What do you wish was more popular?

Comments

• More critters of all types. Especially dogs. The MilDog had an add-on that had many breeds and/or coats. (Maybe they were 2 separate ad-ons? I got the bundle years ago so don't recall the individual products.) And Dog 8--not counting Oso's amazing fantasy addons--has what? Just 4 breeds and no puppy morphs?

I also want more plain old characters. You know, the kind of character that ISN'T sold in Pro/Starter bundles? Hitoshi Sensei vs. Mr. Woo for example. "Plain old characters" not only cost less than the standalone base characters, they are far more diverse. Speaking of which, a G3/8 She-Freak would be lovely, maybe even with an extra green or other color skin.The newest She-Freak was a V4 morph. 

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884

Going somewhat self-centred and for something that obviously has a rather limited market... but more distinctly British products, particularly service uniforms. While the store has a fair number of American police/firefighter/army uniforms, they look very different and they're not interchangeable if you're creating something that's not supposed to be in the States.

(I will however concede that things are fairly good as far as sets; there are actually a fair few PAs recreating recognisably British-styled buildings and street furniture, but other categories are a bit scarce).

Yep, Dave Brinnen is trying his best :)

But let's start small. Here's a product idea - 'Plug sockets of the world. Make your room look like where YOU live' :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    Novica said:

Wildlife found in back yards and pet stores.   Squirrels      Rabbits       Chipmunks       Deer      Skunk       Fox      Raccoon      Possum    etc. Some of these may already exist, but I want those already with fur, that don't rely on additional products to make they look like they already should.  Rabbits top my list of backyard critters that most people will have. 

For a pet store and therefore in people's homes as pets-   A Ferret      Sugar Glider      Tarantula     A variety of geckos and skinks    and their cages/aquarium setups. 

yes heart smiley

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

chihuahuas. Applehead, deer head, all colors!  Mutts too. Small dogs rock.

yesheartsmiley

• kyoto kid said:

..I'm with TigerAnne when it comes to Rt deco styled content.  

Totally agree re Art Deco and Nouveau, but not only exteriors. Interiors, props, period clothing, hairstyles, etc.

Also re animals, I meant to mention more canines and felines (I'd love lynx, caracal and ocelot), birds (particularly doves) and insects.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 479

Not just more male content, but generic male content.  There aren't many hairstyles that look ordinary.  Most either look like they're meant for a fashion magazine or a manga/fantasy image.  I look for hair that doesn't stand out, that looks decent but also looks like the guy isn't spending a half hour or more on his hair.  Even when I find something close, there's just something off about it, like it still tries to be more than it should.

I know this one's not popular because PAs want to make more money with the expansion packs, but it would be nice if clothing came with a basic white template that you can simply change the diffuse color to make different outfits without too much work.  More often than not, I'll replace the PA's texture with a standard knit texture from my own library and do it myself, but it would be nice if clothing was made more verstile without the extra step.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,345
    edited December 2019
    Haruchai said:

Going somewhat self-centred and for something that obviously has a rather limited market... but more distinctly British products, particularly service uniforms. While the store has a fair number of American police/firefighter/army uniforms, they look very different and they're not interchangeable if you're creating something that's not supposed to be in the States.

(I will however concede that things are fairly good as far as sets; there are actually a fair few PAs recreating recognisably British-styled buildings and street furniture, but other categories are a bit scarce).

Although less prolific, I'd also give mention to KindredArts's sets, which belong very nicely around the UK. (And if Dogz should be listening, I certainly wouldn't say no to an Iray update on the old UK railway stuff...)

Haruchai said:
    But let's start small. Here's a product idea - 'Plug sockets of the world. Make your room look like where YOU live' :)

... actually, I did some time ago model some UK plug sockets, specifically for the exact purpose of British-ising American sets.

