How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• Very useful info - thanks :)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Happy to answer any questions

edited October 2020

Just playing around with a primitive plane and a smack from a sphere to set it all in motion (the sphere hits the plane at frame 2 of 60 and pulls away). I've added directions lower in this post.

Added a rigid follow node to the plane and floated a boat.

Added a dock made from more primitives.

62.Making Waves. You can use the momentum property of dForce to cause a primitive plane to billow with ocean-like waves.

a. Create a 10 foot primitive plane with 250 divisions.

b. Add a dForce modifier to the plane.

c. Add a dForce modifier weight node to the plane.

d. From the Tool Settings pane, select the node weight brush.

e. Add an influence weight map.

f. Select geometry selection mode at the top of the tool settings pane. Right click in the viewport and select Selection Mode/Marquee Selection.

g. Draw a rectangle that is slightly smaller than the size of the plane. Right click in the viewport and select Geometry Selection/Invert Selection. Right click in the viewport and choose Weight Editing/Fill Selected and set value to 0 influence weight. This will hold the edges of the plane fixed in space (see image below).

h. Go to the Surfaces Pane and set the dForce surface properties Stretch and Shear stiffness to 0.01. Set density to 5000. This will make the plane very stretchy.

i. In the Simulation Settings pane, Environment property group, set gravity to 0.

j. Add a 1 foot sphere with 32 segments and sides to the scene.

k. Create a 60 frame timeline. At frame 0, have the sphere centered above the plane. At frame 2 position the sphere so it is halfway embedded in the plane. At frame 4 move the sphere up and away.

l. Run an animated dForce simulation. You should see waves emanating from the spot where the sphere struck the plane.

m. Add a water shader to the plane. Render an animated series and create a gif at https://gifmaker.org/

n.  Select Geometry Editor from the Tool Settings pane. Drag the mouse to select a few polygons on the plane part way between the center and an edge. Right click in the viewport and select Geometry Assignment/Create Rigid Follow Node from Selected… This will add an I-beam child to the plane in the scene pane. Parent a boat to the I-beam. As the node moves with the animation, the attached boat will follow the movements.

o. Experiment with striking the sphere in a corner instead of the center, striking with two sphere, striking with a horizontal cylinder, etc. You can also experiment with the surface settings (especially density) to make the plane less stretchy. 

dForce wave weight map.jpg
    511 x 525 - 14K
    dForce wave rigid node.jpg
    276 x 99 - 13K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,648

But for the plane, you've setted gravity to 0?

Yes, gravity is 0. This is pure momentum propagating back and forth. The plane has a weight map with the edges having an influence weight of 0 to hold them still. 

• TirickTirick Posts: 225
    RGcincy said:

Just playing around with a primitive plane and a smack from a sphere to set it all in motion (the sphere hits the plane at frame 2 of 60 and pulls away).

Added a rigid follow node to the plane and floated a boat.

Added a dock made from more primitives.

This is just pure genius!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Very impressive indeed!

RGcincy said:

Yes, gravity is 0. This is pure momentum propagating back and forth. The plane has a weight map with the edges having an influence weight of 0 to hold them still. 

Thank you for info

Thanks @Tirick and @barbult.

@Crios, I added directions to the bottom of the original post. Biggest thing I didn't mention before is setting density to 5000 and stretch and shear stiffnesses at 0.01.

edited October 2020
    RGcincy said:

Thanks @Tirick and @barbult.

@Crios, I added directions to the bottom of the original post. Biggest thing I didn't mention before is setting density to 5000 and stretch and shear stiffnesses at 0.01.

Good, i would make something similare, but with a ship who move from right to left.

Post edited by Crios on
    edited October 2020
    Crios said:

Good, i would make something similare, but with a ship who move from right to left.

If you do, post an image or animation so we can see what you came up with.

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 373

Odd. When I create a primitive or choose an existing object, then go to Edit/Object/Geometry, there is no option to add a Dforce modifer...

You might need to do this: from main menu, select Window/Workspace/Update and Merge Menus. If that doesn't work, you dhould be able to access the add modifiers command from the Simulation Settings pane menu.

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 373
    edited October 2020
    RGcincy said:

You might need to do this: from main menu, select Window/Workspace/Update and Merge Menus. If that doesn't work, you dhould be able to access the add modifiers command from the Simulation Settings pane menu.

Yeah, I saw that after posting, further upthread. Thanks! Odd, I haven't had to do that before. I did find it another way. In the Simulation settings screen, clicking the three bars with the triangle in the upper right corner, then Dforce, I can see those options.

BTW, thanks for some super awesome tutorials! Very comprehensive!

