Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited December 2019

- Use the polygon tool (glows yellow when selected - see top menus) and left click in the right side box to draw points outlining a flat pattern around figure's hips and legs.

- Use the editor tool (glows a little) and right click on the center line.  Choose symmetrical or symmetrical with sewing depending on what doing.  I chose symmetical with sewing.  Mirror appears.

- Use the segment sewing tool (2nd little sewing machine icon glows a little) and left click an edge and a matching edge that should be sewn together. 

- Caution - When you select an edge there is an upper half and a lower half denoted by a perpendicular icon when you hover your cursor over the edge.  When clicking matching edges, make sure you click matching upper and upper - or lower and lower - on your chosen segments. 

- If you forget, and the sewing is crossed and screwy, don't panic.  Go to the editor icon, right click on the segment, and reverse the sewing.

aa05 use polygon tool to make right side of pants.jpg
    1550 x 958 - 132K
    aa06 sewing editor right click symmetrical with sewing.jpg
    1218 x 934 - 107K
    aa07 sewing second icon click lines match upper and upper or lower and lower.jpg
    1344 x 937 - 112K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2019

- To get back panels, use the editor icon again, select both front panels, copy and paste (control C and Control V, or use the top menu for copy and paste).

- The new panels will be on top of the old.  Hold the shift key and translate them to the right or left of the panels box (right side), just so can see them.  Doesn't affect the left side.  Can slide matching panel to other side if desired (back right with front right and back left with front left).

- In the avatar box (left) right click in the empty area and choose a directional camera (right or left).  Still using the editor tool, select the back panels and the manipulation tools will appear (translate/rotate).  Pull the back panels behind the avatar.

- Problem - the back panels are inside out (normals face the wrong way).  Solution - right click on each back panel and reverse (flip) the normals.

- Use sewing tools to select matching front and back segments and sew them together.  Remember how to match, and how to correct.  Don't close off the holes for the torso or legs.

aa08 select all copy and paste.jpg
    1432 x 932 - 137K
    aa09 select tool select copies directional camera translate to back.jpg
    1360 x 789 - 98K
    aa10 select back panels right click menu flip normals each side.jpg
    1381 x 922 - 148K
    aa11 second sewing icon select matching sewed edges.jpg
    1479 x 872 - 141K
    edited December 2019

Drape!

- The downward arrow in the upper left of the interface is the simulation button.  Click it, or use the space bar, to start the simulation.

- MD does its magic, sewing the pattern together around the avatar, shrink wrapping, and draping.

- I've made these pants very tight, and the crotch droops too much.  Not going to worry about it right now.  These screenshots are just demonstrating the workflow.

- Leon has some simple pants.

aa12 simulate button.jpg
    1491 x 889 - 139K
    edited December 2019

Retopology

MD uses a triangled mesh by default.  The current version (I am using version 9) has some basic retopology tools.

- use the retopology tools (looks like a square grid) to left click and place points on the flat patterns on the right side.

- to connect points, click each in turn.  

- it turns blue when you cover an area with four connected points.

- after you have covered everything with quads, right click on the pants in the avatar room to bring up the menu.

- I chose quadrangle.  

- Use the tab for mesh display (display tools running down left side of interface) to see the wirframe view.

- The pants now have quads instead of triangles.

- In the properties tray (right side lower menu), can adjust the mesh density by changing particle distance.  I lowered from 20 to 10.

aa13 retopology grid click to place vertexes click vertex and next to create lines.jpg
    1667 x 843 - 171K
    aa14 quadrangulate.jpg
    1800 x 983 - 240K
    aa15 now mesh is quads.jpg
    1896 x 878 - 192K
    aa16 particle distance from 20 to 10.jpg
    1893 x 975 - 245K
    edited December 2019

Exporting and UVMapping

- Use file export.  There is a Daz Studio preset.  I also chose weld and thin.  I only exported the pants, not the avatar.  There is an option to export both the avatar and the cloth.

- If desired, can load the model in another program for uvmapping.  The panel edges are preserved in the retopology process, making it easy to find useful seams, if desired.

aa17 export make sure weld thin daz.jpg
    1888 x 997 - 274K
    aa18 uvmap.jpg
    612 x 482 - 83K
    edited December 2019

Importing to Daz Studio

- if you have used the Daz Studio obj presets all along, you should be able to import the pants easily using the same preset.

- The simple pants fit Leon in Daz Studio.

- The pants are ready for all your transfer utility / weightmapping / JCM joys.

aa19 import dialogue for daz studio have daz file selected.jpg
    1875 x 967 - 223K
    aa20 pants appear in Daz Studio.jpg
    1869 x 927 - 195K
    edited January 2020

Ghostlights for Indoor Scene Tests

Posting some very crude proof of concept tests.  Modeled a lamp.  Made a companion mesh for the lampshade.  Test is related to using the second shade mesh as a ghostlight.