I originally did them for a game engine, but as they were modelled in Blender, they could absolutely be re-exported out as OBJs, converted to DS format and have some Iray materials thrown on them...

jjmainor said:
    I know this one's not popular because PAs want to make more money with the expansion packs, but it would be nice if clothing came with a basic white template that you can simply change the diffuse color to make different outfits without too much work.

I once had a particular headache with this when it came to camouflage uniforms, which are deliberately complicated patterns where the details aren't easily painted out with a healing brush; Although the mesh was close enough to substitute for other armies' uniforms, different countries have distinct and recognisable camouflage patterns, so actually sorting it out so the patterns matched was a pain.

Still, the bump map texture did eventually prove a broadly starting point for a new texture, once I'd played around with the brightness and contrast enough; sometimes it's worth looking through the other textures to see if things like the bump or roughness maps have any merits.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684

Great thread. Interesting to read up on everyone's interests and needs! Mine would be: more every day cars, more clothing for the lads (and hair). I also love scripts that make my life easier!

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 674

Braids for women... braids for men,  preferably very long, and fairly thick...Very long straight or wavy hair for females, talking waist length or longer, preferably much longer... More variety in elf ear morphs that stand up close to the head, and don't stick out like donkey ears or WOW/Japanese manga elves... more female fantasy boots that are fully enclosed and don't have stinkin high heels...Maybe a good modular dungeon creation kit that has pieces to build with that you can use to make dungeons, underground complexes and hideouts with, all in just flagstones large block walls and stuff like that, think of the sort of dungeon an adventuring party in D&D would go through.

I know this thread is what do you wish was more popular, but I think with some of us it is just a wish list lol.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    kyoto kid said:

I want to add a nitpicky one that just drives me nuts; seams on clothes.  Modelled in.  Fabric is not endless plastic sheeting, and clothes look far more realistic when it looks like it has been constructed, not vat-grown.  I also like stictches, pleats, tucks, and proper boning, especially in corsets.

..this is why I wish I could afford the latest version of Marvelous Designer.  

The licencing on Mavelous Designer is bonkers.  If they brought in a strictly non-commercial, hobbyist licence for about $75, say, I reckon it would push their installed base well into six figures.  They would lose some of the existing $300 licences but would more than gain on the new users.

Cheers,

Alex.

...yeah I bought in with Ver 2.0 (99$ for the personal licence) upgraded to vVer. 3 and that was the end of the line as they changed their licencing structure after that and it became too expensive for my budget.

mr clam said:

@Griffin Avid

They have butterflies in here: https://www.daz3d.com/wonders-of-nature. Daz also has a few bat options, including a "flock" of them here: https://www.daz3d.com/rdna-scatters-vol-4-bats. Bird flock is here: https://www.daz3d.com/lorez-crow.

...Noggins Ultimate Butterfly Collection was still probably the most accurate. Sadly it is no longer available though the add on texture pack is still for sale.  As this was primarily for Poser, you had to scale the butterflies for use in a scene (sort of like the old MilCat which loaded in at about the size of a great dane).  It also had a "swarm" option (that worked in Poser as it used a python script) but could be used for single frame scenes in Daz.

Haruchai said:

...sounds like a job for Collecvtive3D.  

I love the European Apartment reminds me of older flats here in the States wave for the breaker box and outlets. Part of the reason I have Collective3D's Build a Room expansion as it includes US light switches and outlets.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

I want to add a nitpicky one that just drives me nuts; seams on clothes.  Modelled in.  Fabric is not endless plastic sheeting, and clothes look far more realistic when it looks like it has been constructed, not vat-grown.  I also like stictches, pleats, tucks, and proper boning, especially in corsets.

..this is why I wish I could afford the latest version of Marvelous Designer.  

The licencing on Mavelous Designer is bonkers.  If they brought in a strictly non-commercial, hobbyist licence for about $75, say, I reckon it would push their installed base well into six figures.  They would lose some of the existing $300 licences but would more than gain on the new users.

Cheers,

Alex.

...yeah I bought in with Ver 2.0 (99$ for the personal licence) upgraded to vVer. 3 and that was the end of the line as they changed their licencing structure after that and it became too expensive for my budget.

