How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited April 2021

I don't have that item so can't test it. In the product's feature list is Hood Simulation Back Help which presumably tells you how to accomplish it. Although I don't have the product, I have simulated a hoodie on a non-dForce clothing item (https://www.daz3d.com/urban-survivors-hd-for-genesis-2-female-s-and-male-s) so I can share how I did that. Not sure that's what your friend is trying to do though.

Basically, I set up two wind nodes, one from the front at 5 mph and one down the back at 1 mph.

I hid the figure's neck and head during the simulation as I wanted the hood to hang freely down the back. With the head visible, the hood can catch on it (which you may desire) or the hood can gather behind the neck in a dead wind zone and not fall completely. To hide everything related with the figure's head, select the neck then hold down the CTRL key and click on the open eye. That will hide the neck and all children. To reshow everything, repeat.by holding down the CTRL key and clicking the closed eye.

The images show frame 0, 4 and 10 of a 10 frame animated simulation. The last image shows the draped hood.

Frame 0:

Frame 4:

Frame 10:

Result:

Hoodie - 2 wind nodes - frame 0.jpg
    615 x 518 - 49K
    Hoodie - 2 wind nodes - frame 4.jpg
    641 x 480 - 47K
    Hoodie - 2 wind nodes - frame 10.jpg
    608 x 497 - 46K
    Hoodie - 2 wind nodes - result.jpg
    480 x 458 - 24K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,294

Ok I will show this to him and see if this can help him. Thank you.

• Kiwi-HawkKiwi-Hawk Posts: 88

Thank you very much, if I cant take off my hood that would be my next best option, will try this out, shame one has to mess so much just to get things looking right

Also, if you do this setup for the hood once, you can make the final state into a morph that can be used whenever needed with the particular product.

• Kiwi-HawkKiwi-Hawk Posts: 88
    edited April 2021

I got it to work some what,.. Tho that said with a long hair I'd much prefer I think to be able to remvoe the hood, which for me is much cleaner and I DON'T have to spend hours re running a sim to randomly by chance get the look I'm after. I having that option is cool for those that like that, great, but having the simple option would be nice too. Beside's if you export the sim is lost

Post edited by Kiwi-Hawk on

You can hide and/or delete polygons from any mesh. How well it looks depends upon the construction of the clothing. If the hood has an even seam around the main body of the clothing, it should work well. Use the geometry Editor to select the polygons you want to get rid of and delete them. Save the clothing as a Scene Subset (there's other ways to save as well) and you can reuse in other scenes.

• weird-grafxweird-grafx Posts: 44
    edited July 2021

Hi,

followed Your 75. Skin Indentation: Punch to Face tutorial with  G8F character. As soon as I start simulating the geometry of G8F and the sphere is exploding. Any idea where this can come from?

What I did:

Add dforce modifier to Gen8
    My collision object is a simple sphere with dforce modifier
    Gravity 0
    Air 0
    Created an influence map.
    Defined animation of the sphere
    Hide all unaffected geometry

Start simulation. On frame 1 it explodes.

Maybe someone has an idea?

Stefan

Post edited by weird-grafx on
    edited July 2021

Remove the dforce modifier from the sphere. You only need to scale it, not deform it. Spheres also explode because of the triangle polygons on the two ends unless you change some of the surface settings..

• RGcincy said:

Remove the dforce modifier from the sphere. You only need to scale it, not deform it. Spheres also explode because of the triangle polygons on the two ends unless you change some of the surface settings..

That fixed it!. Thanks a lot! 

• RGcincy said:

That fixed it!. Thanks a lot! 

Glad to help

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited July 2021

So how do I plump my pillow without negative gravity?  I don't want everything else in my sim falling upwards!  If I set stiffness to 1, it explodes.  Anything other than 1 it collapses like a deflated balloon.

I guess I'll export to Blender... Sigh...

Post edited by Robinson on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited July 2021

Use negative gravity but use simulate selected (after selecting your pillow and whatever it's interacting with). Once finished, change the gravity back and then change your selection before running more sims.

- Greg

selected.png
    1392 x 962 - 60K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

algovincian said:

Use negative gravity but use simulate selected (after selecting your pillow and whatever it's interacting with). Once finished, change the gravity back and then change your selection before running more sims.

