NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets

This includes 911 presets (many are identical except for colors).

A few shaders are updated versions of those in vMaterials 1.7, but most are different. You probably want both.

Thank you to @Catherine3678ab and @Bejaymac for help with shader bricks!

These were automatically generated using a script and were generated with one of the shader networks shown in the vMaterials 1.7 thread.

If you have suggestions for improving the shader networks, I would love to hear them!

I have added support for adding a user specified cutout (recommended by @Catherine3678ab), but adding a cutout forces the material to be "Thin Walled" and so does not work as expected with all materials. I have not found a way to determine if a material is thin walled while generating the presets (other than if it already uses a cutout), so for some materials you must enable cutouts via an additional option.
Cutout Option

1. Install NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 (914 MB)
  2. Install NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets for DS (103 MB)
  3. Restart Daz Studio if it was open when you installed vMaterials
  4. Navigate to "/Shader Presets/NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0/~Setup"
    Setup Folder
  5. Run the "MDL Directory Manager" script
    1. If the new MDL directories were automatically found, click "Yes" to map them
      Map MDL directories prompt
    2. If the new MDL directories were not automatically found, map them manually
      MDL Directory Manager
  6. Click Accept
  7. Run the "Setup Metadata" script

Comments

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 359

Screenshots of contents attached.

Preview1.jpg
    1281 x 2916 - 2M
    Preview2.jpg
    1281 x 2916 - 2M
    Preview3.jpg
    1281 x 2916 - 2M
    Preview4.jpg
    1281 x 2916 - 781K
  • Its nice but you have to sign up as a developer.

• spaspa Posts: 42
    edited October 2021

And a big thanks to @Omniflux

Post edited by spa on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

yeah, thanks!

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

so.. i have no idea what is going on, but while the vMats 1.7 presets, that i installed yesterday, worked immediately (and still work now) just fine, the 2.0 don't... i did the same to install them afaik, and after everyhing crashed i had a look at the 1.7 forum  thread and then i verified that the /data etc folders are in exactly the same place as the 1.7 - and they are, with similar subfolders like carpet etc but with a 2.

at first, when i tried to run the mdl manager i got an error msg. same with the other script too. i can see all the thumbnails, and even apply a 2.0 shader to an object, but if i try to render or use the iray viewport view, ds crashes. i do the same with the 1.7 installed yesterday, everything works just fine...

btw i still use ds 4.11, dunno if this could be an issue?

what am i doing wrong?

• Is it worth checking to see if there is a driver standard requirement? Could be that or the DS version.
  • BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381
    edited October 2021

I have the newest driver for nVidia GTX1080TI (30..0.14.7196 dated 8/27/2021), downloaded and installed directly from the nVidia site. I have a similar problem, some shaders work, some don't, some shaders work one time and not another. Don't have any clue what's up.

Using 4.15.0.2 (64 bit).

System specs: AMD FX-8370E, 16GB Dual channel DDR3 @577mHz (8-7-7-20), ASUSTeK Sabertooth 990FX (socket 942), four drives - 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20 05FBYZ-01YCBB2 SATA Disk Device (SATA ) - 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 01FALS-00J7B0 SATA Disk Device (SATA ) - 111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120G SATA Disk Device (SATA (SSD)) - 111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120G SATA Disk Device (SATA (SSD)). Windows 7 Pro 64 bit sp 1, Crossover  Monitor LCD QHD 1 at 2560x1440.

Post edited by BronzeDragon on
    edited October 2021

@manekiNeko

Crashing like that means DS cannot find the MDL files. I have an open ticket with DAZ to resolve the issue of crashing instead of reporting an error to the user.

Did you install vMaterials 2.0.0 from NVIDIA?

If you install both 1.7.0 and 2.0.0 to their default locations, it should look like this

Screenshot.png
    1094 x 744 - 41K
    Post edited by Omniflux on

@BronzeDragon

Is DS crashing for you as well, or are the shaders just not applying? If DS does not crash, do you see any error messages?

edited October 2021

Omniflux said:

@manekiNeko

Crashing like that means DS cannot find the MDL files. I have an open ticket with DAZ to resolve the issue of crashing instead of reporting an error to the user.