Wow! $99 is more like it for personal use & freelance use for games & such.

...I just got it to make more everyday clothing for my characters.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353

I echo what kyoto kid said about normal, everyday clothing, both male and female, but especially female. I also would like some more everyday vehicles, and not bizarre six wheeled monstosities or strictly 1950's. The kind of cars, suv's, and trucks you see on the streets, with the quality that Polish vehicles have as to detail and rigging.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    Haruchai said:

Plug sockets, power stirps and matching electrical cords that actually drape natually. It's annoying how many electrical devices sold here either don't have cords, or have something that's a big odd shape of stiff plastic, and how many rooms don't have any power outlets at all.  One can get away with a laptop running on batteries, but not a desktop, let alone a toaster or coffee maker.  At least the standard U.S. Type A and B power outlets aren't hard to fake - a photo of one on a plane with a moderate bump or displacement map.is easy to throw together.  Those French and German Type Fs would definitely require modeling for both the plugs and the recepticles.  Oh, and toss in an empty light socket as well.   You can't do "how many insert your preferred plural noun here does it take to screw in a light bulb" jokes without one.         . 

• I'd really like a ponytail for female characters which is attached at the base, rather than half the way up the rear of the head, but without fashionable accessories attached to it, so that it could be used for female military characters. Especially if the length could be morphed to different lengths.

Have also been wanting an Iray shader which allows us to transform any surface into HR Giger-like testures. If it comes with irregular shapes, so that we could apply the shader and intersect them into walls, it would allow us to convert our own unique covered-by-alien-resin scenes inside existing sci-fi sets.

Also, a selection of forearm and shoulder-mounted blades and energy weapons, 'Predator'-style. Something which would allow warriors of the future to do what they need hands-free, instead of holding physically something to use it. Would very much love someone to be inspired by the forearm blades in the 'Bloodrayne' games, because I'e been wanting to render my own version of Rayne, but alas!

Same for an array of robotic limbs with optional weapons and tools we can intermatch on them. Some creators have given us prosthetic limbs, but surprisingly nothing for military or cybernetic assassin-like characters! I loved Parris Bot Armour sets for Genesis 2, but they never got updated for later generations and, thus, no Iray. There are great cybernetic characters and suits out there now, some of which even make joints look properly mechanical instead of rubbery/bendy, but many of those for female characters are too heavily sexualised with things which draw attention to T & A (which shouldn't even exist on them; some of us just want to give robot characters a female face for psychological interaction purposes and nothing else).

Hair based on that of Selene, from the first 'Underworld' film, would be excellent, too.

And can we please have a generic (made for any figure) G8F/G8M vampire face morph! The FWSA Vampire Expansion product was the last one to properly give us a facial forehead crest shape for 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' undeads! It's pretty much the final hurdle for making G8 vampires as good as G3 ones can easily be. The person who puts this in the store will make it the go-to product for any G8-and-horror renders.

Speaking of which, somethign which allows us to place mouths on the ends of G8F/G8M tongues? Preferably a shaping morph or geografted thing. All sorts of options could exist for this, from 'Alien'-style to 'The Strain', along with ring-mouth and mosquito-like stabbing protrusions. It would instantly transform any existing or future monster character into something even more deadly.

Something else which has yet to be catered for would be an array of tails. I don't personally have a sue for the furry variety, but reptilian, mollusc, insectoid and, especially, robotic tails.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

I ADORED Bot Genesis and the second one, and would love someone to do one for G8. Seconded.

• mr clam said: @Griffin Avid    They have butterflies in here: https://www.daz3d.com/wonders-of-nature. Daz also has a few bat options, including a "flock" of them here: https://www.daz3d.com/rdna-scatters-vol-4-bats. Bird flock is here: https://www.daz3d.com/lorez-crow.

It gets annoying how many times I want something, search the store and see no results and then ask ... and the suggestions are all products I already own.

