Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can change the base location for software from Program Files/Program Files (x86) to another location -- that works fine. DIM will create the subfolders below that location, e.g. if you set the 64-bit install path to E:/graphics then DIM will install DS to
    E:/graphics/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4

• madmaxneo1madmaxneo1 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

You can change the base location for software from Program Files/Program Files (x86) to another location -- that works fine. DIM will create the subfolders below that location, e.g. if you set the 64-bit install path to E:/graphics then DIM will install DS to
    E:/graphics/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4

This will work. But
    1. If I change it now will Daz3d look in the new spot for the installed content?
    2. Will I have to redownload and install the content I have already installed or can I just copy and paste?
    I may just go ahead and get a new 2tb+ drive for all my Daz3d and other graphics program stuff. FYI, I'm a gamer and not a graphic artist but I have a little experience from working in a sign shop for a year and a half while in the military.

3. Bonus question: I tried looking for some of the content I have installed so far and I was not able to find anything conclusive. Is there a cheat guide somewhere that shows where the content from the Daz3d store is located?

The last question is for me and when I am cleaning up my system and trying to open up some more disc space.

edited December 1969

The software location and content location are independent -- you can uninstall DS and reinstall it in a new location, and it weill still look in the same place for content.

For moving content, there's an easy way and a hard way.

Before either method: If you have custom categories, metadata, or tags,
    1) Export User Data first.

Easy way:
    2) Reset the content database
    3) Uninstall everything with DIM and reinstall it in the new location
    4) In DS, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and change the content location for BOTH "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".
    5) If you had custom metadata, Re-Import Metadata for the User Data

Hard way:
    3) Move your content folder to the new location
    4) In DS, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and change the content location for BOTH "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".
    5) Re-Import Metadata for both User Data and Products
    6) Go to the DIM Manifests folder (default location for Windows is C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles ). In that folder is a.dsx file for every product installed with DIM. You're going to be changing one line in all of them, so you'll want to use a text editor that can edit all of them at once -- I use Notepad+. You're going to be changing the line that reads (for Windows):

You want to change that to your new location. Note that you need to use forward slashes even on Windows.

You'll also want to change the location for the DIM downloads folder -- that can be done inside DIM by going to Settings > Downloads.

edited December 1969

For question 3: if you right-click on an item in DIM and choose "Show Installed Files", it will show you all of the files it installed. You can also click on the Information symbol (the letter i in a circle) for an item in DIM and it will go to the online readme.

Note that Content Library > DAZ Studio Formats displays files that are in your content folders except in Data, Runtime, or Readme's. Content Librry > Poser Formats displays files that are in Runtime/Libraries/XXX, where XXX is one of the following:
    Character (in Content Library it will say Figures)
    Camera
    Face (in Content Library it will say Expressions)
    Hair
    Hand
    Light
    Material
    Pose
    Props
    Scene

Any other files in Runtime except for those folders, as well as anything in Data or Readme's, will not appear inside Content Library.

edited December 1969

The software location and content location are independent -- you can uninstall DS and reinstall it in a new location, and it weill still look in the same place for content.

For moving content, there's an easy way and a hard way.

Before either method: If you have custom categories, metadata, or tags,
    1) Export User Data first.

Easy way:
    3) Uninstall everything with DIM and reinstall it in the new location
    5) If you had custom metadata, Re-Import Metadata for the User Data

You'll also want to change the location for the DIM downloads folder -- that can be done inside DIM by going to Settings > Downloads.

I think I will go with the easy way....
    But I can't find where to "reset the content database". I looked it up in the help files and went to the "Content Directory Manager" (there is no option for "Content Manager") and there are no options to "Reset the Content Database".
    I am not sure if this matters but I have yet to create anything in this and only have gone through 2 tutorials. I want to have all the content in the other drive before messing with it to much.
    Would it be ok to just start with no. 3?

edited December 1969

Content Library options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner of the Content Library pane) > Content DB Maintenance

Resetting the database isn't essential -- if after uninstalling and reinstalling with DIM you have leftover icons you can do the reset and reimport metadata then, you won't need to reinstall again.

edited December 1969

Content Library options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner of the Content Library pane) > Content DB Maintenance

Resetting the database isn't essential -- if after uninstalling and reinstalling with DIM you have leftover icons you can do the reset and reimport metadata then, you won't need to reinstall again.

