Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• Stezza said:

Windows 10 Pro

AMD FX 8120 Eight-Core  3.10 Ghz Processor

16 GB Ram

64 Bit System/Processor

NVIDIA GeFore GT620 Graphic Card

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

PC cool

next did you add any Carrara plugins?

do you have any graphics tablets plugged into your system?

is your graphics drivers up to date?

did you instal Carrara into the My Programs folder on the OS drive?

others may have other ideas but that's a start. 

• Stezza said:

PC cool

next did you add any Carrara plugins?

do you have any graphics tablets plugged into your system?

is your graphics drivers up to date?

did you instal Carrara into the My Programs folder on the OS drive?

others may have other ideas but that's a start. 

Thanks for responding so fast!

Yes.  I have a clean system.  Just reload a "Fresh Start" image yesterday. I do have an older version of Carrara on the system still.  8.0 64bit.

I attempted to update my video driver but it caused major problems.  I heard on some instruction videos that it was happening to them and did not mention how they fixed it.

download the latest nVidia drivers for your system..

uninstall previous nvidia drivers, you may need to do this in safe mode

reboot and install the latest driver set you downloaded and cross your fingers wink

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

are a number of possibilities 

if you have a tablet some drivers crash it

something in extensions wrong version (unlikely unless you added some plugins yourself)

on Macintosh Catalina (but that affects file operations rather than crash it)

an overzealous Antivirus software 

loading Genesis 3 & 8 straight from your DAZ library (need Misty's fixed characters or much notepad editing of a base character  converted to general weights removing typos)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited June 2020

SCAWEM

Sudden Crash Absent Warning or Error Message

I've been having an increase in the number of SCAWEM.  The problem scenes have been replicated seas under a realistic sky.  The sudden crashes have occurred when rendering in the Render room or when doing a spot render in the Assemble room.  No error message or warning.  Just an abrupt closing of Carrara.  I don't know if it is something about the renders, the scenes, Carrara, Windows 10, or NVidia driver

Scene includes

- Realistic Sky in scene tab

- light is from a Sunlight

- Skylight and light through transparency are enabled in render room

- replicator (not surface) set to grid and seamless checked

- intent is to have rough ocean so object being replicated has been... 

------ terrain with water shaders applied

------ ocean object with default shader applied

------ PhilW's sea object purchased in Daz store

Post edited by Diomede on

sometimes ( not always ) I install the nVidia drivers from nVidia but then I need to uninstall those drivers completely  ( downloaded from nVidia ) and then reboot and use MS nVidia drivers to reclame Carrara, it seems that the MS Windows10 driver is the prefered version for Carrara for me.

I am currently using the Windows10 version of nVidia driver and have been for many months now.

now that is real wacky stuff! 

odd

I recently did an actual Carrara render not Octane with a replicated ocean under a realistic sky with replicated volumetric clouds and no crashes.

So trying to guess what could be causing yours on your considerably better PC than mine surprise

mind you I don't enable caustics and those fancy settings 

odd

I recently did an actual Carrara render not Octane with a replicated ocean under a realistic sky with replicated volumetric clouds and no crashes.

So trying to guess what could be causing yours on your considerably better PC than mine surprise

mind you I don't enable caustics and those fancy settings 

Stezza said:

sometimes ( not always ) I install the nVidia drivers from nVidia but then I need to uninstall those drivers completely  ( downloaded from nVidia ) and then reboot and use MS nVidia drivers to reclame Carrara, it seems that the MS Windows10 driver is the prefered version for Carrara for me.

I am currently using the Windows10 version of nVidia driver and have been for many months now.

now that is real wacky stuff! 

The fact that it is happening in the rendering process and not in loading or manipulating objects leads me to believe that it is probably a driver issue.

edited June 2020

when I have had my bath will post the file

that way can see if it also crashes 

it was this one using your trees

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5703801/#Comment_5703801

the textures in the terrain layers were all 8K ones from Texture Haven so you will need to add them yourself 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I've been loading and rendering random things from my Daz3D, Poser, and personal folders.  Everything seems to work OK now.

I then started a new scene, replicated an ocean, inserted a sunlight, loaded a realistic sky preset, enabled sky light, and rendered. 

No crash!

test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 47K

I only use a distant light and not skylight so don't know if that helps

zip
    zip
    Diomede tree island.zip
    3M
    edited June 2020

Thanks, Wendy.  I'll download and give your file a try after I finish my current tests.  I am trying to reconstruct the shaders and sky I used for the scene that crashed.

