Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 2013

Working on a comprehensive update to the first post of the thread...in the meantime, here's a link to a new official guide: How to download and install DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro for New Users

(saintly1941: see previous post for instructions on doing a custom content installation using DIM)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks a lot Scott. Now I'm still caught in the middle here. I have a new 3TB HD to install, so the question is do I still go ahead with the install to E: of which is the main reason why I'm having so much trouble with installing EVERYTHING. So the idea might be lost, and with the fact that I bought another HD could very well be a better direction and let DIM install to C: as per normal. Can I be assured that this line of action would be better than attempting a custom install to another location? Becuae it had always pained me that when I had done everything I could to get everything installed, it always ended up with Content being(To me at least) in the wrong place, that being C:\users etc,etc.

Hanging on a thread here.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm not following. All my DIM content installs on D and my DAZ Studio and DIM are on C. Very do able.

edited December 1969

My own computer doesn't have anything more than C: but if yours does, just set the install directory (step 9) to E:/My DAZ 3D Library or whatever. Should work fine, if you follow the steps, even if it's not on the C drive.

edited December 1969

Hopefully things go more smoothly for you now. I think those instructions should help you get up and running. If you do run into more trouble, please let us know what step you are having problems with, or, if you complete all the steps but still can't find your content in DS.

• kleinefotomankleinefotoman Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

On my previous installation i didn't have extra content next to the standard provided content. I don't really remember in which year I installed it, but what I do know is that I installed everything manually. Early in this year I bought some content in the DAZ shop and on Renderosity. Because I didn't have much time (and harddisk space) I didn't install it.

In the summer vacation my Graphics Card died and I decided to upgrade my whole system and do a Reinstall. At the moment I have finally some time (not really much though) to reinstall the DAZ3D products and content. In the last months I tried to find out how to correctly install everything. There are just some questions I can't find an answer to.

Everywhere is stated to select the content you want to install. But nowhere is stated in which order you should install the content. Let me explain why I ask this. If there were some content, say A, which is specially for some other content, say B (which has a specific folder). When content A would be installed before content B, then the installer for content A would not find the install path because it does not exist before content B would be installed. I don't know if the installers work like this, but I wouldn't be surprised if if there were dependencies in the order of installation. If there were just a few installations it wouldn't be a huge problem to sort out which installers are the main content B, and which the additional content A, but if I look at my content in the Product Library, I see a frightening amount of content.

I also have some DAZ3D content which I got with a magazine. Is it possible to add it to the Install Manager?

As for my Renderosity content, as far as I understand, I have to install it manually.

edited December 2013

For DAZ Genesis content it really does not matter, if For example it needs B it will just say Cant find B and load anyway but not apply B. Hope that helps. When you install B it will be in the right place and then load. Be sure ALL Genesis G1 G2 G2F G2M and all morphs ect go into just ONE content folder though. Don't spread it out like we can With M4 V4 to diff Runtimes.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    For DAZ Genesis content it really does not matter, if For example it needs B it will just say Cant find B and load anyway but not apply B. Hope that helps. When you install B it will be in the right place and then load. Be sure ALL Genesis G1 G2 G2F G2M and all morphs ect go into just ONE content folder though. Don't spread it out like we can With M4 V4 to diff Runtimes.

You can't spread out the 4th gen morphs. I've been told you can with Genesis, but I haven't tried it.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

You can't spread out the 4th gen morphs. I've been told you can with Genesis, but I haven't tried it.I meant Separate folders for each Figure which you can do, all that figures morphs must go in its folder of course. M4 one Runtime for ALL M4 was my point. Don't do that with Genesis, put ALL in one Folder.

edited December 1969

If I understand correctly, I do best to use the "My DAZ 3D Library" for Genesis, Genesis 2 and M5, V5 and above (and Young Teens and other genesis based creatures).
    There seem to be a lot of people who make an M4 library, V4 library, S4 library, A4 library and so on. Would it be strange if if I make an V4 library and M4 library, and put S4 and A4 also in the V4 library and put H4 and The Freak 4 into the M4 library (since S4 and A4 are based on V4, and H4 and The Freak 4 are based on M4).
    Or would it then make more sense to make an folder "Non-Genesis gen4 Library" and put V4, S4, A4, M4, H4 and The Freak 4 altogether in it. Apart from those I might also do some separe library's for other content .
    In this case I guess I would make/have the following Library's