Did you install vMaterials 2.0.0 from NVIDIA?

If you install both 1.7.0 and 2.0.0 to their default locations, it should look like this

yes, i installed the materials from nvidia, 2.0 with their installer and the prerequisites, i think 1.7 i did the same way or maybe manually, can't remember. and my path looks just like your printscreeen.

my gcard is way older, GeForce GT 540M, since my laptop is an antiquity, but i updated the drivers not so long ago. 

the error msg i get is literally that there is an error, like for example when you apply a shader but haven't selected an object. i looked at the log but no clue what it meant, could have been klingon or some ancient dead language.. i'm really really not tech versed

EDIT: i dunno if it's relevant, but i use "my library" for everything not purchased at daz, and "my daz library" exclusively for daz stuff. i also installed your presets manually without the dim stuff since i also only use dim for daz shop products...

EDIT 2: i joined a few printscreens and the logfile from appdata after total crash

clicking mdl dir manager.jpg
    699 x 373 - 96K
    click render after applying shader.jpg
    699 x 373 - 96K
    after changing viewport to iray view.jpg
    564 x 255 - 122K
    txt
    txt
    log.txt
    1M
    Post edited by manekiNeko on

What's in version 1.7 that one would still want to keep it once version 2.0? Is it just for backwards compatibility or is there a sizeable number of different materials between them?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955
    edited October 2021

Thank you so much for the quick updating of your awesome presets for vMaterials 2.0.. There are so many new materials I am like a kid in a candy store.. lol I do like the new effect pigment carpaints as the image below shows..

nonesuch00 said:

What's in version 1.7 that one would still want to keep it once version 2.0? Is it just for backwards compatibility or is there a sizeable number of different materials between them?

Checking the folders the vMaterials version 1.7 folders are still be there.. The other difference, with 2.0 is that they are no longer separated into AEC and Design folders, like 1.7 and earlier were..

One other thing I just noticed, and reason to keep version 1.7 is that there are some shaders not included in version 2.0.. So yes would be wise to keep version 1.7 and have version 2.0 as well..

Car.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 423K
    Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. When the shaders work, they work ok, but when they don't, I don't get an error message, not even a BSOD, just a straight shut down computer. Dead flat, no power. Restart widows "as normal". Go to the program and check the scene, nothing was saved if I didn't do it myself before hand. No problems ever with ver 1.7 files. Folder locations must be ok as some of the ver 2 materials work fine. At a loss, just have to make sure everything is saved on a very regular basis.

BronzeDragon said:

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. When the shaders work, they work ok, but when they don't, I don't get an error message, not even a BSOD, just a straight shut down computer. Dead flat, no power. Restart widows "as normal". Go to the program and check the scene, nothing was saved if I didn't do it myself before hand. No problems ever with ver 1.7 files. Folder locations must be ok as some of the ver 2 materials work fine. At a loss, just have to make sure everything is saved on a very regular basis.

About the only thing you can do is to check the windows error logs and see what it is reporting when these crashes happen.. As it could be hardware related as rather than software, it is really hard to know for sure what is doing it..

@manekiNeko

The MDL Directory Manager script doesn't work because it was saved for DS 4.12.0.86+. If you mapped both MDL directories manually already, then it is irrelevant, if not, you should be able to get to it through the Shader Mixer Pane edit menu.

I did some research and DS 4.11 only supports up to MDL 1.4. Some of the MDL files in vMaterials 2.0.0 state they are MDL 1.6, so there is a good chance that is the issue, especially as your logfile shows some MDL import errors.

However, I do not see an error about loading an MDL 1.6 file, so I am not sure it is even looking in the correct place.

Do you have C:/ProgramData/NVIDIA Corporation/mdl mapped as your first MDL directory?

nonesuch00 said:

There is some overlap, but they each contain a large number of unique shaders.

BronzeDragon said:

Using 4.15.0.2 (64 bit).

