Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010

Very great, i like the first.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2014

Mermaid...love the second hotel, lobby scene work...reminds me of the many staircases climbed during 'stay-overs' in such instances,

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Mermaid010

Stuart – that’s a beautiful render.

Thanks very much Mermaid.
    I tried that shadow capture once but didn't get the result I was expecting.
    But you've inspired me to have another go.
    Thanks.

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have been away for several months. I do lurk and read the posts and look at the projects that people have being posting. My only excuse is that my interest in Bryce tends to wax and wane. There are times when I don't feel like spending the time needed to set up and render projects.

I am posting a couple of variations on David's Cube with Pipes video (Wings 3D - Making Better Geometry - by David Brinnen.). Although I did not create these objects in the same manner that David did I think that I followed the spirit of the video. The material on the two objects is exactly the same (Bryce 10 minute material project - red pearlescent paint - a tutorial by David Brinnen ). Both are lit using obscure lighting with Horo's Treppenhalle HDRI. The only difference in lighting is that in one I re-enabled the Bryce Sun. (And yes I used two different ground plane materials.)

Icosahedron_with_Pipes.jpg
    700 x 700 - 79K
    Dodecahedron_with_Pipes.jpg
    700 x 700 - 86K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

This one for no reason what-so-ever...

... except for fun of course.

Piggy.jpg
    650 x 650 - 151K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Beautiful image.

@Roland: Nice terrain and water, material on terrain looks a bit strange.

@m8nkey: Welcome to the forum. Nice looking bacteria, only it's a bit too close to the camera to get a real good look at the entire object.

@mermaid: Like the idea of the first image, only the pot looks like it's floating. Second image is real nice.

@Dangerlad: Both images are great. First looks to be made from copper pipes.

@Dave: That's a real good looking oinker.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo

This comes from the camera.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,998
    edited December 1969

Thanks Roland, Jay and Stuart

Guss: Thanks. Sometimes it is difficult to get the right effect. The bowl is sitting on an invisible ground plane and I moved the Hdri to get the ledge just above the ground plane.

Dangerlad: Nice variation of David’s tutorial both images are great.

Dave: That’s a nice render.

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Mermaid...

Here's another one... again, just for fun. Really liking David's rusty metal and how it sits on this.

Effylump.jpg
    975 x 975 - 284K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Mermaid...

Here's another one... again, just for fun. Really liking David's rusty metal and how it sits on this.

That turned out really well.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2014

Been working on a few videos today, so here's a little something that I did as a warm up.
    Wings 3D command tip - RMB inset - by David Brinnen

Edit. Just scrolled up and seen the renders from Dave and Dangerlad, very nice use of lighting and materials and good to see the stuff getting used!

Better_geometry2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 191K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited September 2014

@David

Too bad I can not watch your videos at the moment. Have you a PDF tutorial from the cube ?

Art6.jpg
    750 x 500 - 173K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @David

Too bad I can not watch your videos at the moment. Have you a PDF tutorial from the cube ?

No. but...

1 RMB cube
    2 Select entire
    3 Face mode
    4 Inset D = 0.6
    5 Intrude D = 0.6
    6 Edge mode
    7 Select one outer edge of original cube
    8 I for identical
    9 G for edge loop
    10 C for connect
    11 Bevel to max.
    12 Select entire
    13 Cleanup
    14 Face mode
    15 Select corner triangle
    16 I for identical
    17 Intrude D = 0.0
    18 Select entire
    19 S for smooth
    20 S for smooth

From this point you have a lot of options on what you might like to do. But that should give you the fundamental geometry.

Image1.jpg
    984 x 850 - 220K
    edited September 2014

@David

Thanks David, I will try it.

Ups... So I'll have to practice for a while.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

@ David - as i posted under the video on YouTube ....very cool tutorial and thank you for sharing :)

edited December 1969

@David

I am finished, but it has no thickness ??? Have I done something wrong ?

CubeModel.jpg
    560 x 512 - 201K
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @David

No that's right, that is the underlying geometry for the shape, if you want to add thickness then you can shell extrude from the surface of the model, either inside or out or both, but be careful not to extrude the exposed edges or weird things will happen to your geometry. If you want to avoid the exposed edge for the extrusion process, select and edge on the edge, use I to select the same edge on the corresponding edges and loop, switch to face mode and invert selection. Then do your shell extrusion. This process will create both inner and outer geometry. But as this is very difficult to explain in text I didn't add that to the list because it is likely to be a bit confusing particularly when it comes to adding the supporting geometry for the thickened edge it has moved beyond what I feel I can adequately describe.