- My DAZ 3D Library (Genesis, Genesis2, M5, V5, M6, V6, Young Teens)
    - Non-Genesis gen4 Library (V4, S4, A4, M4, H4, The Freak4)
    - Creatures and Things (animals, creatures, and their animations, poses and props)
    - Environments and Props (buildings, interiors, landscapes, furniture, machinery, weapons, lighting, plants, vehicles)

Would that be a good enough setup? there is much stuff which works for example on V4 as well as on S4 as well on A4.
    In this case all the props and things are already scattered enough I think. The last to library's are based on the categories in the shop which seems to make sense.
    Do the library's have any kind of influence in the way stuff pops up in the smart content pane?

There is some content which confuses me. "Carrara Hair Caps" and "Carrara Hair Caps for Genesis and Genesis 2" confuse me to where I have to install them. Do I have to place "Carrara Hair Caps" into the Carrara native content library (Don't know exactly where that is) or in the "My DAZ 3D Library" where genesis will be placed, or does DIM choose the carrara native content library anyway wether I select something else or not. I guess that the "Carrara Hair Caps for Genesis and Genesis 2" has to be placed in the "My DAZ 3D Library", or not?
    The same problem with Bryce content.

I hope someone can answer these maybe simple problems. I am sure it is explained somewhere, but I guess I just missed it while reading the answer, there is such a huge amount of info that it is easy to miss some of it.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,218
    edited December 1969

I posted some info and screenshots regarding installing and using the correct Ds version of an environment product in DAZ Studio as opposed to the Poser (Ps) version of the same files, which might be of some use in this discussion too. Link to the Commons: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/34288/

edited December 1969

For Really simple I just put it All in My DAZ 3D Library myself all DIM installed and use Content Library Tab so I can use the DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats sections just like I did in DS3. I only have Sep folders linked to my DS3 version now.

edited December 1969

I also have yet another question related to the content installation.In http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazcontentconfiguration#install_to_the_correct_path is stated that you run all installers, wether ds or dpc, otherwise the installation is not complete *1. The page is talking about manual install, not trough DIM, but it does rise the question how the DIM handles it. In the list in DIM, there are some files which also have a posercf file. Does this apply the same way to this files? To install for example Alruna and Alruna PoserCF both (with the "Recommended DAZ Studio/Poser Content Folder" location). Let me make clear that I do not have Poser Installed (I only have DAZ Studio, Carrara, Bryce and Hexagon). I might install it someday, but at the moment I do not intend to use it. My reason for asking this is purely for the sake of installing the content completely.

*1: further on the page at the FAQ, it states:

"You should run both the installers labeled _ds_ and the installers _dpc_ when you are working in DAZ Studio. If you only run the installers labeled _ds_, you wil not get the whole product."

Jaderail said:
    For Really simple I just put it All in My DAZ 3D Library myself all DIM installed and use Content Library Tab so I can use the DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats sections just like I did in DS3. I only have Sep folders linked to my DS3 version now.

Does it have some advantages having everything in the same folder? does it otherwise limit things like "Genesis Generation X", "V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis" and "Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female"?

edited December 1969

If you set the Download Filters in DIM to only the software you use, it will only show the files you need. If the zips are named properly, anything labeled CF (Companion File) means it needs the other zip as well -- so if it is a StudioCF and you use DS, you need to install the Poser version also; if it is a PoserCF and you use Poser, you need to install the DS version also.. If you just use DS you don't need the PoserCF's.

edited December 1969

Hello Everyone,

While installing with DIM and checking my Product Library, I discovered that there are several products which are partly usable through DIM while other parts are not. It might be that the DIM files consist of those other files, but that is something I do not know. Has someone more information on this? The products concerning are:

Carrara products (all from Howie Farkes):
    - country lane 2
    - Secret lake
    - secret lake seasons
    - stoney creek
    - stoney creek beechdale
    - stoney creek sprucevale
    - valle alpina
    - world gardens japan

Native contents:
    - Bryce 5.0 Content Pack
    - Carrara 8 Native Content

DAZ Studio products:
    - Amaya Hair
    - Basicwear for V4A4G4 and Elite
    - Fashion V4
    - Primrose for S4
    - Shader Mixer Tutorial
    - Techno Tabby V4 A4 Elite
    - V4 Elite Body Shapes

