Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

hope you pick it up quicker than I did blush

and I am just so angry right now I could explode angry I watch Reddit post videos on Youtube often and just saw one about something absolutely horrible I won't even share

(just a person reading posts about it on Reddit not the videos)

stuff that is monstrous animal cruelty YouTube doesn't take down

I immediately thought of you with your Carrara tutorials and their crappy misguided  moderation crying

Oh no, Wendy - that sounds horrible.  Folks have suggested alternatives like Vimeo, etc.  I have been so focused on non-3D projects over the last few months that I haven't followed up on any more animations.  Last year about this time I did a month of 3D tutorials in coastal Maine (off season).  This year's trip had to be canceled but I still plan to devote some time to more 3D tutorials.

We'll get more whimsy in the world - they can not stop us!

Note to self.

This is an old model of a toy wagon that I created and animated in Carrara.  I plan to rig it for use in Studio.  Learning exercise.

dio wagon screenshot for rigging hard surface.jpg
    903 x 800 - 119K
  • Still following your thread! Curious to see how you rig it.

And awaiting to see what you do with ZBrush!

Thanks for your interest.  I will be working on a ZBrush figure in the coming weeks.  We'll see if I can get anything worth sharing.  

For hard surface stuff, I did rig a room with doors that open.  Forget where i saved it.  blush

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198

Thanks for this, Diomede!

I do use Daz Studio a bit as a utility tool for Carrara, but am always wanting to dig deeper into it and use it a lot more. That tutorial by Esha you posted looks perfect for me. I'd also like to get some that go even deeper after I finish that one.

So I sit down, intent to get acquainted with Daz Studio more for what it is than how I use it when, without even thinking about it I open Carrara and just get to work - and loving the whole experience! What is it they say about old dogs and new tricks?

After just reading through this a bit, I had forgotten how deeply I was gettin g into Carrara's 3D Paint before my computer died. I have all of Ringo and GKDants' extra brushes and will be grabbing MAT Creator's soon too, since they look so cool! I was working on a sci-fi construction kit sort of EnvironKits for Carrara and using 3D Paint to begin the texturing process and was having an utter blast with it!

Appreciate the discussion, Dart.  You are an inspiration.  I still use Carrrara 3D paint to create opacity masks for Daz Studio geoshells.  Lots of ways the programs are plugins for each other.

I came across a very useful ZBrush reference video so I am posting here.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing that!

edited October 2020

Thanks, Dart.  I am really strugging to learn the ZBrush interface but I think it will be worth the blood, sweat and tears.  

My latest effort = ugh.  sad

bbb01 another try 01.jpg
    606 x 717 - 53K
    bbb02 another try 02.jpg
    773 x 793 - 87K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited October 2020

It looks very promissingyes

Maybe my efforts to sculpt and remesh in ZBrush will be of interest to you:

Post edited by Vyusur on

Thank you, Veronika.  As always, very inspiring!  I gave you a like and subscribed.  yes

I wish I was as comfortable adopting the tools.  My biggest current problem is that when I select a brush or adjust the settings of a brush and then apply to a model, the result is still not what I intend.  After I get better with the interface and tools, then my biggest problem will be that what I am trying to do is not a good idea.  wink

Thank you for your interest. Over time, you will have your favorite brushes that will do what you need.

This is a pic of a statue that I might use as inspiration.

Temperance Statue.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    edited November 2020

A work in progress for my ZBrush spaceship practice project.  I plan to add 3 cockpits in the 'head,' laser canons in the tips of the 'legs.' jet thrusters in the tail, and a long tubular main cabin along the top of the spine.  After I add those accessories and remesh, I will port to Substance Painter.  If it works out OK, I will offer it as a freebie.

aa01 spaceship hull.jpg
    1736 x 914 - 243K
    aa02 spaceship rear engine slots.jpg
    840 x 588 - 41K
  • I thought it was a dragon blush

still considerably better than what I could do in Zbrush for a year yes

Very cool, Diomede! Very organic!

edited November 2020

Thanks for the encouragement, Wendy and Dart.  Unfortunately for me, I was NOT one of those people for whom ZBrush comes naturally.  But I'm glad I stuck with it.  It is slowly starting to click.  As I said elsewhere, I do feel like I turned a corner with John haverkemp's tutorials.  And Dart, much thanks for the links to Michael Pavlovich's tutorials.  The first two parts were redundant with what I had already learned (redundant is good when learning), and the third part was EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED to help me resist starting in another modeler and then bringing back to ZBrush for final detail.  I feel like I could model anything in ZBrush now -although I am still struggling with the interface.  I am struggling a lot less.  For other visitors, here are the links Dart posted in another thread.

