Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 4

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited December 1969

Invited Guest Contributor

More random items renders of things I've picked up recently in the March Madness Sale.

Continuing on my Mada theme first: here's my first look at Essence for Genesis. This set includes a dress, separate sleeves, headpiece, poppy hair props and a background posing stage and wall with several colour options.
    The first thing I did with the clothing (yes, I am perverse!) is to try it on a G2F figure: FW Cassie for Teen Josie 6 by FWArt with Sultry Hair by DAZ3D/goldtassel.
    The dress and the head-piece autofitted very well to Cassie, the hair poppies quite well, but I moved them slightly (using the provided in-out morphs) closer to her head to show less stem. In this pose (with the arms close to the body) the sleeves didn't work very well (bits of the mesh stuck out oddly) so I left them off. I've put them back for the different pose in the second picture. The left (raised) arm is as placed by autofit except for a cuff movement with one of the morphs provided. The right arm needed a little more work with some twists and bends of the sleeve bones. I think it came out quite well?
    Next I put the outfit where it belongs - on a Genesis figure: Chablis for Genesis and V4 by DAZ3D/Morris (hair is Sultry as above). I've used one of the three white texture versions of the Essence outfit, then one of the two black versions. (Note that the second Chablis image shows the same pose as the first Cassie image and the sleeves work fine on the Genesis figure, so the problem is in autofit rather than in the Essence outfit itself.)
    For all these images, the lighting is a mix of Age of Armour's Advanced Ambient Light and Advanced Spotlight.

Essence-Chablis-02.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 321K
    Essence-Chablis-01.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 306K
    Essence-Cassie-02.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 332K
    Essence-Cassie-01.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 345K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited April 2014

Invited Guest Contributor

More random items renders of things I've picked up recently in the March Madness Sale.

Something newer (and still punch-worthy till midnight) is Lady de Lioncourt Dress for G2F by Neftis3D. The hair is also new to me: Marie Louise Hair also by Neftis3D (and on sale today).
    The model here is Kori for Olympia by DAZ3D/Countess/Silver. The jewellery is from Princess Collection 2 by PandyGirl (necklace and earrings) and Evening Gown for G2F by DAZ3D/Ravenhair (bracelet). The textures for the bracelet are from the Dreamy Gowns texture set by DAZ3D/Sarsa, but those on the necklace and earrings are modified by me to match the dress.
    The room is from Rural Chateau and the chair from Rural Chateau II by Jack Tomalin. The backdrop that can be seen through the windows is the daytime skybox from Speed Render Stages by Flipmode. Lighting is another mix of a distant light plus Age of Armour's Advanced Ambient Light and Advanced Spotlight.
    The first image show the dress out-of-the box, complete with little bats on the skirt (I left off the bat wings prop that comes with the set to fix to G2F's back) and the tall spiky collar.
    The second and third images have the collar removed (by transparency) and the dress retextured with fabric shaders from Ye Olde Clothe Bundle by Teresa Tyllo/Marieah and The LaceMaker by Marieah. It's not obvious from the pictures (without looking closely) but the skirt has four MATzones: the front panel, the slightly-ruched hem trim on the front panel (both pale blue here), the main skirt area and the slightly-ruched hem trim of the main skirt (both deep blue here). One note for people who like retexturing with tiled textures like this: the tiles come out very tiny when first applied - I needed to set the horizontal and vertical tiling to less that 1.0 (as little as 0.3 on one section) to get a good-sized pattern repeat, also to adjust the offets as the skirt sections and ruched hem sections don't quite line up otherwise. I could have spent a little longer and got a better effect. Oh, I also used Ye Olde Clothe shaders on the curtains and chair - I really love these shaders and get a lot of use out of them.

Lady-de-Lioncourt-03.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 362K
    Lady-de-Lioncourt-02.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 416K
    Lady-de-Lioncourt-01.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 368K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Wow! Pretty dress MelanieL!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

The background goes so nicely with the woman and the dress- and I love the gatherings of the skirt section. Reminds me of Aave's products. I think I like the red and black best. I definitely like the dress without the spikey collar.