Next to that, there are also the bundles which give me same problem. It might be content which is already covered by the sub-products, but it might also be original content which has to be installed separately. Again the list:

- DAZ Horse 2 Pro Bundle
    - Stephanie 4 Starter Pack
    - Victoria 4 3D Model Pro Suite
    - Young Teens 5 Pro Bundle

I also have a little other question. Are there more people who do not see a serial for FaceShop 8 WIN in their "My Serial Number" list ?

edited December 1969

Hello Everyone,

While installing with DIM and checking my Product Library, I discovered that there are several products which are partly usable through DIM while other parts are not. It might be that the DIM files consist of those other files, but that is something I do not know. Has someone more information on this? The products concerning are:

Carrara products (all from Howie Farkes):
    - country lane 2
    - Secret lake
    - secret lake seasons
    - stoney creek
    - stoney creek beechdale
    - stoney creek sprucevale
    - valle alpina
    - world gardens japan

Native contents:
    - Bryce 5.0 Content Pack
    - Carrara 8 Native Content

DAZ Studio products:
    - Amaya Hair
    - Basicwear for V4A4G4 and Elite
    - Fashion V4
    - Primrose for S4
    - Shader Mixer Tutorial
    - Techno Tabby V4 A4 Elite
    - V4 Elite Body Shapes

Next to that, there are also the bundles which give me same problem. It might be content which is already covered by the sub-products, but it might also be original content which has to be installed separately. Again the list:

- DAZ Horse 2 Pro Bundle
    - Stephanie 4 Starter Pack
    - Victoria 4 3D Model Pro Suite
    - Young Teens 5 Pro Bundle

I also have a little other question. Are there more people who do not see a serial for FaceShop 8 WIN in their "My Serial Number" list ?

I don't have the Carrara products, but I'm not aware of any problems with the other items. What problems/missing elements are you seeing?

edited December 1969

If you look for example to Country Lane 2 in the product library, you will see the next
    15296_CountryLane2_1.0_ca.exe 44.09 MB [download]
    15296_CountryLane2_1.0_ca.zip 52.42 MB [download]
    Country Lane 2 39.86 MB [download] [download & install]

It still gives the idea that the first two files might be for installing it the old way, but those files are bigger which means that it also might be new extra's which aren't in the third file. In the following example it is the same.

If you look to Bryce 5.0 Content Pack, you see
    4473_Bryce5ContentPack_1.1_br.exe 146.36 MB [download]
    4473_Bryce5ContentPack_1.1_br.zip 154.07 MB [download]
    Bryce 5.0 Content Pack 141.56 MB [download] [download & install]

But some products enhance the feeling of the second possibility, while the first file is for the DIM, the next files with their increasing number (5 and 6) give the idea that they are added later for more content.

if you look to Amaya Hair, you see
    Amaya Hair 61.82 MB [download] [download & install]
    10457_5_dpc_AmayaHair_5.exe 24.56 MB [download]
    10457_5_dpc_AmayaHair_5.zip 29.07 MB [download]
    10457_6_dpc_AmayaHair_6.exe 41.34 MB [download]
    10457_6_dpc_AmayaHair_6.zip 45.36 MB [download]

If you look at DAZ Horse 2 Pro Bundle, you see
    15356_WesternSaddleTextures_1.0_ds.exe 54.28 MB [download]
    15356_WesternSaddleTextures_1.0_ds.zip 62.03 MB [download]

and beneath those files you see an overview of all sub-products of the bundle, where also WesternSaddleTextures is displayed. If you click that product link you see it's file's where those above-mentioned are not present (which is strange).
    If you look at Stephanie 4 Starter Pack, you see the same happening with two files from Primrose, a sub-product, though in this case, if you follow the link, you see in the Primrose for S4 that the files with increasing numbers continue.

under Stephanie 4 Starter Pack:
    10747_3_dpc_PrimroseforS4_3.exe 30.13 MB [download]
    10747_3_dpc_PrimroseforS4_3.zip 34.54 MB [download]

under Primrose for S4:
    Primrose for S4 56.11 MB [download] [download & install]
    10747_4_dpc_PrimroseforS4_4.exe 30.41 MB [download]
    10747_4_dpc_PrimroseforS4_4.zip 34.92 MB [download]
    10747_5_dpc_PrimroseforS4_5.exe 30.13 MB [download]
    10747_5_dpc_PrimroseforS4_5.zip 34.55 MB [download]

At Victoria 4.2 3D Model Pro Suite you see a whole load of the same kind of idea happen, though this time in the linked content there are only DIM compatible files.