Apparently I did it the super easy way. When I was uninstalling everything I also uninstalled the DAZ3d program....
    But I re-installed DAZ3D on the primary drive. I just want all the content to go in another drive so as to not over stuff the C drive.
    All instructions were followed. The only thing I didn't change is the install directory of the 32bit and 64bit software.

...and my content (purchased and free) is still going to my C drive.
    So I assume that means I still have to change the 32bit and 64bit software directories.

edited December 1969

In DIM you need to go to Settings > Installation to add your new content location, and make sure you switch the current location to your new location.

• king.bidzinskiking.bidzinski Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

Daz 3d looks like a great software, I am new to the whole 3d scene and want a good programme to use to do things with such as create animations create designs which can then be 3d printed ect I also see that daz is a paid software so which one is best and why? any advice on this would be great thanks.

edited April 2015

Daz 3d looks like a great software, I am new to the whole 3d scene and want a good programme to use to do things with such as create animations create designs which can then be 3d printed ect I also see that daz is a paid software so which one is best and why? any advice on this would be great thanks.

I am also new to the 3D scene. DAZ3D is a great program and easy to use simply because of the tutorials that come with the program.

The base DAZ program is free but you do have to pay for assets like clothing and other props. You could of course develop all that your self but it takes time to learn the program. I did purchase Bryce which is a program that works with DAZ3D but I have yet to install it. From what I understand you can use Bryce to create textures for props and scenery.

Since DAZ3D is free you should check it out and see if it works for you. I have to warn you though, is a very addictive program and hard to walk away from. :)

Post edited by madmaxneo1 on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

DAZ3D is the company, the software they make are; DAZ Studio, Carrara, Hexagon and Bryce.

• king.bidzinskiking.bidzinski Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

Are they all same software? or addons or do they do different things?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

They are different software with different uses. Visit the forums dedicated to each program to get the best answers to questions you have about them.

• running Now 1967running Now 1967 Posts: 47
    edited May 2015

sorry i put some thing deleted it, Can not seem able to remove it!

Post edited by running Now 1967 on
  • studioworkmailstudioworkmail Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Good day!

I would like to get some help on reinstalling my Genesis evolution morph bundle files. I recently changed from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one(Win 7 home) and unfortunately the installer file wont let me install the old Gen morph bundle I used to have to Genesis.

I have reinstalled Daz studio 4.7(I was using 4. and included the DIM and re tried to install the Genesis bundle for the old genesis but all I got is an error message

"Genesis Evolution Body Morphs" has a dependency on another product and the required file(s) could not be found in the chosen location.
    Please chose a different installation location.

From what I can understand the file cant detect Genesis thats why it fails to install....unless I have overlooked something.

Should I just reinstall all over again?And how do I perfectly perfomr a clean uninstallation of Daz Studio?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

You should be able to download and install the morphs with DIM. It may be that the installer version isn't recognising the current version of Genesis, which would be the dependency. If you don't have the morphs in your order history for some reason (for example, they came on a magazine cover disc) contact sales with proof of purchase/ownership and they may be able to help you.

• kkrcharliekkrcharlie Posts: 1
    edited June 2015

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) ... These instructions are for first-time installers and for people installing a new version of DAZ Studio. Step-by-step ... This is the link on DAZ 3D: DAZ Studio Installer Download Page is that true?
    get hard 2015 720p brrip x264 yify torrent at get hard 2015 720p brrip x264 yify torrent.
    download shes funny that way 2014 hdrip xvid evo at download shes funny that way 2014 hdrip xvid evo.
    download cinderella 2015 hc hdrip xvid ac3 evo at download cinderella 2015 hc hdrip xvid ac3 evo.
    download kingsman the secret service 2014 1080p brrip x264 yify free at download kingsman the secret service 2014 1080p brrip x264 yify free.
    download fast and furious 7 2015 1080p hdrip x264 ac3 jyk torrent at download fast and furious 7 2015 1080p hdrip x264 ac3 jyk torrent.
    download free at download free.
    download penny dreadful s02e07 hdtv x264 lol ettv free at download penny dreadful s02e07 hdtv x264 lol ettv free.
    torrent download jurassic world 2015 new hqcam x264 ac3 mrg at torrent download jurassic world 2015 new hqcam x264 ac3 mrg.
    driverpack solution 15 6 full driverpacks 15 05 5 team os hkrg torrent at driverpack solution 15 6 full driverpacks 15 05 5 team os hkrg torrent.
    torrent download at torrent download.