The hair goes beautifully with the dress, compliments that period of time.
    Thanks for sharing :)

edited December 1969

Just a suggestion- put what you want in your cart and wait to see if later in the day they are going to offer the spend $50 and get $10 off. They did last time, and this is the last hurrah. If they don't, no biggie- but if they do, and you buy early this morning or afternoon, you might miss out. (Unless you won't be home and / or you think you'll forget to come back and check out.)

USE YOUR WISHLIST to see what's 40% off then test it to see if it further reduces :)

edited April 2014

I'm just going through the vendors who rarely go on sale, as 55% isn't that big of a deal at the moment after a month of shopping. (In other words, due to budget, am done buying unless it's 58% plus the 10% discount.)

But here's a few interesting ones from vendors that you dont see that often in sales.The prices I am giving would be if it is the SECOND MM item and you get 10% off on top of that if you own a qualifying item. You know the drill.

Cyberpunk For M4 by ElorOnceDark
    This one has interesting weapons, a sword, and sunglasses too: (And goes to 8.98 if it's the second MM item and you have 10%)
    Frankly, I like the boots. They don't seem bulbous on the toe like some of the other ones do. And that arm piece (silver) can be used separately.
    http://www.daz3d.com/cyberpunk-for-m4

EDIT: Another one by ElorOnceDark- Kunoichi for A4 V4, would make a nice top. Has movement morphs for the flaps to come up at the bottom of the shirt (will show you an image of her upside down.) Goes to $7.63
    http://www.daz3d.com/kunoichi-for-a4-v4

Going from one vendor to another, here's a cute combination (still V4) for an outfit that can go light and airy or goth. Love the layering.
    http://www.daz3d.com/cherry-blossom-for-v4 is $8.08

then there's this for that outfit-
    http://www.daz3d.com/grim-tales for 4.47

Post edited by Novica on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited April 2014

Novica said:
    I'm just going through the vendors who rarely go on sale, as 55% isn't that big of a deal at the moment after a month of shopping. (In other words, due to budget, am done buying unless it's 58% plus the 10% discount.)

But here's a few interesting ones from vendors that you dont see that often in sales.The prices I am giving would be if it is the SECOND MM item and you get 10% off on top of that if you own a qualifying item. You know the drill.

Cyberpunk For M4 by ElorOnceDark
    This one has interesting weapons, a sword, and sunglasses too: (And goes to 8.98 if it's the second MM item and you have 10%)
    Frankly, I like the boots. They don't seem bulbous on the toe like some of the other ones do. And that arm piece (silver) can be used separately.
    http://www.daz3d.com/cyberpunk-for-m4

EDIT: Another one by ElorOnceDark- Kunoichi for A4 V4, would make a nice top. Has movement morphs for the flaps to come up at the bottom of the shirt (will show you an image of her upside down.) Goes to $7.63
    http://www.daz3d.com/kunoichi-for-a4-v4

Cyberpunk for M4 is a great set. I have both it and the Cyberpunk for M4 expansion set, which comes with additional weapons, as well as cyberlegs, shorts, and updated boots that fit the legs. I use the cyberarms from Cyberpunk for M4 for Marc (his right hand), Mirandez (his left arm), and Kageto (both arms), and the clothes come in handy for multiple characters. The sets are also great for your "generic" cyberpunks. And the sets fit very well on Gnenesis figures, both male and female.
    Cyberpunks-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1539 - 382K
    Girls-Night-Out-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 649K
    Buccaneer-test-(small).jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 320K
    All-Dressed-Up-for-St-Pattys-Day-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 518K
    Against-the-Yakuza-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 557K
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited April 2014

The guns in Cyberpunk M4 are really good. You can see them here in the foreground. The only problem with the boots I found is that they are demi platform. It kind of throws a pose off because you constantly have to move the foot up or he is sinking through the floor.

Here are two of the blasters. You can see they look really nice.

The expansion is good too. I think I got that really HUGE gun I rendered in the last thread from there. Not a huge fan of oversize weapons like that, but they have some impression power and may have their place with oversize characters.

There is also another expansion Lazarus M4. I don't own that, one.

Steph8.jpg
    1136 x 994 - 482K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

The guns in Cyberpunk M4 are really good. You can see them here in the foreground. The only problem with the boots I found is that they are demi platform. It kind of throws a pose off because you constantly have to move the foot up or he is sinking through the floor.

