A well a bird bird flew off with my complaint thread

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,093
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    mann i'm really sick of the john and yoko christmas song.

not feeling christmassy, and it's only 21 days away. wouldn't mind some new year's champagne :) i like the frexeinet.

...riding home last night I couldn't believe how many people already have their holiday displays up. Yesterday was only the 2nd.

Speaking of holiday tunes, was talking with a friend yesterday about holiday travel and last she mentioned one time she was stuck on a plane that was forced to wait on the tarmac for a while sitting in the middle seat between two fairly hefty fellows one of whom was stuffing a goopy sandwich into his pie hole. To make her experience even more unbearable, on the plane's main vidsceen, they kept looping one of the Mannheim Steamroller holiday songs alternating with Michael Bolton singing White Christmas over, and over, and over.

...and people wonder why I don't like to fly during the holidays.

The MS I could handle, but Bolton is aural hell. :shut:

Bolton isn't that bad. And I really liked his version of Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay. OK, maybe that's the only one I can think of that I like. But I've heard much worse. That New Age stuff bores me to death, or nearly. I like sax, and jazz, but not so much Kenny Gee I'm Boring. :-P

Dana

Dana

hmmm a team up of Bolton and KGee?
    ...wonderful. have my pasta on the stove and just lost my appetite.

May as well throw in Yanni, WIlliam Ackerman and Jeff Oster and make a quintet out of it.

throw in Weird Al Yankovic :)

Oh, come on! Weird Al is great! I love his parodies!

Dana

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    I feel like it is difficult to get a job too.

...the job market where I live seems to be terribly polarised between high level professional, medical, and tech jobs (which I don't have the schooling and/or certification for) on one end, and low paying service occupations (which I am "overqualified" for) on the other, with very little left in the middle anymore (which is pretty much where I fit in).

Then there's the whole age thing where a lot of companies choose to hire someone younger because they know they can pay them less and sidestep any discrimination issue by simply claiming the younger candidate had more "relevant" experience, qualifications, and education. The only way to challenge this is filing a civil suit against the employer, and of you managed to win, would you really feel comfortable going to work everyday knowing your boss and the management had a chip on their shoulders?

I see what you are saying. It is sad that the job conditions are like that there.

I have problem that I have lots of school loan debt but no degree to show for it.

Totally depressing.

i don't have a finished degree either. 15 years ago i did the CNE and MCSE certifications. it helped.
    it prolly won't help now though. MCSE for Windows NT and Novell 4 isn't going to impress the job marketeers.

are dayjobs on WIndows 8 yet? i can't put it on my resume, never used it.

I doubt very many...maybe one or two per state. :lol: It's not exactly a business OS, not in my opinion.

Dana

edited December 1969

complaint:
    excel is giving me a hard time. trying to copy paste formula cells, but excel updates the references and i don't want it to. >:-(

Isn't there a Paste Special... option that lets you choose what to paste?

Dana

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 2013

Nice Christmas tree.

I thought I posted a reply before lunch but I guess I the forum ate my post.

I would upgrade Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit but Windows 7 is expensive. My dad bought this computer in 2006 a few months before Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit) came out. The AMD processor is a 64-bit processor that can run a 64 bit operating system.

Ok, I'm going back to job hunting. Someone looking for an mechanical engineer called me. I was like, "Excuse me, I have a degree in business, not physics or mechanics."

edited for clarity.

edit 2: Hmm, the upgrade to Windows 8 upgrade is cheaper than the upgrade to Windows 7. Gah, I forgot that Windows 8 is out. Nevermind. :lol:

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,738
    edited December 1969

I think I told my boy friend I will marry him in 2015.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    complaint:
    excel is giving me a hard time. trying to copy paste formula cells, but excel updates the references and i don't want it to. >:-(

Dana

i tried all of the paste options. none of em is the formulas as is.

if i paste a cell with forumla from one spreadsheet file to another, it changes the reference with a path to the original file. yeeeesh.i'm now copying one cell at a time into notepad and then pasting the notepad txt tp excel. it's preeeeposterous.

grumble grumble

edited December 1969

you proposed to him? congrats! :)

edited December 1969

Cute. :)

I just found out that my video card and Daz Studio are compatible with Windows 8. Yah. Now I just need to save some money for the OS and a new hard drive.

edited December 1969

well he sort of proposed to me but it is not official. I do not consider it official until I get the ring. but he did ask when I would like the wedding to be and I said October 2015. It was a conversation we had over facebook. He also asked for my ring size but I do not know how to find that out.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    edited December 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

...the job market where I live seems to be terribly polarised between high level professional, medical, and tech jobs (which I don't have the schooling and/or certification for) on one end, and low paying service occupations (which I am "overqualified" for) on the other, with very little left in the middle anymore (which is pretty much where I fit in).