3170_V4SkinMapsHRDS_1.1_ds.exe 6.30 MB [download]
    3170_V4SkinMapsHRDS_1.1_ds.zip 15.05 MB [download]
    3170_V4SkinMapsHR_1.1_dpc.exe 61.31 MB [download]
    3170_V4SkinMapsHR_1.1_dpc.zip 69.12 MB [download]
    3910_V4WetMapsDS_1.1_ds.exe 5.72 MB [download]
    3910_V4WetMapsDS_1.1_ds.zip 14.47 MB [download]
    3910_V4WetMaps_1.1_dpc.exe 47.02 MB [download]
    3910_V4WetMaps_1.1_dpc.zip 55.06 MB [download]
    3922_V4SkinMapsStdDS_1.0_ds.exe 6.30 MB [download]
    3922_V4SkinMapsStdDS_1.0_ds.zip 15.05 MB [download]
    3922_V4SkinMapsStd_1.0_dpc.exe 15.28 MB [download]
    3922_V4SkinMapsStd_1.0_dpc.zip 23.95 MB [download]

while writing all this I realize I might be reading too much into it, though it still is a strange matter.
    Sorry for the bad formatting.

edited December 1969

The Windows .exe's are usually a few MB larger than the zips because they include the installer code as well; the Mac zips have multi-OS installer code so they're often bigger than the Windows .exe's

Some of the installers are split into several files to keep file sizes below 50MB or so -- the DIM zips often combine them into a single file.

In the case of Amaya hair, I did compare the DIM zip to the two .exe's and the contents match. Same for the Stephanie 4 Pro Bundle and V4 Pro Bundle -- it looks like some of the older versions of the installers were left on the page along with newer versions. I compared the DIM zips to the installers for all of the older DS/Poser content for which I still had the installers, and bug reported any which didn't match -- except for the V3 and M3 High Fantasy Character & Clothing Bundles and the PC 2007-2008 Bonus Bundle, they've all been corrected.

I don't recall if I compared the Bryce 5 exe to the zip -- I think I did, but I may not have. I can't remember if I ever downloaded the DAZ Horse 2 Pro Bundle installers, so I may not have compared them to the zips.

edited December 1969

Following your lead, I have downloaded one of the non-DIM files of Country Lane 2 and installed it to a fake installation path (so I could easily remove it again without to worry about my normal installation). I have compared the files with the file list on the Documentation Center and it seems to be the same.

I have also done this with the Bryce 5.0 Content pack and it also matches. There was no file list for the Carrara 8 Native Content in the Documentation Center so I had to compare it with the through the DIM installed content. Also this one seems to match.

With all this it is already clear that I worried too much again. Although I didn't test every carrara content from Howie Farkes, with the already tested content, there is already proof enough that it will be the same content.
    Thank you for your help.

edited December 1969

After carefully installing the programs and content (which I almost continually kept buying the last 2 weeks), today I finally tried to open DAZ Studio (while keeping the serials at hand). I hoped to just start Studio, give the serial, just let studio see the content, to close it thereafter, to start installing my plugin applications like "Look At My Hair", "Genesis Generation X", "Faceshop 8 WIN" (though I strangely never got the serial), "aniMate 2" (just passing the serial in to activate it) and "Garibaldi Express Hair System for DAZ Studio" (yes, I know, next to carrara's hair and LaMH yet another hair tool).
    Strangely, it did not work out the way I wanted it to. The next thing happened, though I better I had to do.

I tried to start Studio, when it started it did not ask me for the serial, and the smart content tab kept empty. Under the 'Services' tab in Windows Taskmanager I could see that when Studio starts, the CMS service stops. The next thing I have done is uninstalling Studio through DIM, and re-installing it again through DIM. Because at opening the newly installed Studio I still couldn't see the Smart Content, I searched through Services where CMS was installed because I suspected that CMS wasn't re-installed. From the creation date information in the files my suspicion was proved right.

