Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

1444546474850»

Comments

• ueanyueany Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales: Love that render!

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Oooooooh.... we do like to be beside the seaside....

SandCastle.jpg
    1111 x 500 - 266K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited September 2014

@TheSavage64- very nice render :)

thought i would share my latest wip :)

test_terrian_4.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 152K
    Post edited by Tim82 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thanks. I agree with your assessment of the water, it would do what I wanted so I left it where you see it and played with elevation. After I saw the rendered image I saw why that water wouldn't do what I wanted. Still, ain't to shabby for an accident. I'm sure glad you didn't dump that image, it's wonderful. I didn't notice the guy waving until I read about it in your post. He's a nice touch.

@Sandy: That is some rock in that picture. And your try for an image of it looks pretty good.

@mermaid: Thank you.

@Rareth: Neat results in that image. Are the pieces closer to the camera that large because they are close?

@Dave: Way good looking image. Love the material used on the cliffs(?).

@Tim Bateman: I sure wish my WIPs looked that good in the WIP stage. Beautiful work.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Ooooh, take a long trip from this Forum and one misses out on a lot...lovely renders all.

Latest, below...been playing around with windows, glass, views, and light...etc., and all that they have to offer.

Title: Window - study 1

Window-study1.jpg
    1300 x 650 - 854K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thanks. I agree with your assessment of the water, it would do what I wanted so I left it where you see it and played with elevation. After I saw the rendered image I saw why that water wouldn't do what I wanted. Still, ain't to shabby for an accident. I'm sure glad you didn't dump that image, it's wonderful. I didn't notice the guy waving until I read about it in your post. He's a nice touch.

@Sandy: That is some rock in that picture. And your try for an image of it looks pretty good.

@mermaid: Thank you.

@Rareth: Neat results in that image. Are the pieces closer to the camera that large because they are close?

@Dave: Way good looking image. Love the material used on the cliffs(?).

@Tim Bateman: I sure wish my WIPs looked that good in the WIP stage. Beautiful work.

I didn't use dissimilar enough textures, a good part of that rubble pile is the sphere that hit the box, I'm still learning my way around Houdini, I can tweak the simulation so the sphere doesn't break up so completely.. but until then, I've retextured the rubble pile to clearly define what is Box pieces and what is left from the sphere.

Houdini-test2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 692K
    edited December 1969

Meanwhile at the seaside.... Well more out at sea I suppose.

BattleShip.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 219K
    edited December 1969

Meanwhile at the seaside.... Well more out at sea I suppose.

nice I like this one.

edited December 1969

@Rareth: I'd ask what Houdini is but I need another program like I need another left foot. Buuuuutttt, being a curious person I'll more than likely Google it and see.

@Dave: Really like the atmosphere of the At Sea image. Like how the light silhouettes the ship. Sky is grand.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Rareth: I'd ask what Houdini is but I need another program like I need another left foot. Buuuuutttt, being a curious person I'll more than likely Google it and see.

@Dave: Really like the atmosphere of the At Sea image. Like how the light silhouettes the ship. Sky is grand.

http://www.sidefx.com/

I am searching for a modeler that fits my particular why of doing things, (and one I can afford) I like wings3d but it does have limits, tried modo, but was not really thrilled with it, same with Lightwave. The couple of tutorials I have done with Houdini seem to have clicked, and since I can export into Bryce (and possibly full scenes into DAZ) I might be able to make it work with the free version.

Houdini-test3.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 819K
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: I did go and look up Houdini and about drop my drawers at the price. Someone is mighty proud of that software. Have you tried Hexagon? It takes a while to learn but it can produce some nice objects. And your latest experiment is real nice.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@Sandy - you came quite close.

@Rareth - shape looks interesting. If you like nurbs modeler and animate the shapes, Houdini is certainly a great 3D application and the Indie version is quite reasonably priced.

@Dave - not only all your renders look great, you also have always such cool ideas.

@Tim Bateman - I'd be glad if my final renders were as good as your WIPs.

@Jamie - thank you.

@Jay - window study looks good. Curtains came out quite fine.

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64

Cool, it looks so real.

@Tim Bateman

Very good. What program you use to modeling the big stone ?

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997
    edited December 1969

Fishtales: Your try for an image of it looks good.

Rareth: Nice renders. Houdini looks like an interesting program. Looking forward to more of your Houdini/Bryce renders.

Dave: As usual your renders are so inspiring. Lovely work

Tim Bateman: Another awesome render

Jay: very nice, the curtains grab me how did you do that?

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

I hope I am right with my question here.

If i use displacement, Bryce crashed allways. Why ?

Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

It's not very stable but there are things you can do to help it.
    The main one to try is set the Priority to Low in the render settings.

