A well a bird bird flew off with my complaint thread

1444546474850»

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

whoo else is awake? :)

i haz to get up for work in 3 hours. wahh :ohh: bone gnomes in my toes, yowch. majorly sucks, sigh.

Wuz watching the sunset :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...most GPUs these days come with a fan (sometimes two)l. My i7 came with a CPU cooler as well. Just that on top of these, I have the additional six fans in the case (as well as a lot of internal "breathing space") which gives it extreme cooling power without having to resort to an exotic liquid cooling system.

...and the beauty is, it's whisper quiet. The cooling pad for my notebook is louder.

Yeah, mine was quiet once. But I found out that fans with ball bearings last much longer than the quite types. And they aren't that noisy. After replacing the same fans a couple of times, I asked about it and that's what my tech guy told me. They are only a little bit more expensive, but last a lot longer.

My mind is on the upgrade path right now. I need to get some money up for the move. I just hate the thought of reinstalling everything. I have a lot of everything. And I don't like the thought of having to pay for Windows all over again if I make the move to a better mother board, so the OEM version is out of the question. I just don't know if I want to go with 7 or 8.1. I really don't like what I see of 8.1. But if it is more stable and faster than 7, maybe that's the way to go. At least you have the start button and desktop with 8.1.

Dana

...for the notebook, the OEM version would be fine as I don't see ever changing the MB on it. That would save me a few more Zlotys. Getting the additional HDD to back everything up on is another issue as I'll need at least a 250 - 300GB of space (I don't think they even make them that small anymore). I have an old powered enclosure with a fan which I never used as the drive I was going to put in it became the runtime drive for the workstation. Most 1TB drives run about 60 - 70$ (and I have to make sure it is XP compatible). Add to that 99$ for the WIn7 32 OEM, and that's a lot of zł to scrape up on my budget.

So do you know anything about the Microsoft "Instant Upgrade" for Win7 Home to Pro (this would be for the workstation so I can increase the memory in it)?

Sorry, no...I know almost nothing about this stuff, just what I read here or on other forums or the MS site. I don't know why you would purchase Win 7 Home and then upgrade to Pro, I would think that would not be as cost efficient as just getting the upgrade to 7 Pro right from the start. I doubt they'll give it to you for free. :-P Let me know if they do, free is a good price.

Dana
    ...it was an economic thing. When I first started the project, I had a coupon for a free upgrade to Win7 Home Premium 64 from the copy of Vista 64 that I had previously purchased. At the time Win7 Pro was really expensive (something like 399$) and the coupon wasn't valid for that particular level of upgrade. I literally built this system on the proverbial shoestring, purchasing components when I could afford them. My running joke is that it was sort of like the Cadillac in the old Johnny Cash song, "One Piece at a Time"

When I purchased the memory, 24GB was well over 600$, Shoot, the 12G kit cost me 340$ (and that was a "deal" back then). At the time I felt 12G would be enough, but after seeing several render files hit 10G in size, I began to feel that 24G was becoming more of a necessity.

I'm sure there will be some sort of price, I just wish they'd be up front and let you know what it was before committing to the online update. I don't like what I call "mystery pricing".

edited December 1969

...well looks like the region east of the Mississippi or Australia will win the thread again.

After 03:00 here and my brain hurts from all this update talk, an odd issue I ran into tonight with posing (that I finally gave up on and posted on the N & B forum), and dealing with our local transit system's latest gaffe.

Nite all.

...The They Threw Bus Service Under the Bus Complaint Thread.
    ...The Crikey It's Cold and Going to Snow Tomorrow Complaint Thread
    ...The My Computer Needs a Tinfoil Hat Complaint Thread

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    I have a question. Does anybody know if Windows 7 Pro can read drives that were formatted in XP? I don't know if they totally changed the drive formatting again or not. And if they did, did they retain backward compatibility with drives from older systems?

Dana

The NTFS file system should read/write for all windows platforms since WinNT and read only for Mac OSX FAT file system should read/write up to a size limit ( IDK what that is ) since DOS and read/write up to (?) 2GB for Mac OSX

Thanks. I searched online and found one forum where someone posted that they could link to installed applications on the XP secondary drives and run them, apparently without reinstallation. I wonder if this is true. If so that would be great. I think I have to visit my tech guy and ask some questions. If this is true, I would just buy a new drive and put Windows 7 Pro on that.

Dana

It would depend on the application - if it required support DLLs that went in the windows folder (at least on XP) then it wouldn't be true. If it needed services or helpers that started with Windows it wouldn't be true. If it needed settings in the registry or in the user profile then it wouldn't be true, unless it could recreate them in their absence. Any file associations would certainly be lost. Some applications are more-or-less portable, and would work that way, some aren't, and wouldn't.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 2013

iz Friday iz Friday ha cha cha

Frosty is the fastest belly ... something ... in the world. :down: old age moment, can't remember what Frosty the snowman was best at.

tomorrow is Saturday. rah rah rah
    still haven't rendered most of my pa sale aquisitions.

