Off Topic Thread #2

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Diomede said:

Oh, Wendy, that hail really sucks.  I hope you didn't have a lot of damage.  Hail is a regular part of life in the parts of Texas I have lived.  The worst storms in Texas were usually in March and April, but hail and thunderstorms can happen any time.  I don't know the pattern in Arkansas yet.

I am OK but lots of smashed windscreens and dented cars around parts of Adelaide some from trees as well, orchards and market gardens lost produce too,

we are less used to it than the east coast

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

You have a lot of lush plants around yours, they seemed tough enough to withstand the ice-cubes raining down.surprise

Nice to hear your voice, too!  yes  SIlene

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Correction of my previous Texas post.  The worst inland storms (tornado, etc) that I experienced in Texas were generally in March and April.  The tornado band generally moves north after April, but they can happen at any time.  My correction is that I should be fair to SteveK and say the worst storms in Texas are not the tornadoes, they are the hurricanes.  Hurricane season is most frequent in September and October.  Last February, there was a bad winter storm that took out the Texas power grid while I was test-living in Corpus Christi.  Had something to do with me settling in Arkansas.  frown

the East coast of Australia will get the storm now, it hit Melbourne already and it was bad.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/weather/2021/10/29/trees-power-storm-victoria/

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,190

Diomede said:

...  My correction is that I should be fair to SteveK and say the worst storms in Texas are not the tornadoes, they are the hurricanes.  Hurricane season is most frequent in September and October.  Last February, there was a bad winter storm that took out the Texas power grid while I was test-living in Corpus Christi.  Had something to do with me settling in Arkansas.  frown

Hurricanes are certainly the bigger problem here on the Gulf Coast/Houston.  The only upside is that we get several days warning, unlike tornadoes.  I grew up in Oklahoma where the tornadoes can be blocks wide and run for miles.  Here in Houston, we do get tornadoes but usually smaller ones, sometimes spun off from hurricanes.   We've been in the same house, about 45 miles inland from Galveston, since 1974 and never had significant storm damage (I know, I should not say stuff like that).  Some houses in our suburb have had damage, in particular flooding during Tropical Storm Allison (2001), 40+ inches of rain in four or five days.

I was at work long ago in a downtown hi rise office tower, maybe halfway up a 40 floor building.  I was in the men's room when suddenly every male on the floor came in.  I was wondering what meeting just got out when we felt the building move under us a little.  A "swarm" of small tornadoes moved through causing the building to flex.  Back at my window cubicle, the window was gone and the mini blinds were waving out in the wind.  A manager told me gruffly "Don't go in there!"  I said "Don't worry!" 

Yeah, that winter storm left us with no power or heat for about four days, and temperatures well below freezing.  Lots of broken pipes in the city since the metal pipes in many homes are not designed for those temperatures, but we had had our house re-piped a few years earlier, using Pex, which is more freeze/break resistant.  Fortunately we had hot water so could warm up in the tub.  And we had a propane cooker for hot meals.  From our hurricane box ... smiley

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

@Diomede, I missed a lot of posts last year and early this year. When you retired, left DC and went on the road, I thought you went to visit relatives, and then chose to settle near them. Were you just checking out places where you wanted to retire?  Sorry I did not keep up when you were posting about your travel and retirement goals!

cheeky Silene

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

Melbourne Cup Day today downunder

Bets have been placed! cool frown

• R.I.P Hitfilm Express on my computer

you served me well but now since the last update we must part ways

I cannot even go into cache options and change the damned settings it freezes for hours angry

this new proxy thing they added kills my computer

Dartanbeck will you stop whispering Davinvi Resolve in my ear devil

I am Using Blender Video Editor now laugh

edited November 2021

Lots of lovely stuff in the store today

this looks beautiful 

but given the dramas I have had getting the last few new things I bought into Carrara I won't be buying any.

It took about 10 hours to import PW's customisable Pirate ship the other day

only consolation is I can actually render it in Carrara wink 

DAZ studio it won't fit on my graphics card so one picture takes hours CPU running hot not even 1% converged a few hours in cheeky

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

but given the dramas I have had getting the last few new things I bought into Carrara I won't be buying any.

Thanks for the update.  I was thinking about asking the current state of DS content in Carrara, but you beat me to it.  I gave up long ago, and apparently have no reason to try again.  Happily, I'm finding lots of new Poser content, just not here.

I put two PC+ items in the cart yesterday but didn't buy and didn't remove them.. waiting for something cheap and usefull to get the discounts

so this morning I get a you forgot to buy email .... sheeeesh

talk about stalkers! frown

I am thankful for the Carrara forum.  For the moment, this is the day Americans give thanks for their blessings.  Cheers.

Diomede said:

Australia.  Megaspider.  Yowzah.  

Australian officials uncover 'megaspider' with massive fangs (msn.com)

just a normal day downunder wink 

Diomede said:

Australia.  Megaspider.  Yowzah.  

Australian officials uncover 'megaspider' with massive fangs (msn.com)

Humorist Dave Barry has a blog that consists mostly of funny links that readers send him, and his comment.  He gets a lot like this with godawful toxic critters, and most of the time he just says "Guess the continent".  (Spoiler - Its the same as your link - they even have one of the world's only toxic birds).

and we have the only bird in the world to defeat humans in a war!  surprise

• just need a bigger glass to put over and sheet of paper to slide underneath to take it outside

imagine getting an ostrich leg in a snack box! surprise

Diomede said:

Emus (and ostriches), Texas edition.  https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/texas-ostrich-industry-boom-bust/

Nice post, Texas Monthly is always interesting.  

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Diomede said:

I am thankful for the Carrara forum.  For the moment, this is the day Americans give thanks for their blessings.  Cheers.

thanks for being thank full

• wonder why my torus has a gap in Octane, it's not the displacement as gap there without it too,

has no gap (or displacement, is an Octane shader now only) in the ass room either

the original shader I made didn't have a gap displaced in 3D view either

the torus has a gap with the default shader also, it is where the UV joins which is a full square sleeve

Capture.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 303K
    mesh octane.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 533K
    why gap.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 325K
  • I cannot include the texture as from a DAZ PA Shader set also since is happening in Octane only doubt solveablesurprise

UV.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 322K
    normals.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 370K
    zip
    zip
    snakering.zip
  • video

it's the UV mapping by looks of the image below using an Octane checkerboard

is UV.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 877K
    edited December 2021

Something silly.

gorn with the wind.jpg
    513 x 640 - 70K
    Post edited by Diomede on

I deleted my visa card from DAZ3d a long while ago and I use a different payment system

to my surprise when I went to purchase the asphalt textures (to use in Carrara ) they look pretty good and cheap enough there was my visa card details for payment!

So, when you think you've deleted your card from the DAZ system you really haven't.. DAZ sneaks it back in when you least expect it! angry

I deleted it again... no

edited December 2021

and who is ingest.quantummetric 

they always hang up the forum before erroring to the cloud! no

whoisthis.png
    512 x 330 - 53K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Booo.  That credit card news is most disturbing.  Boo, Daz3D, Booooo for keeping the credit card info after it was deleted.

• Stezza said:

and who is ingest.quantummetric 

they always hang up the forum before erroring to the cloud! no

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/519376/ingest-corrected-quantummetric#latest `

no real answers here either