A well a bird bird flew off with my complaint thread

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

y'know, sometimes the direct approach is best. i went in and asked.

Manager here approved the contract renewal. so far so good. not actually submitted yet. don't know how long the approval chain of command is.

and i'm seeing an extra 25 cents in this week's pay stub, i usually have to sign something when they give me the extra 25 cents, don't understand what changed.

anyhoo. back to the pita spreadsheet. it'll be easier to work on knowing it won't be my last :)

Real good news yay :)

• HastyDaveHastyDave Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    I just logged in to answer your question.

For the video card that I want (7850), the resolution is:

DisplayPort 1.2: 4096x2160 @ 60 Hz per display

HDMI: 4096x2160 @ 30 Hz

Dual-link DVI with HDCP: 2560x1600

VGA: 2048x1536

But I only have a 15 inch monitor set to 1024 x 768. lol

Ok, I'm going to eat lunch now. Bye

wwoww :bug: :) they've come a long way since the 1920x1080 days.

Yeah, but at only 30 Hz refresh rate, video will be choppy. Even old standard television video was 60 Hz.

Dana

That comparison is a little misleading. Those old TVs may have been refreshing at 60Hz, but frames were interlaced; that is, only half the picture was changed with each refresh - alternating between the odd and even scan lines - so you actually got 30 full frames per second. The 30Hz figure given above for the HDMI resolution is for progressive video, which is a full frame each refresh, so it works out as the same number of frames per second.

Only relevant if you're planning on getting a 4K display anyway...

edited December 1969

I feel like taking a nap but I also feel like I have been sleeping most of the time.

I'm a little bleary eyed today. At least the telephone stopped ringing, peace and quiet is goood :)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...same here trying to recover from that cold I've been dealing with.

Hopes that is better for you by now :) Is sunny here, I left my sunglasses somewhere...

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

The Technobabble Complaint Thread
    :)

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 2013

Green alien lady dancing in Star Wars: The Old Republic. This game uses 300 MB of video memory with low quality settings and shaders. I can't wait to see how much video RAM it will use on my new computer with the quality set to high. :ohh:

Sorry for the jagged lines but this is the best screenshot I could get. I had to crop abd resize the image because the camera was far away.

star_wars_1.jpg
    563 x 600 - 77K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    my dream case, 15 years ago, was the coolmaster stainless steel, lol

...here's what my system is in.

extra cooling fan? :)

edited December 1969

another round of klah veggie soup for everyone to chase away the lingering schniftflesz

edited December 2013

Green alien lady dancing in Star Wars: The Old Republic. This game uses 300 MB of video memory with low quality settings and shaders. I can't wait to see how much video RAM it will use on my new computer with the quality set to high. :ohh:

Sorry for the jagged lines but this is the best screenshot I could get. I had to crop abd resize the image because the camera was far away.

Oh no sorries necessary she looks like she is enjoying herself :)

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...The I'm Sick of Being Sick Complaint Thread
    ...The Hey Brother Can You Spare A Dime Complaint Thread
    ...The Lifestyles of the Poor and Unemployed Complaint Thread
    ...The Fear and Loathing in Stumptown Complaint Thread
    ...The MS Don't Take My WinXP Away Complaint Thread
    ...The Weather Outside is Frightful Complaint Thread
    ...The Where are the Christmas Police Complaint Thread"
    ...The Loachless Complaint Thread Complaint Thread

edited December 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

Yes that one on the side is right by The GPU. All totalled, six fans in the case alone each with a filter screen. Then I have one on the PSU, one on the GPU itself and a big aftermarket cooler with one on the CPU.

...and there are provisions for two more fans one by the HDD bays and another in the rear of the case.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

oh so sleeepy. grumpy, doc, snoozy

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

HastyDave said:
    DanaTA said:
    I just logged in to answer your question.

For the video card that I want (7850), the resolution is:

DisplayPort 1.2: 4096x2160 @ 60 Hz per display

HDMI: 4096x2160 @ 30 Hz

Dual-link DVI with HDCP: 2560x1600

VGA: 2048x1536

But I only have a 15 inch monitor set to 1024 x 768. lol

Ok, I'm going to eat lunch now. Bye

wwoww :bug: :) they've come a long way since the 1920x1080 days.

Yeah, but at only 30 Hz refresh rate, video will be choppy. Even old standard television video was 60 Hz.