Post edited by Steel Rat on

Glad you got it worked out. Have fun.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited November 2020

I never thanked you for this wonderful thread which is my Dforce Bible so... Thanks a lot RGcincy!

I remember reading somewhere in this thread that to avoid explosions in old garment a parameter had to be put to 0.2 but I can't remember which parameter was. Can you tell me or point me where I read it?

Post edited by Jerife on
    Jerife said:

I never thanked you for this wonderful thread which is my Dforce Bible so... Thanks a lot RGcincy!

I remember reading somewhere in this thread that to avoid explosions in old garment a parameter had to be put to 0.2 but I can't remember which parameter was. Can you tell me or point me where I read it?

Thanks Jerife. That would be set Bend Stiffness to 0.2. Also, to avoid explosions, make sure there is no pinching between limbs and clothing (e.g., if elbow is leaning on leg, leave a small gap between elbow and leg).

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272

Bend Stiffness at 0.2: Allright

Thank you very much RGcincy, that space between surfaces I always kept :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

@RGcicny, have you noticed a change in the way dForce acts in the latest Daz Studio versions? I'm using 4.14.1.28 Public Beta, and dForce clothing seems much stiffer and less pliable than previously.

edited December 2020

I haven't upgraded to 4.14 yet nor have I used the 4.14 beta. I can download the beta and take a look.

ETA: I installed the beta and the first item I looked at seemed to simulate the same as before. I'll look at a few more. Is there a particular item you have been noticing issues with?

• runidjurhuusrunidjurhuus Posts: 24
    edited February 2021

Before I start diving into this what seems to be an amazing guide, can any of this be applied to animations? For instance hair dynamics, hair moving along with the characters body movement etc?

Post edited by runidjurhuus on
  • TirickTirick Posts: 225

dForce calculates each frame (and to some degree in between frames), so it can certainly be applied to animation. I have a (very short) animation I put together with a bit of movement on a long dress. While I am not an expert (I just started using Daz in earnest in the last 5-6 months) it demonstrates a tiny bit of what is possible.

https://www.deviantart.com/tirick/art/Frontal-Assault-Animation-WIP-01-867288880

I will say dForce is a bit of a monster to get right, so expect some frustrations along the way. For static shots you will almost always need to plan ahead and use an animated timeline to prepare/tweak draping or setup blowing wind.

• runidjurhuus said:

Before I start diving into this what seems to be an amazing guide, can any of this be applied to animations? For instance hair dynamics, hair moving along with the characters body movement etc?

Actual dForce hair is a somewhat different beast. There are models of hair "with dForce", but they're made of a million ribbons.

runidjurhuus said:

Yes it can, almost all my simulations are done using the animation timeline. That said, there is some time needed for dForce to react so you may find your animation pace has to be slower than normal to get the effect you are looking for. Hair is a particularly tough subject. I find the commercial dForce strand base hairs to be the easiest to use but not everyone likes their look. It's hit or miss on other hairs, some requiring extensive prep work to make useable.

• RGcincy said:

I find the commercial dForce strand base hairs to be the easiest to use but not everyone likes their look.

They mostly look super meh in Iray, but they're the best thing since sliced bread in 3Delight. 

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,216

I need help with dforce. I have a dforce item, however I don't like how a part of it drapes. Is it possible to change the dforce on the area I'm having trouble with and how do I do that?

Already looked at the list of tutorials at the beginning of this thread and haven't found what I'm looking for, except to purchase something and I can't afford that at this time.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Faeryl Womyn said:

I need help with dforce. I have a dforce item, however I don't like how a part of it drapes. Is it possible to change the dforce on the area I'm having trouble with and how do I do that?

Already looked at the list of tutorials at the beginning of this thread and haven't found what I'm looking for, except to purchase something and I can't afford that at this time.

Can you show us an example of how it looks and what you would want it to do?

Faeryl Womyn said:

As Leana said, tell us more (image showing the result you don't like, product name, what you are trying to get it to look like). There's likely several things you can try without buying anything.  

• RikGGRikGG Posts: 20

Faeryl Womyn said:

It sounds like you want dforce weight maps. They allow you to paint over the areas you want to be less affected. I've spent the last few weeks trying to get to grips with force. It's a bit tricky.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,216

The question isn't for me, but a friend. The item is not one I own, and a recent addition to the store, it has a hood and it's dforce, but the person does not like how it sits off the head and against the back. I remember something about taking a already dforced item and changing it by adding new dforce. In this case I believe having the fabric lighter would make it lay flatter on the back.

This is the item

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-ember-skies-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-females