• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited July 2021

I removed the link as the usage terms are unknown blush

ah that came since, my posts uhm wink delay

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I removed the link as the usage terms are unknown blush

I did the same in my comment but it is still present in the quoting in your post.  surprise

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,555

mschack said:

Magicavoxel https://ephtracy.github.io/

Just found out about this though it has been around a while.  It is a free/open source, very light weight voxel editor with a very nice renderer with some nice lighting effects, though no animation capability.  People have done some pretty amazing stuff with it.  It can export to obj files.  Looks like it would be good for concepting architectural stuff very quickly...  And just fun to play with.

I was passing through and noticed your post about this. I agree, it looks pretty cool and I plan to take it for a spin.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Magicavoxel is finished and will not be developed further. the author instead has started on a new project, a CSG modeler: https://ephtracy.github.io/index.html?page=magicacsg

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Yeah that looks interesting too, kinda like a delux metaball modeller, hopefully he adds emmisive textures like in magicavoxel

Hmmm, I downloaded that, too. I wasn't looking that closely and it didn't really dawn on me they were separate products. Anyway, it all looks quite interesting.

The Magica programs are fun and interesting, but ultimately self-contained. Unless something changes, it's sort of a modeling and rendering toy. YMMV.

Torquinox said:

The Magica programs are fun and interesting, but ultimately self-contained. Unless something changes, it's sort of a modeling and rendering toy. YMMV.

MagicaCSG has gained an export function in 0.0.1. It may only export to .ply but that can be converted.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

on the look out for a cheap pdf editor with ocr.  acrobat so expensive and adobe pushy

i've seen pdfs with embedded 3d, dont know how tho.  its not in acrobat standard

Mystiara said:

on the look out for a cheap pdf editor with ocr.  acrobat so expensive and adobe pushy

i've seen pdfs with embedded 3d, dont know how tho.  its not in acrobat standard

I'm using Soda PDF but looking at their website they have switched to a subscription system, so it may not be what you want.

edited July 2021

Ascania said:

Torquinox said:

MagicaCSG has gained an export function in 0.0.1. It may only export to .ply but that can be converted.

That makes a difference. Thanks :) But I'm on 0.0.2 and I am not finding the export feature. The only format I see is .mscg .

I see. It's the Aeriolod app that supports ply export.

https://ephtracy.github.io/index.html?page=aerialod

Post edited by Torquinox on

Left side -> Show IO -> Mesh -> Export

Simples.

Ascania said:

Left side -> Show IO -> Mesh -> Export

Simples.

Finally found it :)

That's so weird! They call .ply "Marching Cube" But now I see why. It's an algorithm.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/computer-science/marching-cube-algorithm

Torquinox said:

That's so weird! They call .ply "Marching Cube" But now I see why. It's an algorithm.

Well, yes. The program uses signed distance fields to create the CSG. There is no actual traditional geometry in it anywhere until the exporter creates it.

Yes, I understand that. Thanks :)

Ascania said:

Torquinox said:

Well, yes. The program uses signed distance fields to create the CSG. There is no actual traditional geometry in it anywhere until the exporter creates it.

like Mandelbulber3D  

this cat does not exist

is

StyleGAN for cats

https://thiscatdoesnotexist.com/

not sure how one would use this with Carrara except maybe with Philemo's cutouts to populate a scene with a cat audience cheeky

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Blender comes with an add-on that imports ply files; "Stanfoed ply Format"

mschack said:

Blender comes with an add-on that imports ply files; "Stanfoed ply Format"

I noticed that. Yes, the ply export format may make the program a lot more useful. I'll have to put something together and see what comes in on the importer.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Everyone :)

Just thought i'd mention 3DCoat ,. the new 2021 version can be used for free (Learning Edition) ....runs as full trial version for 30 days, then unlimited time for learning..

It limits import/export and adds watermarks,. not sure how it would work for just loading a model from Carrara and UV mapping

It may be worth checking out

Anyway,... Hope you're all well

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221

Cool! Thanks 3DAGE!!!

I hope you're doing well too!

...and Stay Well!!! :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

3DAGE said:

HI Everyone :)

Just thought i'd mention 3DCoat ,. the new 2021 version can be used for free (Learning Edition) ....runs as full trial version for 30 days, then unlimited time for learning..

It limits import/export and adds watermarks,. not sure how it would work for just loading a model from Carrara and UV mapping

It may be worth checking out

Anyway,... Hope you're all well

glad you are still with us Andy. Made some happy renders with your kitchen scene, thank you.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Thanks to both of you.

I'm doing ok./ just back from 3 days camping in a hammock,.

Andrew, nice of you to say that, but i know you could make a cube look good :)

OT: I'm hooked on Mr Inbetween.

Dart :) I'm a hermit/nerd, so social distancing isn't a problem.. 

Stay well all of you

smiley

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

3DAGE said:

Thanks to both of you.

I'm doing ok./ just back from 3 days camping in a hammock,.

Andrew, nice of you to say that, but i know you could make a cube look good :)

OT: I'm hooked on Mr Inbetween.

Dart :) I'm a hermit/nerd, so social distancing isn't a problem.. 

Stay well all of you

Add me to the list of folks who are glad to know you are well. Thanks for the S/W link as well,

best,

--ms

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433

Howler 2020 for free > http://www.pdhowler.com/Download.htm

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Some cool stuff here, thanks for sharing all!

Here's a fun little page I've created for PD Howler

Project Dogwaffle Howler

I did a few demonstrations of how I love using it. Here's a fairly recent one, making an animated light gel for volumetric lighting:

edited December 2021

I mostly forgot about this, but if anyone cares... With respect to the magicacsm program and transferring .ply meshes to Blender, I think that's a no-go. I made some simple forms in the magica program and the mesh I got on the other side was a bit of a mess. Too many polys, too much jaggedness along boolean edges, no ability to adjust anything. Honestly, knowing there is no free lunch, probably better off following Stezza's example and just doing such modeling in Carrara. Sure, you can do box/subsurface modeling most anywhere, but Carrara has something Blender really doesn't: Well-developed poly-based spline surface modeling - Gordon, double-sweep, etc. There is a paid Blender plugin that is supposed to fix that, but Carrara does it natively. Cheers to that!

Post edited by Torquinox on