Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Hi,

Since you have a store here what are the policies for conforming/rigged stuff that is really meant to be used as a draping garment?  I see some stuff over at other stores that I THINK are NOT rigged.  I have some stuff I'm currently converting over to Genesis from my HiveWire library and I do have some dresses, a robe and a couple of tops that I'd hate to try to rig properly but as drapped garmets would look and work very nicely! 

• Daz wants items to work as regular fitted items, unless the item is doing somethign that a fitted item can't do.

OK, I get that but if the clothing figure is just rigged partially or with just a basic rigging will that pass the mustard to get it accepted if the tag line is D-Force recommended? 

• My understanding is that it needs to be fully rigged, unless it is not possible to rig an item of that type.

OK.  Thank you!

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    L'Adair said:

i can't run dforce.
    my nvidia gforce gt540m doesn't seem to agree, no openCL. i looked online at some packs that should allow/enable/install (?) openCL (drivers??) but nothing works - or rather, one of those packs demands i uninstall whatever original drivers i have before installing something new. which i won't do because i have absolutely no clue what i'm doing, and i'm not gonna jeopardize a perfectly working gcard/gpu just for gforce.. and be stuck with nothing i.e. a laptop that doesn't work at all any more.

my question: do dforce items/outfits sold here work without dforce (i read in a thread one product "had also normal morphs") - do they ALL work without dforce, or only some - is that specified exactly in the description?
    example: dForce Grunge Outfit for Genesis 8 Male - i understand the outfit has morphs and should be working without dforce too (maybe it just won't look that good/realistic), but am i right?

It is my understanding Daz requires dForce compliant clothing also be conforming. So if a dress is for G3F female, it needs to work with any G3F with or without using dForce, or Daz won't sell it. As for clothing sold at other stores, you'll need to be careful and verify it's conforming before you buy.

"Daz requires dForce compliant clothing also be conforming" - exactly the answer i was looking for! thanks a lot, L'Adair ^^

Depends on the garment, not all things work well as conforming garments.  Almost all will have basic rigging and weight maps but that doesn't mean they will "work" well as conforming.  When I'm writing my product descriptions I will generally state if a dForce garment also works well as conforming or not.  

ugh, sorry for late reply, forgot to follow properly.

hmm.. thanks for the heads up, and also for going to xtra mile to write informative descriptions.
    means that before i buy a dforce outfit, i'll ask explicitely how it works without dforce.

• SLoTH_XVXSLoTH_XVX Posts: 199

Why does DAZ not require creators of dForce items to include "dForce" in the folder title/name(s) of their products? 

It is extremely frusterating to install multiple items and have to search back to confirm whether the item is dForce compatable or not. Seems like a simple thing to require dForce as part of the folder name.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

It looks to me that items which are intended to be used with dForce do indeed have dForce in their name. However there is then a grey area of products which are "compatible" with dForce, but which were not actually intended to be used with it - ie. they will work, but that was not the original intention, it is more a by-product of how they were made. Requiring those to specify this seems a step too far to me.

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 490
    edited March 2018

What does this mean? And how can fix it?

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 840M as well.

Thank you for the help.

DForce kernels.jpg
    1503 x 1080 - 456K
    Comp basics.jpg
    755 x 377 - 124K
    Post edited by Decoyboy on
  • That usually appears if DAZ Studio has been updated. Just click yes..

edited March 2018

This is what happens when I click yes.  Happens every time.

DeForce 2.jpg
    1125 x 1047 - 307K
    Post edited by Decoyboy on
  • Could you please post a screenshot of your Advanced tab - select NVIDIA Iray in Render Settings and switch to the Advanced Tab.

Could you please post a screenshot of your Advanced tab - select NVIDIA Iray in Render Settings and switch to the Advanced Tab.

Thank You Doctor Jellybean for the Help.  I went to Simulation Settings Tab/ Advanced and changed the OpenCL Device to NVIDIA CUDA GeForce 840M.  That is allowing dForce to work.

Thank you again.

• QT168QT168 Posts: 15

Hi all, I made a video tutorial about dForce cloth animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHCcaZ3Ry78 

These results are based on numerous hours of trial and error. Now I really enjoy dForce!  laugh

yes

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    From my understanding, the current functions of dforce are for draping cloth and similar items. I tried to apply it to some items that had beads and it...didnt work out so well. I assume this isn't really useful for stuff like jewelry yet?

Yea, would be nice to have an update for things like chains and jewelry .... so cool!  