I must remember to NOT use the store for an inventory guide.

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,009

I would like more ordinary clothes, particularly for men, including younger styles of sweaters and cardigans; also worn, damaged clothes, frayed materials.

Vehicles with a right hand drive option: buy those for sure.

Still hoping for Dogz to do school uniform for Genesis 8 (in time for Christmas).

More libraries with realistic books.

Old-fashioned stuffed toys.

• More spaceships in the vein of "Starship Astra" by Petipas. There are a number here of that nature and I now have them all. Also ships like seen in Instellar and also like 2001 the movie.

Perhaps astronaut suits of a more recent future type like what will be used on Mars, eg. The Martian movie, the Mars series on NatGeo.

I would love to see a real decent Battlestar Galactica for DS. A detailed Star Wars Star Destroyer and similar; I have seen a number of stunning models of such at Art Station.

Airships.... a detailed Hindenburg.

A SF ship bridge like the one in the first Alien movie.

I will add more ideas later.

• For SF again...

It would be great if there were components for a spaceport on a planet surface..... perhaps this could be a project of a number of vendors. Utility vehicles, fuel trucks, buildings, hangers, etc.

Also, period clothing, Renaissance, Byzantine...... 

• Yes. Victorian and Edwardian clothing would be great.

• Novica said:

Wildlife found in back yards and pet stores.   Squirrels      Rabbits       Chipmunks       Deer      Skunk       Fox      Raccoon      Possum    etc. Some of these may already exist, but I want those already with fur, that don't rely on additional products to make they look like they already should.  Rabbits top my list of backyard critters that most people will have. 

For a pet store and therefore in people's homes as pets-   A Ferret      Sugar Glider      Tarantula     A variety of geckos and skinks    and their cages/aquarium setups. 

we've  had ferrets for neary 30 years --  I'll second that if they're good ferrets.

Also a veterinary clinic .. 

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565

I'd really like a ponytail for female characters which is attached at the base, rather than half the way up the rear of the head, but without fashionable accessories attached to it, so that it could be used for female military characters. Especially if the length could be morphed to different lengths.

Been really waiting for something like this, hair all drawn tightly back for one (military) G8F character and tail low down, and for another G8F character a hair roughly like the old Midnight Prince Hair but to modern hair standards (tied into a tail at the nape of the neck, but with long bangs framing the face)..

And some other wants:

For PAs making boots/shoes/trainers/hiking boots etc with laces to actually finish the laces off, not just have them mysteriously vanish at the top (which automatically stops me buying them, whereas I will often buy a whole clothing set just for good footwear I want). With a morph for the laces tied and untied would be good.

Female fantasy and sci-fo outfits that are otherwise reasonable 'action' outfits to come with practical footwear instead of or as well as the ridiculous spike heeled boots many come with. (Long spike heels or platform boots and no practical footwear = lost sale to me.)

Practical female fantasy/historical  adventure outfits that do not have a bare abdomen (the most feared wound was a belly wound that almost always meant dying slowly and in agony from peritonitis before modern medicine and antibiotics - if you could only have one piece of protection it was for the abdomen) but that ALSO don't involve a corset.

A decent female leather motorcycle jacket that can be opened and closed but which comes down below her pants belt rather than stopping halfway or all the way to her diaphragm. (Honestly, there are many female motorcycle jackets, but they are ALL short apart from one that doesn't open ... and the matching open one from the same PA barely comes down to her sternum. Grrrr.)

Leather jackets, both male and female, with POCKETS. Just the angled slit type is fine. There are a ridiculous number of jackets with no pockets = automatic no sale to me.

Some relaxed, comfy, jeans for G8F to go with the current large number of spray-on skin-tight ones.

A historical/fantasy type sleeveless, below hip, open fronted leather jerkin, for both male and female figures, that just hangs loose and open and does NOT have a wide sash and two leather belts over it tying it closed the way all the ones for all the figures currently in the store do.