Here are two of the blasters. You can see they look really nice.

The expansion is good too. I think I got that really HUGE gun I rendered in the last thread from there. Not a huge fan of oversize weapons like that, but they have some impression power and may have their place with oversize characters.

There is also another expansion Lazarus M4. I don't own that, one.

I love the BFG that comes with the expansion set. So does Tommie.
    BFG-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 785K
    edited December 1969

I found these poses too. Thanks for sharing the renders! :)
    http://www.daz3d.com/cyberpunk-storm

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/post-apocalyptic-for-cyberpunk

By Morris. I love Morris products, as you know. :)

edited December 1969
    edited April 2014

I am still amused by the store's selection of skimpy ladies dresses which have proliferated during MM. I think some of them might be interesting with a bodysuit underneath as Novica suggested.

I admit though, I keep thinking they've exhausted the panels that can be cut out of the same style outfit to make sexy dress, but I am constantly proved wrong. =-) Today, the thong was a bit of a surprise. I didn't think DAZ would show that much skin.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

LOL!! Well as two ladies running this thread it is easy to see that the fact Sex does not sale to you, me either. But the hard truth is for most users, remember the forums are only a small sample of users, male 3d Artist will buy Sexy. It is the reason PA's make it. It sales.

edited December 1969

Hey, I have several of 3D Lust's products, etc- I kit bash in addition to layering.
    We'd just like to see more of a variety on any given day. Scatter out shoes and casual wear among the sexy. Sometimes they're very good about doing that. And nothing against sexy, where's the dudes in the G Strings? :)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    LOL!! Well as two ladies running this thread it is easy to see that the fact Sex does not sale to you, me either. But the hard truth is for most users, remember the forums are only a small sample of users, male 3d Artist will buy Sexy. It is the reason PA's make it. It sales.

Heh! =-) The flood of holey dresses is very good for my wallet.

I am however impressed by the creativity. It is pretty hard to come up with some new way to make a short short skirt as brief and sexy as possible. I know if it were I, I could only come up with a few.

But as Novica says, it kind of a saturation situation. Sales of the similar outfit over and over is fatiguing. It would be great to see other outfits or content sold at the same time.

edited December 1969

Well, today's offerings are uninspired IMO. Another mini dress.
    And I am curious about that Neftis Cody Hair. What the heck is up with those gray fuzzed out sideburns? They don't match the hair! Anyone buy it that who has rendered it?

Hmm, it's changed and isn't there, it's back to the old stuff, and I am getting:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined method Mage_Catalog_Model_Resource_Category_Flat_Collection::getAllIdsSql() in /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Resource/Category/Tree.php on line 295

So are you folks seeing the mini dress, textures, Cody Hair, or still the Sugar Shock and Radiance selection?

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Well, today's offerings are uninspired IMO. Another mini dress.
    And I am curious about that Neftis Cody Hair. What the heck is up with those gray fuzzed out sideburns? They don't match the hair! Anyone buy it that who has rendered it?

Hmm, it's changed and isn't there, it's back to the old stuff, and I am getting:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined method Mage_Catalog_Model_Resource_Category_Flat_Collection::getAllIdsSql() in /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Resource/Category/Tree.php on line 295

So are you folks seeing the mini dress, textures, Cody Hair, or still the Sugar Shock and Radiance selection?

I am still seeing yesterday's items, but there is a thread in the commons where some have said it's now working for them, but until its working I am not checking out.

edited April 2014

Hmm, thanks for relaying that news. The new items they put up were a mini dress, the textures, can't remember what else except Cody Hair by Neftis. It's a very short hairstyle with the bangs stiff and sticking up, like flat top style. Looked good except the sideburns weren't crisp, they were fuzzy like the opacity had been turned down to about 70% or less, and were gray with the rest of the hair a brown. (edit, no, the hair is more charcoal)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2014

Did you folks get the email that showed the new items? (See image. Look at sideburns.) EDIT: And my mistake, the hair is more charcoal than brown, so sideburns do match but are much lighter.

