What do you wish was more popular?

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

So as some people are hopefully aware, what appears in the store is driven mostly by individual PAs deciding to make it. Sometimes PAs make things they really want to make even if it isn't the most popular, but often PAs will at least shuffle through there interests for an overlap with 'will actually sell more than 5 copies.'

And there's really not much a PA can do about that; if something is really not popular, it's really not popular and it's a loss for the PA. Keep in mind that many PAs are relying on some of this income, which is already a bit inconsistent; a few low selling products can really mess up a PA's life.

Again, to reiterate... PAs may totally agree with you that some product would be great, but aren't making it because unfortunately not enough people agree.

So, if you could have a really limited wish, to make some type of product popular enough to be worth making (or making more)... what would it be?

Let's try to focus on positives and not snark on other folks' tastes. I'm sure for everyone wanting more X, someone wants the opposite.

I'll start:

A lot more monsters and weird stuff. Teapot headed people, living chess pieces, really weird aliens, more and more monsters. (Monsters sometimes do ok and a few PAs make great ones, but... MORE ;)

Realistic armors and footwear, particularly for women but also just generally. Particularly for Genesis 8; there's a lot of cool armor through the generations but the more rigid the outfit is supposed to be the worse it is at autofitting.

A LOT more animals (modern, dinosaurs, etc). There are some excellent animals/dinosaurs in the store, I'd just like about 50x as many...

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 2019

Well lets start with the obvious one,

Male clothing

Post edited by scorpio on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

I am with you on the animals, especially dinos

the things I really want are more bigger enviroments that don't kill resources and more current, modern military assets, especially clothing and uniforms

We just need more legit users using DS and buying from the store so that more money is coming in and PAs can take more risks and create those off the beaten path assets that don't usually sell as well.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

MALE STUFF

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 2019

1)  Unrealistic toon, caricature, stylized people, pets, animals, birds, fish, aliens, monsters, props, and environments.  Some great stuff in store, but want more. 

2)  Historic uniforms and other period clothing.  This includes inaccurate styles, but that many of us think are accurate because of the costume choices of old Hollywood.

3)  Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee HD morphs and hi-res textures.  (EDIT - probably not legal if accurate, wouldn't risk it).

Post edited by Diomede on
  • I would like more in the way of anatomical elements. There are 2 major sets, of course, but you can almost always tell which set is used in a render, at least that is how it seems to me. I would love more variety be it more morphs to really change the look on existing products or a new set(s) entirely. I know DAZ is not likely the place that would be sold as it is hard to market what you cannot show but it's at the top of my list.

It would be cool to do some kind of crowdfund campaign for things where people donate and then experienced artists could bid on the project to make the item(s)...wishes

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Dforce clothing with depth.

... Whilst I'm at it, perfectly smooth lines, straight or curved, are completely unrealistic.

... I've started making my own in frustration, and if I could get it submit-worthy, I would. :) I suppose what puts me off is it having to be non-dforce ready, which I find pointless.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121
    Diomede said:

3)  Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee HD morphs and hi-res textures.  (EDIT - probably not legal if accurate, wouldn't risk it).

Star Wars, Hammer or both?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    Gordig said:
    Diomede said:

Star Wars, Hammer or both?

Both!

...aside...

We have started a Hammer-related thread in the Carrara forum, if anyone would like to join the fun.  Play on Carreras/Carrara.  Michael Carreras was a Hammer film executive.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/366431/the-carrara-forum-carreras-appreciation-thread-inspired-by-hammer-films#latest

...now return you to the wish thread...

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333

Going somewhat self-centred and for something that obviously has a rather limited market... but more distinctly British products, particularly service uniforms. While the store has a fair number of American police/firefighter/army uniforms, they look very different and they're not interchangeable if you're creating something that's not supposed to be in the States.

(I will however concede that things are fairly good as far as sets; there are actually a fair few PAs recreating recognisably British-styled buildings and street furniture, but other categories are a bit scarce).