A snow leopard for the DAZ Big Cat 2.

As others have asked for, some proper military uniforms with all associated gear for both male and female figures - like the old D3D ACU and ICE expansion packs and the matching Marine Corps ones for M4 and V4, but they are very low poly and low rez. Like that, but for G8F and G8M and higher detail.

A good, detailed AKMS (that's the one with the underfolding wire stock) and AK74M (with sidefolding stock). Every Kalashnikov making PA makes AK47s, but virtually all the AKs one actually sees on the news or in films and TV shows that aren't modern AK74s are actually AKMs, not AK47s (they stopped making the AK47 and switched to the AKM in 1959), and I reckon I've seen far more AKMS with the underfolding buttstock than fixed stock ones. There is, finally, an AK47S is that gunshop package, but it's a low detail small part of a big pack AND it's an AK47S, not AKMS. Will somebody, anybody PLEASE make a decent AKMS - THE most commonly seen 'Kalashnikov' variant on small or big screen.

And my biggest gripe, the thing in the DAZ store that has me tearing more of my remaining hair out at than anything else  - can we PLEASE have some sci-fi weapons where the creator has learnt  at least a little about and thought at least a little about what makes a practical weapon. I mean I know Star Trek from the movies and TNG on has ridiculous, unusable weapons (oddly TOS phasers actually have a weapon sight system, although in the whole run of episodes it was only glimpsed deployed in two scenes, but still if you added a trigger guard to the type 2 TOS phaser it is the only phaser design that someone could actually fire accurately), but come on - PLEASE give us a choice of weapons that are actually believably usable (given functioning caseless ammo or gauss/laser/blaster/disrupter/whatever tech). Currently most of the pistol/rifle type scifi weapons in the store are just truly awful. Many are severely un-ergonomic, with grips at very wrong angles (clue - modern handguns have he grips at the angle they do for serious ergonomic reasons that will not change just because it is a scifi setting (unless you are going to presume, and appropriately morph the DAZ figures' hands to reflect, evolutionary or genetic engineered change in human hand shape), and often just hard edged grips that would be terrible to hold (whereas the current move is towards molded ergonomic grips). And the weapons need some kind of SIGHTING system - so will the PA who keeps sticking power pack/bottles ON TOP of the weapon body please STOP because they are right in the way of even adding a sight onto the weapons. And ... just a bit of basic thought about how the weapon is supposed to work, PLEASE. The one that really takes the biscuit is the short but large calibre automatic pistol in one sci-fi pistol pack where the magazine is in front of the trigger guard ... with the front of the magazine flush with the front of the barrel ... so that a round feeding up from the magazine pops into the FRONT of the (tiny) barrel, with no breech in front of it to feed into, and no barrel to accelerate down as the front of the bullet is already at the front of the barrel! Sheesh. Look, if you are a PA making firearms, even - especially - scifi firearms, please either learn the basics of firearm design and why things are the way they are, or consult with someone who knows. (I'm happy to critique weapon design for the price of a free one when it's done.) It doesn't matter what weird thing the weapon is supposed to fire, human anatomy requires certain things of handguns and shoulder arms for a human to actually be able to hit anything with them. And if it has cartridges and bullets, the round has to be able to get from the magazine into a breech and still have a barrel to accelerate down, and ditto gauss/rail guns.

edited December 2019

...aww but I like the retro Sci-Fi rayguns. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Male stuff definitely.

• Anything that looks like it came from a Miyasaki movie. Especially anime render style/shaders like that. Or looks like RWBY (was done in Poser with lots of proprietary additions). Newest version of 3Delight is supposed to have been used to create a show on Netflix in an anime shader style.
  • andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 2019
    Oso3D said:

I ADORED Bot Genesis and the second one, and would love someone to do one for G8. Seconded.

I'd like one that looked identical the original Aikobot A3.

Post edited by andolaurina on
  • More historical and ethnic clothing. No more skimpy fantasy clothes. More ethnic characters. Maltese dog. <3