Unfortunately, I did not save the water shader I mixed together before the crashes.  So far, not repeat of the crashes.

Getting close

test 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 32K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Thanks yet again, Wendy.  I tried the file you posted.  I was missing some of Artini's shaders, but the scene loaded and rendered fine.  

wendy artini island render.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 295K
    Diomede said:

Thanks yet again, Wendy.  I tried the file you posted.  I was missing some of Artini's shaders, but the scene loaded and rendered fine.  

only used Artini's heightmap and that worked by looks as in Carrara terrain

so glad not a consistent issue with Carrara just your specific scenes 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660
    Diomede said:

Glad it's working for you, hope those bugs stay away !!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

I just found another video I rendered in Carrara 8 years ago

That's awesome, Wendy!!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    Mystiarra said:
    Mystarra said:

did this set animated convert over smoothly  https://www.daz3d.com/walks-animation-collection-michael-8  ??

the skipping looks funny, is like deadpool skipping laugh

I don't own that one

They not aniblocks.  is duf files.  should be better than aniblocks.  hopefully don't need a bake step.

Really? I tend to like aniBlocks better than duf. I guess we all have our ways, eh? ;)

edited June 2020

Rococerous needs to be converted to blended weight - https://www.daz3d.com/rococerous-hd-original-creature

Rococerous bw 1.png
    2260 x 1031 - 403K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited June 2020

Korvath HD for Genesis 8 Male - https://www.daz3d.com/korvath-hd-for-genesis-8-male

First of all it needs Misty's G8M Carrara preset. Next Korvath has a custom UV.

Load Misty's preset in DAZ Studio, then apply the Korvath character to it. Once loaded save the Korvath/Misty G8M as a character preset. Open that saved preset in Carrara.

Korvath Horns and Teeth need to be converted to Blended Weight in DAZ Studio.

Korvath Carrara 1.png
    2256 x 1031 - 509K
    edited June 2020

Carrara has reset it's preferences AGAIN for me crying

this is infuriating

edited June 2020

my win7 now is stuffed too since the intel graphics update yesterday 

the UI just freezes 

will be rolling that one back when I can or after I kill my frozen hair sim scene in taskmanager 

giving it some time to respond but not looking good

its definitely that update as it was actually superior to my Win10 with the 980ti for openGL driven stuff like hair sims, D|S dforce etc previously

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

not sure how to get this into carrara https://www.daz3d.com/the-base-camp-part-1 

any clues welcome :)

edited June 2020
    Headwax said:

not sure how to get this into carrara https://www.daz3d.com/the-base-camp-part-1 

Could not find any built up scene files with it, so was loading individual items and building up a scene with them

Base Camp 1.png
    3830 x 1031 - 1M
    edited June 2020

Carrara has reset it's preferences AGAIN for me crying

this is infuriating

Wendy, hope your Carrara troubles resolve themselves for you, sounds like it's a PITA at the moment !

I might need to check where that preferences text file is and make a backup enlightened

that set Headwax is all bits no complete scene, I bought it years ago when it was new and it irked me

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

I might need to check where that preferences text file is and make a backup enlightened

that set Headwax is all bits no complete scene, I bought it years ago when it was new and it irked me

backup your backup!

yeh the renders on the product page dont say you need to do it all by hand

Bunyip02 said:
    Headwax said:

Could not find any built up scene files with it, so was loading individual items and building up a scene with them

thanks -

playing round with daz studio i found you could multiselect props and drop them in en masse 

had a go at opening in carrara last night a saved duf scene but got the old cant find dsf file ???? error - 

just exported this whole scene from daz studio as collada - finally opened in carrara - saved at about the same size as the collda file

but when I opened the collada file in posr and saved it as pz3 file it was 2.3rds the size of the collada file(192,000kb)

still waiting for carrara to open the pz3 file though..... interested in how big it will be when I resave the poser version as  car file

now trying 

Misty gave a solution for missing psd files but I cannot find it now

I am running batch convert on my textures using Elements and will add those and hoping that will fix it

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited July 2020

the product says

Each part includes a fully-built base camp of grouped items 

says 

You can find new icons for this product in the following DAZ Studio Categories:

• “Materials:Architecture”

• “Materials:Props”

• “Props:Architecture”

• “Props:Landscape”

not seeing this breakdown in the file list

mebbe files missing from installer? 

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/20364/file_list

Post edited by Mistara on

yeah I never found those grouped props in DAZ studio either