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    edited December 2019

- All props rigged
    - More exterious buildings with interious and not only single rooms
    - A city house with multiple appartments 
    - Detailed feet and morphs (including HD)
    - More male clothes
    - More "rigged" clothes (e.g. a shirts that can be opened and closed)

Post edited by Hurdy3D on
  • I would say male clothing, too, except I don't use G8, so the clothing I want is a non-starter.  Same with the hairs I would like to see.  Therefore, stand-alone monsters/creatures would be something new I would still purchase.  Not the teapot people, though (sorry, Oso :-) )  I would love more mythical and legendary creatures; Redcaps, Banshee, Cockatrice, Kappa, Tengu...

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

A cruise ship. Inside with all rooms as well as outside.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited December 2019
    I would also wish Male clothing were more popular. Also, dforce clothing with more details and/or thickness. And to combine both wishes ... dforce clothing for males that don't look skin-tight.

And a weird wish: I wish PAs get more chances to make what they like and what they love, irrespective of sales. I know this is utter fantasy, and we all understand PAs have to create products that sell. But there might be one thing that PAs really like to create because it's something they love and maybe it happens the thing they love won't sell well. I wish PAs get more chances to make those things anyway ... because usually things PAs live themselves personally tend to be the best. I bought sade's x-mas shader set yesterday and it is one of the best shader sets I've ever seen. The attention to detail is amazing. I was sad to read today that it doesn't sell well but sade loved them and chose to make them anyway and I'm grateful they did and released the product. Now I understand PAs can't always be in the position to have that kind of freedom. I just wish they had more ... and hey, this thread is about wishing, right?

Post edited by Asari on
  • High fashion.. not whatever passes for fashion on here. Good hair. Good makeup. Fashion models.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 2019

A 3DL material option, or even a reassuring comment "easily convertable to use 3DL" since conversion from iray can potentially be a significant obstacle or discouraging increase in workload drudgery vs. just loading and using the content.  Obviously if 3DL doesn't sell then don't do this (and a quick "iray-only" comment in the description would also be helpful given store volumes and product age range overlaps), but if you are able to do so it is appreciated and would have changed my choice of purchases on numerious past occasions already.

Wild and immaginative new ideas (where appropriate).  I'm personally in this hobby for the exciting art, not for an endless stream of slightly modified versions of similar items.  Don't take this the wrong way, please understand my point.  Obviously this wouldn't really apply to vendors/artists who wish to produce contemporary clothing and renders, base human figures, poses, people who want to do portraits or nature scenes or still life or illustration or graphic novels or simply enjoy this aspect and these models.  This is totally ok.  I need and have many of these products and will probably purchase and use many more too and appreciate much of that art as well.  However, when going through a hundred pages of store items, the majority of it seems to average out to a bunch of human figures and clothing and architecture that after a while sort of blend together in the "it's just more fantasy/scifi/modern clothing/buildings; nice, but I have a bunch already" category.  Without having counted, it seems as though there are a very small percentage of products that are significantly outside the box, that are some exicting new groundbreaking idea that I've never seen or thought of before.  There are a few vendors (won't name names or stores) that I think of as "that guy/gal has some really fantastic and unique designs, I can't wait to see what they will come up with next".   It's not just that I like all that vendor's stuff, a lot of it is still average and some of it I don't like, but when they come up with good ideas they stand way out from the pack and nobody else competes, it will be something brand new that you cannot get anywhere else that stimulates the immagination or has a utility that greatly assists in workflow, and they do it repeatedly even if not on every product, they're not just one-hit wonders that got lucky or happened to cross paths with something I wanted by chance.  I wish there were a lot more vendors who were willing to more radically depart from the common bulk of product designs into something new, even if that bulk of product designs are good ones.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • Sport Cars .

Luxury Cars .

• Now that we have dforce strand hair (for PA's anyway) and it seems to look best with animals, more animals for sure! I'd love a rabbit, a zebra for DAZ Horse 2 (and Centaur).

And since Dragonborn and Tieflings are two of the main races for DnD 5th edition, would love to see those figures for G8. There are some horned products that could be used, but I'd love more variety on horns that come from the eyebrow area rather than upper forehead or higher. 

Would also love to see more wuxia content and Chinese fantasy outfits and hair for both females and males.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763

Lots of things, but definitely more male content for my boys. More male hair styles. And more male characters. The world can't be populated totally by women.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Male stuff.

Period clothing.

• Military outfits and gear that looks like the real thing.