Dana

That comparison is a little misleading. Those old TVs may have been refreshing at 60Hz, but frames were interlaced; that is, only half the picture was changed with each refresh - alternating between the odd and even scan lines - so you actually got 30 full frames per second. The 30Hz figure given above for the HDMI resolution is for progressive video, which is a full frame each refresh, so it works out as the same number of frames per second.

Only relevant if you're planning on getting a 4K display anyway...

I haven't looked at HD quality video cards recently. No sense getting depressed, I can't afford them anyway. But, the better 1080p teelvisions have at least 120 Hz refresh rates. The Sharp Aquos 70" has 240 Hz. And believe me, you can see the difference side-by-side. More and more video online is starting to come in at HD resolutions. Unless there is not much fast action, it gets choppy below 120 Hz. It's probably even more important when you throw in 3D video. Of course, there isn't a lot of that available yet. An LED television and an LED monitor are basically the same thing, without the tuner. And in fact, some monitors double as HD televisions now, too. So I'd imagine the same must apply to both.

Forget about the 4K displays! They're too expensive for now. They'll come down eventually, all electronics come down when there is a larger chunk of consumers buying them. I can't even afford that Sharp. In fact, I still am watching my Sony 41" rear projection TV that I bought in 1998. At least it has an S-Video input, which makes it still look pretty good.

Dana

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Yes that one on the side is right by The GPU. All totalled, six fans in the case alone each with a filter screen. Then I have one on the PSU, one on the GPU itself and a big aftermarket cooler with one on the CPU.

...and there are provisions for two more fans one by the HDD bays and another in the rear of the case.

Boy am I out of it. PSU? I know what CPU and GPU are.

Dana

edited December 1969

...Power Supply Unit.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...Power Supply Unit.

Oh. I never considered that, as in my experience they always have a fan...stating so would seem to be stating the obvious. Sorry.

Dana

edited December 1969

...most GPUs these days come with a fan (sometimes two)l. My i7 came with a CPU cooler as well. Just that on top of these, I have the additional six fans in the case (as well as a lot of internal "breathing space") which gives it extreme cooling power without having to resort to an exotic liquid cooling system.

...and the beauty is, it's whisper quiet. The cooling pad for my notebook is louder.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I saw a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 that has three fans. It needs a 6-pin and an 8-pin power connection. wow

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...most GPUs these days come with a fan (sometimes two)l. My i7 came with a CPU cooler as well. Just that on top of these, I have the additional six fans in the case (as well as a lot of internal "breathing space") which gives it extreme cooling power without having to resort to an exotic liquid cooling system.

...and the beauty is, it's whisper quiet. The cooling pad for my notebook is louder.

Yeah, mine was quiet once. But I found out that fans with ball bearings last much longer than the quite types. And they aren't that noisy. After replacing the same fans a couple of times, I asked about it and that's what my tech guy told me. They are only a little bit more expensive, but last a lot longer.

My mind is on the upgrade path right now. I need to get some money up for the move. I just hate the thought of reinstalling everything. I have a lot of everything. And I don't like the thought of having to pay for Windows all over again if I make the move to a better mother board, so the OEM version is out of the question. I just don't know if I want to go with 7 or 8.1. I really don't like what I see of 8.1. But if it is more stable and faster than 7, maybe that's the way to go. At least you have the start button and desktop with 8.1.

Dana

edited December 1969

I saw a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 that has three fans. It needs a 6-pin and an 8-pin power connection. wow

My NVidia GeForce 9500 GT has a Gig of RAM! I think it only has one fan, though. I have a Lian Li case. It's big. I have three hard drives, two DVD writers, a 3.5" floppy and a boatload of USB connections. And there is room for more! I have to put in the firewire card I have. My old motherboard had firewire built-in. But the new one doesn't have it. That's what my Panasonic miniDV camcorder uses, and I have a bunch of tapes I want to put on DVD. I hate doing hardware, though. And I tried it once and the cutouts were preventing the cable from seating all the way onto the socket. I have to cut the back a little, with tin snips I guess. I didn't have that problem with the old motherboard, I guess there's something different about the way the socket was positioned.

Dana

edited December 1969

I have a question. Does anybody know if Windows 7 Pro can read drives that were formatted in XP? I don't know if they totally changed the drive formatting again or not. And if they did, did they retain backward compatibility with drives from older systems?

