Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

Thank you ... found it all and figured how to direct DS to the files. It's all working now. Finally I can have fun with DS. This looks fantastic! :coolsmile:

• Keith-jonesKeith-jones Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Hi
    Does anyone know why the install manager puts things where DazStudio cannot find them? Why are the links in the error message truncated? If it gave a full path I think I could move things around until they were in the right place.

Incidentally I use a whole bunch of other software and Daz is the only publisher who manages to make installing, and later finding, of files difficult. I accept that "difficulty" is relative but if there was competition Daz would leave everyone else standing, which is truly ironic as it is clearly their intention to make the installation idiot proof.
    Many thanks
    Keith

DAZS.PNG
    731 x 365 - 85K
  • boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind I'm VERY new at this ... but I believe you need to make sure you have the directory added to DS's mapping in the drop-down menu connected with the content library tab>content directory manager. As long as the directory you want (where DIM is placing products) is added there you should be fine. Also, in DIM you can create a path to direct content elsewhere. So you can work with this from either direction. DIM to DS or strictly adding to DS's dirctories. Does that make sense?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,252
    edited December 1969

The Basic Child comes from the same package as the core asset files that are not being found. That, and the fact that you have a (3) in front of the name in Smart Content (which indicates the files exist in three separate places) probably means that the installation went to the wrong destination. The path is truncated because it's a relative path - the user file gives that, and DS checks it against the DAZ Studio content directories until it finds a match - so it's saying that you don't have \Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Genesis.dsf in any of your DAZ Studio content directories.

In the Install Manager click the gear icon at top-right to open preferences, go to the Installation tab and post a screen shot showing the paths.
    In DAZ Studio go to Edit>Preferences>Content Library tab, click the Content Directory Manager button, expand Current and then DAZ Studio Formats and post a screen shot of the list of folders.

edited June 2015

Picture attached. I deleted the content in the folders to which these paths point and changed the paths install manager to those in the pictures below and reinstalled Daz Studio but it still looks in the wrong folders. IMHO it would be easier to install Daz Studio manually and then install all the content into the Runtime folder. Is this still an option?

IM1.PNG
    551 x 513 - 35K
    IM2.PNG
    551 x 512 - 26K
    Content1.PNG
    697 x 327 - 28K
    Post edited by Keith-jones on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Delete the New Content Set. Never install content to the Program Files folders. Create a D:/ DAZ Studio Library. Add that to DAZ Studio's Content Directory Manager under both DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats and in the Installation tab of DIM. In DIM on the Ready TO Install tab make sure the "Show Details" box is checked that way you will have button to change which library you wish to install to if you have more than one. You can name your libraries just about anything you want as long as both Studio and DIM knows about them.

edited December 1969

cool, will give it a go!

edited December 1969

Hi
    I followed the instructions and everything is now going to D:\Daz Content Lib. I changed the paths for the content in Daz Studio and tried loading a character and it still looks in places that have been deleted. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Studio and it still does the same. Where does Studio store the path? Can I manually edit the file?
    Thanks for your continued assistance
    Keith

Wrong_path.PNG
    794 x 423 - 56K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Your using stupid Smart Content that relies on database entries and they are still pointing to the old install location. Click the active pane option icon (little square with sideways triangle and horizontal line). Select Content DB Maintenance then Reset Database. After the database has been reset again use maintenance to Re-Import Metadata. If that still fails you can just use the Content Library tab instead, in fact when troubleshooting content library problems you should always use the Content Library tab as that will always display properly installed content.

edited December 1969

Note the (4) in front of the name - the CMS now has four different locations for each fiel from all the reinstalling. Have you done any actual customisation of the content categories? If so in the Content Library pane click the lined button in the top corner to get the option menu and then click Content DB Maintenance, select Export User Data and click Accept. Having done that, if necessary, in the Content Library pane again click the lined, click Content DB Maintenance, select Reset Database and click Accept. Then click the lined button again, Content DB Maintenance again, Reimport Metadata, Accept and then Accept in the next dialogue. That should give you a clean database.

edited December 1969

That worked. Thanks.

• edited December 1969

I installed 4.8. There is no content in smart content or content tabs. So I downloaded the Genesis starter essentials. There is no install. How do I get this content so I can see it in DAZ 3D?

• dharmabumdharmabum Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Hi Scott,

Thanks for reposting totte's instruction on for mac download. It was successful. However, I got this error message after installation:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Interactive Lessons for DAZ Studio 4.8+" requires that the installed path for "DAZ Studio 4.5, 4.x Public Build, 4.x Publishing Build, 4.x Private Build" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Dharmabum

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

fcabanski said:
    I installed 4.8. There is no content in smart content or content tabs. So I downloaded the Genesis starter essentials. There is no install. How do I get this content so I can see it in DAZ 3D?

What do you mean by "there is no install"? Are you trying to install with DAZ Install Manager, or manually? Or did you install it but DAZ Studio isn't seeing it?

edited December 1969

dharmabum said:
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for reposting totte's instruction on for mac download. It was successful. However, I got this error message after installation:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Interactive Lessons for DAZ Studio 4.8+" requires that the installed path for "DAZ Studio 4.5, 4.x Public Build, 4.x Publishing Build, 4.x Private Build" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Dharmabum

Did you install DAZ Studio 4.8 using DIM?

edited December 1969

dharmabum said:
    Hi Scott,

Dharmabum

Did you install DAZ Studio 4.8 using DIM?

Yes to DIM and DAZ 4.8 is installed. Above error message may just be mac acting mac. Only Bridge failed to install. I checked path in settings, looks fine. Walked through tutorial, seems fine. It just took time to render. Thanks all.

