mine did that back in 2010 on C6 on my crappy Dell Vista laptop

and it happened recently too after an update

changing the number of viewports can fix it

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

thats usually graphics card related

mine did that back in 2010 on C6 on my crappy Dell Vista laptop

and it happened recently too after an update

changing the number of viewports can fix it

thank you Wendy.  My NVIDIA control panel is not responding at all.  

graphics card problem 2.jpg
    1707 x 977 - 220K
    edited April 2020

This is what I get when I try to update my driver

graphics card problem 5.jpg
    589 x 435 - 46K
    Post edited by Diomede on

It says the USBC driver installed, the graphics driver installed, and the HD Audio driver installed.  However, the NVIDIA GeForce Experience and NVIDIA NodeJS did not install.  My NVIDIA control panel appears again.  Does it matter about the Experience thing failing to install as long as the graphics and audio drivers install?

• Is there any news about any updates or patches for Carrara 8.5? I am still on this version "Carrara_8.5.1.19_Win64.exe".
    Haven't been around much as the last two years had been kinda busy and stressy. (Moved country twice due to job and family reasons).

I didn't play with Carara a long while and now I am back to it, trying to create some 3D Avatar for my DnD character... and oh boy, Carrara keeps crashing out a lot when I load or fit stuff to my character.
    I reinstalled it,but I guess the software is getting really old now :-( and nope, still not gonna switch Poser or Daz Studio... I simply despise the UI...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784

check if any additional extensions causing crashes first

also in preferences you might need to choose either openGL or software  depending on which one you have if one not working and scratch disc size, this can vary between computers

legacy content shouldn't be causing many issues, you might need to run the bat files for the deltas too if new installs of M4 V4 etc

• Thank you, I will check for those trhings. 
    I am still using my same old  NVidea (Ti) card from 2016. Maybe it's one of the old addons I used (Anything Grooves & Anything Grows)

edited April 2020

I can only guess myself but there are some addons/plugins that cause me grief and also some were updated,

the Digital Carvers Guild ones are now open source BTW

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/266831/digital-carvers-guild-going-open-source/p1

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Ohh I didn't know about that. Thank you :3
    I love their addons/plugins.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2020

are they working on 8.6 yet?

need the general working.  and the anatomicsl pro geografts

and recompile it for windows 10 and the Mac OS

Post edited by Mistara on

my old Maya 5 had a brush to paint crystals.  the brush created the geometry.

would be kewl for Carrara X

guess would be a particcle emitter that could move around via a brush tool ??

and feature request,  wish the plane would accept a hdri image.  or cube.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,509
    Diomede said:

This is what I get when I try to update my driver

Concern about this is why I did not try to update my driver! My hardware is older, and that can wait 'til I upgrade my computer.

try this link instead of using Gforce experience

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

and do a clean install

is radeon more trouble free than nvidia

just seems nvidia drivers make a lot of people unhappy

Mystiarra said:

The problem for some applications (especially here on Daz) is that Iray requires nvidia. I've had radeon cards in the past and they've been fine. I could be wrong, but I doubt there would be a problem running Carrara on a current radeon card.

Torquinox said:
    Mystiarra said:

The problem for some applications (especially here on Daz) is that Iray requires nvidia. I've had radeon cards in the past and they've been fine. I could be wrong, but I doubt there would be a problem running Carrara on a current radeon card.

was gonna say, lets not borrow iray troubles.

would worry if ever had a Vray for carrara.

well I had a crummy intel openGL update I had to roll back on my PC without a graphics card devil

that broke Dforce!

it works now and of course have to use 3Delight there!

is just intel no Nvidia or Radeon laugh

Carrara renders fine on it

well I had a crummy intel openGL update I had to roll back on my PC without a graphics card devil

that broke Dforce!

it works now and of course have to use 3Delight there!

is just intel no Nvidia or Radeon laugh

Carrara renders fine on it

As Wendy points out, that's a big advantage of older software, an advantage of software not tied to specific hardware. Technology is a treadmill. As processors and GPUs become more powerful, the software developers expand their requirements to fill the gap. Older software is designed to run on less powerful hardware, and when you run that software on more powerful hardware, it runs like nobody's business! I've seen that many times. I suppose maybe Bryce is an exception. Bryce render time seems to be a consistent complaint. But for Carrara, it's good news. The problem will be for Mac customers, because Apple is moving away from OpenGL. I hope that doesn't happen on the PC side. I don't think it will, but that remains to be seen.

If we get a new build of Carrara, it's a safe bet that it will have much greater hardware requirements, and I would expect it to have Iray as a render choice because of Daz3D's commitment there. I'd like it to also have ProRender for ATI cards; but right now, we're not even getting a Carrara update. Maybe someday.

is it possible to bring carrara and poser back together?

prolly more feasuble than bringing carrara and daz content back together, she mutters

edited June 2020

nm

do simulation calculations use all the cores?

can the developers do something to speed up light calculations a bit?

oh mann  August 2013

close to the 7 year anniversary of **Update - 8.5.1.19**

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619
    edited July 2020
    Mystiarra said:

oh mann  August 2013

close to the 7 year anniversary of **Update - 8.5.1.19**

And unfortunately for me, Carrara is incompatible with the drivers for an old "Adesso" made tablet, and apparently similar to HUION pen tablets that the developers are already aware of, so Carrara is totally kapult for me. The people at Adesso don't have anything that can help me scrub their driver out of my machine, either. And rolling my machine back to where it was before I plugged the tablet in isn't an option, either.

No indication that the Carrara developers will be trotting out 9.0 anytime soon, or even if an attempt to fix the problem with tablets is even going to be attempted.

The only way for me to use Carrara at this point is to get another computer and keep that damned tablet FAR AWAY from it!!

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • UncleZeeUncleZee Posts: 20

When I/m batch rendering animations that have sequenced JPG shaders I randomly get asked what the frame rate should be. This info is already set in the project. Doesn't happen on all my files. It's a pain as I cant just leave the rendering to happen overnight.  Does anybody know of anything/settings that could cause this?

it sometimes depends where your image series are stored as Carrara is pretty dumb and looks in the folder it has visited the most in the past

if it goes elsewhere it forgets the framerate

putting everything in the same folder might help

I gave up on batch rendering long ago as my crap scattered over several drives

• I haven't read through every post in this thread so apologies if this error has been mentioned before. The problem is that Carrara 8.5 Pro on a Mac cannot import or export FBX files. Attempting to do so brings up an error message saying "FBX DLL failed to load!". Which means that there must a be a mistake made somewhere in the code when the Windows version was being ported to Mac. Normally Mac wouldn't have anything to do with DLL files because those are part of Microsoft Windows. I bought 8.5 Pro a few years ago and, at the time, I didn't worry too much about this glitch because I assumed it would quickly be fixed. Oh well, I still like Carrara for lots of reasons but this particular glitch is irritating.

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited August 2020

Speculativism,

I believe FBX export/import does work on a Mac. I haven't tried it in a while. The attached screen shot shows fbx.dll file in  the Carrara extensions. If I remember correctly, there was an issue with the FBX extension with the latest version of Carrara. The fix is to use an old one. I think I've seen that you can get it from tech support if you request it. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 9.33.39 AM.png
    534 x 417 - 136K
    Post edited by BrianP21361 on
    edited August 2020

you need to contact DAZ customer suport

they omitted the FBX extension on Mac apparently in Carrara 8.5 you just have a zero file

hopefully they will still send you the file as obviously fixing it was never a priority