A well a bird bird flew off with my complaint thread

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 2013

Morning. Looks like you posted in the middle of some technical computer discussions. :-)

Um yes, haz sorry nao :)

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,387
    edited December 2013

We had the windows and door open all day. I change into shorts cause it was pretty warm in the house and now It's getting cold out and I need long pants again. It says it's still 51F out but it sure feels colder than that. I wish the weather would make up its mind what it wants to do

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Nice Christmas tree.

I thought I posted a reply before lunch but I guess I the forum ate my post.

I would upgrade Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit but Windows 7 is expensive. My dad bought this computer in 2006 a few months before Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit) came out. The AMD processor is a 64-bit processor that can run a 64 bit operating system.

Ok, I'm going back to job hunting. Someone looking for an mechanical engineer called me. I was like, "Excuse me, I have a degree in business, not physics or mechanics."

edited for clarity.

edit 2: Hmm, the upgrade to Windows 8 upgrade is cheaper than the upgrade to Windows 7. Gah, I forgot that Windows 8 is out. Nevermind. :lol:

I don't think either has an upgrade from XP, though.

Dana

...there are still upgrades to Win7 from XP, but a mentioned are expensive in comparison. The reason why an upgrade is preferable to a full version of the OS is because one doesn't need to wipe the HD and reinstall everything all over again.

For my workstation I do have the "Anytime Upgrade" option, however they don't mention what it costs beforehand.

My understanding has been that you cannot do an upgrade from XP to 7. This is now confirmed by going to the MS site and ask. The Answer clearly states:

To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.

A custom installation is more complex, and it can sometimes take a couple of hours to complete. We created this five-step tutorial to help guide you through the entire process each step of the way.
    What you need

An external hard disk. You'll need to move your files off of your PC before you install Windows 7. To make this easier, we recommend a free download called Windows Easy Transfer, which will require an external hard disk. They're readily available at electronics and office supply stores, and they provide an easy way to add additional storage space to your computer.

The original installation discs or setup files for the programs that you want to use with Windows 7. You'll need to reinstall your programs by hand after installing Windows 7. When you run Windows Easy Transfer you will get a report that lists the programs that you are currently using with Windows XP.

That's what I'm facing, though. I don't want my system to be fodder for the hackers.

Dana

edited December 1969

Good morning Ps1borg!

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 2013

DanaTA said:

Dana

No; I'll need to install Windows 8 on a new hard drive. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP - Microsoft Tutorials

Bah, installing Windows 8 into my current XP computer might more of a hassle than I thought. I'll just build my own computer with a quad-core CPU like Kyoto Kid suggested. The new computer will have 8 GB of DDR3 memory instead of DDR1 memory.

and before I forget.. I ran a computer benchmark and found that an Intel Duo 2 E7xx running at 2.5 GHz is twice as fast as my current computer.

Intel LGA 775 vs AMD 939 socket. wow

ok, bye

edited for clarity like 3 times
    ...actually, you can get 12GB or memory for around 130$ This will give you tri channel mode which evenly distributes the load over all the sticks rather than cascading from one to another (more efficient).

Hard to find MB's with the old LGA775 socket anymore. Mine which has the LGA 1366 is now "legacy " hardware as well and thus difficult to find save for a few server boards (which are very expensive). For Intel you'd be best with an LGA1155 as many under 200$ and can support up to 32G of memory (dual channel).

.For AMD CPUs the prices are low enough you should be able to afford a quad core

Not familiar with AMD specs, so not sure which type of MB/socket you'd need (for example don't know what "Hudson D4" means), but from what I see most are priced around or below 100$ and also support a maximum of 32GB DDR3.

The only issue with AMD CPUs is, unlike the i7s, they are non-hyperthreading. so you are limited to instead of 8 processing threads The i7 also has a wider "pipeline" between the CPU and memory (effectively faster render times). However, if cost is the issue (the lowest price for an I7 I saw was 289$ save for a few which were "out of stock"), then an AMD Quad core is probably the better choice particularly over an Intel duo core (for one thing you get a larger CPU cache). AMD does have an 8 core 4gHz CPU, but it costs 199$.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 2013

made it home. bubby is comfy.

cookin up some bacon cheddar burgers, and dessert, :lol: you'll never guess what dessert is - tee hee

i've gone carnivore.

