Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'm aferaid this dforce outfit will be a waste of money.  anyone tried it?

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-genus-unknown-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited July 2021

Why a waste?

For me wanting to use it in Carrara, I'd start by opening Daz Studio and load in Genesis 3 and Genesis 1 and deselect and hide them both.

Load in the clothing and run the Transfer Utility to first convert from G8F to G3F, then save to the Genesis 3 Female > Clothing library under the name of the product, then delete the newly converted one and load in the one I just saved and convert it to Genesis 1, and save it to my Genesis 1 library, again under the name of the product.

EDIT: When running the Transfer Utility, I always expand the view "Show Options", put a check in the "Reverse Source Shape From Target", and deselect (at the bottom) "Parent to..."

see Content Generation Conversion for more details

Carrara doesn't have dForce, but it does have availlable the even more impressive and amazing VWD Cloth and Hair! So I'd use that.

Helpful articles:

Content Generation Conversion

Modeling for Genesis

Content Creation Tools - aka Daz Studio's Carrara Toolkit

Using Genesis in Carrara

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,785

I own it so I will try it for you, will update this post when I can

edited July 2021

Genus Unknown converted to blended weight works fine

but I forgot to do the parented chains

it has morphs including skirt movements so doesnt need Dforce

Genus Unknown.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 290K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited July 2021

finally something that does workyes

G8.1 HD morphs on G8 with Philemo's plugin!!!heart

while in DAZ studio also use map transfer to do the head and torso textures

wp291.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited August 2021

kewl.  thanks Wendy!

Post edited by Mistara on

we cant do nothin with dforce fur, right? no converting to fiber mesh?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

Mystiara said:

we cant do nothin with dforce fur, right? no converting to fiber mesh?

With the Daz to Blender plugin (or is it the Diffeomorphic one?) we can convert dForce strand hair to fiber mesh. Not sure how well it would export to something useable in Carrara, however.

edited October 2021

https://www.daz3d.com/restaurant-crime-scen

cannot save or even have shaders consolidated

a new weird issue frequently coming up with newer sets that load perfectly otherwise

wonder what causes it?

edited October 2021

deleting all the iray decals seems to have fixed the crime scene

drone's eye view video of WIP so far

Carrara native, will do Octane one too when I have fixed all the shaders and animated fans and drones

I should have reloaded it, I just discoved not all the UVs unticked until save after using Shadowhawks plugin

Octane render

UVs unticked I guess.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 558K
    edited October 2021

the Old Library works though as usual maps need chasing up

I need better lighting

Old Library000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 179K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 2021

Finally grabbed Tango alpha's Arch Cove.

Arch Cove | Daz 3D

When I drop anything into it - eg figure or even a primitiv spehere - I can't move the object fiv=gure with the usual tool - i can move it with the xyz coords by entering numbers

Apart from that everything I drop into the scene is locked (bar lights). I havent checked the objects that came with it though. 

Contraints are off.

Collison detection is off.

I've turnbed off all the replicators.

I have changed the screen preview to boxes etc.

Thanks for advice.

Happy 2022 too :)

edit I could move a rock once but it's like colison detection is on

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,615
    edited January 2022

Same problems, worth the hassle as very nice scene !!!

Moved Vicky via XYZ co-ords

Finished render

Vicky Arch Beach 1 WIP.png
    2282 x 1033 - 1M
    Vicky Arch Beach 1b Tpz.png
    1600 x 889 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

to be fair Vale Alpina gives me the same issues

Thanks Wendy, :) If i buy stuff that I am too lazy to make myself then I always get the grumble when I end up having to tweak it anyway :)

Must be getting old. But I grabbed some good renders - so worth the twouble.

Hope you are well!!!

Oh @WendyLuvsCatz have you tried exporting Let It Snow Geoshells yet from Daz studio to Carrara?

edited January 2022

Headwax said:

Oh @WendyLuvsCatz have you tried exporting Let It Snow Geoshells yet from Daz studio to Carrara?

no but since I own it apparently should try, I mean it won't work as geoshel but could on a duplicated mesh 

it depends if it's a bespoke iray MDL shader, Philemos PBR should handle the maps if DAZ Uber

We are so lucky in having you as a brain's trust!

Headwax said:

it may be a while before I try it though, Chrismas over and we don't have snow here now anyway 

if I am the brains trust is that because a Zombie would be trusted not to notice mine?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Headwax said:

it may be a while before I try it though, Chrismas over and we don't have snow here now anyway 

if I am the brains trust is that because a Zombie would be trusted not to notice mine?

heh, well to be honest, where ever i go searching for answers on the daz forum i find you have already been there answering the questions of others. Not that you wver get any thanks i see. So thanks from me.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2022

Argh. 

Render room error mystery.  This is an error I got using Ysabeau by Thorn for G2F.  The scene had G2F wearing the Bobbie25 Centurian armor, the toon rocket, and 2 G2Ms wearing space suits.  The error gives no hint to the cause.  I ended up going through the scene and turning off the visibility of everything.  I then turned each element on one by one.  The error only occurs when the G2F with Ysabeau is the visible object.  It seems unlikely that it is the G2F geometry causing the problem.  The way I loaded the textures was I applied a Carrara-dedicated DP skin shader for another character to G2F global tab then substituted in the Ysabeau texture maps.  You can see the error occurring when the render boxes reach the head area but that doesnt mean the problem wasnt calculating soemthing else.

Argh.

EDIT: can I emphasize even more how unhelpful the error message is?

an error has occurred.jpg
    1143 x 806 - 73K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited January 2022

Argh.

Maybe cause is still not known.

Starting a new scene and loading just a G2F with the Ysabeau maps did not cause the error.

Has anyone gotten a render error when some objects with visibility unchecked?  I don't remember for sure, but I think the toon rocket visibility was unchecked when I first got the error.

• Any chance you're running out of memory? I believe that the render engine will load texture maps when they are needed and not at the beginning of the render.

BrianP21361 said:

Any chance you're running out of memory? I believe that the render engine will load texture maps when they are needed and not at the beginning of the render.

Might be possible, but I have rendered bigger scenes.  Worth checking.  Thanks.

• Might not be the size of the scene. It could be the size of the textures. You mentioned Ysabeau maps.

edited January 2022

OK, that is probably it combined with other stuff.  I don't remember which face maps I was using, but if it wasn't the default it increases a lot.  And the error occurred in the head area which again implicates the face map.

Thanks

ysabeau maps.jpg
    633 x 560 - 109K
  • RuudLRuudL Posts: 189
    edited January 2022

Perhaps tweaking the Scratch Disk Preferences, especially the Reserved Memory size for texture spooling, might solve your problem. Excerpt from the Carrara manual:

PreviewScreenSnapz003.png
    787 x 881 - 184K
    Post edited by RuudL on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790
    edited May 2022

Has anyone bought Pufflet the Bunny by @Hypertaf and loaded into Carrara after converting the weight painting?

It just hangs at 50%

all the other products by same PA load fine after converting except for this bunny..

it hangs with no fur and or with fur.. yep I tried both

any clues as to why?

puffletbunny.png
    1232 x 1012 - 160K
    puffletbunny2.png
    1074 x 790 - 160K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Do PBM's work in Carrara on V4, M4, etc?  I'm thinking of getting a morph pack from Rendo that uses PBM's.