Free Software that Makes Life Easier

Comments

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,571

I'm going to give it a spin. Thanks for the headsup, Wendy.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

I bought Zbrush about 6 years ago and so far all updates have been free, dunno how much longer that will last

That's the way Affinity Photo has been. Love that! We have enough bills the way it is!!! 

I tried some Affinity betas not so long ago and they would not run on my system - Some sort of .net issue that I could not easily resolve because of some weirdness unique to my computer. I wanted to give them a try, but that put me off of their products for the foreseeable future.

edited June 2020
    DaremoK3 said:

Thank you, Wendy, for the heads up on the ZBrush Core Mini, you lovely lady from down-under...

I like that it includes Sculptris Pro  --  I thought this was their next evolution of Sculptris - but I am not sure if they are promoting Sculptris or a watered-down version of Core with Sculptris (Pro) included...

Question :  Does it require the same online installation as the ZBrush trial, or can one install on an offline rig?

It does not include sculptris. Mini and Sculptris are 2 different programs, but I see from the Zbrush mini pages why you would think that. Sculptris can still be downloaded here: https://pixologic.com/sculptris/ . There is a form that asks for name and email, but that apparently does not make a pixologic account. No password.

You do need to make a pixologic acct to get mini. If you have one already, you can use that. The download is from the license page of your account, but mini does not require a license. I guess pixologic wants the opportunity to send newsletters. IDK if it's the exact same as zbrush trial because I don't have that.

My 2 cents in the early going: Sculptris is in some ways still more refined than mini, but mini has fancier presentation with some built-in expectation of online sharing. Also, it's possible that it takes more than 10 minutes of determined fiddling to find all of mini's secrets. wink I sort of see a 3-way cage match between sculptris, mini and meshmolder happening over the weekend.

Edit: Mini has a lot of built-in pushing for the upgrade.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited June 2020

Yeah, I know Sculptris is a different program  --  I am a first generation Sculptris user from DrPetter's original creation/release way before Pixologic picked him and his creation up and killed it  --  I have both their versions as well  --  I have no confusion about the two...

However, you should check the ZBrush Core Mini "Features" page and the "Comparison" page;  They state on both that "Sculptris Pro" is included in Mini as well as default Core :

This is a moot point, unless you are saying they are lying, and you downloaded Mini and it does not contain Sculptris Pro...

Regardless, I already have an account  --  I stopped trial testing ZBrush when they went to an online install only  --  I don't do over the net installs  -  I have an offline PC.

I just need to know from anyone who has downloaded/installed if there is an offline download/install  --  I don't have time for the hassle I went through the last time I tried to trial ZBrush...

Thank you, to anyone who can provide this information.

Screenshot_2020-06-11_19-00-54.png
    1366 x 768 - 246K
    Screenshot_2020-06-11_19-01-35.png
    1366 x 768 - 67K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,675

It's a pity that can't export in OBJ

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    Crios said:

it can

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

It can't import OBJ, though. Pretty useless for me. crying

Crios said:

it can

It can save in PNG, JPG e ZBrush format. Cannot find OBJ

edited June 2020
    Crios said:
    Crios said:

it can

It can save in PNG, JPG e ZBrush format. Cannot find OBJ

the video shows obj export

Zbrush save is different to export too so guess I expected that

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited June 2020

Export for 3d printing button gives you the obj export. I don't think there is obj import. The program is limited in scope and purpose.

Torquinox said:

Export for 3d printing button gives you the obj export. I don't think there is obj import. The program is limited in scope and purpose.

and free devil

I just link free stuffs, not forcing anyone to use them cheeky

I am slowly getting used to Zbrush after 5 years of frustration and I paid a lot of money for it!

Torquinox said:

and free devil

I just link free stuffs, not forcing anyone to use them cheeky

I am slowly getting used to Zbrush after 5 years of frustration and I paid a lot of money for it!

