Free Software that Makes Life Easier

1333435363739»

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 30,317

nice if you love nodes as everyone seems to except me devil

• mschackmschack Posts: 122

I am on the fence myself, seems to be a fad to make everything nodes these days.  I can see there use from a visual standpoint, and they do make things more modular if you are re-using bits. Buts its gotta be slow/inefficient.  Carrara's shader tree for instance would be much faster as it's settings are directly integrated into the renderer.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 30,317

mschack said:

I am on the fence myself, seems to be a fad to make everything nodes these days.  I can see there use from a visual standpoint, and they do make things more modular if you are re-using bits. Buts its gotta be slow/inefficient.  Carrara's shader tree for instance would be much faster as it's settings are directly integrated into the renderer.

I love shader trees

of course Carrara as well as in other softwares I use 

but I seem to be alone with the dinosaurs on that one

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 961

Wendy, you're not alone about shader trees. I like them, too. But the industry decided that nodes win, especially for textures. The way the nodes actually work seems to be about the same from program to program.

@mschack Symbinode looks very useful. Thanks for the heads-up. I aim to give it a try.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,099

Actually, if you don't reuse node, you may consider nodes as a tree read from right to left instead of left to right.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 961

I spent some time playing with Symbinode. I have a generally positive impression as it did not crash or do anything too weird. It does not directly support bump, transparency or displacement. It does support normal mapping. It exports square textures in png format up to 4096px. If you move your nodes around, it may forget to update the connectors.

It's like a node texture training program or a texture toy with the added benefit that you can use it to make some useful texture tiles. It's early days for this program, so don't expect too much. It's also free. Cheers to all that!