Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

For those of you using DAZ Studio as a plug in. If your scenes have instances and you want to bring them into Carrara the follwoing script will be benificial as it turns the instances to objects.

https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

For those of you using DAZ Studio as a plug in. If your scenes have instances and you want to bring them into Carrara the follwoing script will be benificial as it turns the instances to objects.

https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects

bookmark !

my click finger hovering on bryce  https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-grand-mountains

i know we can export hdri, is terrain exportable?

sadly, there no more howie left to accumulate

rules of aquisition, ferengi weeping

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    Mystarra said:

my click finger hovering on bryce  https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-grand-mountains

i know we can export hdri, is terrain exportable?

sadly, there no more howie left to accumulate

rules of aquisition, ferengi weeping

Tutorial on exporting terrains - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4499046/#Comment_4499046

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,025

Posted here for more relevant exposure.

Going through runtimes and content folders looking for more stuff to render.  Have discovered that for some reason sets by Jack Tomlin are giving me all sorts of missing dsf file errors.  They were installed by DIM.  Other sets installed in the same way by other PAs don't seem to have the problem thus far.  Any similar issue for anyone else?

For example, the JT product Hallowed Eve has a building, land surface, and plants.  https://www.daz3d.com/hallowed-eve

I get errors trying to load the building, whether I try Iray or 3D Delight.  However, the ivy plant prop loads OK.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    Diomede said:

Going through runtimes and content folders looking for more stuff to render.  Have discovered that for some reason sets by Jack Tomlin are giving me all sorts of missing dsf file errors.  They were installed by DIM.  Other sets installed in the same way by other PAs don't seem to have the problem thus far.  Any similar issue for anyone else?

For example, the JT product Hallowed Eve has a building, land surface, and plants.  https://www.daz3d.com/hallowed-eve

I get errors trying to load the building, whether I try Iray or 3D Delight.  However, the ivy plant prop loads OK.

if they have Poser formats I use those

most of his do

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    Diomede said:

Sorry Diomede. I missed this one and posted in the challenge thread. When we get this error, in my experience it's been saved in a Daz Studio format that is not compatible with Carrara.

I remember back during the 8.5 beta testing that Daz3d ended up changing how Genesis and other Daz Original figures were saved, so everything had to be updated. Caused quite the stir. I think that the older versions worked in Daz Studio just fine, but not in Carrara at all - hence the newer DUF format. These things still (I think) use a dsf file, but there's something different - I never asked or wondered... I was just happy to see 8.5 and Genesis working together.

So that's when I started really loving DIM - and it's also when I decided to always keep my DUF files installed together in the default library - because of those constant updates being made to early Genesis and other DUF content.

Anyway, you should be able to find the Poser version. If you've installed it to the same library, instead of just being in the DS library location, it'll also be available in the Runtime structure under Figures (character, in the actual folder structure). To access it in Carrara, you may have to add that folder to your Content tab as a Runtime as well as the Content version that shows your DS files.

I always use the Poser versions myself if available 

JT being one of the PA's who support Poser

Petipet is another

I always use the Poser versions myself if available 

JT being one of the PA's who support Poser

Petipet is another

Me too. In fact, it took me quite some time to buy anything that did not come with a Poser version unless it was made for Genesis. It was just 2016, I think, when I finally stopped following that rule. I'm glad I broke it. There's some cool DUF-only stuff out there - but it does work funnier in Carrara than a Poser version - so if a Poser version is available, I always opt for that and don't even install the DS version - that is until now that Philemo made that PBR plugin. But I still have only installed a few just to test that out.

feelin a bit tempted by this set  https://www.daz3d.com/hybrid-trees-collection

it says nortmal maps, should work okay

Diomede said:

Funny, I opened a ticket to support as I have the same problem with the Light Armoured Vehicle  https://www.daz3d.com/light-armored-vehicle.

I know I had opened it up in Carrara just after I bought it and now it gets the sqme error. I can open it up no problem in Studio.

If I try to export it the best I can do is to get it out with all morphs working except the back ramp. It just distorts the geometry as if it is attached.

8 Jan Ticket submitted

13 Jan - Support indicates that they are unidated with support requests currently and will get back to me.

Still waiting to see resolution.

LAV Error.PNG
    530 x 120 - 25K
    edited January 2020

in spite of running the instances to objects script in DAZ studio

I seem to be missing a few tables cheeky

guess the bread has a seriously good rising agent

rci0001.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 2M
    rci0002.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 1M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2020

lit fire places always kewl.  and warm.  temps dropping to 28F tnite.

i forgot the trick to making the carousel ponies work?

lost some of my ready scene inventory cuz i'm a total loser and didn't archive

the lightwave version

want to get the whole carnival in motion for atleast 10 seconds

tee hee  to the motley crue song

Post edited by Mistara on
    Diomede said:

Funny, I opened a ticket to support as I have the same problem with the Light Armoured Vehicle  https://www.daz3d.com/light-armored-vehicle.

I know I had opened it up in Carrara just after I bought it and now it gets the sqme error. I can open it up no problem in Studio.

If I try to export it the best I can do is to get it out with all morphs working except the back ramp. It just distorts the geometry as if it is attached.

8 Jan Ticket submitted

13 Jan - Support indicates that they are unidated with support requests currently and will get back to me.

Not sure there will be one. While those dsf files were made for Daz Studio in the first place (hence they work fine in DS), that's what the Carrara Development Team couldn't get to work with during the Carrara 8.5 beta phase, so they created the DUF format.

