Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• I had a hard time trying the DAZ Install Manager and I was not impressed.

It started to download and install everything without asking me what and where I wanted to install. It can't be changed or stopped while working. Result: a full C drive.

"Not good for everyone" is too euphemistic for this behavior.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Yes this is something DAZ did to it a few years back before SSD drives became so popular for the main C: drive.  Please send your complaint to DAZ so maybe in the future they will fix (or un-fix depending on how you look at it) DIM.  When you run DIM next check the Work Offline box and then un-install everything.  Open Preferences, the little cog icon to set everything to your liking then install al over again.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I had a hard time trying the DAZ Install Manager and I was not impressed.

It started to download and install everything without asking me what and where I wanted to install. It can't be changed or stopped while working. Result: a full C drive.

"Not good for everyone" is too euphemistic for this behavior.

I did a clean install on my Win 7 laptop recently with version 1.2.0.6, 64-bit, and DIM did not immediately start downloading anything.

So the questions to the community become:

• What version of DIM?
    • What operating system, Win or Mac?
    • What version of operating system?
    • 64-bit or 32-bit?
    • First time install?
    • Previously installed, but uninstalled first for a "clean" install?
    • And finally, did DIM automatically start installing content?

If some of us are experiencing the automatic downloads, and some of us are not, if we can isolate why by looking at aggregate experiences, we'll have something concrete to tell tech support.

In the meantime, I'll uninstall DIM/DS on the laptop, clean the registry, and reinstall. See if I can duplicate my experience. (Or verify yours.)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Okay. I uninstalled the Daz Studio/DIM files I had on the laptop. I deleted all of the assorted log and ini files, and any files previously downloaded. (Don't worry, there weren't many.) I used CCleaner to remove all traces of Daz Studio/DIM from the Windows registry.

I then reinstalled DIM from the install file for v1.2.0.6. After install, I allowed the Setup to open DIM. Upon providing my Credentials and clicking on the Start button, DIM contacted the server, downloaded a list all of my files, which it then displayed in the Ready to Download tab. DIM did not start downloading and installing any other programs or content automatically.

I have several thousands of files, and when I log on, it takes DIM quite some time to sync with the servers and check for updates to that content before it allows me access to the tabs and listed files. Every time I log in, this syncing process is done automatically. Is it possible, @kerikalman, that what you experienced was this syncing process?

It is true the default location for the manifest files, (those files DIM uses to keep track of your content and the status of the various product files,) is in the Public Documents folder. However, these are small text files, (I have 7704 Manifest files on this computer, for a total of 212MB,) and shouldn't take up a lot of room on your hard drive.

Regardless, @kerikalman, if you would like to try installing Daz Install Manager with support and downloaded files to a different drive, I may be able to help you. Please feel free to PM me.

• I've been trying for ages to properly install Daz studio entirely onto an alternate drive. I don't want Daz on my main C: drive in any way. I have/had a completely separate drive exclusively to use with Daz and associated products only. Yet, every time I try to download and install it. It still throws a bunch of daz studio files onto my main drive, and often times products I try to install continue to slip into my main C: drive, even though I have all the install folders set to the separate drive. And even in doing so, products will often become a garbled mess that often times cause errors because the product sees there's something daz related installed on the main C: drive, but the bulk of the product is installed onto the separate drive...And no matter how many times I try to completely wipe the drive to start fresh and redownload and reinstall Daz directly into the separate drive things continue to screw up. When installing Daz, whether it's via the Install manager or downloading the program directly. It always asks to install it onto the C: drive only. There needs to be an install option where there's a dropdown box during installation allowing you to choose specific drives you wish to install Daz and all the associated files onto..All this mix/match wish/wash of files is so very frustrating. 

• Please post scree shots of the Installation tab of Install Manager's settings (the gear icon at top-right of the main window) and of the Content Directory Manager in DS, showing the current paths (Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager).