Picture-8.jpg
    514 x 504 - 131K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cheers, Horo...been looking lately at Andrew Weyth's paintings (e.g. 'Wind from the Sea').

Thanks also, Mermaid...the curtain I created in Sculptris some time back.

Jay

curtain.jpg
    372 x 538 - 101K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

I find when using a lot of displacement Bryce uses more memory and CPU cycles. It could be that the CPU is overheating or you are running out of memory even if you are only using a little bit of displacement, it will depend on your system.

I usually try to remember to do a memory scrub before a big render or if Bryce crashes. I am also using LMA which starts up with windows, if you don't have it in the Startup folder it has to be started manually.

I have also noticed that when you get the 'Bryce has crashed' pop up you don't always have to close Bryce. Before clicking on the buttons at the bottom of the pop up click on the Bryce window to bring it forward and try saving your scene. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

I have also noticed that Bryce will say it isn't responding but if left long enough it comes back. Again not always but it is worth waiting to see if you are in the middle of something. This is a System thing rather than Bryce as the system doesn't have enough resources to display the Bryce window even although Bryce is working away in the background. I find the editors take a long while to display too if there is displacement used in a scene and tend to leave that until last or turn it off once I have it set and take a note of the setting and turn it back on for the final render.

edited September 2014

Roland4 said:

I do it as TheSavage64 (set to low priority) and never had a crash when using Displacement - else always.
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

A return to the Bow Fiddle.

Image 1 is a new try at getting the shape. I put the picture into PS4 and changed it to a 16 bit greyscale then cut the rock out and saved it as a TIFF with a transparent background, which the terrain editor showed as black :)

I worked on it again until I got the shape shown. It must have something to do with the picture being flat and the perspective not transferring to the terrain editor properly.

I also tried adding displacement because of the previous posts. I took it up to 40 and then to 25, priority set to high, and rendered it a few times and never had a crash so I don't know why some are getting it.

Image 2 I changed the material and added a sun and changed the water. Theses are pre-renders. I am waiting on the full render of the second image to finish :)

bow-fiddle-rock-003.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 400K
    bow-fiddle-rock-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 319K
    edited September 2014

Jamahoney said:
    Cheers, Horo...been looking lately at Andrew Weyth's paintings (e.g. 'Wind from the Sea').

Thanks also, Mermaid...the curtain I created in Sculptris some time back.

Jay

Thanks Jay for the info, I don't use Sculptris. :down:

Edited: Sandy - you are almost there, I just had a look at the picture you posted, did you try the lattice?

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

We are on the count down for the next thread. Post 1501 needs to be an image, ideally, so we can start the new iteration of the render thread with a render.

this is going to be post number 1492

edited December 1969

Edited: Sandy - you are almost there, I just had a look at the picture you posted, did you try the lattice?

It was the Lattices I started off with and tried to 'sculpt' it. That didn't work too well :-) I also tried making it in two pieces. The 'Bow' part and then the 'Fiddle' and putting them together but that didn't work either. Using the picture and working with the tools in the Terrain Editor gives the better shape but loses the perspective but judicious use of the camera angle compensates a bit for that :)

edited December 1969

@Sandy - oh, you get close to the real thing.

edited December 1969

@Jay: Nice window study, though I think there'd be a bit more light in the room with such a sunny day. Still, window and curtains are nice.

@Sandy: Both images have elements that are nice. Water of the second image, material of the first image, and it's a toss up to me about the skies because each give each image a different atmosphere.

edited December 1969

Revisited this scene I set up a couple of years ago.
    At the time I was doing some packaging for a product related to shower installations but I couldn't get the water to look right, using what I've learned over the past couple of years It's not looking too bad now and I've also managed to knock the render time down from just over 7 hours, to just over 3.

ShowerOn.jpg
    750 x 975 - 387K
    edited September 2014

GussNemo

I know what you mean about the texture and I prefer the first one too.

This is a final render, took about two hours, with bump and displacement. I was also doing some renders in DAZ Studio too using the Yosemite Sky Domes and one of my figures, a highlander :) in the background and surfing the web and viewing videos on YouTube. I still didn't get any crashes and both the CPU and memory, 6Gb, was maxed out most of the time.

Image 1 --- showing memory and CPU use.

Image 2 --- the latest rock render.

Image 3 --- the material settings

bow-fiddle-materials-2.jpg
    642 x 508 - 81K
    bow-fiddle-rock-004.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 408K
    memory-use-003.jpg
    463 x 581 - 75K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited December 1969

@Dave - shower looks good, I could also say excellent - well why not, yes, here we go: excellent.

• ueanyueany Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I like these little water drops on the walls. Nice detail work there. :-)

edited September 2014

Dave- the shower render is great.

Carry on regardless over here

Post edited by Chohole on
This discussion has been closed.