Lamp and Shade OBJs attached in a zip file.  Lamp and shades are untextured.  

Lamp model

Mesh for ghostlight shade 1

Mesh for ghostlight shade 2

Test 1 - Simple enclosed scene.  No ghostlight.  Single point light placed inside lamp model inside shade.

Test 2 - Same scene.  Mesh lampshade ghostlight placed outside lamp model around shade.  No single point light for bulb inside.

Test 3 - Same scene.  Mesh lampshade with both a single point light inside shade and a mesh lampshade ghostlight outside shade.

zip
    zip
    Lamp Test Diomede OBJs.zip
    lamp model.jpg
    732 x 786 - 72K
    ghostlight model 1.jpg
    912 x 815 - 68K
    ghostlight model 2.jpg
    748 x 706 - 55K
    test bulb light.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    test lampshade ghostlight and bulb.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    test lampshade ghostlight.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    edited January 2020

I am attaching a version of the test scene.  See zip.  I deleted any object with shaders and replaced with an object with a base shader.  The lamp and ghost lampshade are simple obj imports.  Free for any use but don't redistribute the mesh.

I would be grateful for any feedback and help on emissive settings and other parameters.

zip
    zip
    lampshade and primitives test scene replace objects with base shaders.zip
    test lampshade ghostlight and bulb replace shaders.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    edited January 2020

Here I've changed the color of the lamp shade (not the of the ghostlight mesh that surrounds the lampshade).  Also point light inside shade. 

test lampshade ghostlight and point light change lampshade color.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Very cool stuff Diomede!!! 

Back to the Beginning!

Will be starting another tutorial-per-day for April, because, well, the virus thing.  Am going to start with several introductory Daz Studio or case study Daz Studio tutorials.  As someone used to another program, I've had a lot of trouble getting used to very simple things, in part because I don't use Studio enough to get used to where things are.

edited April 2020

Daz Studio Foundations and Essentials

by Esha and Digital Art Live.

This morning, I watched the first half of this introductory webinar.  You might look at my post count and think, "why is he doing an intro Studio course"?  Wow, I am so glad I got this.  Coming from another program, I just could never find things in the Daz Studio interface.  Funny, because it is created to be so user friendly.  But for simple things I'd be looking in the edit tab and they'd turn out to be in the create tab.  I'd be using a rotate tool to bend limbs, getting frustrated when the tool would hop off to select another bone, unaware of all the different options for posing.

Esha does a great job, as always in this first half of the course.  Very well organized.  Starts with installation, which wasn't an issue for me.  She goes into the layout options, how to save a custom layout, and how to transfer a custom layout if you change computers.  She explains nodes, groups, and nulls.  This might all seem too simple for experienced Studio users, but there was definitely some useful things in there for me.  She then creates a sample scene and walks through some common issues (as I said, several of the various posing options were news to me).  She discusses some basic camera information (eg. depth of field).  Well done.  Will report back when I finish the second half and do a test scene.

foundations and essentials.jpg
    1109 x 936 - 205K
    tutorial digital art live foundations and essentials groups and duplicate.jpg
    1510 x 803 - 156K
    tutorial digital art live foundations and essentials depth of field.jpg
    1483 x 975 - 196K
  • I should do the tutorials I own too. I didn't finish some of them and didn't even begin the others sad.

When I switched from Carrara to Daz Studio I had some troubles too. Took me some time to use Daz Studio more than Carrara. Iray was a game changer for me ;  until then I would keep doing "serious" renders in Carrara! Lighting in 3Delight was my main problem.

edited April 2020

Thanks for the comment, @xmasrose.  Iray wasn't a big draw for me for two reasons.  First, I generally preferred stylized renders (claymation) to photoreal.  Second, my machine wasn't up to it.  Since then, I've replaced my machine and gotten more serious about modeling.  Hope to do more Iray and see what the fuss is about.  Will be asking you for tips, I'm sure.

I finished the second part of Esha's Foundation tutorial with DAL.  Very glad I did this.  As one would expect, there are quite a few functions of Studio I just didn't know existed.  I started a tutorial by Val Cameron of Dreamlight but I'm not finished it yet.  Vicky and a monster.

https://www.daz3d.com/vicky-7-and-monsters-video-tutorial

v7 and monsters.jpg
    662 x 898 - 194K
    edited April 2020

Awful test render of a dress and wrap I modeled for G8F.  Needs textures.  Just the headlamp from  the perspective view.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/400551/free-dress-long-dforce-skirt-and-dforce-shoulder-wrap-untextured#latest

test render color dress.jpg
    600 x 800 - 105K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

very nice heart

edited January 2021

sample science article

business insider lies.jpg
    909 x 175 - 40K
    edited May 2020

Geoshells - First Test - A Superheroine or Superspy Suit

Looks like a great tool, but I have no experience with it.  Here, I tested creating an opacity map for the torso material zone to exclude the head and neck.  I used Carrara to paint an opacity cutout directly on a G8F dummy.  Could do it in an image editor, but then it can be difficult to see how it lines up with the model.  Here are the steps.