Second, how's it going with the Actual Eyes? Figure out what caused the lines?

mm.jpg
    1352 x 1900 - 310K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

I did get the email, that's how the items I wanted got into my cart, and I believe they are giving the discounts, just not the punches?

edited December 1969

I just found that thread you're talking about :) So it's those items in your cart. Wow, I wouldn't check out either.
    I'm sending you a PM, check in a few minutes.

edited December 1969

I saw Neftis Cody hair. I normally buy most men's hair, but To be honest with you I'm not liking the way it looks in the promo art. Those sideburns look kind of painted on, and the main issue I have with the hair, is the strands are too thick.

I tend to not like the way hair renders with those odd thick follicle/hairs like Xanadu and Xavier hair. Doesn't look good to me, plus long rendering times usually.

I'm going to wait to see how other people like it, but I'm passing.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151
    edited December 1969

I saw Neftis Cody hair. I normally buy most men's hair, but To be honest with you I'm not liking the way it looks in the promo art. Those sideburns look kind of painted on, and the main issue I have with the hair, is the strands are too thick.

I tend to not like the way hair renders with those odd thick follicle/hairs like Xanadu and Xavier hair. Doesn't look good to me, plus long rendering times usually.

I'm going to wait to see how other people like it, but I'm passing.

I'm passing on that hair, too, even though I desperately desire new short men's hair for G2F. Sadly, at this point in time, I've quit buying Netfis fibermesh hair, for the reasons you have discussed. It also renders very slowly. Not only are the sideburns mismatched to the hair in color and luminosity, they don't fit against the head either, as shown in one of the promo images. So, I'll wait for something I like better to come along.
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Did you folks get the email that showed the new items? (See image. Look at sideburns.) EDIT: And my mistake, the hair is more charcoal than brown, so sideburns do match but are much lighter.

Second, how's it going with the Actual Eyes? Figure out what caused the lines?

I submitted a bug report on the Actual Eyes 4. So far I've only gotten the first "Request Received" response. I'm quite sure the problem is the Tear surface. You can apply a different shader to the tear surface, like the DAZ default shader, that has an opacity channel. Then set Opacity to 0 and the lines go away.
    edited December 1969

Have any of you purchased and used Look At My Hair? I'm tempted while it is still available on sale, but I fear the learning curve and wonder if I would ever become proficient at it. I also wonder it the results are better than the Netfis fibermesh hair or not. Are the strands real fat like that? Does it render painfully slowly? Do you have fun with it?

edited December 1969

The Look At My Hair full version was not the one I used to do the big cat- I think I did the lionness. So I can't answer about the full version, but the learning curve was fine and I am very leery about tackling anything technical. (Aka, I still haven't used any Generation X yet.) I think they made even more improvements. One thing about LAMH is that the vendor is active on the forums and answering any questions VERY quickly and so many people have it, help is almost instant. :)

edited December 1969

I tried LAMH I believe a while ago. While I don't mind buying content with predone hair, especially animals or creatures like RawArt makes. I didn't find myself taking to making hair for figures. I tried for a few days to make something I liked but decided against it.

I don't like hair to look grassy or overly articulated.

I tried some of the freebie presets and it just didn't hair up the way I want. I wanted a realistic looking Mil cat, and dog and I found my results looked like weird mange.

you can add more hair density, subtract density to make a different look.

it is possible things have gotten better, I just wasn't fully enamored and my time with 3d is short enough, that I have to gauge the things I'm going to put energy into.

I think the challenge to doing realistic hair, is to make a few hairs articulated, but to emulate a sleek coat or sleek fur, some hair needs to be more solid mass.

edited April 2014

barbult said:
    I submitted a bug report on the Actual Eyes 4. So far I've only gotten the first "Request Received" response. I'm quite sure the problem is the Tear surface. You can apply a different shader to the tear surface, like the DAZ default shader, that has an opacity channel. Then set Opacity to 0 and the lines go away.

I'm glad to hear it. I've submitted a couple content reports, and never gotten them solved. I admit, I am not highly confident in this process. My ticket for Coalition Katana with the boot thread was never addressed.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

They fixed the Punchy thing too... I got my punch for the new items. I had to do the Kill the DAZ Front end Cookie thing before the store started working properly. Remember folks DAZ 3D has said the Cookie thing is a known issue and users may/will need to do cookie clean up from time to time.

They have just mentioned the update for that one, Coalition Katana, I think it has been fixed.

Post edited by Jaderail on
This discussion has been closed.