- Greg

Sounds like it may just work!  Thanks for the tip.

edited August 2021

87. Another Look at Waves. In this example, the waves are made by moving a plane against a terrain. I used Mesh Grabber to create little hills on a sphere but there are many ways to create a useable terrain including with dForce or by assembling a group of primitive spheres and embedding them in a plane or sphere.

a. Create a primitive Y-positive sphere of 25 foot size, 64 segments and 64 sides. Reduce its Y-scale to 16%.

b. Use Mesh Grabber to grip a vertex. Set Falloff Radius to 65 to raise the vertex and areas around it. Repeat to give 6-7 overlapping hillocks.

c. Create a primitive Y-positive plane 15 feet in size with 250 divisions. Place it so it is buried in the side of the sphere, intersecting with some of the hillocks.

d. Add a dForce dynamic modifier to the plane.

e. In the surfaces pane, set the simulation Stretch and Shear Stiffness to 0.01. Set Density to 5000.

f. In the Simulation Settings pane, set environment Gravity and Air Resistance to 0. Set duration Frames to Simulate to Animated.

g. In the Timeline, set total frames to 61. Select the plane at frame 0 and click on the Create Keys button (key icon with a + sign).

h. Go to frame 1. Move the plane 3-4 units AWAY from the sphere (in my case, from a Z-translate of 41 to 45).

i. Run the simulation. You should see waves propagate away from the “island”.

Frame 0: No waves                                                                  

Frame 10: A few at the shoreline

Frame 20: Waves off the headlands

Frame 45: Two groups of waves interacting

Frame 60: Waves farther ashore

j. Use the Geometry Editor to create a rigid follow node (see 86. Making Waves step n for details).

k. Add a ship to the node and scale to match the scale of the waves and terrain.

l. To make the waves deeper, change the Y-scale of the plane to 300% (typically the vertical scale has no effect on a plane but since this one has been modified scaling is useful).

m. A render showing the waves in use.

Making Wave 2 - mesh grabber falloff.jpg
    363 x 168 - 12K
    Making Wave 2 - mesh grabber selection.jpg
    679 x 392 - 112K
    Making Wave 2 - plane in sphere.jpg
    666 x 492 - 71K
    Making Wave 2 - frame 0.jpg
    749 x 652 - 29K
    Making Wave 2 - frame 10.jpg
    749 x 652 - 31K
    Making Wave 2 - frame 20.jpg
    749 x 652 - 32K
    Making Wave 2 - frame 45.jpg
    755 x 658 - 36K
    Making Wave 2 - frame 60.jpg
    757 x 664 - 39K
    Making Wave 2 - frame 48.jpg
    800 x 640 - 271K
    edited August 2021

88. Making Waves 3 – Rings. Another way to make waves is to slap a sphere against a plane in a rapid burst.

a. Create a Y-positive plane 20 foot size with 250 divisions. Set Y-scale of the plane to 150% to better show the waves we will create.

b. Add a dForce dynamic modifier to the plane.

c. In the Surfaces pane set the plane’s Stretch, Shear and Bend Stiffness to 0.01. Set Density to 5000. Set Contraction-Expansion Ratio to 95%.

d. Add a dForce Weight Node.  Create an Influence Weight map. Right click in the viewport and choose Marquee Selection mode. Select all but the outside polygons of the plane. Right click in the viewport and choose Geometry Selection/Invert Selection. Right click in the viewport and choose Weight Editing/Fill Selected and use 0%. This will set the Influence weight to 0 on the outer edges.

You need to hold the edges in place, otherwise the slap of the ball will send the plane down into a well that will eventually suck a lot of the plane down into it (see image below).

e. Create a 1 foot sphere with 32 segments and sides.

f. Set up a 61 frame animation with the sphere slightly above the plane at frame 0. At frame 1 move the sphere so its top is just below the surface of the plane. At frame 2 move the sphere back up and away.

