Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

OK, so the update is finally here. What do you guys think?

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited January 2021

It doesn't sound like 8.1 is backwards compatible?

Note that your Genesis 8 products should work with Genesis 8.1 characters, with the exception of some expressions. However, you cannot apply your Genesis 8.1 content to Genesis 8 or earlier characters

Post edited by Kharma on
  • This means that everything that was made for Genesis 8 will work on Genesis 8.1

That which was made specifically for 8.1 will not work on 8. 

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,150
    edited January 2021

Guess I need to wait a little and see how this all develops. Got a lot of questions:

Vicky 8.1 comes with a new 8.1 HD Add-On. Now are we expected to upgrade each and every 8.0 character and HD to 8.1. Would cost a fortune?
    Will those 8.0 morphs packs - thinking mostly of my comprehensive Zev0 library - work with 8.1 or not. Will those be updated free of charge or as paid upgrades?
    Is 8.1 a new figure within the library (regarding all those morphs in the data folder)?

And so on...

Post edited by Rod Wise Driggo on
  • So, why isn't this just Genesis 9? I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm going to go to bed and decided if I want purchase an 8.1 upgrade tomorrow. Just not convinced yet that it's a necessary purchase. Hmmm... 

J

• gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221

JasonSWrench said:

So, why isn't this just Genesis 9? I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm going to go to bed and decided if I want purchase an 8.1 upgrade tomorrow. Just not convinced yet that it's a necessary purchase. Hmmm... 

J

I guess they took a page out of Microsofts book and just called it 8.1. Next one will probably be Genesis 10.  

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Guess I need to wait a little and see how this all develops. Got a lot of questions:

Vicky 8.1 comes with a new 8.1 HD Add-On. Now are we expected to upgrade each and every 8.0 character and HD to 8.1. Would cost a fortune?
    Will those 8.0 morphs packs - thinking mostly of my comprehensive Zev0 library - work with 8.1 or not. Will those be updated free of charge or as paid upgrades?

And so on...

Looks to me like it might as well be Genesis 9. We'll still be buying the characters all over again and the HD addon is STILL separate. Daz may get Vicky and Mike out of me, but I don't think I'm gonna fall for the 60 plus characters like I have now. Forget it. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I'll start with just the Genesis 8.1 update in the updated starter content (in its own separate runtime so I don't have to reinstall plain Genesis 8 to use anything incompatible) and see how that works with existing content before maybe buying Victoria 8.1 (the bundle has nothing of interest for me, so there's no point in buying that). I don't have much use for just Victoria 8.1 without Michael 8.1 anyway.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,978
    edited January 2021

There is one huge difference with Genesis 8.1 apart from the obvious, is that the texture layout has changed.. With Genesis 8 the head, neck and torso texture were one, with Genesis 8.1 the head, neck are one texture while the torso texture is now seperate..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • Rod Wise Driggo said:

Is 8.1 a new figure within the library (regarding all those morphs in the data folder)?

And so on...

Again, everything you have, HD and otherwise other than some expressions will work on 8.1 already. They went to great pains to make sure people didn't lose the use of their G8 libraries. 

JasonSWrench said:

So, why isn't this just Genesis 9? I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm going to go to bed and decided if I want purchase an 8.1 upgrade tomorrow. Just not convinced yet that it's a necessary purchase. Hmmm... 

J

It's the same mesh. It isn't a new figure. It's an update of the one that you already have to improve on realism and a few other things. 

AllenArt said:

Looks to me like it might as well be Genesis 9. We'll still be buying the characters all over again and the HD addon is STILL separate. Daz may get Vicky and Mike out of me, but I don't think I'm gonna fall for the 60 plus characters like I have now. Forget it. 

Nope. Same base figure. All the figures and HD you have will work on 8.1

Ghosty12 said:

There is one huge difference with Genesis 8.1 apart from the obvious, is that the texture layout has changed.. With Genesis 8 the head and torso texture were one, with Genesis 8.1 the head and torso are now seperate entities..

Yes. But, your old materials will still apply as they are without any extra work from you. The programmers did some really cool stuff to make sure what you have wasn't made obsolete. The new body and head section can use the new UV and the old one just as easily as the other.

edited January 2021

ChangelingChick said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

And so on...

Again, everything you have, HD and otherwise other than some expressions will work on 8.1 already. They went to great pains to make sure people didn't lose the use of their G8 libraries. 

JasonSWrench said:

J

It's the same mesh. It isn't a new figure. It's an update of the one that you already have to improve on realism and a few other things. 

AllenArt said:

Ghosty12 said:

There is one huge difference with Genesis 8.1 apart from the obvious, is that the texture layout has changed.. With Genesis 8 the head and torso texture were one, with Genesis 8.1 the head and torso are now seperate entities..

Yes. But, your old materials will still apply as they are without any extra work from you. The programmers did some really cool stuff to make sure what you have wasn't made obsolete. The new body and head section can use the new UV and the old one just as easily as the other.

I know that but it is interesting none the less, also they have separated the tear section as well.. When you look in the surfaces tab you now have Genesis 8, Genesis 8 Eyelash and now Genesis 8 Tear..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • Ghosty12 said:

ChangelingChick said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

And so on...

