New DS Filament Render Engine

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,831

I have Win10 and one 980ti so doubt it is that

also it works in your viewport so likely something in your render settings, I render to file myself not new window

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

You haven't added a Filament Draw Options singleton to your scene yet. Add it to your scene from the Create menu and then reduce the ISO in Filament Draw Options to about 0.5.

• Thanks guys.

Barbult, I added a Filament Draw Options in the Scene, and under Tone Mapping I dropped the ISO 0.5, but that did not make any difference in my viewport or when I clicked render.

Still stumped :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Attach a scene file here, and the rest of us can try it on our systems.

• Weird... I ran a primitive object through the engines & didn't even have to adjust the Ruins HDRI when I flipped from Iray to Filament this last time. The default intensity worked fine.

You aren't applying a Shader to your Primitive, are you? I didn't notice any surface settings that looked weird to me, though.

(I use the 4.14.0.8 Beta/public build for my Filament setup, myself. It works fine for me.)

Even with an all-white Viewport (turning up HDRI intensity to get overexposure), I still get a white render out of Filament.

edited February 2021

Unreal Engine can have the same issue as Filament using an opacity map

the solution is to change from a translucent to a masked material and add a dither brick inbetween the masked opacity
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither#Digital_photography_and_image_processing

Now that got me thinking about how one could do this with Cutout Opacity for filament

I have tried a noise texture in the layered image editor using multiply, additive etc to no avail

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • https://ditherit.com/

I found a site

• I have been experimenting with the filament render engine lately since I have been snowed in for a week now. I have found that using Bump maps, and creating Normal maps for the surrounding scene and props has greatly improved my renders. At least in my opinion that is. Here is the most recent render I have created.

Also, I have found that Billboards work nicely if you light them well enough. The two characters in the center are Now-Crowd Billboards, and the guards are Gen 3 males. 

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1123778

• honghongf84honghongf84 Posts: 2
    edited March 2021

the viepwort is blank while select filament mode in 4.15 beta. please help.my gpu 1070 and opengl 4.6,CPU Ryder 1700x

01.jpg
    1152 x 700 - 171K
    02.jpg
    1152 x 700 - 185K
    Post edited by honghongf84 on
  • RHatchRHatch Posts: 49

honghongf84 said:

the viepwort is blank while select filament mode in 4.15 beta. please help.

What kind of GPU do you have?

• RHatch said:

honghongf84 said:

the viepwort is blank while select filament mode in 4.15 beta. please help.

What kind of GPU do you have?

nv 1070.it seems ryzen have problems. my first generation i7 and gtx750 work fine.
  • cajhincajhin Posts: 154
    edited March 2021

I just noticed that, with a 16k HDRI map, as soon as I switch to Filament, DS crashes, every time.

Might be new, or I haven't noticed before.

Looks like the current version cannot handle 'out of memory' gracefully(?)

@Honghong: I'd double check that Filament has a light source. Maybe you have a headlamp that only works in texture shaded mode, or Filament render setting is "Dome only" while there is no HDRI in the scene.

Many settings on the Render tab are also active for the preview.

Post edited by cajhin on

I only have a 980ti and have yet to see these crashes,

I would run out of memory if I had both the viewport AND an iray render going but that's with Filament and iray as both using my card, I set my viewport to bounding for renders

don't think it would crash though just go to CPU

• Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 404
    edited March 2021

I finally decided to have a play with Filament after watching Dreamlight's tutorial about it, and somehow it turned into "can I make an animation with it?"

I'm now smitten, which I never expected.  I've never actually rendered any animations with DS before (well, aside from one random G1 caramelldansen clip, the logic behind which now eludes me), and it took longer to remember how to turn an image series into a video than it did to render the ~700 images in question.

Edit: oooo the embed worked.

If they can fix the transparency issue, add in the emission shader, and maybe include a few basic Filament shaders the way they do for Iray and 3DL -- and maybe if someone could kindly make some toon shaders like Visual or Manga style (pretty please) -- then they might get a little more positive attention focused on it.

Though as it is, it's still a lot of fun when you actually start using it.

Post edited by Pax Asteriae on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,901

Pax Asteriae said:

If they can fix the transparency issue, add in the emission shader, and maybe include a few basic Filament shaders the way they do for Iray and 3DL -- and maybe if someone could kindly make some toon shaders like Visual or Manga style (pretty please) -- then they might get a little more positive attention focused on it.

Though as it is, it's still a lot of fun when you actually start using it.

It would be nice, yes. They also need to fix the shadows (they gets "cut" based on camera angle and dome orientation now) and add support for more lights both in types and number.
    It could be a perfect alt choice for animations.

• PrefoXPrefoX Posts: 237

they cannot fix the shadows, you need rt for good shadows and lighting or use UE4, they can fake better.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,901

PrefoX said:

they cannot fix the shadows, you need rt for good shadows and lighting or use UE4, they can fake better.

I guess you never used anything else than IRay. smiley

Filament IS a raytracing engine and its shadows are really good, if they fix them. They CAN fix them, though, it's just a little tweak in the code they need to do.

