Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

I'm having a hard time getting a dforce top to not expose my character's breast ... how do I control the friction?

• I'm having a hard time getting a dforce top to not expose my character's breast ... how do I control the friction?

A particular top? is it made for dForce - soem items, when made dynamic, turn out to be not entirely practical. Friction may help (it can be set in the Surfaces pane), but it may be better to see if there's a surface for neck trim or similar and reduce its dynamic Strength, or use a weight-map (Create>new dForce Weight Access Node to edit the weight maps) to "pin" some or all of the neckline.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

yes ... made for dforce ... I PM you the link to the product so you can see it. I know nothing about pinning or weighting stuff ... lol.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

...question, so can dForce clothing be used just as "fitted" clothing?  I have an older slower system that tends to choke on resource intensive processes.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    kyoto kid said:

...question, so can dForce clothing be used just as "fitted" clothing?  I have an older slower system that tends to choke on resource intensive processes.

It depends on the item.
    Most dForce clothes sold here are also conforming. A good number of them will work rather well without simulation, but some really need the simulation to pose correctly.

...how can you tell before buying?  I know there are some clothing like SickleYield's Roman Clothing Packs or 3DStyle's Minimalist Chic (which I would love to have for my story character Lady Grande) require using dForce for all, or major parts of an outfit.  IS see some clothing that doesn't specify dForce but has a long list of different adjustments (sometimes that I have to page down to see all of) which seems far more than what conforming content would have.

Like I have mentioned I'm on an old system and don't even bother with animation because of the drain it puts on the system's resources. I just picked up the G8F -> G3F clothing converter in the "Build Your Own Fastgrab" sale, but as it appears so much G8 clothing seems to be dForce, I wonder if I'll get much use out of it.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited November 2019
    kyoto kid said:

...how can you tell before buying?  I know there are some clothing like SickleYield's Roman Clothing Packs or 3DStyle's Minimalist Chic (which I would love to have for my story character Lady Grande) require using dForce for all, or major parts of an outfit.  IS see some clothing that doesn't specify dForce but has a long list of different adjustments (sometimes that I have to page down to see all of) which seems far more than what conforming content would have.

Like I have mentioned I'm on an old system and don't even bother with animation because of the drain it puts on the system's resources. I just picked up the G8F -> G3F clothing converter in the "Build Your Own Fastgrab" sale, but as it appears so much G8 clothing seems to be dForce, I wonder if I'll get much use out of it.

Have you tried simulating anything? and if so what happens?

Post edited by scorpio on

...crikey I cannot even run a simple animation that doesn't take hours to process.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370

I'm astouded how many of my older clothing items can be used with dForce with almost no effort on my part.

However, one thing I can't figure out is how to get buttons to move with the cloth.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial on this?

Thank you!

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

All I have seen is to remove things like buttons from the simulation, as shown in this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc7ANwKokk0

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370

Thanks, 3dOutlaw. I'll give that a shot.

...so how would one know if an item of  dForce clothing  could also be used as conforming?  For example, I would love to get the Mother Goose Outfit for G8 (to convert to G3) but not totally sure it would work.

The other question I have is there is a portion of clothing items which doesn't have long or flowing components (particularly a fair amount of of G8M clothing) that are listed as dForce and wondering what's the reason for it?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063

I thought I had read, some time back, that most dForce items are also conforming.  Is this correct?

Dana

edited January 2020

..I've seen in a few product descriptions the mention of "dForce only", but not sure if that also applies others that don't have that notification.

What gets me is a vast majority of clothing content seems to be dForce based whereas many years ago only a small segment of clothing for Poser or Carrara was branded as "dynamic". 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

..I've seen in a few product descriptions the mention of "dForce only", but not sure if that also applies others that don't have that notification.

What gets me is a vast majority of clothing content seems to be dForce based whereas many years ago only a small segment of clothing for Poser or Carrara was branded as "dynamic". 

I would mostly expect dForce only items to say that. You could also check the list of morphs for skirts and so on to see if they appeared to have posing morphs.

edited January 2020

...OK here are the details is for the Mother Goose Outfit for G8F. Can this be used as conforming clothing or does it actually need dForce to work?

Mother Goose specs.png
    1596 x 626 - 139K
  • The dress has morphs, that can go positive or negative, for front, back, left, and right. It also has a posing handle for each shin. I used both to quickly do this (which is also using the applied Smoothing Modifier), so yes I think it is suable without simulating.

MotherGoose no dForce.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 259K

....thank you.

So hard to tell sometimes. REally don't want to be submitting a bunch of support tickets for returning items I find don;t work.after I purchased them.  Maybe just a note that mentions that clothing also works (or doesn't) as conforming content.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited January 2020

yes posing morphs are always appreciated 

my point in my I am over the Dforce clothing but not Dforce thread

I still use Dforce a lot but clothes that require it are a right pain to animate having a few morphs and handles helps a lot

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2020

...they're a real pain when it takes 15 min of more just to run the simulation (and hope they don't "explode" in the process). 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    kyoto kid said:

...they're a real pain when it takes 15 min of more just to run the simulation (and hope they don't "explode" in the process). 

dForce has been improved a lot in regard to avoiding explosions. If you haven't tried it for a long time, you might want to try it in a recent version of Daz Studio. Don't let an early bad experience prevent you from trying again.

edited January 2020

...that still doesn't solve the time issue.

There are also instances in which I need to go back and slightly modify a pose or reposition a character which means having to run the sim all over again. While I am only creating single frame images, just getting lighting and items like skin to look right in Iray is difficult enough, given all the parameters to deal with compared to working with conforming clothing morphs and handles when provided.  Working with older hardware is the main reason I don't bother with any animation (I've actually removed the timeline from my setup).

All I am looking for is a better way to tell when looking at a product description if a clothing product can also be used as conforming content.

• So, I took a cape on a figure, posed the figure, and ran the simulation from the default pose to the current pose.  Then I adjusted some straps and things to better fit.  Now I want to re-simulate from this current state.  So I turned off "simulate from memorized pose", but it just wants to simulate from base.  How do I make it simulate from current?

You can't pick up and resume simulation after it finishes.
  • It had finished the complete alloted simulation.  This is running a second one based on the results of the first.

You can't start a second simulation from the results of the first one. dForce does not support that. You can export the simulated results as an OBJ then import it as a morph. Clear the simulation and apply the morph. Then you can start a new simulation. But that is a lot of work.
  • Ah, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Trying the hex=morph route.  Hmm.  When I try that the whole cape gets rotated away from the body.  Any idea why it's doing that?  Or how to fix it?  It's a parented garment so it doesn't like rotating independent of the body.

rotating.png
    902 x 515 - 379K
  • Ah, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Trying the hex=morph route.  Hmm.  When I try that the whole cape gets rotated away from the body.  Any idea why it's doing that?  Or how to fix it?  It's a parented garment so it doesn't like rotating independent of the body.

https://thinkdrawart.com/how-to-save-a-daz-studio-dforce-frame-as-a-morph

• That worked amazing!  Thanks!

edited March 2020

..moved to another thread.