• Hi , I tried using DIM to re-install daz on a new better laptop , all the downloads fail instantly in DIM so I have been trying to do a manual install while I wait for a reply to a ticket I submitted . I downloaded daz studio fine and can run the program . next on the list is default resources for daz studio 4.9 . I downloaded and unzipped to the desktop but where do I put the folder called "content" . I have looked around but cannot find anything that says a specific place to put the files . I recall seeing a guide that said not to unzip into the daz folder in program files and not to copy the entire content folder someplace but that still does not answer my question of where to actually put the contents of this folder

• The Content folder in the zip is a placeholder for whatever you use as your content diectory - e.g. the My Daz 3d Library folder in Public docuemnts or the /Daz 3D/Studio/My Library folder in your own Docuemnts folder (the defaults). So you take the things in the Content folder and place them in the content diectory you wish to use, whatever it is called.

• The Content folder in the zip is a placeholder for whatever you use as your content diectory - e.g. the My Daz 3d Library folder in Public docuemnts or the /Daz 3D/Studio/My Library folder in your own Docuemnts folder (the defaults). So you take the things in the Content folder and place them in the content diectory you wish to use, whatever it is called.

thank you so much !!

I can get content to load through the program now . laugh

• All of a sudden DIM is not working on my Windows 10-64 machine.  It attempts to open showing the icon in the Windows Taskbar but that's it!!!  Nothing happens and the only eway I can close the program is to use the Windows Task Manager...  Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what are the steps to resolve it?  Where is the log file located in case ineed to submit this to DAZ??

Thanks.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133

You shoould find the DIM log file here: C:\Users\[your-user-name]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager - I'm on Windows 7 not 10, but I don't think this would have moved.

• OK, so i looked at the log - thanks to Melaniel's guidance - and nothing seems amiss...  However DIM still remains the same and will run but not show on my Windows desktop!  It only shows as running in Task Manager and in the Windows Taskbar.  Again, has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior?

Note: have tried running it from both the DIM Desktop Shortcut as well as running it from it's original location and both result the same...

Any idea what might be going on?  I hate to have to reinstall it all over again.  If I do should i save the current settings and manifest so DIM will not attempt to show all of my content all over again??  Resulting in my having to rehide all of the content previously installed by both DIM as well as DAZ Connect...

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me.

• HHUUKKHHUUKK Posts: 0

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I downloaded Daz Studio 64bits. It was installed without problems, but when I ran it for the first time it gave me an error. Can somebody help me?

• First time user, install problems.

Computer: Win10, i7, 32GB Ram

DAZ Studio: The latest version 4.11, via Install Manager

1) First attempt: Install Manager

Boy, that took a while. Got a lot of stuff ok but some gave a highly informative error message "Install failed!". No explanation or reason or anything. (See the attached image.) You could click them and try to install again, with the same results. Unfortunately, some of these failed components were pretty central - like the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials.

2) Running DAZ Studio

Oh, DAZ Studio runs ok. And I can access and use the content that was installed successfully. Even better, I could use the runtime downloader to fecth and install most of the missing content that couldn't be installed from the Install Manager. But still no luck with Genesis 8 Starter Essentials.sad

3) Direct file copying

Next I tried to figure out the program directory structure. I found the library directory easily enough, and since I already had the install zips for the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials, I simply manually copied the content from the zip files to the relevant library subdirectories. Then I launched DAZ again. Lo and behold, now I can access the Genesis 8 Starter male and female figures all right - but I still can't give them any clothes. I get the list of wearables for G8 figures but trying to double-click them I get a "failed to load" error message. So obviously this was not the correct way to go about it either...

What to do now?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

InstallError.jpg
    1397 x 1030 - 252K
  • This is a brief tutorial designed to guide you through the process of getting ready to use DAZ Studio and its content.

This is intended for people who currently do not have DAZ Studio 4, or any DAZ 3D content, installed on their computer (in other words, you’re either new to DAZ Studio, or you’re using a new computer, or you’ve uninstalled everything in order to start from scratch).*

*If this doesn’t describe you because you do have the software, or some DAZ 3D content, installed on your computer, then please keep in mind that things may not work exactly the same way for you...some steps may not apply to you, and there may be additional steps that this tutorial does not cover.