- You can use any program that allows painting on models.  In Carrara, I loaded the free G8F-for-Carrara character that Misty very generously offers for free at that other site that rhymes with monstrosity.

- I chose the actor level and clicked the 3D paint tool in upper left corner.  Carrara gave me a warning and thats OK.  Carrara opens up the 3D paint menu tab where the shader channels and maps are.  No map yet.

- I clicked the triangle next to color to open it up and then clicked the magic wand icon to create a new map

- Another warning, shader will be changed and thats OK

- Can choose one material zone or all, for this it is nest to just choose the torso because that is the only zone I want to change in Studio.  Doesn't matter for this example, but good news, can paint across eams in Carrara.

- Choose a name and file location.  Note default is tof format.  Found best to accept that uncompressed then change format to jpg in image editor later

- Settings check.  Use uncompressed.

aa01 load mistys g8f character in daz studio and seelct actor level the 3d paint tool is upper left menu.jpg
    1887 x 1013 - 305K
    aa02 warning no active textures.jpg
    1914 x 927 - 189K
    aa03 open triangle by color channel even though not really doing color says no textures will need to click magic wand to get a texture.jpg
    634 x 888 - 71K
    aa04 shader will be changed OK but make absolutely sure not painting over actual maps.jpg
    761 x 867 - 82K
    aa05 choose which texture maps to affect and default color i choose just torso and white as default then paint black for cutout opacity.jpg
    1220 x 860 - 140K
    aa06 name file and location and file type.jpg
    1345 x 872 - 139K
    aa07 turn compression off.jpg
    1092 x 854 - 106K

Now for some actual painting

- select the tool tab at the top of the properties menu (upper right)

- turn on symmetry and set to X  (unless you dont want symmetry)

- choose brush color, in this case black 000 because creating an opacity map to hide part of the torso of the geoshell

- reduce the size of the brush to taste, but I set down to 03

- set the hardness/softness of the brush, I set to zero for a hard edge

- paint the torso material zone black on the back of the head and the neck

aa08 tool tab set color to black 000 symmetry on X reduce size of brush set smoothing to zero.jpg
    1294 x 882 - 132K
    aa09 painted head and neck parts of torso map black rest is white.jpg
    1757 x 889 - 172K
    edited May 2020

Save and Adjust

- save by return to tab for color area and the map

- right click on the map on the right side of the color channel

- save the tif file

- for optional adjustments, can load in image editor.  useful for making sure the seams really meet or other adjustments to taste

- I saved the tif file out of the image editor as a jpg with new name - not sure if necessary

aa10 back under textures tab right click map and save as or save.jpg
    1203 x 616 - 83K
    aa11 can double check in image editor to make sure lines up or fix other details.jpg
    863 x 786 - 45K
    aa12 save as a jpg.jpg
    512 x 107 - 12K

In Studio - load the painted maps in the opacity strength tab of the geoshell

- started up Studio and loaded a default G8F

- used the creat menu to create new geoshell for G8F, accepted the defaults

- In the surfaces pane, set the diffuse to blue for the arms, legs, and torso and nails areas (set to Iray uber but may already have been)

- Set opacity strength to 100 for arms, legs, and torso and nails

- Note that the back of the head and neck are also blue, but I don't want that

- For torso material zone, click the opacity strength and load the saved map created earlier.  See the head and neck adjust as per painted map.

- Correct other Geoshell areas - the geoshell opacity strength should be 0 for the face, mouth, etc. that you want to retain the figure's maps.

aa13 in daz studio loaded g8f default.jpg
    1682 x 953 - 204K
    aa14 create geometry shell for g8f.jpg
    1682 x 962 - 212K
    aa15 geometry shell menu.jpg
    1242 x 860 - 136K
    aa16 set diffuse color to blue and opacity strnegth to 100 for torso legs arms nails but see problem on head.jpg
    1180 x 857 - 146K
    aa17 load saved map to torso and see head and neck change.jpg
    1207 x 998 - 179K
    aa18 change opacity strength to zero for face and anything else want excluded.jpg
    1187 x 977 - 170K

Other adjustments to taste and a test render

- just for fun, I loaded a map to the bump channel for the arms, legs, and torso of the geoshell