Frame 0:                                                                        Frame 1:                                                                      Frame 2:

g. Starting at frame 15, repeat the sphere down, sphere up and keep doing so for every frame until frame 32. This gives a rapid series of strikes.

h. In the Simulation Settings pane set Gravity to 0.

i. Run the simulation.

j. Rings will form and spread outward until they reach the sides of the plane. They will then be reflected back forming an interference pattern. At frame 61 the surface will no longer show the rings but just a set of waves.

Frame 5:                                                                                      Frame 15:

Frame 25:                                                                                    Frame 30:

Frame 40:                                                                                    Frame 50:

Frame 55:

k. For use in a scene, go to whatever frame has the look you desire. You can also save the plane out at that frame as an .obj file, then reimport it as an object or use Morph Loader Pro to make it into a morph to use on the plane.

Making Wave 3 - weight map.jpg
    642 x 370 - 18K
    Making Wave 3 - no weight map.jpg
    547 x 275 - 28K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 0.jpg
    559 x 443 - 21K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 1.jpg
    559 x 443 - 20K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 2.jpg
    559 x 443 - 21K
    Making Wave 3 - timeline.jpg
    1045 x 100 - 20K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 5.jpg
    559 x 443 - 21K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 15.jpg
    559 x 443 - 23K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 25.jpg
    559 x 443 - 23K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 30.jpg
    559 x 443 - 23K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 40.jpg
    559 x 443 - 24K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 50.jpg
    559 x 443 - 24K
    Making Wave 3 - frame 55.jpg
    559 x 443 - 24K
    edited August 2021

In my dForce experiments I've used a lot of primitives to create objects. Planes are of course 2-dimensional but so are the cut-outs in cylinders, spheres, and cubes as well. I went back to my very first experiments making blankets from a draped plane and used the new product Thickener Plug-In on it. The plug-in duplicates the mesh and joins it to the original with an edge whose thickness you can control. Makes dForcing of primitives even more attractive. Photos with and without thickening below. I also thickened the clothing in the scene.

With:

Without:

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited August 2021

The thickness adds a nice touch to the blanket.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited September 2021

89. Making Mountains 2. I’ve previously shown how to make mountains using a plain and spheres. This method is an alternate way of making mountains which are more symmetrical in shape. It’s similar to making waves discussed in the previous section

a. Create a Y-positive plane 10 foot size with 250 divisions.

b. Add a dForce dynamic modifier to the plane.

c. In the Surfaces pane set the plane’s Stretch and Shear Stiffness to 0.01. Set Density to 10,000. Set Contraction-Expansion Ratio to 120%.

d. Add a dForce Weight Node.  Create an Influence Weight map. Right click in the viewport and choose Marquee Selection mode. Select all but the outside polygons of the plane. Right click in the viewport and choose Geometry Selection/Invert Selection. Right click in the viewport and choose Weight Editing/Fill Selected and use 0%. This will set the Influence weight to 0 on the outer edges.

e. Create a 1 foot sphere with 32 segments and sides.

f. Create a 9 foot torus with 3 inch diameter, 32 segments, and 64 sides.

g. Set up a 61 frame animation with the sphere slightly above the plane at frame 0. At frame 1 move the sphere down so its bottom is just above the surface of the plane. At frame 2 move the sphere further down so the top is just above the surface of the plane. At frame 4 move the sphere up and away.

h. At frame 0, position the torus slightly above the plane at frame 0. At frame 1, move the torus down so its top is just below the plane. Leave the torus in position.

Frame 0:       

Frame 1:

Frame 2:    

Fame 4:

i. In the Simulation Settings pane set Gravity to 0.

j. Run the simulation. You’ll see what appears to be a lot of movement as the loose fabric (caused by the Contraction-Expansion Ratio of 120%) moves around.

Frame 7:

Frame 15:

Frame 40:

Frame 60:

Mountain rendered from the interior of the ring:

Mountain rendered from the interior of the ring, after the surface was roughened with Mesh Grabber’s random mode then smoothed with subD and a smoothing modifier:

k. At the end of the simulation, it will appear more as a valley than a mountain. Flip the plane over and use whatever frame has the look you desire.

