Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

yes, e.g.:
    OverrideManifestDir=F:/DAZ Stuff/ManifestFiles

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Thank you Mike for that..hope it helps others too. I will give it a go tomorrow.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Sorry about that Pen I just found out myself about the Manifest folder gets put on C no matter where I put they other stuff. Why can't we choose to put everything is beyond me.

Don't stress Pete...I got everything reinstalled okay...thanks everyone for the help!
    edited December 1969

Thanks Pendraia but it still peeves me I didn't catch that one. :)

Mike thanks for that as soon as I changed \ to / in the paths it worked perfectly.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Can any one advise me as to what to do please?

I have the latest version of Daz Studio installed, but DIM keeps adding Daz Studio 4.6 to the Products list when I start it up. If I tell it to download and install a box pops up asking if I want it to alter the computer etc., I say yes, and then nothing happens. The item is automatically removed from the install list and next time I start up DIM it's back in Products again.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Wendy, not sure what's going on but the answers to these questions may help us figure it out...

Did you (originally) use DIM to install your current version of DS?
    In DIM, if you click the gear icon and go to the Applications tab, does it list the proper version of DS, and at the correct location on your computer?
    Do you have the 32 or 64-bit version installed, and which one is listed in DIM's Download list or Install list? Does it say "Beta?"

Screenshots of these screens in DIM might be helpful too.

• ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288
    edited November 2014

Yes, that's correct. If you prefer, you can set up DIM to automatically delete the installer files (.zip) after installation. Click on the "Ready to Install" tab, and check the box "Delete Installer Once Installed."
    Just wanted to say thanks for this info post a while go. I wondered why the drive I dedicated to my DAZ files was getting so full! Moved all the zip files that had been gathered and freed up a ton of space. I never even noticed that little Delete Once installed box.
    Post edited by ChromaDrake on
  • salmerckersalmercker Posts: 16
    edited December 2014

Here is a strange one for you all to help me figure out. I reformatted my computer (everything was on here before and worked perfectly). I have been tryign for 3 days now to install daz3d 4.7 pro and the install manager. IT REFUSES to install either! keeps saying the daz3d file is corupt and the instal manager downloads but there is NO install it just opens 2 win 32 consoles with nothing in it. I have tried at least 20-30 times on downloading each file but neither is working!

below is a screenshot toshow what was downloaded and what the boxes on both look like

Untitled-1.jpg
    1768 x 992 - 238K
    Post edited by salmercker on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

It look like you may be running a download manager on your browser. DAZ's site doesn't like download managers so if you are using one disable it, clear your browser's cache and try downloading again. Also download first then run the installer, never try to run an installer while trying to download it.

edited December 1969

i wasn't trying to run it while downloading it lol. i left the download screen open to show the download i got. I have tried it with and without the download manager and even tried to download it with IE just a couple minutes ago which has NO download manager or add-on installed to it. Still got the same little boxes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,835
    edited December 1969

What anti-virus or security suite are you using?

edited December 1969

none lol made sure to uninstall it once i started having problems just in case they was causing it to not download correctly.

• jackiddajackidda Posts: 1
    edited December 2014

I actually have a bit of a problem on mines...

I downloaded Genesis Evolution Body Morph, then I try to install it into my computer and then this message appears:

Warning: "Genesis Evolution Body Morphs" is an add-on for "Genesis" and they must be installed in the same location.

Please choose a different install location or install the required products first.

I'm not sure how I would approach this... Any ideas?

BTW I downloaded Starter Essentials.

Post edited by jackidda on
    edited December 1969

jackidda said:
    I actually have a bit of a problem on mines...

I downloaded Genesis Evolution Body Morph, then I try to install it into my computer and then this message appears:

Warning: "Genesis Evolution Body Morphs" is an add-on for "Genesis" and they must be installed in the same location.

Please choose a different install location or install the required products first.

I'm not sure how I would approach this... Any ideas?

BTW I downloaded Starter Essentials.

Just to confirm, by Starter Essentials do you mean Genesis Starter Essentials? There are separate Starter Essentials packages for Genesis and Genesis 2. Did you install it manually, or did you use the Install Manager? Did you install the Evolution morphs manually, or did you use the Install Manager for that?
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,835
    edited December 1969

You shouldn't see that with the current isntaller - it sounds as if you have the old .exe installer.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

I am using version 4.6 and want to upgrade to version 4.7 but I can't seem to get to just download it without first having to use the DIM. I have never bothered with the DIM and don't want to start now. Completely unnecessary.

There used to always be a choice when installing content whether to use DIM or just install manually. Why has this choice been taken away? There doesn't seem to be any way of getting just the install file for version 4.7

edited December 1969

I can find the exe's for DS 4.7 in my Product Library page in my account.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I can find the exe's for DS 4.7 in my Product Library page in my account.