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Morning. Looks like you posted in the middle of some technical computer discussions. :-)

\*sets aside technobabble*/

Mornin.

birds chirping in the garden?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

No; I'll need to install Windows 8 on a new hard drive. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP - Microsoft Tutorials

Bah, installing Windows 8 into my current XP computer might more of a hassle than I thought. I'll just build my own computer with a quad-core CPU like Kyoto Kid suggested. The new computer will have 8 GB of DDR3 memory instead of DDR1 memory.

and before I forget.. I ran a computer benchmark and found that an Intel Duo 2 E7xx running at 2.5 GHz is twice as fast as my current computer.

ok, bye

...actually, you can get 12GB or memory for around 130$ This will give you tri channel mode which evenly distributes the load over all the sticks rather than cascading from one to another (more efficient).

Hard to find MB's with the old LGA775 socket anymore. Mine which has the LGA 1366 is now "legacy " hardware as well and thus difficult to find save for a few server boards (which are very expensive). For Intel you'd be best with an LGA1155 as many under 200$ and can support up to 32G of memory (dual channel).

.For AMD CPUs the prices are low enough you should be able to afford a quad core

Not familiar with AMD specs, so not sure which type of MB/socket you'd need (for example don't know what "Hudson D4" means), but from what I see most are priced around or below 100$ and also support a maximum of 32GB DDR3.

The only issue with AMD CPUs is, unlike the i7s, they are non-hyperthreading. so you are limited to instead of 8 processing threads The i7 also has a wider "pipeline" between the CPU and memory (effectively faster render times). However, if cost is the issue (the lowest price for an I7 I saw was 289$ save for a few which were "out of stock"), then an AMD Quad core is probably the better choice particularly over an Intel duo core (for one thing you get a larger CPU cache). AMD does have an 8 core 4gHz CPU, but it costs 199$.

12 gigs! :bug:

edited December 1969

that spirit of punk choo-choo looks cute. hesitating, hoping it has poser core files >,>

say, whatever happened to MFM? hasn't been by for a visit in long time.

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

\*sets aside technobabble*/

Mornin.

birds chirping in the garden?

A bit stormy here today, I see little brown birds kinda hiding out of the wind and peeking out from under bushes :)

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Good morning Ps1borg!

Dana

*waves* :)

edited December 1969

cookin up some bacon cheddar burgers, and dessert, :lol: you'll never guess what dessert is - tee hee

i've gone carnivore.

chocolate cake ? :lol:

edited December 1969

that spirit of punk choo-choo looks cute. hesitating, hoping it has poser core files >,>

Yes I got that it has a poser installer :) MFM prolly busy hey :)

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    We had the windows and door open all day. I change into shorts cause it was pretty warm in the house and now It's getting cold out and I need long pants again. It says it's still 51F out but it sure feels colder than that. I wish the weather would make up its mind what it wants to do

Hehe a big storm blew in here from the South pole, it has been snowing further inland, go figure :lol:

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

i've gone carnivore.

chocolate cake ? :lol:

yumma. starting on my 3rd hot dutch apple pie ala mode %-P

edited December 1969

mmm, could go for an old fashioned diner malted milk shake. ... and ovaltine haz vitamins. ? i haz no idea what the malted comes from or if it can be home made.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

cats in the cradle silver spoon lil boy blue man on the moon - radio plays this song everyday. i swear it's the saddest song i ever heard. it's basically a life turned into one long regret . . . i'm so weak a person, some things i just can't face.

I don't like sad songs, and in the fandoms I'm spoiler-philic because I want to know about the angsty stuff so I can pick if / when to see it (I still haven't seen the end of Children of Earth, and may never . . . nor do I admit the existence of Highlander TS's sixth season). It's not weakness -- taking care of your emotional health's just simple common sense, or should be.

Then again, sometimes I cope by rendering. :coolsmirk:

I'll admit to loving one very sad song: Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia".

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

Skiriki is M.I.A too. :down:

edited December 2013

tjohn said:
    ps1borg said:

Skiriki is M.I.A too. :down:

she's been posting msgs on her DA page. Spyro too. well, last week anyways.

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

yayy choo choo.

next i need to parent on some kind of passenger section. and it gets attacked by beastie minions, will need degrees of clawed damage.

ow leg is falling asleep, can't move, bubby resting his head on my leg.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    cats in the cradle silver spoon lil boy blue man on the moon - radio plays this song everyday. i swear it's the saddest song i ever heard. it's basically a life turned into one long regret . . . i'm so weak a person, some things i just can't face.

I don't like sad songs, and in the fandoms I'm spoiler-philic because I want to know about the angsty stuff so I can pick if / when to see it (I still haven't seen the end of Children of Earth, and may never . . . nor do I admit the existence of Highlander TS's sixth season). It's not weakness -- taking care of your emotional health's just simple common sense, or should be.