How To Order DAZ Studio from the DAZ 3D store (it’s currently being offered free of charge)

1. Create an account, if you don't have one yet.
    2. Follow this link: http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4-pro/
    2. Click the green “Add to Cart” button
    - If you see a gray “Purchased” button instead, you may have already done this
    3. Click the “My Cart” link at the top of the screen and complete the check-out process.
    4. When you finish checking out, you should see a confirmation screen that says “Your order was successful.” Click the link for the DAZ Install Manager (but don’t download it yet...read on).

About The DAZ Install Manager

- Read the information on the page about the DAZ Install Manager and decide if you would like to use it, or if you would prefer to download and install your content manually. I like using the DAZ Install Manager and recommend giving it a try, but it may not be right for everyone. You can always change your mind later, but you’ll need to make at least a preliminary decision now.

If You Are Using the DAZ Install Manager...

1. After ordering the DAZ Studio 4.6 program, go to this page: http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info/
    2. Click the “Download Free Now” link (either the Windows one or the Mac one, depending on your system)
    3. To install the DAZ Install Manager, click this link and follow the instructions provided
    4. Once it is installed, open the Install Manager. You’ll need to add your account information, and configure it for use. Click this link and follow the instructions provided.
    5. Instructions on downloading and installing files using the DAZ Install Manager are also available, though for most users the process should be fairly straightforward
    6. Note that you can click the gear icon in the upper right corner, and tell the Install Manager which programs you use...then it will only show files for the appropriate programs.
    7. Run the Install Manager periodically (especially after purchasing content) to check for newly available files and content updates

If You’re Not Using the DAZ Install Manager...

Your first step will be to download and install the DAZ Studio software.

Downloading and Running the DAZ Studio Installer

1. Click the “My Account” link at the top of the web page.
    2. On the menu on the top of the screen, click "Product Library."
    3. Find and click on "DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro" in the list of products
    - Depending on how many things you have purchased, you may need to search or click through several pages to find "DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro."
    4. In the center of the screen, you'll see a list of files. Read the details below in order to learn which file or files you need.
    - The list includes four installers for DAZ Studio. You'll have to choose the one that's appropriate for your system: 32-bit Mac, 64-bit Mac, 32-bit Windows, or 64-bit Windows.
    - Below, you'll find links to installers for various plug-ins and add-ons. If you're not sure about these, you can ignore them for now--except anything with "Starter Essentials" in the name. You should click the link to download any "Starter Essentials" packages.
    5. Click the appropriate link below and follow the instructions.
    - Windows - How to Download and Install DAZ Studio 4
    - Mac - How to Download and Install DAZ Studio 4
    6. Go ahead and install the Genesis Starter Essentials also, following the instructions provided.
    7. Follow the same process to install any additional Starter Essentials packages
    8. You’re done (for now). Start the software and follow the instructions on screen to get started
    9. Each time you acquire additional content through the DAZ 3D store, you’ll need to click the “My Account” link, then the “Product Library” link, and download and install the appropriate file.

Resources for Learning DAZ Studio

Housekeeping and Maintenance in DAZ Studio 4
    Installing Zip Files with DAZ Studio 4
    DAZ Studio 4 FAQ
    DS4 Video Tutorials
    DS4 User Guide
    Glossary of Terms
    Some Things to Consider When Starting to Learn CG
    DAZ Studio Basics 101 Q&A Thread
    New User's Help Forum
    DAZ Studio 4.0 - The Missing Manual (unofficial)

Updated 2013/10/03

DOENST WORK. OLD PINNED ARTICLE. DOES DAZ UPDATE ANY OF THEIR INSTRUCTIONS? ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS?

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.28.54 PM.png
    1064 x 768 - 51K
  • This is a brief tutorial designed to guide you through the process of getting ready to use DAZ Studio and its content.