4.15.0.30 has a newer version of Iray which fixes several crashes related to Iray MDL. I don't know if any of them are relevent to this issue though, and can't unless someone else using 4.15.0.2 reports the same issue.

edited October 2021

Omniflux said:

@manekiNeko

The MDL Directory Manager script doesn't work because it was saved for DS 4.12.0.86+. If you mapped both MDL directories manually already, then it is irrelevant, if not, you should be able to get to it through the Shader Mixer Pane edit menu.

I did some research and DS 4.11 only supports up to MDL 1.4. Some of the MDL files in vMaterials 2.0.0 state they are MDL 1.6, so there is a good chance that is the issue, especially as your logfile shows some MDL import errors.

However, I do not see an error about loading an MDL 1.6 file, so I am not sure it is even looking in the correct place.

Do you have C:/ProgramData/NVIDIA Corporation/mdl mapped as your first MDL directory?

okay, i checked as you wrote through the shadermixer panel, found where to map directories, and no, i only had the base one (see attached file, it's in docs). so i added the path that you recommend - but honestly i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing.

i can map stuff like where to find poser folders, or geometries etc, but here i'm totally lost.

now before i screw up sth i'll wait for your feedback

mdl new path in shadermixer.jpg
    546 x 419 - 70K

@manekiNeko

You've added it as a new directory set, it needs to be added as a new base path in the current directory set instead.

Look at the first post in this thread for what it should look like.

Omniflux said:

@manekiNeko

You've added it as a new directory set, it needs to be added as a new base path in the current directory set instead.

Look at the first post in this thread for what it should look like.

right. now i mapped it correctly. and it still doesn't work... and once i render once - well rather get the err msg - then the renderer kinda hangs, if i try rendering again it says it's already in use, i have to quit ds and start again. worse, i dunno why, some 1.7 mats now don't work any more either... not 100% sure exactly those worked yesterday but i think, like ground leaves...

i don't think i have the nerve right now for more tech stuff, i already needed a long time to download the 2.00 mats, i'm a bit stuffed with this atm, i just needed some light untertainment with DS to balance the dark place i'm back in since yet another kitty went back to Bast, not hours trying to get stuff to work...

how can i get rid of absolutely everything, the 2.00 mats (i have low disk space so no room for items that don't work), the presets, the mapping, to the state it was about 1 day ago as i just installed the 1.7 presets (i had already dl the mats months ago, as catherine brought out her series of presets) and everything worked just fine? 

funny is, even the mdl mapping was "wrong", the 1.7 presets worked just fine, at least the few i tried out...

Omniflux said:

nonesuch00 said:

There is some overlap, but they each contain a large number of unique shaders.

OK, thanks for the information.

@manekiNeko

Remove the C:/ProgramData/NVIDIA Corporation/mdl directory from the MDL Directory Manager to get vMaterials 1.7 to work again.

Remove the following from your DS content directories

• /data/MDL to Shader Converter/mdl-vMaterials_2-*
    • /Runtime/Support/LOCAL_USER_NVIDIA_vMaterials_2_0_0_Shader_Presets.*
    • /Shader Presets/NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0
    • /Shader Presets/NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0.png

Uninstall NVIDIA vMaterials 2 in Windows Add/Remove Programs

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited October 2021

Hmm, the new vMaterials 2.0 shaders are not appearing at the Smart Content tab unlike the old 1.7 shaders. Did I do sommething wrong?

Never mind.  I managed to fix it.  laugh

Post edited by y3kman on
    edited October 2021

Omniflux said:

@manekiNeko

Remove the C:/ProgramData/NVIDIA Corporation/mdl directory from the MDL Directory Manager to get vMaterials 1.7 to work again.