Really? You mean they just put it there whenever they upgrade the software? (even if you haven't 'bought' it)

edited December 1969

so how did you get DS4.6 if you didn't buy it. If you got DS through the DAZ3D store and put it in your cart then yes all upgrades will show in your Product Library Page on your account page.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You can still install content manually if you wish, the files are just zip files. Windows users should use a zip utility other than the one built-in as it has a problem with zips that have 0k length files. Mac users should consult a Mac guru as zip files can be problematic with some earlier Mac OSs. When installing manually extract the files and folders inside the zip's Content folder. Installing plug-in will be difficult if you don't have a good understanding of program file/folder structure the plug-ins are for.

edited December 2014

Szark said:
    so how did you get DS4.6 if you didn't buy it. If you got DS through the DAZ3D store and put it in your cart then yes all upgrades will show in your Product Library Page on your account page.

I did "buy" version 4.6 (even though it was free). So it appeared in "my account"

What I was meaning is that I haven't "bought" 4.7, so I wondered if it would still show up there automatically. it seems so.

You can still install content manually if you wish, the files are just zip files. Windows users should use a zip utility other than the one built-in as it has a problem with zips that have 0k length files. Mac users should consult a Mac guru as zip files can be problematic with some earlier Mac OSs. When installing manually extract the files and folders inside the zip's Content folder. Installing plug-in will be difficult if you don't have a good understanding of program file/folder structure the plug-ins are for.

Thanks for clearing this up

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

Yeah you don't need to buy each version unless otherwise stated by Daz3D.

• holden_attradiesholden_attradies Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to revert all of the installation paths in the installer to the default places? I tried changing them to go to my D hard drive and it didn't work at all, but now I can't figure out where everything SHOULD be going. If there isn't a way can you tell me what everything in the "Instillation" page under settings should be?

edited December 1969

Is there a way to revert all of the installation paths in the installer to the default places? I tried changing them to go to my D hard drive and it didn't work at all, but now I can't figure out where everything SHOULD be going. If there isn't a way can you tell me what everything in the "Instillation" page under settings should be?

The DIM defaults under Windows are:
    64-bit Software: C:/Program Files
    32-bit Software: C:/Program Files (x86)
    Recommended DAZ Studio/Poser Content Folder: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library

• zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 670
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Windows users should use a zip utility other than the one built-in as it has a problem with zips that have 0k length files.

Can somebody recommend a few good zip utilities, then -- for Windows 8 users specifically?
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited February 2015

jestmart said:
    Windows users should use a zip utility other than the one built-in as it has a problem with zips that have 0k length files.

Can somebody recommend a few good zip utilities, then -- for Windows 8 users specifically?
    I use 7-Zip - I've not had any problems with it yet - I'm still Win7 but it apparently supports Win8 and even Win10. See here: http://www.7-zip.org/
    ETA: Actually I've just checked and the version I'm using is quite old now (ver 4.65 while they seem to be up to ver 9.20 now) - so although I hope it still works well, I can't 100% vouch for the latest version working.
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    jestmart said:

I use 7-Zip - I've not had any problems with it yet - I'm still Win7 but it apparently supports Win8 and even Win10. See here: http://www.7-zip.org/
    ETA: Actually I've just checked and the version I'm using is quite old now (ver 4.65 while they seem to be up to ver 9.20 now) - so although I hope it still works well, I can't 100% vouch for the latest version working.

I'm using 9.20 and it works great.

• madmaxneo1madmaxneo1 Posts: 148
    edited April 2015

I downloaded everything and it all seems to be working just fine. Though it is all on my primary drive (C:), I didn't really want it on that drive because it is only a 256gb SSD that is meant primarily for the OS and a few programs. DAZ3d would be fine in this regard except for the loads of extra content I plan on getting (which will fill up that 256gb pretty fast). I'd like to know how to install the whole suite of software onto another one of my drives if possible. I would also need to know how to change the install manager settings for this, though I could probably work without this if necessary.

Bruce

EDIT: If there is a way to change the default content folder from the C my documents that would work even better.
    Thank you

Post edited by madmaxneo1 on
    edited April 2015

The documentation for the Install Manager explains how to set up your download and content installation locations. It is definitely possible to change to locations on another drive.

As far as a custom install location for the DS software itself is concerned, I'm not sure...hopefully someone who has done it will pop in with some advice. Edited to add: one method would be to install the software manually (not through the Install Manager). You can download the installation files from your Product Library: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • madmaxneo1madmaxneo1 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

The documentation for the Install Manager explains how to set up your download and content installation locations. It is definitely possible to change to locations on another drive.

As far as a custom install location for the DS software itself is concerned, I'm not sure...hopefully someone who has done it will pop in with some advice. Edited to add: one method would be to install the software manually (not through the Install Manager). You can download the installation files from your Product Library: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

Thanks, I appreciate this.

Bruce