Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

1343536373840»

Comments

• Impressive!

• SaintSaint Posts: 59

Does the dForce engine support rigid bodies? For example, adding a modifier to earrings?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    Saint said:

Does the dForce engine support rigid bodies? For example, adding a modifier to earrings?

No, I'm afraid not - pity as I was hoping to be able to do things like barding. You may be able to get close enough by having a flexible dForce ribbon or the like and make the hard elements rigid foillow nodes of that.

• SaintSaint Posts: 59

So far I've managed by just manually adjusting them, used the Joint Editor to change the pivots so I can more easily rotate thing wherever force or gravity would dictate. Would be a nice feature to see in the future though.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited December 2020

...first off, apologies for bringing this thread back to life,

So tonight I decided to do a little experimentation just to get a bit of hands on time with dForce to see what it all involves.  Again having old tech, I pretty much knew that sims would take a bit of time. but it is what I didn't expect to deal with afterwards that I found a bit disconcerting. 

As a couple bundles I have include some dForce clothing items, so I decided to give it a try using a fairly simple one I have, the Mabel Dress.  I first converted it to G3 (using the RSSY G8 -> G3 clothing conversion script) so I could use it with an existing character.  Running the sim after posing the character took about four and a half minutes on a 750 Ti, which got me to thinking about how much longer more involved clothing would take as the clothing dress was fairly simple and straightforward.  

Anyway the draping looked very good. so I decided to render the character using a simple photo shoot HDR and that is where I ran into a serious issue of poke through the liked i have not seen since working with the old clothing converters back in the Gen3/4 days. .I tried everything I could think to, adjusting smoothing, adjusting collision iterations, and using the various adjustment morphs that came with the product, but just could not get rid of it.  In the Open GL (shaded mode) viewport it looked fine, but after rendering it looked as if it was moth eaten. 

This as a bit of a disappointment as the time for the sim to complete is one matter, but having to spend even more time performing a manual clean up afterwards is not something I expected. and would seriously impact the workflow (I spent about an hour just trying to solve the poke through issue only to get nowhere with it). Wondering if others are running into ths and if so is there something I'm not doing (or don't know of) before the sim to keep this from occurring?. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • that could be a displacement issue

and that is also how I personally would solve it,

place the cutout opacity maps for the clothing in the displacement channel and make sure there is no minimum vlaue

edited December 2020

....Thanks, I'll givew that a try.  Other than that it looked very nice. 

When I get the new display to replace the one that died I will be able to hook up the Titan to two monitors as the card only has one DVI port while rest are DirectConnect (which is why I only used it for rendering), so the sims should run a bit faster.  

...ah there are no opacity maps but setting the minimum displacment to 0 fixed the issue. 

Leela RBG.jpg
    728 x 1200 - 142K
    edited December 2020

...Thank you.

The buttons kind of lined up odd and deformed on the first attempts but otherwise works pretty good.  Characters with petite physiques have always had this issue in the chest region when it comes to texture details.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

DAZ_Brian said:

Daz 3D continues to enhance and improve Daz Studio with the introduction of dForce Physics. The first implementation will allow objects designated as cloth to simulate physical collision and interaction with other objects in the scene including a posed or animated figure. Other physics simulation types are expected to follow.

Hard to believe that  dForce Cloth was first introduced 3 and a half years ago (2017). Since that time, roughly 2 years later, we got dForce Hair. I was just curious if DS is ever going to get native support for other common simulation types like soft body, rigid body, ragdoll, ropes/cables, particles (native), fluids (native), etc?

- Greg

• dan2050dan2050 Posts: 27

algovincian said:

DAZ_Brian said:

Daz 3D continues to enhance and improve Daz Studio with the introduction of dForce Physics. The first implementation will allow objects designated as cloth to simulate physical collision and interaction with other objects in the scene including a posed or animated figure. Other physics simulation types are expected to follow.

Hard to believe that  dForce Cloth was first introduced 3 and a half years ago (2017). Since that time, roughly 2 years later, we got dForce Hair. I was just curious if DS is ever going to get native support for other common simulation types like soft body, rigid body, ragdoll, ropes/cables, particles (native), fluids (native), etc?

- Greg

Would be good. Being able to remove individual key frames or move them along the timeline would be good too.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    Hi, sorry if this is a really dumb question, I dressed the figure, posed the figure, selected the dforce clothing item and hit simulate. Then there was an sort of error message window "reporting spring issues" popped up, and then simulation started by then froze... is that my hardware was not good enough to handle the situation or if I did anything wrong? Thx
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849

CHWT said:

Hi, sorry if this is a really dumb question, I dressed the figure, posed the figure, selected the dforce clothing item and hit simulate. Then there was an sort of error message window "reporting spring issues" popped up, and then simulation started by then froze... is that my hardware was not good enough to handle the situation or if I did anything wrong? Thx

In a dForce simulation the edges of the mesh are treated as springs, and the simulation is aiming to minimise the energy in the springs as determined by gravity, any wind, and the properties of the surface settings. One of the properties is an offset, the minimum separation between two vertices. If edges are shorter than the offset then that is effectively pumping energy into the system - the spring has to be stretched beyond its rest length to satisfy the minimum value - so you get warnings. if there are a lot of edges like that, in an area that is active in the simulation, then it will at best slow the process and at worst will cause the simulation to get into a feedback loop and explode the cloth.

