New DS Filament Render Engine

1242526272830»

Comments

• Is there a tutorial or something for this product?

Interior Light Pro for Filament and Iray

I can't seem to get any decent renders. Trying to use Filament with it and can't seem to get any shadows or anything.

• wargiswargis Posts: 142

Hello! Are there any issues in Filament in the latest DS 4.20 (Beta or General release)? I've just updated today to the latest 4.20 Beta after 4.11 Stable release and wanted to try this new render engine. But I got strange issues with Filament in viewport and more strange with different skin shaders of Genesis figures. At first, Filament doesn't work for me in viewport at all and I see just blank white untextured figure or any prop. But when I do Spot Render, it renders textured objects.

When I tried to render via Render menu - Viewport, firstly I tested with G8F base (not G8.1) and noticed that when I try to render Filament viewport immedieately, it produces just empty PNGs, but when I render Texture Shaded viewport at first and then Filament, it gives me the textured image (though I'm not sure it's really Filament, looks more like 3Delight). With G8.1 (PBR Shader) such Filament rendering crashes DS,  and with Genesis 3 (base native skin shaders), shows only blank empty images. Is is a bug of the latest Beta or of my system? I have double AMD GPUs, rather old, and it seems the Studio switches to the weakest of them when rendering, in spite of force-switching to the better one via Catalyst CCC. I run DS under Windows x64 and according to system info, it has Direct X 11 and Open Gl at least 4.1. What I need to use Filament without issues - I mean Vram or Open GL \ Open CL\Direct X version? As for other built-in engines, expect from Iray, all seemed to work right in this 4.20.

Filament Blank Preview Viewport.jpg
    830 x 560 - 128K
    Filament_Spot Render.jpg
    882 x 508 - 225K
    G8F in Filament Render Mode.jpg
    800 x 438 - 131K
  • Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 373

I'm really not understanding the appeal of Filament, or even how to use it. 

It seems like it's only for viewport rendering? What's the point of that?

And it doesn't like things like Ultrascenery. To me that's a big issue, not being able to use iray preview on Ultrascenery scenes is a real kick in the butt, since you can't see a lot of the props in the scene until it's rendered. So you'll spend a lot of time setting up some figures, only to find that there are trees growing through them that you couldn't see in the texture shaded viewport. Filament does nothing for me here.

Do materials have to be prepped for Filament? If so, how? Also if so, it seems like that would take even more time than just rendering with Iray.

I just don't understand.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Steel Rat said:

I've been using it as an alternative to OpenGL in the preview window when I need to work with objects intersecting with the floor. On my system it's actually faster than OpenGL.

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 373

@rrward - Hmm. I don't really get anything useful out of it.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

rrward said:

Steel Rat said:

I've been using it as an alternative to OpenGL in the preview window when I need to work with objects intersecting with the floor. On my system it's actually faster than OpenGL.

I still prefer OpenGL for setting up my scenes but there are some things - such as the dark floor thing - which are easier to see in Filament. Otherwise I switch back to OpenGL predominantly.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,137

Hi there, I have a problem with an HDRI in Filament:

I never had problems using HDRI in Filament, but this time, although it works in IRAY without problems (right side), in Filament it looks way too blurry (left side). The product used is https://www.daz3d.com/eadrith-hdri. I didn't use the preset here (.duf) but loaded it directly in the environment tab (.hdr) and tried to tweak relevant filament dials without success. Could anybody help me please? Thanks!

fault1.jpg
    1920 x 855 - 414K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

it is using the default ruins probably because your  HDR is not 2:;1  in dimensions

WendyLuvsCatz said:

it is using the default ruins probably because your  HDR is not 2:;1  in dimensions

@WendyLuvsCatz Thanks for helping! But it works with iray, or is this 2:1 only a necessity of Filament (I know very little about HDRIs).

mding said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

@WendyLuvsCatz Thanks for helping! But it works with iray, or is this 2:1 only a necessity of Filament (I know very little about HDRIs).

only Filament I discovered it earlier in this thread 

mding said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

mding said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Thats weird: I forced it to 2:1 and it still doesn't show... 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

mding said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Thats weird: I forced it to 2:1 and it still doesn't show... 

edited April 2022

the HDR file has to be 2:1 not the render

Gimp can save as HDR

there may be other reasons but Filament is defaulting to the DT Ruins because it cannot read your HDR

there are several I have it won't load either

exr files especially are not all readable too, edited they often work

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

the HDR file has to be 2:1 not the render

Gimp can save as HDR

there may be other reasons but Filament is defaulting to the DT Ruins because it cannot read your HDR

there are several I have it won't load either

exr files especially are not all readable too, edited they often work

Sorry, I meant that I forced 2:1 inside Gimp and saved as .hdr file. Iray again has no problems, but filament still can't handle it, so it must be because of  another reason, as you suspected in your last post. Well, Filament is still being developed...

But thanks for making things clearer to me!

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
    edited May 2022

by merging 2 hair pieces in one ( export/import .obj ) a was able to get correct opacity/transparency with filament. Oh the other trick is to switch the view mode to iRay or the others, then switch back to filament preview mode, this seems to solve some issues with transparencies and lights.

( yes a static hair prop is not the same as real hair )

filament004.png
    1440 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by mCasual on
    edited May 2022

mCasual said:

by merging 2 hair pieces in one ( export/import .obj ) a was able to get correct opacity/transparency with filament.

Can't confirm, maybe I misunderstood (advanced beginner)?

I loaded a hair and exported it as hair1.obj and again as  hair2.obj.

Then loaded both in Hexagon, grouped them, selected and exported as hair3.obj

Then imported as hair3.obj into DAZ Studio:

Edit: Before rendering I switched between Iray and Filament

r1.png
    800 x 800 - 820K
    Post edited by mding on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

mCasual said:

was able to get correct opacity/transparency with filament.

Could you explain it better, please?