Then there's the whole age thing where a lot of companies choose to hire someone younger because they know they can pay them less and sidestep any discrimination issue by simply claiming the younger candidate had more "relevant" experience, qualifications, and education. The only way to challenge this is filing a civil suit against the employer, and of you managed to win, would you really feel comfortable going to work everyday knowing your boss and the management had a chip on their shoulders?

I see what you are saying. It is sad that the job conditions are like that there.

I have problem that I have lots of school loan debt but no degree to show for it.
    ...using the "real" unemployment rate (based not just on people who filed UC claims but also on those who have become discouraged and stopped looking, are underemployed, exhausted their benefits, or were denied benefits) the Oregon is actually worse off than Michigan right now.

What makes it harder is the cost of living in Portland is relatively high, particularly for housing, rents, and transportation thanks to gentrification, upscale development, an imposed urban growth boundary, no rent controls, which is all working to squeeze the hard working low and middle income wage earners out. For example the rent for flat I used to live in a few years after moving here is almost triple what I originally paid.

Had the same issue. My loan was close to being paid off before I was laid off in March.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,435
    edited December 2013

well he sort of proposed to me but it is not official. I do not consider it official until I get the ring. but he did ask when I would like the wedding to be and I said October 2015. It was a conversation we had over facebook. He also asked for my ring size but I do not know how to find that out.

Does he live in town with you?

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Does he live in town with you?

Not yet, he is planing on moving to be in the same town as me, but he is still trying to figure out the details.

edited December 1969

I am in Raleigh and he is in Richmond.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    mann i'm really sick of the john and yoko christmas song.

not feeling christmassy, and it's only 21 days away. wouldn't mind some new year's champagne :) i like the frexeinet.

...riding home last night I couldn't believe how many people already have their holiday displays up. Yesterday was only the 2nd.

Speaking of holiday tunes, was talking with a friend yesterday about holiday travel and last she mentioned one time she was stuck on a plane that was forced to wait on the tarmac for a while sitting in the middle seat between two fairly hefty fellows one of whom was stuffing a goopy sandwich into his pie hole. To make her experience even more unbearable, on the plane's main vidsceen, they kept looping one of the Mannheim Steamroller holiday songs alternating with Michael Bolton singing White Christmas over, and over, and over.

...and people wonder why I don't like to fly during the holidays.

The MS I could handle, but Bolton is aural hell. :shut:

Bolton isn't that bad. And I really liked his version of Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay. OK, maybe that's the only one I can think of that I like. But I've heard much worse. That New Age stuff bores me to death, or nearly. I like sax, and jazz, but not so much Kenny Gee I'm Boring. :-P

Dana

Dana

hmmm a team up of Bolton and KGee?
    ...wonderful. have my pasta on the stove and just lost my appetite.

May as well throw in Yanni, WIlliam Ackerman and Jeff Oster and make a quintet out of it.

throw in Weird Al Yankovic :)
    ....but he's funny, and his songs actually sound different from each other.

I usually spell Yanni's name "Yawn-ni".

edited December 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

Totally depressing.

i don't have a finished degree either. 15 years ago i did the CNE and MCSE certifications. it helped.
    it prolly won't help now though. MCSE for Windows NT and Novell 4 isn't going to impress the job marketeers.

...does anyone still use Novell?

Many businesses are surprisingly still on XP though making the shift to Win7 as support for XP will cease in January.

edited December 1969

What is Novell?

edited December 1969

Nice Christmas tree.

I would upgrade Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit but Windows 7 is expensive. My dad bought this computer in 2006 a few months before Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit) came out. The AMD processor is a 64-bit processor that can run a 64 bit operating system.

Ok, I'm going back to job hunting. Someone looking for an mechanical engineer called me. I was like, "Excuse me, I have a degree in business, not physics or mechanics."

edited for clarity.

edit 2: Hmm, the upgrade to Windows 8 upgrade is cheaper than the upgrade to Windows 7. Gah, I forgot that Windows 8 is out. Nevermind. :lol:

...once you have a steady income I would still consider saving for a quad core system that has more memory. I find it opens up so much more of what this software can do.