Playlists:

John Haverkamp has sculpting tutorials through Digital Art Live, and like I said, was perfect for me.  Doesn't stop at ZBrush, includes the export to Substance Painter and the finishing up there.

Digital Art Live will have another ZBrush webinar that focuses on hard surface modeling during the first weekend in December.  This time by Jessica Beaubien.  The ZModeler is ZBrush's version of vertex modeling, which corresponds to the 'Part 3' in Dart's posted play list from Paul Pavlovich.  I have set aside some of my 3D budget to attend that DAL webinar.  The recordings usually end up in the Daz store.

https://digitalartlive.com/event/zmodeler-astonishing-power-for-surface-modeling/

ZModelerPoster.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 361K

The fellow that mentored me in 3ds Max told me (a couple years ago) that he now uses Zbrush for everything from modeling (he does very architectural-type things for work) to creating the textures to rendering.

I didn't know we could do all of that. He loves it.

I'm still loving Carrara (as you know! LOL) and was just doing some fun SubD modeling. I'm getting better as I complete my little minor projects of minor objects that ften never even make it into screen, but I need them there anyways! :)

This time I did a shirt for VWD, but it didn't turn out well - but the modeling experience was awesome! 

I guess I know why you're kinda quiet these days - busy learning and modeling! That's a Great Thing!

Diomede said:

A work in progress for my ZBrush spaceship practice project.  I plan to add 3 cockpits in the 'head,' laser canons in the tips of the 'legs.' jet thrusters in the tail, and a long tubular main cabin along the top of the spine.  After I add those accessories and remesh, I will port to Substance Painter.  If it works out OK, I will offer it as a freebie.

I thought it was flying rat. Nice project!

edited November 2020
    Vyusur said:
    Diomede said:

Thanks for the kind comment.  The wings are loosely inspired by bat wings.  Bats are flying rats (sort of), so I can see the resemblance!

Note to observers, I will be making two versions.  The one above is a more organic structure.  I will also do a more insect-like hard surface version.  Just for comparisons.

Diomede said:
    Vyusur said:
    Diomede said:

Thanks for the kind comment.  The wings are loosely inspired by bat wings.  Bats are flying rats (sort of), so I can see the resemblance!

Note to observers, I will be making two versions.  The one above is a more organic structure.  I will also do a more insect-like hard surface version.  Just for comparisons.

Yes, exactly! Maybe even flying dog (sort of bat with a long muzzle)

Vyusur said:
    Diomede said:
    Vyusur said:
    Diomede said:

Yes, exactly! Maybe even flying dog (sort of bat with a long muzzle)

When I caught a bat when I was young, the first thing I noticed is how much it looked like a little flying dog! I've been a Brown Bat fan ever since! Love those little creatures!

• ones I handled when with some bird catcher and taggers at uni were so velvety and soft, think Australian ones are marsupial too, the big ones that migrated here recently from interstate the flying foxes certainly are.

edited December 2020

Stuck!

I am stuck with time running out for both the Carrara Monthly Challenge and the Its Raining Men Challenge.

I have been so focused on learning software that I have not completed a full image in months, or so it seems.

Stuck!

edited December 2020

Although stuck for full images, I do feel like I am making progress in various programs.

ZBrush - I am reconceptualizing the spaceship with a more insect-based concept.  I am attaching a WIP.  I feel much better at the controls of ZBrush now.  In getting this far, I am able to go back and forth between the base sculpting functions and the more familiar (to me) ZModeler box modeling.  

Marvelous Designer - I have been investigating basic sewing concepts at the same time as learning the program.  What I like about this particular attempt at the start of a top is that stretching has been kept low.  I still need to a better job in the arm hole.  My next step will be using the measure metrics plugin to get accurate stats to use with the patterns and darts.

cc03 zbrush spaceship redesigned.jpg
    1046 x 683 - 60K
    cc01 md pattern and start.jpg
    1890 x 984 - 207K
    cc02 patterns from the web.jpg
    1517 x 831 - 191K

That is So Cool!