Post edited by kkrcharlie on
    edited December 1969

Is what true?

• LeggyBlondLeggyBlond Posts: 124
    edited May 2015

Download Manager is a real pain for me. When I tried it - it does not see my existing content but......for a very good reason!

Apart from having multiple Runtimes on different drives, I take the time to categorise my props into created and ''Relevant' folders. If I had left my Runtimes in the state that Daz would have it they would be a real mess..and one library folder alone would probably require an immense amount of scrolling from top to bottom!. Notwithstanding that, many vendors give their containing folders obscure and/or abbreviated names not to say often cryptic.

One of the biggest issues I have with many software vendors is that many always seem to assume that Valhalla is always 'C' Drive. I for one deliberately keep my 'C' drive free of all my heavy and important software because apart from the fact that it can slow the OS down, if the machine goes pear shaped then I've lost nothing important as it's on other Drives.

I sincerely hope that Daz does not make Download manager the only way to install props and such as I'm sure that will put a lot of people off.

Runtime_Example.JPG
    389 x 504 - 31K
    My_Library_Example.JPG
    383 x 655 - 38K
    Post edited by LeggyBlond on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited May 2015

Have you tried using the Categorize function of DS?
    I let DIM install it in whatever fashion, and then sort the items into the Categories I created, inside of DS. That way, I have everything together they way I want, and still can make the best of DIM updating my content in a second...
    I'm installing on E drive, as my C drive is only 250GB.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • LeggyBlondLeggyBlond Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    Have you tried using the Categorize function of DS?
    I let DIM install it in whatever fashion, and then sort the items into the Categories I created, inside of DS. That way, I have everything together they way I want, and still can make the best of DIM updating my content in a second...
    I'm installing on E drive, as my C drive is only 250GB.

That doesn't work well for me in the way I use Studio. The fact is that with Main software updates I much prefer to download the 'exe' files via my Product Library and for Props, add-ins etc. I simply click open the Zip Folder, drag and drop, check the zip for locations, move and rename accordingly once installed - and by installing that way I can visually watch what's occurring - Mind you, I do have Xplorer2 Pro which makes life a lot simpler.

On top of Download Manager being pain, to compound the aggravation many vendors are packing the 'duf' files in with the Poser Runtime files. No big issue to resolve but simply lazy.

• boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
    edited May 2015

Please be patient with me, I'll try to get all the important information out first so you can help me with more ease.
    1. I've used DIM for several years, for Poser (PP2014) and just downloaded the latest version.
    2. I've struggled with DS for a while ... gave up and have just now downloaded the newest version as of today ... and it works perfectly on it's own. I look forward to learning it.
    3. Now is the problem. The content all downloaded to "my DAZ 3d content" ... but for Poser. I redirected, but know I've made some errors in the process because ...
    4. The Genesis2 figures all say there are one or two "dsf" files are missing.

I hope I've given you enough information for this ... Plus.

How do I redirect future DIM downloads to DS (or Poser as I need them)?
    Thank you for your help.
    Boni

P.S. If this has been answered I'm sorry, I've had a difficult time wading through the thread.

DS_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 333K
    Post edited by boni_m_ab7b32f625 on
    edited December 1969

Zooks said:
    Please be patient with me, I'll try to get all the important information out first so you can help me with more ease.
    1. I've used DIM for several years, for Poser (PP2014) and just downloaded the latest version.
    2. I've struggled with DS for a while ... gave up and have just now downloaded the newest version as of today ... and it works perfectly on it's own. I look forward to learning it.
    3. Now is the problem. The content all downloaded to "my DAZ 3d content" ... but for Poser. I redirected, but know I've made some errors in the process because ...
    4. The Genesis2 figures all say there are one or two "dsf" files are missing.

I hope I've given you enough information for this ... Plus.

How do I redirect future DIM downloads to DS (or Poser as I need them)?
    Thank you for your help.
    Boni

P.S. If this has been answered I'm sorry, I've had a difficult time wading through the thread.

