Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• rbaclerbacle Posts: 6

I am wondering when they are going to give Carrara 8.5 Pro away for free, since it is now over 7 years old and other 3D software runs rings around Carrara.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    rbacle said:

I am wondering when they are going to give Carrara 8.5 Pro away for free, since it is now over 7 years old and other 3D software runs rings around Carrara.

then why do you want Carrara for free? Use those other softwares cheeky

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

seems like i didnt miss an updatewink

• Mystiarra said:

we missed you Misty heart welcome back

• rbacle said:

then why do you want Carrara for free? Use those other softwares cheeky

yes

• Bonjour,

j'ai "acheté" autrefois pour Carrara, la version Beta > Carrara 8 Beta 8.1.0.153, que j'ai dans My Account / Product Library, mais pas dans DIM, malgré le filtre Public Build

en vous remerciant, amicalement, Dany

carrara.jpg
    1038 x 425 - 94K
    Mystiarra said:

we missed you Misty heart welcome back

thanks.

i go for eye inj treatments every month, one day might be able to see the gui again.

suggestion for carrara x.enlightened

i personally dont use the storyboard tab

i think a tab room to focus on the face would be hellpful.  focus on the face rig bones.
    hair tools to focus on eye lashes and eyebrows.. a dedicated face camera

and tools to easily fix poke thru while the character and clothes are in their posed positionkissheart

a retaiil box version of Carrara would be nice, too.  i would love to buy carrara s/w for my cousin for christmas.  a daz store account for a 14yo is out of the question.

FIGEAC said:

Bonjour,

j'ai "acheté" autrefois pour Carrara, la version Beta > Carrara 8 Beta 8.1.0.153, que j'ai dans My Account / Product Library, mais pas dans DIM, malgré le filtre Public Build

en vous remerciant, amicalement, Dany

J’espère que cela aide

Carrara 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_14653

Carrara 8.5 Pro (Win 64-bit)
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_16777

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_16175

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_17078

edited January 2021

Feature requests

I'd like to be able to apply a shader without changing the texture map.
    in poser parlance, it's a wacro.  like can apply an ss shader but keep the skin map that is already applied to the surface.

I'd like to be able to resize x,y, outfit body parts after it is conformed.

I'd like to be able to move verts when the figure and outfit is in posed position.

Thanks for listening smiley  great software, it's like a suite with all her features.
    heartheartheart

Post edited by Mistara on

Holi Cannoli

36 cpres!

will i need the grid to run carrara on 36 cores?
    or is the grid for nodes only?

Mystiarra said:

Holi Cannoli

36 cpres!

no

Stringtheory shared a screenshot using 36 tiles on a work rig 

Mystiarra said:

Holi Cannoli

36 cpres!

no

Stringtheory shared a screenshot using 36 tiles on a work rig 

wow.  is a lot render buckets.

more feature request

to be able to export a rigeed carrara swivel chair or toilet seat to a cr2

a mrop to mloor mommand.  

marrara X

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

As to Grid it only counts the CPU on the Carrara Render Nodes it does not count the CPU's on the machine running Carrara.

Currently I have 2 Hp Z820's with 96 Gb RAM and 16 hyperthreaded cores each this means that on each machine they have 32 cores so I can have both of these plus my lowly 8 core machine running at the same time.

Now if I had 4 of the Z 820's I could use them all as the render nodes (96 Cores) would not be above 100. But I would have a grand total of 130 cores.  

The Z820's are slower although they have dual Xeon processors they are only 2.53 Ghz in speed. Using a faster I7 or the new I9 is faster than these, but they do work well for the network rendering where I don't care how long they are rendering. 

something like the poser walk designer in carrara, but better.enlightened

an update to use new poser content.  like lafemme, miki 3.

next upgrade, can yoos add render to mp4 format?

and a way to sync sound effects to collision detection, like footsteps and slapping a sphere.  ?

feature request. 

a quixker way to parent a hat to a head without having to drag it down the instance list. 

mebbe a right lick, with a selection to 'parent to' head, or right hand, or left hand. left foot, right foot, tongue04.

need some more timeline tools.

easily select a whole column cut and paste it to another frame.

a oee click applying a carrara pose preset. tool for quixckly saving face rigged expressions

Mystiara said:

need some more timeline tools.

easily select a whole column cut and paste it to another frame.

a oee click applying a carrara pose preset. tool for quixckly saving face rigged expressions

hold alt and drag the selected keyframes  

enlightened idea for appling a master pose.

go to the frame.  highlight the figure.  double click the master pose from the browser tray.

a separte save pose button for morphs.  a separate save pose for face rigging.

comm onn 8.20 momma needs a new pair of shoes

on a side note,  i've set my jpg options to excellent.  yet every time i save a jpg render it stops and asks me what level to save at, and it always says hi, no matter the options i've set.  i mean it's liveable, but after a few dozen renders it's like i wish it would look up the option i set.

in the next upgrade,  can the shaders save with a flat thumbnail?  or give the option,

a sphere doesn't help show what it is for makeup and eyes.

feature request

a drop to floor command.

feature request

apply a carrara pose, like a poser pose.  dble click or drop onto the figure model in the instances.

• jcalderjcalder Posts: 10

I have started testing Blender 3.0.0-alpha. First impression, big UI improvements since approx 8 years ago when I last looked. And 3.0.0-alpha looks a lot like Carrara. I am wondering if there is a Carrara influence? It has "rooms" with a top row of buttons a lot like Carrara. The object manipulator buttons on the left look and act the same. Scene navigation took me all of about one minute to figure out - done with 2 x top right drag buttons that look and act like Daz Studio. I was able to give it a good workout using only the Guides to Blender for Carrara Users from this forum, with most of the recommended configurations not needed because 3.0.0-alpha acts in a Carrara like way by default. First observation of strangeness. When I selected a cube and tesselated it to a finer mesh, the finer mesh only happened in the faces visible to the camera. Todo find out if that is an error, or by design, or there is a different definition of "selection". Also Todo is investigate the Daz Studio Bridge to Blender as a possible future Carrara replacement. I say future because Carrara 8.5 Pro is working well for me on 2 x long term creative movie projects and 3.0.0 will need to pass a lot more tests to get itself phased in.

And I have the magic number 1.83 to share. I have had success with creating models in Carrara to print on a friend's basic 3D printer. I export as .obj file which this printer accepts. Discovery is that it prints small by a factor of 1.83. Friend reports that the printer has a scaling control and results are accurate when he enters 1.83. Doing a final scaling step x 1.83 in Carrara also works.

request for next update

i wish loading a geometry wouldn't bop me over to the sequence tray.  usually i want to load something additionally from the same folder.  the bop is a litttle disorienting.

a single shortcut key for remove unused obj and unused shader

will the next update be 8.5.1.20**  or  8.5.2.00** ?

a preferences option to set the shader room previewer to flat would help save some time.

and a preferences option to save shader thumbnials to flat instead of sphere would be helpful sometimes.

and set the default filter to sampling instead of the mips.