Frame 30:

Frame 45:

Frame 55:

l. Mountain rendered after shape was flipped over, ground texture added:

Mountain rendered after shape was flipped over, after the surface was roughened with Mesh Grabber’s random mode then smoothed with subD and a smoothing modifier:

Making Wave 3 - weight map.jpg
    642 x 370 - 18K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 0.jpg
    689 x 242 - 16K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 1.jpg
    693 x 198 - 14K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 2.jpg
    686 x 200 - 18K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 4.jpg
    682 x 392 - 26K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 7.jpg
    801 x 412 - 51K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 15.jpg
    801 x 412 - 58K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 40.jpg
    801 x 412 - 63K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 60.jpg
    801 x 412 - 63K
    Making Mountains 2 inverse.jpg
    800 x 600 - 363K
    Making Mountains 2 - 55 - with random mesh grabber smoothing subD.jpg
    775 x 638 - 426K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 30R.jpg
    801 x 412 - 54K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 45R.jpg
    801 x 412 - 57K
    Making Mountain 2 - frame 55R.jpg
    801 x 412 - 57K
    Making Mountains 2 - 50.jpg
    775 x 638 - 329K
    Making Mountains 2 03.jpg
    800 x 600 - 272K
    Making Mountains 2 - 55R - with random mesh grabber smoothing subD.jpg
    775 x 638 - 363K
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

Perhaps someone here can help me refine this:

The bricks are still too bouncy, how can I make them not jump around like that but more like hard bricks?

I used the settings in the pic:

Appunti01.jpg
    278 x 769 - 107K
  • Imago said:

Perhaps someone here can help me refine this:

The bricks are still too bouncy, how can I make them not jump around like that but more like hard bricks?

I used the settings in the pic:

They are probably too light, more like paper boxes than solid bricks. I'm surrpised it works as well as it does, really.

Richard Haseltine said:

They are probably too light, more like paper boxes than solid bricks. I'm surrpised it works as well as it does, really.

I used DForce to make them. I also have toruses, spheres, rounded cubes and cylinders that can do that.

As you say they are too light but I can't figure out which settings I have to set to make them "heavier". Any suggestion?

• Density (GSM) - GSM is grams per square metre, and of course it goes by surface area not volume.

• Possibly set gravity to a larger number? as well as increasing gsm.

Here would be my suggestions:

1. The initial strike is adding a lot of momentum which can make everything move faster. You might want to slow the strike down (move it over more frames or move it a lesser amount).

2. Lowered gravity will keep the bricks from moving downward too fast. If set to zero there will be no downward motion from gravity at all (the only downward motion then would come from strikes by other bricks). 

3. Higher air resistance will slow movement down as the bricks will be moving faster then. This seems sensitive to small changes so bump if from 0.15 to 0.2 and see what happens.

Looks better now, thanks for the tips! laugh

hey are still a bit too bouncy for the final effect, I'll try tuning more those values.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,249

In real life, there would be significant loss of energy from the impacts (i.e., the corners of the bricks would likely crumble or snap off, the grinding together of two very rough surfaces, etc.), none of which are happening in the perfect artificial environment of 100% energy preservation. Imagine Lego blocks falling on a hard tabletop vs. bricks hitting the ground. The Lego and table are hard and smooth, and the blocks bounce around forever, it seems. Drop a brick and it goes thud, then falls over. Sickleyield has a product that does this sort of thing SY dForce Rocks And Boulders. It doesn't have any secret tools, but could be of some help. If the impacted surface could absorb some of that energy, you would get a more realistic effect. I don't even know if that is possible in Studio. Fluidos, maybe?

• Honestly I would look for a better physics simulator. Unity can do this easy with lots more control. You could set it up there, make an animation sequence, bring that back into Daz and render it. Or just use Unity's new HDRP (not sure if that's part of the free version though.)

charles said:

Honestly I would look for a better physics simulator. Unity can do this easy with lots more control. You could set it up there, make an animation sequence, bring that back into Daz and render it. Or just use Unity's new HDRP (not sure if that's part of the free version though.)

Why should I use another software if I can use DForce directly? surprise Now my simulation is perfect, it just needed some more tweaking.

Those rocks seems to be really Still-Image oriented, I see some of the rocks getting flat in the promos, totally unusable in animations.

Glad it's working better. What parameters did you end up changing?