But i've kinda given up on hoping that a PA will deliver.  So i ended up buying Substance Painter and Marvelous Designer and try learning how to do it myself. By my estimates my first mil-spec outfit should be completed in 6 years and 9 months.  Until then i'll be dressing up my 3d soldiers in yoga pants, high heels and a fancy blouse.

• GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562
    edited December 2019

Funny toon figures. I have many, all are excellent and most of them looks cinematic/serious man/queen/princess/emotional type. E.g. Toy story characters are funny.

Edit: Almost all are excellent. Few have eyes problem. Cannot look straight.

Post edited by Galaxy on
  • Military outfits and gear that looks like the real thing.

But i've kinda given up on hoping that a PA will deliver.  So i ended up buying Substance Painter and Marvelous Designer and try learning how to do it myself. By my estimates my first mil-spec outfit should be completed in 6 years and 9 months.  Until then i'll be dressing up my 3d soldiers in yoga pants, high heels and a fancy blouse.

Baha...love the estimate, glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read it.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

More youth-appropriate clothing for girls. Which is an odd thing for a pinup artist to want...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 2019

I have a good selection of fairly accurate actual aircraft models, many of them from the store here, but they're all well-known types. How about something less usual or more weird, like the Junkers F 13, the first all-metal transport/passenger plane from right after WW1, or the Lippisch P.13a, which never got off the drawing board, but might have been the first delta-wing supersonic ramjet (and probably the only one ever to be powered by coal...).

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited December 2019

Great idea for a thread! :D 

• More stylized products that aren't specifically geared toward cartoons would be awesome. A lot of characters already work for this, but since most environment sets are geared toward realism it can be hard to get a consistent overall look when blending them in. 
    • Stylized shader presets would be neat too! Like building textures that are painted instead of derived from photos. 
    • It'd be great to see more skin texture sets with weird effects sold independent of characters. I tend to scoop these up whenever I see them. 
    • I'm also firmly in the "more monsters and weird stuff" camp, especially anything that can be customized, kitbashed, or otherwise smooshed together.
    • Urban decay and urban decay accessories! I have some great environments from Stonemason and KindredArts, but I'd love a set of "scrap yard" props with barbed wire, rusty rebar, broken wood planks, etc. I'm also always looking for city/urban ruins stuff that's not specifically cyberpunk or zombie apocalypse. More like neglected infrastructure, abandoned theme parks, general decline. 
    • Varied external architecture, like Gothic and art deco style buildings.  
    • Weird and dramatic fantasy lighting. I own a lot of it. Someday I will own all of it. I collect urban, fantasy, and abstract HDRIs too and I love stuff that can provide a kind of distance backdrop to extend environment sets. Outdoor lighting that's not super realistic would be cool to have--something like the really dramatic, beautifully painted skies in fantasy art or even anime. 

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

I am with you on the animals, especially dinos

the things I really want are more bigger enviroments that don't kill resources and more current, modern military assets, especially clothing and uniforms

We just need more legit users using DS and buying from the store so that more money is coming in and PAs can take more risks and create those off the beaten path assets that don't usually sell as well.

...still waiting on a totally new (I mean fully new) domestic cat that actually bends more like a real cat and can also use strand based or LAMH fur as an option to dForce. It's been what, 15 going on 16 years that we've still been stuck with using the same old MilCat (the new Daz Housecat is just old MilCat with dForce fur, which no longer loads in at the size of a great dane).  

Meanwhile we have seen two dog figures, three dragon figures (four if you count that "sub" thingie), two horse figures, and even two cow figures (three if you count the Low Rez cow).

• Male content
  • mr clammr clam Posts: 707

I'd like to see some nice clam models. Clam 8!

• ReneWReneW Posts: 123

More male hair and clothes.  More new male characters.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 2019

...as to clothing.  More "everyday" styles including "real" work and office clothing for female characters that wouldn't get them sacked for indecency, functional futuristic armour for female characters that didn't leave the upper chest and belly exposed (the two easiest targets to hit), and more new clothing (along with hair) content that is rigged (or has that option) so it can be used in conforming mode.

Oh, and bathrooms that don't have a big picture window in the wall by the tub, as well as a couple "normal" looking city buses (including a "low floor" type which is in common use today) for all those bus stops we have.

Post edited by kyoto kid on