to 1.0, supporting my hypothesis.

In a scene with a low light level the light penetration does certain affect the rendering and produce fireflies, here's the scene with translucency 4E-8, it's 32.91% converged after 2977 iterations:

image Note the glossy reflection fireflies (green).  The environment map was set to 200 in that render.

The effect on real scenes illuminated to EV13 is minimal; as an experiment I added a point light parented to the camera and at Z offset -10 (to it's in full view) then turned "render emitter" off.  With the default settings (1500lm) I get pretty much instant black with tonemapping at EV13.  After multiplying the pointlight luminous flux by 8192 (to take account of the EV I get complete convergence in 736 iterations (default environment map, rendering quality still 0.1):

Unfortunately EV values of 0 or, indeed, lower, are common indoors when there is no external illumination (e.g. night).  Typical domestic incandescent lighting produces EV levels around 0.  Switching off the dome; setting the environment map to "None" does not fix the problem, neither does setting the dome to a "night time" HDR!  Changing to "Scene only" does work.  Sun-sky only does not (with the default settings), although as might be expected it does if I change the time to 6AM.

My conclusion is that this is a serious bug for low light level renders; it is counter intuitive that rendering at the physically correct luminance level would result in significant spurious extra rendering time to produce convergence and arithmetic errors of this sort really should be eliminated.

Darkness 2 map 0x1 +pointlight 100% 736 iterations.png
    480 x 480 - 279K
  • @jbowler Good analysis of the problem.

I would just add that I have noticed when working with emissive surface luminance value that the floating point value entered in the property is truncated to 32-bit float precision after you press <Enter>.

For example, if you enter 100000000000 as luminance, it will be truncated by Daz Studio to 99999997952.0 which is the limit of 32-bit float.

I am not sure if this is the limitation of the GUI widgets used for numeric value entry, but if true that means any value you enter will be slightly misrepresentted to Iray backend and could lead to incorrect results or at least results different from those we expect.

Even the simplest, commonly used value such as 0.1 is impossible to represent exactly in a 32-bit float, which means that any value other than 1.0 and 0.0 you enter anywhere in Daz Studio could introduce slight calculation errors further down the pipeline. That is, of course, assuming that Iray expects double precision values, and that those 32-bit, truncated, values get promoted to double when passed to Iray.

Out of curiosity, did you perhaps try to change the shader for the outer cube surface? Does switching to Weighted or PBR Specular / Glossiness from PBR Metalicity / Roughness change the outcome?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Does anyone know whether the latest version(s) of DAZ Studio improve the wait time for closing the program? I know that the problem is due to the number of morphs that need to be loaded (or unloaded) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this has been addressed. I can't find the thread in which it was discussed though.

• marble said:

Does anyone know whether the latest version(s) of DAZ Studio improve the wait time for closing the program? I know that the problem is due to the number of morphs that need to be loaded (or unloaded) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this has been addressed. I can't find the thread in which it was discussed though.

Some people haev reported seeing a change. The log is certainly more detailed about what is being done during shutdown now.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

Has anyone else noticed slowdown issues with the viewport? It seemed at first like the update had actually sped things up, but now scenes that had no issues before are lagging a ton even if I'm not using the Iray preview. 

I suspect this may be an issue with my hardware, unfortunately, but figured I'd ask. 

• Hello DAZ3D, I haven't been active for quite a while now and have a question regarding Studio. With all the changes I've seen so far, is it safe to say that Studio does all and more than Carrara does these days. I.E. rigging, morphing, shading, modelling etc..Thanks in advance.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,146

No, Carrara is much more fully featured than DS. DS has no modeling capabilities whatsoever, no solid body physics (and dForce can be used to approximate soft body physics, but that's not what it's for), no native particle system, still a pretty buggy and rudimentary animation system, etc. I've never used Carrara, so I can't speak to how easy or difficult it is to use, but for me, the ease of use is the biggest benefit of DS, and the fact that it's still being developed does arguably give it a leg up over Carrara.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2022

DAZ provides hexagon for free as a modeler with a bridge to studio, so both of them together can probably replace carrara. Most of us use blender though instead of hexagon. Or to export daz assets to blender with diffeomorphic then render and animate in blender.

Post edited by Padone on