Here's something else I was playing with.

Wings 3D - bit like a tennis ball but not - by David Brinnen

Not_a_tennis_ball1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 288K
    edited December 1969

@David

Thanks for explain. The sphere is nice.

edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @David

Oh and I think you might of missed out step 13. Clean up, judging by the state of the core. So you might want to attend to that before giving the thickening a try. Though what you have is not wrong, but you might find that you have some internal collisions if you don't cleanup the stray vertexes beforehand.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Your elephant looks like a tarnished bronze, and very good looking.

@Roland: Your first object is nice, like the material you used.

@David: Thanks for the videos, both objects with added material look awfully nice.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Your elephant looks like a tarnished bronze, and very good looking.

@Roland: Your first object is nice, like the material you used.

@David: Thanks for the videos, both objects with added material look awfully nice.

Thanks Jamie, I decided to see if I could extend the first shape, potentially indefinitely... up to the limit of Wings's tolerance anyway!

Better_geometry2_2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 205K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the new tutorial, David. Love the shape.

Pulled this into one of my old Bryce files based on one of David's Hypertexture Tutorials (on youtube, but don't know the link at the moment) and used a chain mail and Clay's fire materials. Render time 1/2 minute.

TBNTB1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 456K
    edited December 1969

Alternatively, you can model stuff in Bryce :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

I do like Wings, but I love messing about with booleans too.

RayGun.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 276K
    edited September 2014

You should leave no stone unturned. In the last picture i have try to emiting light from the inner sphere, but i can not see light around or shadows.

Art6d.jpg
    500 x 500 - 113K
    Art6c.jpg
    500 x 500 - 120K
    Art6a.jpg
    500 x 500 - 126K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,998
    edited December 1969

Dave- the elephant looks awesome, is the material from the Pro material presets or a product you bought.

David- thanks for the videos I must still try them, bookmarking them for now. You used nice materials to bring out the geometry of the objects.

Roland – you are getting some nice shapes for your models.

Fencepost-that was quick well done.

An experiment using Hdri for reflections and objects modeled in Wings 3D

reflection.jpg
    600 x 600 - 88K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - thank you. Oh, that lake of yours is beautiful. The shapes came out fine. Very nicely presented, too.

@mermaid010 - thank you. The HDRI backdrop images look great. There's something wrong with the shadows on the first with this low sun. The second is better, the light from the windows is certainly brighter than the lamps are so the shadow makes sense. The golden reflections looks very nice.

@Dangerlad - great shapes and nicely presented.

@Dave - nice pig, is there some money in it? A question not to be asked for the elephant. Great toy. I fully agree that Bryce can be very well used for modelling. My imagination doesn't work very well with subdivision modelers, I find the boolean way easier.

@Jamie - thank you.

@David - interesting shapes. Once I've got a bit of time, I'll give them a try, too.

@Art - very nicely presented. I like the colours and contrast.

Here is the Terraces terrain, another attempt on a coastline with water. It is not always easy to get it right.

Terr-Coast.jpg
    800 x 800 - 190K
    edited September 2014

@Horo

Thanks.

Wow, your picture is gorgeous. What software are you using to create the terrain ?

edited September 2014

A new shape. Modeled with Wings 3D.

Art6e.jpg
    500 x 500 - 185K
    edited December 1969

Mermaid: Yes, the metals are from this set: http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-heating-room-set from David and Horo.
    That's a nice golden abstract you got going there.

Roland: The green glass looks great, I especially like the middle one as it looks very convincingly like a glass paper weight from the sixties or seventies... I can't remember the name of the company who made them just at the moment but your shape and material choice is very reminiscent.

Horo: Sadly no money in the piggy bank here at Savage Towers, but you've just sparked off an idea for something I can look at maybe next week if I get a moment. The terrain looks great but maybe a bit too much specular as the sandy material is starting to look a bit metallic to my eye.

As for the "toy"!!!!
    Well it's no toy, it's a fully functioning intergalactic high magnetic thermo-quantum plasma generator. :cheese:

RayGunDalek.jpg
    1000 x 585 - 194K
    edited December 1969

Quick work Art! Nicely done.

Dave, the ray gun is spot on, and I'm not saying there isn't a place for boolean modeling, indeed Modo has a plugin that allows just that, but for me, I've never really been able to get to grips with it. Where as subdivision just makes sense some how. Here's another little noodle.

Wings 3D command tips - Turn and MMB inset - by David Brinnen

Horo's Garage Open HDRI for light. And a "Funky" metal for texture.

Propella_ball1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 183K
This discussion has been closed.