Lastly, let me say that shadows in 3Delight are excellent too but Filament is way faster that 3Delight and clearly than IRay, and WAAAAAY less expensive than the latter.

• darcydettmanndarcydettmann Posts: 12
    edited May 2021

Someone else is having problem to ajust the light in Filament? I not founding the options ajust them (and shadows)...

Post edited by darcydettmann on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436
    edited May 2021

darcydettmann said:

Someone else is having problem to ajust the light in Filament? I not founding the options ajust them (and shadows)...

You can either adjust the light(s) in the lighting tab.

Then there's selecting either the Filament Draw, Tonemapper Options, Enviroment Options modes in the scene tab, and messing around with the settings in the Parameters tab.

It's been a while since I've done any rendering. But that's how I've adjusted the lights for Filament in past scenes. 

(I apologise if that's not what you're asking about).

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • N_R Arts said:

darcydettmann said:

Then there's selecting either the Filament Draw, Tonemapper Options, Enviroment Options modes in the scene tab, and messing around with the settings in the Parameters tab.

It's been a while since I've done any rendering. But that's how I've adjusted the lights for Filament in past scenes. 

It's the Area and Photometrics options aren't working, i tried to use then in Parameters and Light tabs and not results. 

• N_R Arts said:

darcydettmann said:

It's the Area and Photometrics options aren't working, i tried to use then in Parameters and Light tabs and not results. 

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

darcydettmann said:

N_R Arts said:

darcydettmann said:

I've found this: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/451401/filament

The user is having the same problem. I don't know a lot about Iray, so I have no idea how to set up Iray lighting.

Then, in the fourth post from the top, the user has added what settings they used with their photometric lights: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/442982/new-ds-filament-render-engine/p18

• darcydettmanndarcydettmann Posts: 12
    edited May 2021

And the lights setting are back to what they're last time a used them. The fur for Boaris showed up (all greyish) if i use raytraced shadows, but normal hair is... trick to say the less. Sometimes i don't understant this program, at all. In other news, someone have any idea how to do a "spotlight" effect in Filament? I want to use it for some nighttime scenes.

Post edited by darcydettmann on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850

Anybody has succeded with NPR (Non Photo Realistic Rendering) renders of Genesis 8 characters in Filament?

If so, please post your results. Thanks.

• cain-xcain-x Posts: 159

Are there any possible solutions to the hair/cap transparency issues with Filament? I wonder if any of the latest betas may have changed this behavior.

don't use transmapped hair wink

I use Fibermesh or the strandbased with line tessalation (about the only use I have for strandbased hair)

You can also use the hair converter plugin for Blender then convert to curves and extrude it to turn transmapped hairs into mesh but it takes hours

• To anybody wondering about the hair situation in Filament, this is out now and it works well:

https://www.daz3d.com/fsl-realistic-hair-shaders-for-iray-and-filament

To add my two cents to the Filament discussion:

I've been using it to make comics, and the process could not be easier. Set up the scenes, convert the shaders from Iray to Filament, use Filament lighting HDRIs, render in the blink of an eye, put the comic frame in GIMP, use the cartoon overlay to the point where it looks inked but not dirty and you got yourself a great looking comic.

It's definitely not impressive from the photorealistic standpoint, but IMHO it makes gorgeous comics!

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited August 2021

riversidebluegrassllc said:

To anybody wondering about the hair situation in Filament, this is out now and it works well:

I've been using it to make comics, and the process could not be easier. Set up the scenes, convert the shaders from Iray to Filament, use Filament lighting HDRIs, render in the blink of an eye, put the comic frame in GIMP, use the cartoon overlay to the point where it looks inked but not dirty and you got yourself a great looking comic.

It's definitely not impressive from the photorealistic standpoint, but IMHO it makes gorgeous comics!

Sounds very similar to what I'm doing, and it works very, very well, especially for toon-styled animation. The only problem I'm having is that I can't get HDRI lighting to work; the HDRIs work perfectly if I switch to iRay, but I get zip in Filament. I assume it's something that I'm doing, but I'm stumped.

-- Walt Sterdan 

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • edited August 2021

wsterdan said:

riversidebluegrassllc said:

To anybody wondering about the hair situation in Filament, this is out now and it works well:

Sounds very similar to what I'm doing, and it works very, very well, especially for toon-styled animation. The only problem I'm having is that I can't get HDRI lighting to work; the HDRIs work perfectly if I switch to iRay, but I get zip in Filament. I assume it's something that I'm doing, but I'm stumped.

-- Walt Sterdan 

Have you tried this?

It's what I'm using and I love it.

https://www.daz3d.com/interior-light-pro-for-filament-and-iray

Edit: It's for interiors only, exterior HDRIs for Iray don't work in filament....yet...

Would just take an enterprising young person to get it working!

Post edited by riversidebluegrassllc on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Yes, that's what I'm using to test it and if I'm trying it usign iRay, no problem, Filament, nothing, the HDRIs make no difference whatsoever.

I'm sure I'm missing something very basic, but totally at a loss.

-- Walt Sterdan