Free Software that Makes Life Easier

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

nice if you love nodes as everyone seems to except me devil

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

I am on the fence myself, seems to be a fad to make everything nodes these days.  I can see there use from a visual standpoint, and they do make things more modular if you are re-using bits. Buts its gotta be slow/inefficient.  Carrara's shader tree for instance would be much faster as it's settings are directly integrated into the renderer.

mschack said:

I am on the fence myself, seems to be a fad to make everything nodes these days.  I can see there use from a visual standpoint, and they do make things more modular if you are re-using bits. Buts its gotta be slow/inefficient.  Carrara's shader tree for instance would be much faster as it's settings are directly integrated into the renderer.

I love shader trees

of course Carrara as well as in other softwares I use 

but I seem to be alone with the dinosaurs on that one

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,555

Wendy, you're not alone about shader trees. I like them, too. But the industry decided that nodes win, especially for textures. The way the nodes actually work seems to be about the same from program to program.

@mschack Symbinode looks very useful. Thanks for the heads-up. I aim to give it a try.

• Actually, if you don't reuse node, you may consider nodes as a tree read from right to left instead of left to right.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,555

I spent some time playing with Symbinode. I have a generally positive impression as it did not crash or do anything too weird. It does not directly support bump, transparency or displacement. It does support normal mapping. It exports square textures in png format up to 4096px. If you move your nodes around, it may forget to update the connectors.

It's like a node texture training program or a texture toy with the added benefit that you can use it to make some useful texture tiles. It's early days for this program, so don't expect too much. It's also free. Cheers to all that!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221

Anyone else have ShareWareOnSale?

They have this up for grabs (free) for another 2 days:

https://www.pixarra.com/tree_studio.html

It's 2D, but it's cool. It paints trees onto transparency and exports png with alpha

edited May 2021

It's 2D, but it's cool. It paints trees onto alpha background, and exports png

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • REIVAXREIVAX Posts: 70

Hello Dart

Thanks for this

Looks cool, doesn't it? The freebie probably only works on one computer. So after work (when my current render is done) I'll grab it for my Carrara machine and experiment with making some billboard trees ;)

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Magicavoxel https://ephtracy.github.io/

Just found out about this though it has been around a while.  It is a free/open source, very light weight voxel editor with a very nice renderer with some nice lighting effects, though no animation capability.  People have done some pretty amazing stuff with it.  It can export to obj files.  Looks like it would be good for concepting architectural stuff very quickly...  And just fun to play with.

sample0.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    sample1.jpg
    1920 x 1052 - 629K
    sample4.jpg
    1256 x 695 - 301K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

looks like fun thank you mschack

here's a mother lode fuzzimo  I found it on page 207 approx of the carrara forum

Very cool resource!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,983

Headwax said:

looks like fun thank you mschack

here's a mother lode fuzzimo  I found it on page 207 approx of the carrara forum

~   alrite then  ~  thanx

I'm not sure for how long, but for those who have ShareWareOnSale, you can get PD Howler 2020 for free!

Rock On!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    29 more days of a free PD Howler 2020.
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Dartanbeck said:

I'm not sure for how long, but for those who have ShareWareOnSale, you can get PD Howler 2020 for free!

Rock On!

thanks I think I already threw some money at it - happily I might say! such a gem

• REIVAXREIVAX Posts: 70

Hello dart

thank before i have the PD howler 11.now is the 13.

edited July 2021

I removed this link as I do not know the usage terms

after all that, I won't be using these models either

Capture.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 273K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited July 2021

some of Age of Armour's velvet Atlier shaders with a Carrara wood and gold

link to Studio Paris added  for shader I used as faster than trying a new post, just hope you read back blush

I will leave this render up of this one sofa though unless it is deemed neccesary to remove it

in which case it will be blush

greensofa.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 77K
    red sofa.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 214K
  • BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791

Wendy,

Where can I get the velvet shader? I couldn't find it in the Daz store.  It's exceptional.

BrianP21361 said:

Wendy,

Where can I get the velvet shader? I couldn't find it in the Daz store.  It's exceptional.

Right here, my friend!

http://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/free/index.php

Thanks Dart but I don't see the Carrara version. I downloaded the Chaise material presets, but those are for DS. 

...and here I thought I was being a hero :(

Sorry Brian!

edited July 2021

I used the one from the Studio Paris Carrara  shaders in my browser that came with the purchased set but the one on the page Dart linked to should be the same

OK hint without sharing 

noise in bump and add subsurface scattering 

also has glow colour

and discard any models from that site, I informed the Facebook group I got the link from that we may not be allowed to use them

I added it to my wishlist for the next sale. Terrific shader. 

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900
    edited July 2021

There are separate downloads too in the bottom of the page, no need to take the whole package.

But I can't find any note about the licensing or usage permissions, so it's a No-No for me, sadly. sad

Post edited by Imago on

That's helpful Wendy. I suppose I could try using the Fall Off shader per Holly's post at Carrara Cafe (https://carraracafe.com/10-reasons-you-need-a-falloff-shader/). It sounds similar to what you did. 

edited July 2021

There are separate downloads too in the bottom of the page, no need to take the whole package.

But I can't find any note about the licensing or usage permissions, so it's a No-No for me, sadly. sad

how I got the one sofa wink 

and yeah was hoping that was in the file as some sort of readme so usage is unknown, guess one could ask