CHWT said:

In a dForce simulation the edges of the mesh are treated as springs, and the simulation is aiming to minimise the energy in the springs as determined by gravity, any wind, and the properties of the surface settings. One of the properties is an offset, the minimum separation between two vertices. If edges are shorter than the offset then that is effectively pumping energy into the system - the spring has to be stretched beyond its rest length to satisfy the minimum value - so you get warnings. if there are a lot of edges like that, in an area that is active in the simulation, then it will at best slow the process and at worst will cause the simulation to get into a feedback loop and explode the cloth.

Hi Richard, thanks for your reply. Do I need to manually add a Dynamic Surface dforce modifier to a dforce clothing item before hitting the simulation button? Because, well, quite a few of my new dforce products just caused my PC to freeze, not sure if I did anything wrong, or if it's my hardware not up to par.
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    < Do I need to manually add a Dynamic Surface dforce modifier to a dforce clothing item before hitting the simulation button? Because, well, quite a few of my new dforce products just caused my PC to freeze, not sure if I did anything wrong, or if it's my hardware not up to par.

No but you may want to reduce the Collision Offset from it's default value to 0.05 or lower. I do that for a lot of clothing items to eliminate the problem. You find this parameter in the Simulation section under the Surface Pane. There might be multiple surfaces in a garment that need the adjustment made.

RGcincy said:
    < Do I need to manually add a Dynamic Surface dforce modifier to a dforce clothing item before hitting the simulation button? Because, well, quite a few of my new dforce products just caused my PC to freeze, not sure if I did anything wrong, or if it's my hardware not up to par.

No but you may want to reduce the Collision Offset from it's default value to 0.05 or lower. I do that for a lot of clothing items to eliminate the problem. You find this parameter in the Simulation section under the Surface Pane. There might be multiple surfaces in a garment that need the adjustment made.

Thank you for the tips!
  • SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    So are we ever getting more functionality for dforce or nah?
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,555

Sorel said:

So are we ever getting more functionality for dforce or nah?

I expect any significant enhancements will appear in DS5 (whenever that finally arrives)

• Bobeagle77Bobeagle77 Posts: 164

Is Dforce only for Nvidia gpus? I have Amd RX 6700 XT windows 10 64bit Everything up to date. I can not get Dforce to work for me. Its been years since I used it. I feel left out. Out of this feature.

...I can understand a mesh collision causing the Daz programme to crash, but I have been experiencing display driver rashes lately as well.  When this happens I have to restart the system to restore the driver as one of my dual displays loses signal.  This has only started to happen recently even though it worked fine in the current version of Daz I am using.  Tried running a sim under the previous 4.20 beta (which i never had trouble with) and it crashed the display driver as well.

Specifications:

Daz 4.21.0.5, General release on Windows 7 64 bit, 24 GB System Memory with virtual memory partition/paging set to 24 GB/48 GB Max, GPU: Titan-X Maxwell" 12 GB VRAM and OpenCL ver. 3.0. on Nvidia diver 473.96.(desktop-win7-64bit-international-whql).

Note Windows 7 does not support Nvida Studio drivers.

• kyoto kid said:

...I can understand a mesh collision causing the Daz programme to crash, but I have been experiencing display driver rashes lately as well.  When this happens I have to restart the system to restore the driver as one of my dual displays loses signal.  This has only started to happen recently even though it worked fine in the current version of Daz I am using.  Tried running a sim under the previous 4.20 beta (which i never had trouble with) and it crashed the display driver as well.

Specifications:

Daz 4.21.0.5, General release on Windows 7 64 bit, 24 GB System Memory with virtual memory partition/paging set to 24 GB/48 GB Max, GPU: Titan-X Maxwell" 12 GB VRAM and OpenCL ver. 3.0. on Nvidia diver 473.96.(desktop-win7-64bit-international-whql).

Note Windows 7 does not support Nvida Studio drivers.

I understand that NVidia stopped supporting Windows 7 (other than critical security updates) a couple of years ago. What driver version does DS 4.21.0.5 require? I'm on my phone atm, but isn't a later driver version required?

- Greg

edited September 2023

...I know, so that is why I am stuck at the 4.21.0.5 General release as that is the last version of Daz that supports a W7 driver (471.41.for GPU rendering). The one I'm using, 473..62, is one of the security update ones. 

My MB is old (X58 purchased in 2011) and doesn't comply with W11's TPM 2.0 requirement.

With Windows 10 at it's last update cycle and EOL occurring in January 2025, better to just go with 11. at this point. This means a somewhat costly upgrade (on my budget (bout 760$) for a new MB memory and CPU and 500GB NAND M2 SSD boot drive (no point in new drives for my Daz content library and storage along with an RTX 3060 and PSU as they are fairly new).

I also just discovered there's a new security update. for W7/W8, 474.44, and downloaded it, haven't installed yet..