Rule of aquisitions #1, render before 30 days gone by, doh
    iz funny Quark's brother, Nog?, earned Quarks respect when he was gonna throw Quark out the airlock.

Deep space station safety tip, stand faaaar away from the airlocks.

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

Happy Finnish Independence Day!

Snowflakes for Portland.

brr brr shvrr, dropping degrees and avg degreeperhour,dph

131206.png
    330 x 306 - 26K
    Capture.JPG
    659 x 701 - 70K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I wonder where M F M is too. I wonder where Blondie9999 is. She used to visit the forums frequently before Daz upgraded the forums.

edited December 1969

transiberian orchestra ohyeah. mm mm la la dudududud christmas in Sarajevo.

my bus last night crawled in traffic, mann am i glad i didn't need a connecting bus. turns out it was due to a 4 car accident.

brewing up some hazelnut coffee, take some of the brr out of the shvrrr :)

edited December 1969

I wonder where M F M is too. I wonder where Blondie9999 is. She used to visit the forums frequently before Daz upgraded the forums.

upgrade? ... :grrr: lol

edited December 1969

Daz activated the new forum on May 17, 2012. FAQ for the New Forums

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Oh my, you've been busy! Nice stuff, too!

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    I have a question. Does anybody know if Windows 7 Pro can read drives that were formatted in XP? I don't know if they totally changed the drive formatting again or not. And if they did, did they retain backward compatibility with drives from older systems?

Dana

The NTFS file system should read/write for all windows platforms since WinNT and read only for Mac OSX FAT file system should read/write up to a size limit ( IDK what that is ) since DOS and read/write up to (?) 2GB for Mac OSX

Thanks. I searched online and found one forum where someone posted that they could link to installed applications on the XP secondary drives and run them, apparently without reinstallation. I wonder if this is true. If so that would be great. I think I have to visit my tech guy and ask some questions. If this is true, I would just buy a new drive and put Windows 7 Pro on that.

Dana

It would depend on the application - if it required support DLLs that went in the windows folder (at least on XP) then it wouldn't be true. If it needed services or helpers that started with Windows it wouldn't be true. If it needed settings in the registry or in the user profile then it wouldn't be true, unless it could recreate them in their absence. Any file associations would certainly be lost. Some applications are more-or-less portable, and would work that way, some aren't, and wouldn't.

Sounds like it's mostly - no. That's kind of what I thought, anyway. Thanks.

Dana

edited December 1969

I think she was chuckling that this was called an "upgrade".

Dana

edited December 2013

DanaTA said:

I think she was chuckling that this was called an "upgrade".

Dana
    Yep, Starionwolf, the word "upgrade" normally infers an improvement has been made, which in terms of the Forums is debatable.
    It has taken quite a while, but I'm fairly pleased with the way the Forums are currently working. :)
    @Dana: Thanks for the praise! Appreciated.

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 2013

Last page before the split.
    Get your last licks in now. :lol:
    The New, Improved Complaint Thread (Well. New Anyway)

Post edited by TJohn on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Wow, didn't even notice it was that far along

edited December 2013

I could have sworn this thread was on page 96 or 97 yesterday evening Mountain/Daz time.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

oh no we are on page 100! Where are my push pins?

edited December 1969

The Can't Find Anything When You Need It Complaint Thread.

Dana

edited December 1969

I am getting a new roommate soon, maybe today. I am not sure.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

It just started snowing here and it looks like a white out. We had sleet and freezing rain overnight. It's be getting colder all day

edited December 1969

tjohn said:

...nice. Have yet to submit anything as most of what I have been doing is for challenges and cannot be posted elsewhere.
    edited December 1969

upgrade? ... :grrr: lol
    ...+1

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Last page before the split.
    Get your last licks in now. :lol:
    The New, Improved Complaint Thread (Well. New Anyway)
    taste_the_rainbow.jpg
    424 x 600 - 44K
    edited December 2013

I feel sick. I think people are talking about me.

edit:I thought no double posting is allowed on page 100

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited December 2013

Frank0314 said:
    It just started snowing here and it looks like a white out. We had sleet and freezing rain overnight. It's be getting colder all day

...yeah a dusting of snow here. the ground has been so cold the last few days that it didn't melt on contact like it usually does here. Looked a lot like back in Wisconsin.

Of course I open my inbox to see the transit system sent out an alert about delays. Sheesh it's a dusting, a flurry, not even a quarter inch and they go into total panic mode here. As there was also wind, most of it was blowing off the streets anyway.

At least they didn't chain all the buses up like they sometimes do. I remember one time there was a threat of snow and all we got a similar dusting, yet all the buses had chains on making the ride totally unbearable while grinding the bare streets up in the process.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

It keeps raining here. But they said something about snow in the 7 day forecast.

The Threat of Snow Complaint Thread.

Dana

edited December 2013

I feel sick. I think people are talking about me.

edit:I thought no double posting is allowed on page 100

...all my posts were responses from previous posts.

I usually have to play catchup in the morning as I am on the West coast and 2 - 3 hours behind everyone else.

New thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33600/

Post edited by frank0314 on
This discussion has been closed.