This is intended for people who currently do not have DAZ Studio 4, or any DAZ 3D content, installed on their computer (in other words, you’re either new to DAZ Studio, or you’re using a new computer, or you’ve uninstalled everything in order to start from scratch).*

*If this doesn’t describe you because you do have the software, or some DAZ 3D content, installed on your computer, then please keep in mind that things may not work exactly the same way for you...some steps may not apply to you, and there may be additional steps that this tutorial does not cover.

How To Order DAZ Studio from the DAZ 3D store (it’s currently being offered free of charge)

3. Click the “My Cart” link at the top of the screen and complete the check-out process.
    4. When you finish checking out, you should see a confirmation screen that says “Your order was successful.” Click the link for the DAZ Install Manager (but don’t download it yet...read on).

- Read the information on the page about the DAZ Install Manager and decide if you would like to use it, or if you would prefer to download and install your content manually. I like using the DAZ Install Manager and recommend giving it a try, but it may not be right for everyone. You can always change your mind later, but you’ll need to make at least a preliminary decision now.

1. After ordering the DAZ Studio 4.6 program, go to this page: http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info/
    2. Click the “Download Free Now” link (either the Windows one or the Mac one, depending on your system)
    3. To install the DAZ Install Manager, click this link and follow the instructions provided
    4. Once it is installed, open the Install Manager. You’ll need to add your account information, and configure it for use. Click this link and follow the instructions provided.
    5. Instructions on downloading and installing files using the DAZ Install Manager are also available, though for most users the process should be fairly straightforward
    6. Note that you can click the gear icon in the upper right corner, and tell the Install Manager which programs you use...then it will only show files for the appropriate programs.
    7. Run the Install Manager periodically (especially after purchasing content) to check for newly available files and content updates

- Depending on how many things you have purchased, you may need to search or click through several pages to find "DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro."
    4. In the center of the screen, you'll see a list of files. Read the details below in order to learn which file or files you need.
    - The list includes four installers for DAZ Studio. You'll have to choose the one that's appropriate for your system: 32-bit Mac, 64-bit Mac, 32-bit Windows, or 64-bit Windows.
    - Below, you'll find links to installers for various plug-ins and add-ons. If you're not sure about these, you can ignore them for now--except anything with "Starter Essentials" in the name. You should click the link to download any "Starter Essentials" packages.
    6. Go ahead and install the Genesis Starter Essentials also, following the instructions provided.
    7. Follow the same process to install any additional Starter Essentials packages
    8. You’re done (for now). Start the software and follow the instructions on screen to get started
    9. Each time you acquire additional content through the DAZ 3D store, you’ll need to click the “My Account” link, then the “Product Library” link, and download and install the appropriate file.

DAZ Studio 4 FAQ
    DS4 Video Tutorials
    DS4 User Guide
    Glossary of Terms
    New User's Help Forum

Updated 2013/10/03

DOENST WORK. OLD PINNED ARTICLE. DOES DAZ UPDATE ANY OF THEIR INSTRUCTIONS? ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS?

Please note that this post was written by a user, it isn't official Daz documentation. That said, I see you are right about its needing some updating and we will see what we can organise.

• Yes, I'm the original poster and clearly a lot has changed since this was first posted! Thanks to Richard or whoever unpinned it.

This is a brief tutorial designed to guide you through the process of getting ready to use DAZ Studio and its content.

DAZ Studio 4 FAQ
    DS4 Video Tutorials
    DS4 User Guide
    Glossary of Terms
    New User's Help Forum

Updated 2013/10/03

Yes, I'm the original poster and clearly a lot has changed since this was first posted! Thanks to Richard or whoever unpinned it. Sorry if anyone was misled by these old instructions!

• I tried using the install Manager and nothing is working
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    I tried using the install Manager and nothing is working

What exactly are you doing? What operating system are you running? What security software? What are your system specifications?

• how do i use install manager to install daz if i have daz as a exe / app. I have setup64 exe. Windows 10. Trying to install it on a different drive than C/

• Hello all I am really new in Daz and I found my self in problem regarding the usage of the C drive.

