Daz Studio 4.20[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 548

DoctorJellybean said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Muon Quark said:

I don't know if this is related but I noticed on SASE Characters (I have Maren, Sprout, Tillie, and Welda), DS is not finding a specific eye file (SASETillieEyesB_1007.jpg).  It's the same "EyesB_1007.jpg file with the character's name in it.  This file is there, DS is just not finding it.  I noticed this after doing the second 4.20 upgrade. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks.

This is a known issue because the paths in the .duf files start with //Runtime instead of /Runtime.

The PA is in the process of updating all the affected SASE products.

Thank you both!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

A new animated short for your entertainment pleasure Ha!

Skating around town.

took 2 days to make - created and rendered with daz studio 4.2.0

click image to play best viewed in 1080HD

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,131

Ivy, that was pretty impressive!

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

I agree, very well done @Ivy.

I love how she avoids all the manhole covers, and her little dance moves are well executed.

10/10 :)

Thanks Guys I appreciate you watching and thanks for the nice comments i am glad you enjoyed it :)smileyheart

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 762

@Ivy Excellent animation and smooth skating (and skate-dancing)! Really an amazing job and completed in only 2-days is impressive! I must say that I thought she was going to bite-it when that bus came at her, and then the red car... I think she just used up 2 of her lives.

@robertswww

Thank you very much :)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    edited March 2022

It is impressive as a production demo.

As for the animation itself the girl needs some more/better secondary animation on the hair and skirt. Or make her with short hair or a skate helmet and pants instead. There's not acceleration and deceleration when she steps on the skates that makes her flowing on a "magnetic levitation" track instead of skating. Also the girl doesn't react at all when she's going to hit the car that makes the scene lifeless.

Post edited by Padone on

Padone said:

It is impressive as a production demo.

As for the animation itself the girl needs some more/better secondary animation on the hair and skirt. Or make her with short hair or a skate helmet and pants instead. There's not acceleration and deceleration when she steps on the skates that makes her flowing on a "magnetic levitation" track instead of skating. Also the girl doesn't react at all when she's going to hit the car that makes the scene lifeless.

Thanks for your imput smiley

• golem841golem841 Posts: 126

I'm still using the 416.03 : it's not an example of absolute stability, but it works quite well.

I'm waiting for an iteration of 4.20 without too many complaints, I unfortunately didn't back up my 4.16

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 468
    edited March 2022

Skating around town.

Ivy,

Very nice.  How did you accompolish setting up a path for the skater since that does not seem to be a feature thatis native to Daz Studio as it is in iClone or Poser?

Post edited by jjoyner on
    edited March 2022

jjoyner said:

Skating around town.

Ivy,

Very nice.  How did you accompolish setting up a path for the skater since that does not seem to be a feature thatis native to Daz Studio as it is in iClone or Poser?

Thank you very much. and for the great question. 

I set the skater animation up with Ik-chains solution in mind for each scene.  i custom created a tube/cylinder primitive for the motion pathway and parent spheres-primitive's along the tube using it as a pathway for where i want the feet ik-chain to be pinned or unpinned . this way i can set the feet level manually for each keyframe the foot will make contact to keep the feet from dipping below the ground level

Once i have the basic animations completed I use the graph-editor or graph-mate to make finshing touches to complete the smooth motion bends to my animation (swaying side to side without the feet losing their set position.   I will add a deformer or 2 along the tube primitive which allows me to make any custom bends to the pathway in the tube to fit my needs of the animated scene, then once its complete, i bake the whole thing into the daz timeline  and resave the snimation as a animated preset and or a aniblock for reuse. it takes abut 8 or 9 minutes to set up this has been simple work around for a hard surface pinning solution its kind of cheating but it works for my needs

edited for spelling and to add a screen grab

Capture.JPG
    2440 x 1002 - 245K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 468

Thank you very much. and for the great question. 

Thanks for your detailed reply.  The works flow is a bit of detailed work.  I've been a hobbyist with this stuff for several years and now that I have retired, I have more time to explore and experiment with it.

Best of luck. I look forward to see what you come up with smiley

• josh.pactorjosh.pactor Posts: 43
    edited March 2022

I installed 4.20.0.2 from DIM, but now my workspace is completely broken! Color scheme, icons... all gone! I tried to pick a new layout, but the display for the layout select and style select are completely broken.

It looks like it was supposed to have keep my originals, but those files are now missing:

2022-03-25 17:07:38.918 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempactions.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempactions.dsx.bak
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.932 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempmenus.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempmenus.dsx.bak
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.939 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/temptoolbars.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/temptoolbars.dsx.bak
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.940 [INFO] :: Saving custom actions...
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.941 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempcustomactions.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempcustomactions.dsx.bak
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.944 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/templayout.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/templayout.dsx.bak

Screenshot 2022-03-25 171430.png
    784 x 844 - 570K
    Post edited by josh.pactor on
  • josh.pactor said:

I installed 4.20.0.2 from DIM, but now my workspace is completely broken! Color scheme, icons... all gone! I tried to pick a new layout, but the display for the layout select and style select are completely broken.