Remove the following from your DS content directories

• /data/MDL to Shader Converter/mdl-vMaterials_2-*
    • /Runtime/Support/LOCAL_USER_NVIDIA_vMaterials_2_0_0_Shader_Presets.*
    • /Shader Presets/NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0
    • /Shader Presets/NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0.png

Uninstall NVIDIA vMaterials 2 in Windows Add/Remove Programs

thanks a lot for your detailed erasing list! now everything's gone..

and now everything works perfectly fine with vmats 1.7, i'm so happy! ^^
    i had a scare first as it still bugged, but then i verified the base path that had for some reason switched to docs but without mdl, no clue why, now it's corrected and everything is pea-chy! :D

just so we're on the same page, i'm perfectly aware that besides the fact that software & apps "sometimes" require a bit of tweaking, patience and tech work (which i neither yearn for nor i'm gifted for anyways, but right now it's the worst timing on top), a lot of issues come from the fact that my laptop is an old piece of crap, and that me being behind with 4.11 doesn't help either, and maybe there are bugs on daz's side as well.
    none of this is due to your excellent work, and generous sharing, not even mentioning your readiness to support us in the forum.
    so many thanks for your hard work despite those 2.00 mats not working on my system, and many thanks also for the 1.7 presets that worked perfectly at least for most of them. i really appreciate you giving us access to this flurry of materials.
    maybe at some point, when i either manage to upgrade DS (big chances 4.15 will generate monster issues so i guess i'll have to contact support for 4.14 or sth...) or get a new machine (yeah... hell freezing over etc, i can't even manage my most basic bills), i'll get back to this.
    nonetheless i'll keep the thread bookmarked, who knows.

• Omniflux said:

BronzeDragon said:

Using 4.15.0.2 (64 bit).

4.15.0.30 has a newer version of Iray which fixes several crashes related to Iray MDL. I don't know if any of them are relevent to this issue though, and can't unless someone else using 4.15.0.2 reports the same issue.

Wish I could upgrade, but it says that it is over a gig in size. I only have a very old, very bad, Verizon DSL connection (they don't think us people in the country deserve better - neither do the cable companies) to use to download. A gig file would take several hours to, even if noone else wanted to use the connection, and that again, only if it didn't keep crashing. I wish they would have just an upgrade package with just the specific files that changed rather than all the files.

Maybe when 5 comes out - if ever.

Thanks anyway.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

if I put a "_" in front of a folder so it's at the top then this is something I'm using more often than not; suffice it to say, yeah.

thank you so much for this freebie, these surfaces are indispensable. 

edited December 2021

One thing have found is after reading and trying to understand the licensing legalese on Nvidia's website, is to whether we are actually allowed to use these materials.. As on their website it seems to indicate that we may not really be allowed to..

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

Ghosty12 said:

One thing have found is after reading and trying to understand the licensing legalese on Nvidia's website, is to whether we are actually allowed to use these materials.. As on their website it seems to indicate that we may not really be allowed to..

That really doesn't make any sense at all.

Are you talking about repackaging and redistributing them?

Or personal use?

Personal use I don't see the problem. How could anyone look at a finished render and know what shader was used on a particular surface in the image/animation?

Redistribution I'm sure is against the license agreement.

Not sure which "licensing legalese on Nvidia's website" you are looking at, can you post a link?

The license included with the vMaterials archive allows usage AND redistribution under section 2.1, specifically sections 2.1.iii and 2.1.iv

edited January 2022

Omniflux said:

Not sure which "licensing legalese on Nvidia's website" you are looking at, can you post a link?

The license included with the vMaterials archive allows usage AND redistribution under section 2.1, specifically sections 2.1.iii and 2.1.iv

Here is the info that I ran into https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/about-nvidia/legal-info/ .. At the top of the page as well as under the Single Copy License section on that page.. I had a look at the PDF and at those sections and it really does have me even more confused now.. lol

IceCrMn said:

Ghosty12 said:

That really doesn't make any sense at all.

Are you talking about repackaging and redistributing them?

Or personal use?

Personal use I don't see the problem. How could anyone look at a finished render and know what shader was used on a particular surface in the image/animation?

Redistribution I'm sure is against the license agreement.

Sorry my bad on that I should of posted the link above to begin with.. lol  It is just the way that the legal mumbojumbo is written, that has/had me confused.. lol