JasonSWrench said:

J

AllenArt said:

Ghosty12 said:

I know that but it is interesting none the less, also they have separated the tear section as well.. When you look in the surfaces tab you now have Genesis 8, Genesis 8 Eyelash and now Genesis 8 Tear..

Yes. That's one of the changes they made-- a new tear and eyelash mesh. Your old tear and eyelash that is one mesh will still work on her. This way if you use fiber lashes, you don't have to go about hiding the transmapped eyelashes just to make use of the tear. 

ChangelingChick said:

Ghosty12 said:

ChangelingChick said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

And so on...

JasonSWrench said:

J

AllenArt said:

Ghosty12 said:

Yes. That's one of the changes they made-- a new tear and eyelash mesh. Your old tear and eyelash that is one mesh will still work on her. This way if you use fiber lashes, you don't have to go about hiding the transmapped eyelashes just to make use of the tear. 

Ahh huh that is very cool, will have to check out the rest.. :)

• The features look good and I'm looking forward to trying things out, but it's disappointing that the HD add-on is still separate and still as expensive as it is for the Daz Core figures at this point. I was hoping that part of things would change for the "next gen."
  • bjoernb78bjoernb78 Posts: 135
    edited January 2021

So, a lot of things you're going to purchase from now on in DAZ store won't be compatible with your huge library of Genesis 2, 3, 8 characters and that for a 0.1 upgrade.

I think I'll buy a few 8.1 characters but don't go for any content/clothing that only works on them.

I'm very curious about 8.1. but maybe I'll wait for another 8.1 character, because the new Victoria doesn't fit my taste. I also don't see more realism than a well made Genesis 8 render.

Post edited by bjoernb78 on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

I used Genesis 8 on daz 4.8 pretty fine (imho), but guess 8.1 will demand updated due to new systems.

• Well... I said I'd buy Genesis 9 for sure. Wasn't exactly expecting 8.1 here.

I got a banner for another 20% off the bundle (for owning Girls Dorm and Matilda Hair). The bundle shows as $44.67 in the cart for me (with 3 add-ons).

I'll get Victoria 8.1, but there's little I'll actually do with her very soon unless I start transferring a ton of morphs over.

• The Blurst of Times said:

Well... I said I'd buy Genesis 9 for sure. Wasn't exactly expecting 8.1 here.

I got a banner for another 20% off the bundle (for owning Girls Dorm and Matilda Hair). The bundle shows as $44.67 in the cart for me (with 3 add-ons).

I'll get Victoria 8.1, but there's little I'll actually do with her very soon unless I start transferring a ton of morphs over.

Only if you mean from previous generations or the male. All the 8 morphs will already be loaded on her when you pull her up in DS. 

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited January 2021

Here's bluejaunte's Noemi on 8.1 with the figure's HD morphs, original materials, and custom smile expression. It all works the same as it does on 8 in terms of compatibility.

Noemi point One.png
    1241 x 1241 - 621K
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,307

AllenArt said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

And so on...

yes +1

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795

unless they made it Carrara compatible I really don't care.

Translation, likely nothing to see here for me. indecision

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

The Blurst of Times said:

Well... I said I'd buy Genesis 9 for sure. Wasn't exactly expecting 8.1 here.

Just install the free update Genesis 8.1 from the new starter pack and see if you actually need Victoria 8.1. All existing characters should work on Genesis 8.1., you shouldn't need Victoria 8.1 for that.

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

Whoa! Thank you thank you! Cant wait to try out some new shaders, and the new eyes! love those eyes!

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437

mmkdaz said:

Whoa! Thank you thank you! Cant wait to try out some new shaders, and the new eyes! love those eyes!

The new teeth are also great. Victoria 8.1 eyes and the new skin shader are some of my favorite stuff right now.

• The seemingly easier expression features is of course tempting... On the other hand: I have so many Genesis 8.0 characters aquired, that it is just frustrating.

So, I will wait until one noble soul creates a converter smiley

• Ryselle-Ryssa said:

The seemingly easier expression features is of course tempting... On the other hand: I have so many Genesis 8.0 characters aquired, that it is just frustrating.

So, I will wait until one noble soul creates a converter smiley

There is a converter. G8.1 converts G8 herself. No need for extras. 

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,506

Are some of these improvements (like the facial rig and the body hair) just previous separate standalone products that are now included with Genesis 8.1? Gonna be a little frustrated if that's the case.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,307

Where in my PL do I find the Genesis 8.1 Female Starter Essentials? I didn't see any trace of it. Do I have to pay for GF8.1, or only for V 8.1?

• SnowSultan said:

Are some of these improvements (like the facial rig and the body hair) just previous separate standalone products that are now included with Genesis 8.1? Gonna be a little frustrated if that's the case.

Nope. This is new stuff.  

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811

ChangelingChick said:

There is a converter. G8.1 converts G8 herself. No need for extras. 

So does this mean that Genesis 8.0 functionally ceases to exist on your computer once you've installed ... well, that's where I'm confused. There don't seem to be any Genesis 8.1 Starter Essentials. Do the Defalut Resources themselves somehow upgrade Genesis 8 to 8.1?

• caravelle said:

Where in my PL do I find the Genesis 8.1 Female Starter Essentials? I didn't see any trace of it. Do I have to pay for GF8.1, or only for V 8.1?

Still Genesis 8 Starter Essentials.