Not debating any of that angel I love the sculpting paradigm for modeling, but it does take some getting-used-to.

edited June 2020

One buzzkill about it, and the reason I'm about to uninstall it: Zbrush mini is actually only licensed for personal use/education. No matter how wonderful it may seem (though there are already some glaring problems with it), it's a waste of time. Oh well. So much for that.

Sculptris download says "Sculptris is free to use with no restrictions on how your creations may be used."

Torquinox said:

I've seen that, when i've read Export for 3D printing, i've thinked to an export in ZTL or similar, never thinked that save the mesh in OBJ.

edited June 2020

Pixologic text says, "...you can export your creations from ZBrushCoreMini with one click of the 3D Print button. This will automatically reduce the polygon count of the model (while intelligently keeping details) and export a *.OBJ file that you can then load into any 3D printer's slicing software. " The mesh is decimated.

I have a big glob of disappointment from both Zbrush Mini and from Meshmolder.

Zbrush mini's faults include lack of features, lack of commercial use, excessive nagging. More than anything, it's an interactive ad banner for Zbrush.  Maybe that's appropriate, but it leaves a bad taste.

Meshmolder looks cool but the free version has missing features. I can forgive that, but the software is very buggy. I could cause it to give me error messages within a few minutes. Pushing further caused it to behave strangely, make a mess of my mesh, and sometimes crash. No love there. On the Meshmolder site, they say you can donate $5 and they will email a full version within 24 hours. I'm tempted to do that, but then it's not free any more. >_>

In the land of stand-alone free sculpting apps, Sculptris still stands alone.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    A new freebie that has at least one big fan here and a separate thread. Particle Illusion got a free edition now, just a few missing features, but also a plan for future updates. http://www.cgchannel.com/2020/06/borisfx-releases-particle-illusion-standalone-for-free/
    3drendero said:
    A new freebie that has at least one big fan here and a separate thread. Particle Illusion got a free edition now, just a few missing features, but also a plan for future updates. http://www.cgchannel.com/2020/06/borisfx-releases-particle-illusion-standalone-for-free/

Sold!!!

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited June 2020

deleted.

Post edited by rk66 on
  • FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    3drendero said:

THIS is why I love this thread!  

Thanks 3drendero, Particle Illusion is really cool!

Need a great movie editor, vfx compositor, audio studio and color grader all in one amazing app?

DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic Design if completely FREE!

There is a Studio (professional) version, but it truly is for Pros, and that lot won't find the price to be aggravating at all.

Here is a Quick Look video I made, just tiptoeing into it

Support articles on my site:

Quick Look at DaVinci Resolve

Free Training Materials (including support files)

edited June 2020

I can't wait to try Particle Illusion for use with DaVinci Resolve!!!

even though DaVinci Resolve aleady has an amazing particles system 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    rk66 said:

ZBrushCoreMini

(... completely free) > https://zbrushcore.com/mini/

And completely useless! Did you not read the preceding discussion?

Sad to say in this forum, my free sculpting solution turns out to be Blender 2.83 .

edited June 2020

Probably not.

Post edited by Crios on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

Need a great movie editor, vfx compositor, audio studio and color grader all in one amazing app?

There is a Studio (professional) version, but it truly is for Pros, and that lot won't find the price to be aggravating at all.

Thanks for this one Dart!  Your Demo sold it.

ProPose said:

yes

We'll dig in with some tutorials too! 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,985

DaVinci Resolve  by Blackmagic Design if completely FREE!

_  looks pretty good  _

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    ProPose said:

yes

Over 7GB download for the Getting started tutorial lessons.  Took over an hour.  Very informative, easy to follow, and a 400+ page pdf

ProPose said:
    ProPose said:

yes

Over 7GB download for the Getting started tutorial lessons.  Took over an hour.  Very informative, easy to follow, and a 400+ page pdf

...and that pdf is literally Packed with info!!!