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

With the current released version of Daz Studio, 4.10.0.123, we're using dForce 1.0.0.25. In the Change Logs for the as yet unreleased Beta 4.11, dForce is up to version 1.1.0.55. I'm really looking forward to the 4.11 Beta release, to see how dForce has been improved. But there is a lot of work going into 4.11 for much more than dForce. and there's no telling when the Beta will be available. You can check the Change Log here.

Hmm, I'm just seeing "Update to dForce" but no info on it except for one bit but hopefully there will be some additions eventually like a way to drag things as they are being draped.  That's one I'm  really wanting!  

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    RAMWolff said:

Hmm, I'm just seeing "Update to dForce" but no info on it except for one bit but hopefully there will be some additions eventually like a way to drag things as they are being draped.  That's one I'm  really wanting!  

True. The change log doesn't give us any details on dForce beyond the updated version number.

Unless they make some major changes, I don't see how we can do anything during the simulation. The popup window showing the progess is based on the render progress window and prevents any access at all to the viewport. But wouldn't it be a great feature to move things around during a sim!? What a timesaver that would be.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    L'Adair said:

But wouldn't it be a great feature to move things around during a sim!? What a timesaver that would be.

That would be a wonderful add! Or a pause button where you can make an adjustment and then continue from where you were at.

• calvinczecalvincze Posts: 17
    RAMWolff said:

Under 4.11.0.87 there is "Added polyline support for Dynamic Surface Add-On to dForce", does this mean we can do strand-based hair simulation? I love the look the current dForce hair products can achieve but they can take a while to simulate, I'm guessing proper strand based hair would be much more efficient!

• calvincze said:
    RAMWolff said:

Under 4.11.0.87 there is "Added polyline support for Dynamic Surface Add-On to dForce", does this mean we can do strand-based hair simulation? I love the look the current dForce hair products can achieve but they can take a while to simulate, I'm guessing proper strand based hair would be much more efficient!

The polylines aren't visible, so no.

• calvinczecalvincze Posts: 17
    calvincze said:
    RAMWolff said:

Damn. What can polylines be used for in dForce then? Tying objects together with invisible strings? Special forms of collision? Anyway, I hope there'll be ways to render those polylines in the near future..

• calvincze said:
    calvincze said:
    RAMWolff said:

Damn. What can polylines be used for in dForce then? Tying objects together with invisible strings? Special forms of collision? Anyway, I hope there'll be ways to render those polylines in the near future..

Yes, a dForce add-on can be used to link or reinforce parts of a dForce item, so polylines have obvious potential for fastenings and the like.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    calvincze said:
    calvincze said:
    RAMWolff said:

Yes, a dForce add-on can be used to link or reinforce parts of a dForce item, so polylines have obvious potential for fastenings and the like.

Where can I find instructions for HOW to create and use polylines as dForce dynamic add ons? I already know how to do it with polygons, but I haven't been able to extrapolate that to "polylines".  How do I even create a "polyline"?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited July 2018
    barbult said:
    calvincze said:
    calvincze said:
    RAMWolff said:

Where can I find instructions for HOW to create and use polylines as dForce dynamic add ons? I already know how to do it with polygons, but I haven't been able to extrapolate that to "polylines".  How do I even create a "polyline"?

With a suitable modeller - I believe ZBrush can export polylines, I don't know about Blender. Presumably the requirement, as with the polygon version, is to have the vertices match some of the vertices of the dForce item it's an add-on for.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    barbult said:
    calvincze said:
    calvincze said:
    RAMWolff said:

With a suitable modeller - I believe ZBrush can export polylines, I don't know about Blender. Presumably the requirement, as with the polygon version, is to have the vertices match some of the vertices of the dForce item it's an add-on for.

I was trying to use Blender, but I couldn't figure out how to create or export a "polyline". I exported a line connecting two vertices, at the necessary locations, but that didn't work as a Dynamic Surface Add On in DS. I don't have ZBrush, unfortunately.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

If you know the vertex positions, you could hand code a polyline using a text editor (like notebook on windows). Save the file and change the extension to .obj. Code would look something like this:

v 0.000000 2.000000 0.000000
     v 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
     v 2.000000 0.000000 0.000000
     l 1 2 3 

The first 3 lines define the vertex location for 3 of the 4 corners of a square. The last line defines the polyline starting with vertex 1 and ending with vertex 2. The beginning of the last line is the lowercase letter L.

I don't have Blender but in Silo, if you select a vertex it gives you the x, y, z position. Hand coding is not practical for a huge line or mesh, but would be for a short one.

(I haven't tried a polyline yet myself but I started developing Shape Magic by first learning to hand code.)

Are polylines like what's used to create Fiber Hair in ZBrush?