I see that even the Daz figures (Actors) are in dsf format too, but somehow the DUF still works. I was wondering if somehow saving the content again inside DS would somehow fix the issue, but I think I recall that it doesn't. 

That was the issue that scared me away from buying DUF-Only products from Daz3d in the first place - unless it was Genesis related, which has to be DUF.

Like Wendy's issue that follows. Drats! I am removing that from my wishlist. Even if I could dick around and get it to work, I'll just use content I already have instead. Time is everything to me these days!

I saved an animated duf scene in DAZ studio for the carasol

baked the keyframes?

omg looking at motley crue videos 30 years later >.<  

edited January 2020
    Mystarra said:

baked the keyframes?

nothing to bake are already there

I keyframed it in DS up and down along timeline up frame 0 down frame 30

saved a duf scene

loaded it then oscillated the tweeners in Carrara

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

results like the lightwave demo?

thanks.

ferris wheel looking good in carrara.

trying the chairs ride next

Mystarra said:

results like the lightwave demo?

thanks.

ferris wheel looking good in carrara.

trying the chairs ride next

Carrara render video

trying again to point out the g8f bugs to help tickets.  didn't mention carrara at all. 

my day job bogging me down with work related stuff.  haven't been able to play in carrara at all.  mehh

some of my scene inventory from rdna didn't come over.  i have to scour old flash drives for the installers.  back then my drives were 2 or 4 gb.  prolly worth it to transfer it all to a 32gb.  i'll never trust a 128gb again.  too catastrophic when she blows up

Diomede said:

8 Jan Ticket submitted

Here is customers support response:

Unfortunately, if a product page does not list Carrara ask a Compatible Software, we are unable to guarantee that it will work in Carrara. I apologize for the inconvenience.

So by that logic then 99.9% of the items that they sell will not work in Cararra, therefore there is little incentive to purchase something from The DAZ store as the only recourse you have is if it is under 30 you can return it.

With the sales they have been having I have items that are outside of the 30 days and dont work and can't be returned.

So I guess I won't purchase any more DAZ content unless it says CARRARA in it. so I can't purchase anything from M4/V4, or any of the G, G2, nevermind any other clothing for them, props, ect.

• does collada work?

eek, its pricey

does collada work?

I tried exporting as All versions of export that studio and Carrara support..

it acts like the back ramp is attached to the areas that the are beside it. not sure why.

I have exported it with the ramp down and it is identical to when it is closed.

I can use every other morph no problem.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

what I have done in similar situations is export the model from DS in default pose as an OBJ

then in your case I would open the back ramp in DS and then export the model again with different name as well in OBJ

Import the original into Carrara then import as a morph the opened ramp obj model

then save that model in the browser.. I have done this before a few times with uncoperative models that give that error.

edited February 2020

does collada work?

I tried exporting as All versions of export that studio and Carrara support..

it acts like the back ramp is attached to the areas that the are beside it. not sure why.

I have exported it with the ramp down and it is identical to when it is closed.

I can use every other morph no problem.

The morphs all work except the back gate... am I reading that right? 

Q - Can the gate be rotated manually?

The reason I ask is that, I only have a few DUF-only vehicles and a common issue with them is that the morph dials don't do anything - but I can select the bone and do everything it's supposed to do manually. Some products can be a bit of a pain in this regard, but others are fine. 

A favorite example of mine is this Arachnid Class Transport

The morph dials won't open the doors or engine flaps, etc., but all can be done manually - and in this particular case, it actually works really well manually.

We can easily rotate the the ramp down and the extension, but there's an airlock behind the ramp that's still sealed - and I believe (if memory serves) that there is another set beyond the first.

This makes for a wonderful movie prop in that regard, as it can be very realistic and enjoyable to have so much movement when it comes to entering/exiting a craft meant for space travel.

Okay, here's the thing: When I grabbed the innermost sliding door of the airlock (opens in layers like an elevator door) and start to drag it manually in its Open direction, once I reach the end of its limit the next door in line automatically began to move without having to change selections! Same thing for closing it - just backwards!

I was so happy I had to write a Thank You letter!

I feel your pain though. It can be frustrating not knowing what works and what doesn't - and if we always update to the latest DIM update (of a particular product), will that now 'break' it for Carrara? Argh!

This one's a bit crazy. Instead of just an exterior shell of a ship, we can open this one up, walk (or ride) inside and look around. Even head to the back, through the door and down the hall to a T that leads to stairs in either direction. So cool!

The front gunnery cabin is large enough to run a scene in there as well - and that's just a fraction of this immense ship.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,025
    edited February 2020

Some of these issues with morphs related to movable parts, etc. may due to the interaction of weightmapping and JCMs.  Not saying all are, or most are.  But for a select few, there may be a chance to fix it either with Studios weightmapping tools, ot by creating a new JCM.

Frankly, probably not worth it in many cases, but just another tool in the toolbox, maybe.

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

Some of these issues with morphs related to movable parts, etc. may due to the interaction of weightmapping and JCMs.  Not saying all are, or most are.  But for a select few, there may be a chance to fix it either with Studios weightmapping tools, ot by creating a new JCM.

Frankly, probably not worth it in many cases, but just another tool in the toolbox, maybe.

Right. I think that in my case, it's just that control dials for bones can be set up in several ways to work in DS - and that some of those methods don't work in Carrara.

Sometimes if I buy something that I really wanted for my production (in Carrara) and it doesn't load nicely into Carrara, I'll return it and get something else that does. Other times, if I'm just getting something because it's cool and it's on sale, I'll just keep it for that day that I decide to sit down and play in DS as a render suite instead of a plugin.

• if all else fails I chop stuff up in the vertex room and save parts