After making a copy of the CMS installation, I uninstalled CMS. Thereafter I also made a copy of the database which was no less then 7 GB. Subsequently I deleted the database.
    After that, I installed CMS again (which installation file seemed to be in the DIM installation folder). At starting Studio, the files for the database were made, though they were not automatically filled with the metadata of the available content (which I installed the last few weeks). I had to give Studio the order to rebuild the metadata. While it was doing that I saw the database files growing, though not up to 7 GB, just a few Megabytes.

At the moment I can see in Studio under Smart Content under the tab 'Products' all 143 products Studio found.
    Unfortunately there are some files which have a warning sign. The products are:

- Carrara Hair Caps for Genesis and Genesis 2 not strange since it is for Carrara
    - Knightly Barding sub-product of DAZ Horse 2; under tab files, the files are seen though
    - Toon Amy for Genesis Accessories under tab files, the accessories are seen though

If I click the 'Info' tab there is no Description for the products, is that normal? even the DAZ 3D products, like "Aiko 5" show no description. I think that is weird since they made the Info tab themselves, you would think that at least they would put data in Description field. Does it have to do with the rebuild of the metadata? (all those GB's might have been actually useful data)

Going through this trouble, I don't even dare to open Carrara, what kind of trouble will that give me, Studio is giving me enough trouble already. Since Bryce and Hexagon are not connected to the same database I will try to open those programs to activate them.

To be honest it is frustrating to get into trouble with Studio at this time since I put much time in carefully installing everything and trying not to miss a single thing. The last time I installed Studio, which was somewhere in 2012 I think, when I was a complete noob, everything went right. I am still a beginner, but I should at least be able to install a program.

edited January 2014

I hate to tell you this after all you did but I think all you needed to do was SET the CMS to a Allowed Service after the SYS had turned it off the first time. If the CMS and another service call the same address the second gets shut off, Allowed fixes that. Also check to see if your AV Allows the CMS Service.

Second thing your going to run into. LAMH and Baldi can not BOTH be installed. That is a known conflict.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for telling me. To be honest I have to say it was hard for me trying to understand what your writing here. As far as I understand you are saying the next thing.

The CMS has to be set to Allowed in my Firewall, isn't it? what you excactly mean by SYS I still don't really know, my guess is you mean the system running the firewall, right? In my case it is Norton Internet Security. I can't find any history items telling me that Norton ever blocked it, but since CMS was at the moment of checking already in the norton firewall list (set to Auto, so I changed it to Allow), it also might have been so in the earlier installed CMS. Anyway, now it IS allowed.
    When you say that not two services can call the same address, and the second will be shut off, wouldn't that mean that Studio itself should be the one who can't connect (being the second). did you mean to say the first will be shut off in favor of the second one?

It was really difficult to understand your cryptic AV. The first thing I thought was that you might have meant to that some Audio Video programs might cause some friction with it. I would belief it if you said that Adobe has some services which cause issues with it. :lol:
    One of your other posts concerning this problem (which I found after using your "Allowed Service" in the forums search engine) finally made clear you meant Anti Virus.
    I have searched for other 'trusted' lists in the Norton settings, but I couldn't find more places which had to be set.

I still have the orange warning signs in the products. It might be a really simple problem which doesn't cause errors. Sorry for being still a noob.

Since there is a good chance that your described issue was the reason for all this, could I possibly try to shut off Studio and CMS, backup again the current database, and replace it with the old one? Just to see if it does work and gives more information to Studio? Or even a better question, is it normal that the database becomes 7 GB? DIM shows me that there are 321 products installed (for all programs together). The "My DAZ 3D Library" folder is 13.4 GB. I have to say that 7 GB is a bit much for just a database. It would mean every product produces 21 MB in the database instead of the "1 MB per 5 items" which is everywhere stated.

Concerning the LAMH and GariBaldi, thank you for warning me. Both products are actually new to me. I was already interested the LAMH player because I saw good results for the animals (namely the real fur for Big Cat 2), when I came across the Garibaldi system in the 45% action a few days ago and saw the amazing realistically random hair strands in the promo images, I also became interested in that system. After some quick random simple comparisons I came to the conclusion that LAMH is good for animals and other things like grass and that Garibaldi might be better for human hair.
    Do you have any idea where they specifically conflict? do they use the same resources in Studio or something?
    Is it possible to just make the garibaldi hair on another computer and load it in any kind of way into the installation where LAMH is used? Or do I loose many features of the garibaldi system that way?

edited December 1969

I often Forget that not every user has been using a PC as long as I have. But from reading some of your posts I assumed you were familiar with most of the common acronyms. SYS is short for System as you figured out, AV is short for Anti Virus Software. I'm not sure what could have caused orphaned files (yellow triangles) in your Smart Content, I believe you created a new Database, and did a fresh Metadata import. Which you should have, the first was far to large for that amount of content.