What do you mean by "redirected" under 3)? If you installed to the default location you shouldn't need to change anything for DS - but you will need to make sure you install the DSON core files, it sounds as if you haven't done so for the Genesis 2 starter essentials packs.

edited May 2015

Here is the pop up before the blocky figure comes in. I don't know how to change this to the figure I want.
    I found the proper files ... but not in the path indicated. I don't want to screw something up ... advice please.

DS_2.jpg
    533 x 388 - 38K
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited May 2015

In DIM, is there still something called "Genesis 2 Female Starter Pack" available?
    If yes, you need to install that, or G2 Female will not work.
    The "Starter Packs" contain the basic figures, Genesis, G2Male and G2 Female.

EDIT: Sorry, checked your eralier image and saw you already have that. :-)
    It is possibvle that, as you re-direct Poser content to another directory, the files that are needed for Genesis 2 Female were also directed there.
    DS just knows the default directories. Any other directories, you have to make known to DS.
    Here's how:
    In Edit, go to "Preferences"--> Content Library--> Content Directory Manager.
    There, click on "Poser Formats" and add the Poser directory to DS.
    Hopefully, that will bring back the missing files (and allows you to access all Poser content in DS, too).

Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited May 2015

Sadly, I've already done that. The path shown in the second screen-capture seems to be the culprit, I would copy the .dsf files to where DAZ needs them to be if I knew where that is.

Ah, I have not installed the DSON core files, as I thought I could install the figures directly into DS and avoid the Poser side step. Off to learn now to do this. Thank you! Silly me.

edited May 2015

I hate to be a pill, but I've installed 4 or 5 times, different ways ... and still I come up with yellow triangled exclamation marks and missing .dfs files on a path that doesn't make sense. The images of other assets show up in the smart content ... but doesn't load into the scene. The primary Genesis 2 figures no longer have a thumbnail and only the head shows up in the scene as a series of blocks as before.

I may be beating the proverbial dead horse here ... but I keep thinking there must be a way to install into DS without Poser! I have lights, and other things that I know belong in a different file set. I am just so confused that I keep thinking I'm missing something obvious ... about the content vs. runtime folder or something ... or I need a dual location for DIM ... I'm use to figuring this out and I'm baffled.

edited December 1969

Did you install all files for the various Starter Essentials? Please click the Show Details box in the Install Manager on the ready to Install tab and take a screen shot, then in DAZ Studio go to Edit>Preferences, click the Content Library tab, then the Content Directory Manager button, expand Current, then DAZ Studio Formats and take a screen shot of that.

edited May 2015

Thank you so very much. Here are the two sceen shots. I have a feeling I need to move some files. :)

I need to shut down my computer, but will check in on my tablet this evening for an answer. If you would be so kind as to put a step-by-step I'd appreciate it as I work best that way. If I need a second location for my DIM to install to or just redirect to the "content" folder within the Poser runtime fold I have ... whatever needs to be done, I will do this tomorrow morning. But I will study your instructions if you so choose to post that tonight. I appreciate all the help I can get.
    Boni

DS_4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 405K
    DS_3.jpg
    678 x 674 - 131K
    edited December 1969

OK, there are two fixes, depending on where you want your content and where the files already used in Poser are.

If you don't mind using your C: drive for content - in the Content Directory Manager you need to click on DAZ Studio Formats so it's fully highlighted (instead of the dotted outline around one of your folders as in the screen shot). That should enable the Add button on the left, click it and select the C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library folder.

If you prefer to use the folders you have set up in DS, not the default My DAZ 3D Library folder on the C: drive - in the Install Manger click the gear icon at top-right to open preferences, then click the Installation tab.Click the + button at the bottom-left and select D:/DAZ/Studio/My Library and/or D:/WDC Poser Runtimes/Daz 6. Click Accept. Now in the main Install Manager interface go to the Installed tab and paste this into the filter box, the text box at top-right

path::C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library

That should limit the display to things that have been installed to the unmapped location. Click the master check box, in the bar that says "Products", which should select all of them and click Start Queue. Now the items should appear in the Ready to Install tab if you go there. With the Details box still checked if the button next to Content Path Shortcuts doesn't show the folder on D that you want to use click the button and pick the path, then select some or all of the items and click Start Queue to install them.