It looks like it was supposed to have keep my originals, but those files are now missing:

2022-03-25 17:07:38.918 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempactions.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempactions.dsx.bak
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.932 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempmenus.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempmenus.dsx.bak
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.939 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/temptoolbars.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/temptoolbars.dsx.bak
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.940 [INFO] :: Saving custom actions...
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.941 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempcustomactions.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/tempcustomactions.dsx.bak
    2022-03-25 17:07:38.944 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/templayout.dsx > C:/Users/joshp/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/templayout.dsx.bak

It looks like DS was running when you installed it. Make sure DS is closed (check the taskmanager), uninstall and reinstall.

• 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 678

With the previous release I had not any problem. Since I updated to 4.20.0.2 I lost my toolbars :( Yes, I can load layout, but in that case I lost all custom script from menu I saved since  I last time I saved my custom style.
    And DS was closed when I installed.

• 3D-GHDesign said:

With the previous release I had not any problem. Since I updated to 4.20.0.2 I lost my toolbars :( Yes, I can load layout, but in that case I lost all custom script from menu I saved since  I last time I saved my custom style.
    And DS was closed when I installed.

A script has been added to assist with the UI customizations in new installations issue. See the first entry in Known Issues - General.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551251/daz-studio-4-20-0-x-pro-general-release/p1

• Anyone know if Maxwell and Maxwell 2.0 architecture nvidia gpus such as Quadro M6000 24gb and Tesla M40 12gb are still supported and for how much longer if at all? I have $1300 in gpus (a m6000 24gb and two m40 12gbs hence the question) and i need to know if and when i need to say goodbuy to them sell them and upgrade.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414

RemiliaSutton said:

Anyone know if Maxwell and Maxwell 2.0 architecture nvidia gpus such as Quadro M6000 24gb and Tesla M40 12gb are still supported and for how much longer if at all? I have $1300 in gpus (a m6000 24gb and two m40 12gbs hence the question) and i need to know if and when i need to say goodbuy to them sell them and upgrade.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_14_0_10

• Update to NVIDIA Iray RTX 2020.1.0 (334300.2228)

• Adds support for Ampere generation GPUs (SM 8.0 / GA100)

• Removes support for SM 3.X/Kepler generation GPUs - due to CUDA 11

• Deprecates SM 5.0/“Small” Maxwell generation GPUs - matching CUDA 11

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.12.2.31

Couldn't find the wiki article, which listed the different "SM" versions for Maxwells

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790

I really have to say, that there is that tiny improvement, I love so much. To finally have direct access to the *.duf file from your Parameter Settings tab.
    No longer searching for the file with my explorer.

• dshielddshield Posts: 48

Hiya.
    I just updated to the new version and now i cant render in IRAY.
    Anyone else have this problem, or anyone know a quick fix?

Thanks in Advance
    D

• Check that your driver isn't too old for the newer version of Iray https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7277511/#Comment_7277511

• dshielddshield Posts: 48

Thank you Richard!
    Excellent advice as always.
    That dealt with the problem.
    Thank you very much.
    D

• homerbrainhomerbrain Posts: 8
    edited April 2022

New version, 4.20, quite apart from the trauma of ghost lighting, is now rendering much slower than 4.19 and giving a much noisier result. Compare the two image snippets. Any suggestions? I normally render on Pixel Filter mitchell/1.00 for a slightly crisper image and played with the default Gaussian/1.50, no effect. Other than fixing my lights, nothing changed in the scene or settings.

4.19 and 4.20 difference.png
    422 x 238 - 137K
    Post edited by homerbrain on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,131
    The common advice is be sure your graphics driver is recent enough to meet the 4.20 version requirement, and check to see if the render fell back to CPU and terminated based on criteria other than convergence.
  • JovanniJovanni Posts: 87

Is it possible to add an additional option for exporting obj "Export only selected"?
    Sometimes it can be tedious to turn off all objects in a scene in order to export one thing from the scene. 

• Jovanni said:

Is it possible to add an additional option for exporting obj "Export only selected"?
    Sometimes it can be tedious to turn off all objects in a scene in order to export one thing from the scene. 

That has been added to the Daz Studio OBJ exporter.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

marble said:

Does anyone know whether the latest version(s) of DAZ Studio improve the wait time for closing the program? I know that the problem is due to the number of morphs that need to be loaded (or unloaded) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this has been addressed. I can't find the thread in which it was discussed though.

To answer my own question: the long shutdown is still with us. I installed the 4.20 beta and, if anything, the wait time is even greater.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414

marble said:

marble said:

Does anyone know whether the latest version(s) of DAZ Studio improve the wait time for closing the program? I know that the problem is due to the number of morphs that need to be loaded (or unloaded) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this has been addressed. I can't find the thread in which it was discussed though.

To answer my own question: the long shutdown is still with us. I installed the 4.20 beta and, if anything, the wait time is even greater.

Having duplicate morphs, can hang closing DS for ever.

I was wondering, why the lashes didn't remember their dial settings. Every other time I opened a scene, they had reverted to default.
    Started searching and found out that some creators had included the morph for the lashes in their product, saving the lash morphs in their own character folders.
    While searching for the lash morphs, found also G8 base morphs duplicated the same way in other characters.
    Deleted the duplicates I found and haven't had DS hang on closing since. Previously I had to close DS with the Taskmanager at least half of the time.

Finding those duplicates is not about files with the same file name, but finding files that are the same.