I have failed twice to install everything from Daz to my 4th HDD which was empty and ideal for Daz 3D. Allthough I mentioned on the gear in the DazCentral many files went to C:Users/.../Daz / studio - or - Content library e.t.c. It isn't hard to have the ability from the DazCentral platform where to install what !!!!! Right now I am trying to find a guide how to bypass this problem. DazCentral as a dowload manager should work as many others for example Steam which is asking where to be installed and where to install any of the games which are far more complicated due to different companies short the data as they want, than just data from the same publisher. And I wonder why there is and still exist this problem ? I have seen mod managers to have this ability and so many other applications from small developers to big publishers.

• I am confused and having problems with DAZ Install Manager, DAZ Studo Pro and especially when I install DAZ Central.

Normally, I install DIM first then all the content DIM found including DAZ Studio Pro.
    After everything is installed, when I start DAZ Studio, it shows that almost all products are NOT yet installed.
    SO, I install all the products within DAZ Studio. But then, I got double products (like Genesis 8 Starter Essentials) in the Library section.

Then I try with installing DIM first then DAZ Studio within DIM, start DAZ Studio, and install the products from my account.

My biggest problem is with DAZ Central. Installing it makes me VERY confused and I do not know where DIM downloads folder is and "My 3D Content Library"
     because DAZ Central does not aks (when installing the first time) where to install. I never install to default folders ("Public Users" folder).
    I tried DAZ Central many times but every time I was very confused and could not install downloaded products from DIM folder.
    DAZ Central does not show added products within DIM's Downloads folder.
    By the way, DAZ Central is VERY useful because I can see all installed products with screenshot and web links to products' pages.
    I would use it instead of DIM but like I said it makes me very, very confused.
    When I start DIM and want to install other products it wants already (via DAZ Central) installed products to be installed again.

My question is: How to install products from my account (and boughtt products) properly.
    Should install everything that DIM finds and use DAZ Studio and NOT install grayed-out products again within DAZ Studio?
    Or, should I install DAZ Studio via DIM then install all other products (from my account) via DAZ Studio?

Like I said, I really like DAZ Central but it makes everything confused and very hard to find where the products are installed.
    I do not get it to work properly. I know I am doing somethign wrong. I tried it 5 times, I guess but every time had to uninstall it and install everythign new via DIM/DAZ Studio.

Thanks.

• lipaca4639 said:

how do i use install manager to install daz if i have daz as a exe / app. I have setup64 exe. Windows 10. Trying to install it on a different drive than C/

You don't, but Install Manager can download and install the application files. Make sure you are setting all the desired destination folders in the Advanced settings, not just the content path, and if you have more than one content path make sure DIM is using the desired one. Make sure that Daz Studio is also using the modified paths, otherwise it won't see the coent and will prompt you to log in and install using Connect (which will default to the C: drive if that is where your documents folder is)

• 3DRenderBoy said:

I am confused and having problems with DAZ Install Manager, DAZ Studo Pro and especially when I install DAZ Central.

Normally, I install DIM first then all the content DIM found including DAZ Studio Pro.
    After everything is installed, when I start DAZ Studio, it shows that almost all products are NOT yet installed.
    SO, I install all the products within DAZ Studio. But then, I got double products (like Genesis 8 Starter Essentials) in the Library section.

Then I try with installing DIM first then DAZ Studio within DIM, start DAZ Studio, and install the products from my account.

My biggest problem is with DAZ Central. Installing it makes me VERY confused and I do not know where DIM downloads folder is and "My 3D Content Library"
     because DAZ Central does not aks (when installing the first time) where to install. I never install to default folders ("Public Users" folder).
    I tried DAZ Central many times but every time I was very confused and could not install downloaded products from DIM folder.
    DAZ Central does not show added products within DIM's Downloads folder.
    By the way, DAZ Central is VERY useful because I can see all installed products with screenshot and web links to products' pages.
    I would use it instead of DIM but like I said it makes me very, very confused.
    When I start DIM and want to install other products it wants already (via DAZ Central) installed products to be installed again.