Dana

edited December 2013

DanaTA said:
    I have a question. Does anybody know if Windows 7 Pro can read drives that were formatted in XP? I don't know if they totally changed the drive formatting again or not. And if they did, did they retain backward compatibility with drives from older systems?

Dana

The NTFS file system should read/write for all windows platforms since WinNT and read only for Mac OSX FAT file system should read/write up to a size limit ( IDK what that is ) since DOS and read/write up to (?) 2GB for Mac OSX

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

Didn't go down the IK path for the animation in the end, was causing brain-ache trying to work out where IK targets should sit. But think I nailed the thumb thing anyhooo

V2.jpg
    1229 x 550 - 42K
    V1.jpg
    1229 x 550 - 44K
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Yeah, mine was quiet once. But I found out that fans with ball bearings last much longer than the quite types. And they aren't that noisy. After replacing the same fans a couple of times, I asked about it and that's what my tech guy told me. They are only a little bit more expensive, but last a lot longer.

My mind is on the upgrade path right now. I need to get some money up for the move. I just hate the thought of reinstalling everything. I have a lot of everything. And I don't like the thought of having to pay for Windows all over again if I make the move to a better mother board, so the OEM version is out of the question. I just don't know if I want to go with 7 or 8.1. I really don't like what I see of 8.1. But if it is more stable and faster than 7, maybe that's the way to go. At least you have the start button and desktop with 8.1.

Dana
    ...for the notebook, the OEM version would be fine as I don't see ever changing the MB on it. That would save me a few more Zlotys. Getting the additional HDD to back everything up on is another issue as I'll need at least a 250 - 300GB of space (I don't think they even make them that small anymore). I have an old powered enclosure with a fan which I never used as the drive I was going to put in it became the runtime drive for the workstation. Most 1TB drives run about 60 - 70$ (and I have to make sure it is XP compatible). Add to that 99$ for the WIn7 32 OEM, and that's a lot of zł to scrape up on my budget.

So do you know anything about the Microsoft "Instant Upgrade" for Win7 Home to Pro (this would be for the workstation so I can increase the memory in it)?

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

The NTFS file system should read/write for all windows platforms since WinNT and read only for Mac OSX FAT file system should read/write up to a size limit ( IDK what that is ) since DOS and read/write up to (?) 2GB for Mac OSX

Thanks. I searched online and found one forum where someone posted that they could link to installed applications on the XP secondary drives and run them, apparently without reinstallation. I wonder if this is true. If so that would be great. I think I have to visit my tech guy and ask some questions. If this is true, I would just buy a new drive and put Windows 7 Pro on that.

Dana

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Dana

...for the notebook, the OEM version would be fine as I don't see ever changing the MB on it. That would save me a few more Zlotys. Getting the additional HDD to back everything up on is another issue as I'll need at least a 250 - 300GB of space (I don't think they even make them that small anymore). I have an old powered enclosure with a fan which I never used as the drive I was going to put in it became the runtime drive for the workstation. Most 1TB drives run about 60 - 70$ (and I have to make sure it is XP compatible). Add to that 99$ for the WIn7 32 OEM, and that's a lot of zł to scrape up on my budget.

So do you know anything about the Microsoft "Instant Upgrade" for Win7 Home to Pro (this would be for the workstation so I can increase the memory in it)?

Sorry, no...I know almost nothing about this stuff, just what I read here or on other forums or the MS site. I don't know why you would purchase Win 7 Home and then upgrade to Pro, I would think that would not be as cost efficient as just getting the upgrade to 7 Pro right from the start. I doubt they'll give it to you for free. :-P Let me know if they do, free is a good price.

Dana

edited December 1969

whoo else is awake? :)

i haz to get up for work in 3 hours. wahh :ohh: bone gnomes in my toes, yowch. majorly sucks, sigh.

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Didn't go down the IK path for the animation in the end, was causing brain-ache trying to work out where IK targets should sit. But think I nailed the thumb thing anyhooo

iz classical ambience !

edited December 1969

hmm? these aren't the droids your looking for? helmet scr'ch

droids.jpg
    500 x 393 - 36K
    edited December 1969

Funny.

Well, I'll be heading to bed shortly. Don't you have to work in the morning? Good luck!

Dana

This discussion has been closed.