Then again, sometimes I cope by rendering. :coolsmirk:

I'll admit to loving one very sad song: Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia".

hmm, cope mechanism, huhhh, i need one of those

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I am using a spreadsheet program. Yay.

Here is spreadsheet showing the estimated cost of my new computer. I know I am forgetting something. I already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Libre_office.jpg
    329 x 383 - 55K
    edited December 1969

can't hold my eyes open another wink. sleepy nite-nite zzzzz

edited December 1969

can't hold my eyes open another wink. sleepy nite-nite zzzzz
    nitey-nite.jpg
    540 x 418 - 80K
    edited December 1969

Here is spreadsheet showing the estimated cost of my new computer. I know I am forgetting something. I already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor.

You should go with a better power supply. It's better to have a little too much capacity than find out you don't have enough for something you want to add on later.

Dana

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

You should go with a better power supply. It's better to have a little too much capacity than find out you don't have enough for something you want to add on later.

Dana+1. Power will cripple a PC if the system is getting just enough in normal mode but NEEDS more under load. The rule of thumb is 20% Wattage OVER total system use at LOAD, as the safe minimum to keep things from going POOF.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Nice Christmas tree.

I would upgrade Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit but Windows 7 is expensive. My dad bought this computer in 2006 a few months before Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit) came out. The AMD processor is a 64-bit processor that can run a 64 bit operating system.

Ok, I'm going back to job hunting. Someone looking for an mechanical engineer called me. I was like, "Excuse me, I have a degree in business, not physics or mechanics."

edited for clarity.

edit 2: Hmm, the upgrade to Windows 8 upgrade is cheaper than the upgrade to Windows 7. Gah, I forgot that Windows 8 is out. Nevermind. :lol:

Dana

...there are still upgrades to Win7 from XP, but a mentioned are expensive in comparison. The reason why an upgrade is preferable to a full version of the OS is because one doesn't need to wipe the HD and reinstall everything all over again.

For my workstation I do have the "Anytime Upgrade" option, however they don't mention what it costs beforehand.

My understanding has been that you cannot do an upgrade from XP to 7. This is now confirmed by going to the MS site and ask. The Answer clearly states:

To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.

A custom installation is more complex, and it can sometimes take a couple of hours to complete. We created this five-step tutorial to help guide you through the entire process each step of the way.
    What you need

An external hard disk. You'll need to move your files off of your PC before you install Windows 7. To make this easier, we recommend a free download called Windows Easy Transfer, which will require an external hard disk. They're readily available at electronics and office supply stores, and they provide an easy way to add additional storage space to your computer.

The original installation discs or setup files for the programs that you want to use with Windows 7. You'll need to reinstall your programs by hand after installing Windows 7. When you run Windows Easy Transfer you will get a report that lists the programs that you are currently using with Windows XP.

That's what I'm facing, though. I don't want my system to be fodder for the hackers.

Dana
    ..that bites. I don't have a spare HD just laying around to use for backing up everything. I can't afford one at this point. So it appears as of 01.01.14, my notebook is toast even though it still works perfectly fine. Absolute rubbish if you ask me. I wish these people didn't assume everyone earns a nice cushy salary.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

ok, bye

12 gigs! :bug:
    ...yeah when I bought the 12 G for my workstation, it was over 300$. Memory is really cheap now.

edited December 1969

...looks good. One place I wouldn't scrimp is the PSU. I am running a 750W PSU on my system which rarely if ever gets taxed. I would consider a 700- 750 w PSU if you have future plans to expand.

Also again you can get 12GB memory for about 25 - 30$ more than you have allocated for 8GB. I've had scenes take up nearly 10GB while rendering and that is just with 3Delight.

My base advice, design your system for future upgrades.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Nice Christmas tree.

edited for clarity.

Dana

What you need

Dana
    ..that bites. I don't have a spare HD just laying around to use for backing up everything. I can't afford one at this point. So it appears as of 01.01.14, my notebook is toast even though it still works perfectly fine. Absolute rubbish if you ask me. I wish these people didn't assume everyone earns a nice cushy salary.

I suppose you could put some version of Linux on it to play with. I understand there's a good Windows emulator for Linux called Wine. It would work until you could afford to upgrade. Or you could keep the notebook offline, and use the desktop for browsing and downloading. A WiFi card would probably be less expensive, then you could go online with the desktop. Of course, the router probably has an Ethernet connection, anyway, maybe even a gigabit port. Your desktop is pretty new, it might even have a gigabit Ethernet connection built in.

Just some food for thought.

Dana

This discussion has been closed.