- I loaded some heair and applied a pose and did a test render with G8F default and default lighting

aa19 loaded a bump map to legs arms torso.jpg
    1188 x 907 - 176K
    aa00b test render geoshell supersuit posed 3.jpg
    1700 x 2000 - 493K
    edited May 2020

Test render of Delilah character with one of the leather shader presets

test render with leather shader.jpg
    1700 x 2000 - 291K

Marvelous Designer Resources

If you have an interest in using Marvelous Designer to make clothes for Daz3D figures, I highly recommend youtube tutorials by Lori Griffiths.  She has a sewing background.  She improved my understanding of how pattern shapes (blocks) on the right side of MD translated into garments wrapped on the avatar on the left side of MD.  Very clear discussion.

I've added a Marvelous Designer section to the link list on the 1st page of this thread.  The link list includes several authors.  This one by Lori is the best explanation of how sewing concepts translate to MD clothing models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLJNsrzqu2s

edited May 2020

Ultra Scenery by Howie Farkes

Early experiments - This is my 3rd scene build with Howie Farkes Ultra Scenery.

Ignore the lighting and be impressed with the landscape.  Howie has a real winner.

aa000b test render of figure in landscape dome only in render settings.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M

Ultrascenery can use custom heightmaps.  

Here is a workflow with a custom heightmap.  

- I created the following in another program and saved as a jpg file.

-I started Daz Studio and checked the render settings to make sure instances optimization was set to memory, not speed.

- Under the script IDE tab, I used File Open and navigated to the ultra scenery script.  DIM placed mine in the Environments Landscapes Ultrascenery folder

- The Scrpit screen says it is encrypted - No big deal, just hit execute

- Ultra Scenery menu comes up

- Under heightmap tab use the browse button and load the map

aa04 exported heightmap.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 33K
    aa05 start daz studio and in rendering tab set optimization for instances to memory.jpg
    1642 x 932 - 183K
    aa06 script IDE tab file open and find the ultra scenery script in the environments landscapes ultrascenery content folder.jpg
    867 x 644 - 85K
    aa07 says encrypted thats OK so hit execute.jpg
    1331 x 482 - 61K
    aa08 ultrascenery menu comes up.jpg
    1081 x 781 - 99K
    aa09 under heightmap tab use browse and load the saved map.jpg
    906 x 770 - 83K

Once the heightmap is loaded, time to choose the other environment components and build the scenery

- features tab, have choice of none, road, river, and pond

- ecology tab, pick various grasslands or woodlands

- when it comes to build the scenery, you can uncheck some scene elements to exclude dandelions from a grassland, for example

- when it comes to build the scenery, there is an option to limit the build to only what the camera sees.  Note that if you choose this you must choose between moving the camera and rebuilding scenery

- click build and wait, depending on your system and choices it may take a while for all of the incances to be created and placed. 

- when it is finished building the white screen remained but there was a message at the bottom summarizing how long it took, etc.

- return to Viewport tab - in my case it appears like nothing but worry not, because of my custom heightmap the 0,0,0 was above my camera.

- raised my camera vertically and added an HDRI sky

- adjust render settings - remember to make sure that instances optimization is set to memory, not speed

- add whatever details you want, and happy rendering  

aa10 features tab choose none path river or pond.jpg
    1189 x 851 - 153K
    aa11 ecology grassland woodland.jpg
    1058 x 841 - 142K
    aa12 build can check for plant elements and water and whether to restrict items to camera view.jpg
    1128 x 772 - 113K
    aa13 build may take a while.jpg
    1540 x 848 - 118K
    aa14 see message at bottom that says executed in so many seconds.jpg
    1443 x 907 - 95K
    aa15 when go to Viewport View may be too big and not see it zoom your camera out.jpg
    1677 x 1017 - 225K
    aa16 hdri sky and render.jpg
    1494 x 977 - 259K
    edited May 2020

UltraScatter Pro by Howie Farkes - Holy Moly!

Exploring UltraScatter Pro was my self-imposed goal for this year.  Can't believe I waited until May to dive in.  This is so awesome.  I will do a terrain set walk through in the next couple of days.  Meanwhile, here is my first experiment.  I tried to create a custom terrain and limit the scatter to just the lower slopes.

I purchased ZBrush.  I may post some WIPs and similar trials in the coming weeks.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

hope you pick it up quicker than I did blush

and I am just so angry right now I could explode angry I watch Reddit post videos on Youtube often and just saw one about something absolutely horrible I won't even share

(just a person reading posts about it on Reddit not the videos)

stuff that is monstrous animal cruelty YouTube doesn't take down

I immediately thought of you with your Carrara tutorials and their crappy misguided  moderation crying