I hear you on job referrals that don't fit one's background (my post from yesterday). I've tagged my resume as viewable only to employers I submit applications to as i was getting a lot of contacts for insurance and other commission sales positions.flooding my inbox. Trust me, I am not the salesperson type.

Yeah seems with Win8 out Win7 had become a legacy OS so they ratchet up the price on upgrades for it. I'm looking at anywhere between 129$ and 199$ just to upgrade from WIn7 Premium to win7 Pro which I would need to do if I doubled the memory of my system. I also now need to consider win7 32 for my notebook (it only has a 32 bit CPU) to mimnimise the risk of malware infection once XP support ends. Sad because XP has been a real workhorse.

edited December 2013

cats in the cradle silver spoon lil boy blue man on the moon - radio plays this song everyday.

i swear it's the saddest song i ever heard. it's basically a life turned into one long regret.

asked the guys if we could listen to the news station.

anxiety starting, scared, going home is like a daily trauma, i'm so weak a person, some things i just can't face.

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

What is Novell?

the 90s corporate networking s/w. ridiculous seat licensing fees. MS underpriced them into oblivion. iz how i remember it, anyhoo.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,435
    edited December 2013

It is unusually warm today. 54F gonna be like that tomorrow to then fall back to the 20's-30's

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

I am wondering where my ride is. I thought they would send in someone to look for me or call my number to let me know they are outside.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2013

cats in the cradle silver spoon lil boy blue man on the moon - radio plays this song everyday. i swear it's the saddest song i ever heard. it's basically a life turned into one long regret . . . i'm so weak a person, some things i just can't face.

I don't like sad songs, and in the fandoms I'm spoiler-philic because I want to know about the angsty stuff so I can pick if / when to see it (I still haven't seen the end of Children of Earth, and may never . . . nor do I admit the existence of Highlander TS's sixth season). It's not weakness -- taking care of your emotional health's just simple common sense, or should be.

Then again, sometimes I cope by rendering. :coolsmirk:

Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

What is Novell?

I remember seeing some articles and job postings about Novell Netware in the 1990s. Ok, I'm showing my age. lol

edited December 1969

Nice Christmas tree.

edited for clarity.

I don't think either has an upgrade from XP, though.

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    complaint:

Dana

i tried all of the paste options. none of em is the formulas as is.

if i paste a cell with forumla from one spreadsheet file to another, it changes the reference with a path to the original file. yeeeesh.i'm now copying one cell at a time into notepad and then pasting the notepad txt tp excel. it's preeeeposterous.

grumble grumble

Why not just paste it into the new spreadsheet and then edit the reference? It's not that difficult. You can point it to the cell you want. Are you copying a different formula each time, or a column of cells with the same formula except the reference pointers?

Dana

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Totally depressing.

...does anyone still use Novell?

Many businesses are surprisingly still on XP though making the shift to Win7 as support for XP will cease in January.

Now it's January? Just two weeks ago I read that it was March, then February. Before you know it, it will be just before Christmas...and I'm scr....err, scratching my head. :red:

Dana

edited December 2013

DanaTA said:
    Nice Christmas tree.

edited for clarity.

Dana
    ...there are still upgrades to Win7 from XP, but a mentioned are expensive in comparison. The reason why an upgrade is preferable to a full version of the OS is because one doesn't need to wipe the HD and reinstall everything all over again.

For my workstation I do have the "Anytime Upgrade" option, however they don't mention what it costs beforehand.

edited December 2013

DanaTA said:

Dana

No; I'll need to install Windows 8 on a new hard drive. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP - Microsoft Tutorials

Bah, installing Windows 8 into my current XP computer might more of a hassle than I thought. I'll just build my own computer with a quad-core CPU like Kyoto Kid suggested. The new computer will have 8 GB of DDR3 memory instead of DDR1 memory.

and before I forget.. I ran a computer benchmark and found that an Intel Duo 2 E7xx running at 2.5 GHz is twice as fast as my current computer.

Intel LGA 775 vs AMD 939 socket. wow

ok, bye

edited for clarity like 3 times

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. Cool here but sunny and warming up so far today :)

edited December 1969

Morning. Looks like you posted in the middle of some technical computer discussions. :-)

This discussion has been closed.