I'm branching off into new wonders as well. With the advent of D|S 4.14, and someone mentioning in my thread the new Filament PBR engine, I just had to take a closer look at using D|S as a rendering tool.

Well, I don't like Filament yet (yet), but Iray is really something! Then came that email announcement about ORK (Octane Render Kit). I'm not sure I'd be too keen to have to dig so deeply as to learn how to change every blasted individual surface in a new system right now but this ORK makes it a real dream! I still have troubles with certain materials that I can't seem to figure out using the kit's presets, so that'll be fun to dig in and hook up some nodes to get them working!

Thank heavens that I'm still neck-deep in Carrara projects.

Everything that I've been trying to do in D|S seems to take days, where a couple of hours in Carrara can yield me some renders. I'm not talking about the fact that I still feel like I'm dialing a 70's rotary phone with horse hooves, it's just that dForce gets through one frame in the time it takes Carrara to complete an entire time range four times as long as the one I'm waiting for in D|S. Then Iray... eee gads! So lovely though!

So now I'm learning how to optimize and get those times shortened. Now I remember back when I was a newbie with Carrara. If I'd just point, click and hit the Render button, I might just as well take a vaction while I wait. For one, I was using minimal requirements for the software. For another, I just didnt know enough about trimming time via efficient practices.

Experimenting is doing me a world of good, and I'm really loving Daz Studio. Well then there's MSolomon and his most entertaining videos about how much fun he's having with the Daz to Blender plugin. So just last night I downloaded Blender and gave it a shot. Sure enough! Rosie 8 came through with working materials and the whole nine yards!

I couldn't do anything with her yet, but I'm eager to see how that pans out.

In the meantime, I've now become a Gold Club Member over at PoserWorld, and have been downloading ton (Tons) and Mega-tons of really cool stuff! It all works in Carrara so far, but I'm really tempted to buy a new version of Poser once I save up enough. 

Oh crap... I'm talking your ears off! Sorry about that!

I also wanted to mention (have I mentioned this before?) that when they were making the movie Alita Battle Angel, the costume designer made actual clothes for the size that the digital Alita would be if she were real. She then gave the patterns of the costumes to Weta Digital and LightStorm, wherre they plugged the patternes into Marvellous Designer to make the digital clothes for Alita. 

What's more is they then found a girl of the same dimensions, and had her wear the clothes that she made so they could film her doing various actions. They then interpreted the results along with simulation tests until they got the digital clothing to behave like the real thing. No wonder it took so many years to make that flick!

You'll see. One day I'll have Zbrush and MD and we can make dinosaurs together and cloth them with real clothes!!! ;)

Cheers, my friend!

edited March 2021

EDIT: My first attempt to post in the new gallery. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/54/a9d96622e1d6ad891c81cc9b8852a3.jpg

End Edit

I decided to submit an image for the International Women's Day Challenge.  Theme = "...a render that celebrates the strength and empowerment of women worldwide."

I decided on a tribute to the WWII Rosie the Riveter Poster.  

During these Covid times, elevating women might start with elevating the home office work station.

As Rosie the Riveter said, We can do it!

Elevated We Can Do It IWD Made with Daz Diomede.jpg
    2000 x 2400 - 848K

?? How do you link to the gallery?  I tried to imbed the above link in the image posting dialogue, but it wouldn't accept it.  I had to upload the whole image again, which I am sure isn't right.  ?? 

Daz Studio + Postwork for Bookcovers

This video was recommended by Tiffanie G of Digital Art Live.  

Diomede said:

?? How do you link to the gallery?  I tried to imbed the above link in the image posting dialogue, but it wouldn't accept it.  I had to upload the whole image again, which I am sure isn't right.  ?? 

You have to click on the image thumbnail in the gallery to open it (in the gallery), right-click > Copy Image Address

I did it here to make sure the info was accurate. Just paste the copied url into the image dialog as usual.

That done, Wow! I love this! Very nicely done rendition of a Very Cool Poster!!!!

Bravo, my friend!