My question is: How to install products from my account (and boughtt products) properly.
    Should install everything that DIM finds and use DAZ Studio and NOT install grayed-out products again within DAZ Studio?
    Or, should I install DAZ Studio via DIM then install all other products (from my account) via DAZ Studio?

Like I said, I really like DAZ Central but it makes everything confused and very hard to find where the products are installed.
    I do not get it to work properly. I know I am doing somethign wrong. I tried it 5 times, I guess but every time had to uninstall it and install everythign new via DIM/DAZ Studio.

Thanks.

Don't use Daz Central if you are using Install Manager - it is a simplified version of the latter, which can perform fewer tasks.

If installed products are greyed out see if their files are nonetheless avaialble in the Content Library under Daz Studio Formats - if they are then it is a communication issue with the database, if not then the path setttings in DS probaby don't match those in DIM.

• Forboth of the above, there is a sample script that can be used to make sure Install manager and Daz Studio are looking at the same folders. Download the script (there's a link above the code) and drag it into the Daz Studio Viewport to run it.

Set DS to match DIM: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config_import/start

Set DIM to match DS: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config/start

• 3DRenderBoy3DRenderBoy Posts: 31
    edited August 2021

Greetings @RichardHaseltine. Thank you for answering and useful script information that I did not know. I will try it.

I will not use DAZCentral anymore. It is much better thn DIM but it makes everything complicated because it does not allow me where to install.
    DIM has more options to offer where to install (folders for Downloads, Meta Files etc.).

I will then put both scripts into the Viewport and try it. It would mean I have to install everything new, because it is a mess because of DAZCentral's 'leftovers' in DAZ Studio's folders. .

(I wanted 'Quote' to your post but I am confused with DAZ's Forum, so I could not do it.)

Post edited by 3DRenderBoy on
  • If you want to quote someone click the Quote button, then to get a clean line for your reply hover over the top or bottom  of the quote and you should see a dotted line with a return symbol - click the symbol to get a non-quote line. Two returns also usually work, but some formatting seems to defeat them.

• Richard Haseltine said:

If you want to quote someone click the Quote button, then to get a clean line for your reply hover over the top or bottom  of the quote and you should see a dotted line with a return symbol - click the symbol to get a non-quote line. Two returns also usually work, but some formatting seems to defeat them.

Thank you very much! I did it!!! I did not know about the (red) symbo. 
    But I still do not know what install FIRST. I just installed DIM then DAZ Studio 4.15 - without any other products within DIM. I will try the scripts to match DIM and DAZ Studio to find the install folders.
    When I installed (many times!) all products within DIM, DAZ Studio showed that almost all products are not installed. That's why I ask what to install FIRST:

• 3DRenderBoy3DRenderBoy Posts: 31
    edited September 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

If you want to quote someone click the Quote button, then to get a clean line for your reply hover over the top or bottom  of the quote and you should see a dotted line with a return symbol - click the symbol to get a non-quote line. Two returns also usually work, but some formatting seems to defeat them.

Thank you very much! I did it!!! I did not know about the (red) symbo. 
    But I still do not know what install FIRST. I just installed DIM then DAZ Studio 4.15 - without any other products within DIM. I will try the scripts to match DIM and DAZ Studio to find the install folders.
    When I installed (many times!) all products within DIM, DAZ Studio showed that almost all products are not installed. That's why I ask what to install FIRST.

EDIT today: I installed the scripts and it works. I got a popup window with installtion folders.

But DIM still shows every time I log-in that I have to install 46 products (it showed before DAZ Studio installation 69 products to be installed).

I installed - except SQL - the products (Genesis, G2, G3, G8, dForce starter essentials etc.) within DAZ Studio and installed DAZ Studio BETA (within DIM) and started it too (logged-in).

Post edited by 3DRenderBoy on
  • If you mean the pop-up about packages, which has entries for Studio and Hexagon I think, there is an option to have it not show every time on launch at bottom-left. The extras, beyond the starter essentials and default resources, are mainly tutorials and their free content.