As for the Service thing, DAZ Studio runs as it's own Service and Calls the CMS service as a function. That is why they both list separate in your Task Manager, and can be shut down from it without shutting down the other. Many things run as a Service and some even call the same addresses but are Allowed by default by the Operating System. Some Firewalls, and Some Anti Virus software see New services as BAD and do not allow them. I had to set my CMS to allowed for my Firewall.

I've never checked why LAMH and Baldi conflict. I have just read about others who have installed them both and found out both stopped functioning properly or even at all. I only Use LAMH Player at this time, I'm waiting on a Newer Update for LAMH Full before I install it again.

• Lord_JugLord_Jug Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I saw there was a new version of Studio (4.6) so I uninstalled my happily working 4.0 Pro, and installed the new version manually. I then installed the Starter essentials content. When I ran Studio, the Genesis figure is shown in the content panels (but with a yellow triangle) but the file can't be found. I checked and found that Studio was looking for content in a different place than where the Essentials had installed. Okay, so I deleted everything and tried again.

This time I decided to use the DAZ Install Manager. This installs the actual program Studio and the Starter stuff, automatically, with no agreements to click or anything. And gave the same result. Still can't find the file, even though it installed everything.

I uninstalled all the content again. Went back to DIM again. This time I clicked on the Installation tab and under the Label-Path field entered the path to the folder where the My Library folder was supposed to be, according to the missing file notice I was getting any time I tried to load a model. I then installed Studio and the Starter Essentials again. And it still can't find the Genesis figure.

Okay, so aside from this being fairly laughable, does anyone have any idea what or where things are going and if there is a better process than this.

Many thanks!

edited December 1969

When you upgrade DAZ Studio your old settings are preserved, including your content folders. You need to add the DAZ Install Manager default location (or whatever location you told DIM to install to if you aren't using the default) to the Content Directory Manager in DS.

• Lord_JugLord_Jug Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I had uninstalled everything but anyway, it's now resolved. I removed everything again. I then read that for smart content installed through the DIM, the Studio program had to be installed that way as well. This time, I made sure that all content was installed to c:/users/public rather than c:/users/myname. Even then, once run, Studio had a Smart Content folder for Figures>People and a separate Smart folder for People>Real World. In that second one, an icon appeared for Genesis, though this time without the little photo of the model. This still reported an error. However, going to Figures>People and loading Genesis 2 Base Female actually worked and loaded the figure. When I quit out and later restarted Studio again, the error-based Genesis icon had disappeared from the People> Real World folder. So, very confusing. Also, why the program is storing content in my public folder is bizarre, but then again, content management and file structure has always been the achilles heel of Studio.

• maxfield.leidnermaxfield.leidner Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Hi. I am extremely interested in using DAZ studio. I am running windows 7, 32-bit, 3GHz dual-core processor, 3GB ram, and an ATI radeon graphics card.

I have installed Daz studio 4.6 pro (the 32 bit version) using the install manager. However, when I open it, within seconds, my computer immediately freezes to the point where the mouse doesn't move and I can't even use CTRL+ALT+DEL to end the program. This happens every time. I even uninstalled and re-installed it and the same thing happens.

I looked over the hardware requirements and I think my computer meets them. So my question is, do you know why this might be happening, and what can I do to my computer to fix it?

Thanks,
    Max

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

I would suspect the video card - can you open Help>Troubleshooting>About your video card in DS before it freezes, and copy the information there?

• maxfield.leidnermaxfield.leidner Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard, but there is no time to do that before the computer freezes. I know the requirements include OpenGL 1.6 compatibility and I've been trying to figure out if the ATI Radeon card doesn't have that feature. I was kind of hoping that, since it is not a terribly obscure or ancient graphics card, that either it would work, or that people would know if it didn't. I guess I was also hoping that this was a known issue and that there was a patch I needed to install or whatever.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Do you know what version of the Radeon it is?