Db

edited December 1969

If that the Photoshop or ZBrush bridge are you sure you set the path to the application in the Applications tab of preferences, and that you set the application too - it's not enough to have the path in the list of content directories, or to have the path but set to the wrong application or version.

edited December 1969

If that the Photoshop or ZBrush bridge are you sure you set the path to the application in the Applications tab of preferences, and that you set the application too - it's not enough to have the path in the list of content directories, or to have the path but set to the wrong application or version.

Well, normally applications are defaulted go to applications folder; that's just the smart way. I've no clue why users should be asked in the first place. Unless that's an option for users to place somewhere otherwise. But I did check the path in DAZ settings, it is auto set to Application folder. I wouldn't post this issue if I didn't find it weird. I just thought that may not be unique to me, or maybe a DAZ's glitch to note about. Just trying to be helpful. Thanks for reply.

edited December 1969

dharmabum said:

Well, normally applications are defaulted go to applications folder; that's just the smart way. I've no clue why users should be asked in the first place. Unless that's an option for users to place somewhere otherwise. But I did check the path in DAZ settings, it is auto set to Application folder. I wouldn't post this issue if I didn't find it weird. I just thought that may not be unique to me, or maybe a DAZ's glitch to note about. Just trying to be helpful. Thanks for reply.

No, if you open the DIM preferences (gear icon at top-right) and go to the Applications tab does it list Photoshop and give the correct version and path, assuming you have it at all? If you haven't set it it won't. The same for ZBrush, assuming you have that.

• jkt__45jkt__45 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Is it possible to instal in a folder I want? I try to instal to a USB. I did it instal DAZ Studio 4.8 in a folder. But I don't know to instal (extract) another file. Where should I I put the other file I download?

edited December 1969

jkt__45 said:
    Is it possible to instal in a folder I want? I try to instal to a USB. I did it instal DAZ Studio 4.8 in a folder. But I don't know to instal (extract) another file. Where should I I put the other file I download?

To choose where you want to install, go to Settings (gear icon in the upper right corner) > Installation, click the + sign in the lower left, add your new path, then switch the "Current" to your new path.

• suzziesuzzie Posts: 6

Im having a TERRIBLE time with my install !  Almost NOTHING is working well.   

I have DAZ 4.8.0059 on Windows 7
    I have installed the 64 bit DAZ4.8 program with the DIM to The Default:  C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4
    I have installed all my Genesis 2 and 3 content... and my Victoria 4,5,6 and now 7 using the DIM to The Default: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
    I have my all my downloads going to The Default:  C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads

PROBLEMS ARE:
    First time I ran the program I got an error message...Im having problems finding the duf files.  see screen capture 1
    Tried to load a Genesis figure in... and got error message 2
    Then I got a robot for my first character...NICE!  So much for default settings in DAZ so far.

I previously couldnt load characters for the last 6 months because it could not locate the sss file for the character and for the life of me...I was not able to resolve the problem ever after spending 3-4 hours on it.
    I had the SSS provided to me external to the download...and I read that I had to install it manually back in Version 3 I think.

In the 9 months I have had the program...I have not been able to use it successfully because of this missing file problems...so my characters rarely ever load.
    Tonight I manually uninstalled  evert bit of content with the DIM, Uninstalled and reloaded 4.8, and went looking for every DAZ reference not erased and killed it manually.  The uninstaller would not work wouldnt you know in my case!

I know there are so many folders, and file types, and pointers going on... that I must admit that my brain almost fries.  So I tried to do a fresh re-install...and in DEAD IN THE WATER!
    I guess im the ultimate unsuccessful newbie here. 

Is there someone here that would be willing to help me sort this thing out... and explain why my previous installation logic was so obtuse!

Thanks Suzzie

/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/PHMMouthRealismHD.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Genesis3Female.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/PBMNavel.dsf

A_SNAG_IMG_0178.png
    541 x 158 - 23K
    A_SNAG_IMG_0179.png
    504 x 527 - 44K
    A_SNAG_IMG_0180.png
    594 x 717 - 25K

It looks like you haven't installed the "Genesis Starter Essentials" (and the corresponding G2F. G2M, and G3F Starter Essentials) and the "Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio".

• suzziesuzzie Posts: 6

I think I do have each of those installed by using my Daz Installation Manager DIM. 

These two are shown on my installed content...see screen capture below.

I have 44 key Daz and Content files showing installed in various folders...im thinking that DAZ needs to be better told where those folders are ????

Look at the screen captures in the message above this...DAZ is NOT Finding many of my KEY DUF Files... So, do I need to make a pointer inside of DAZ? ... to go to the "Content Directory"  that the download and Installation Manager created for me??

Thanks Suzzie. 

Im still dead in the water.  DAZ is still N O T working.

KEY Installed Files Listing.jpg
    981 x 1032 - 128K

In DS. go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats", and post a screenshot.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

The Bridge for Photoshop is not installing for me this is what it says:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.8+ (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CC, CS6, CS5, CS4 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Can someone help me with this issue plz n ty?

Saphirewild

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.8+ (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CC, CS6, CS5, CS4 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Saphirewild

PS When I load the Daz4 it says some file or something is not found right on main screan!!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,169

Saphirewild

Do you have Adobe Photoshop installed on your machine? If you do, then you need to open the DIM (DAZ Install Manager) and click on the little cog shape in the top right corner to open the settings window, click on the Applications tab and add the location where you have Photoshop installed, e.g. C:/Programs/Adobe/.... whatever.

If yo do not have Adobe Photoshop installed, then you do not need the Bridge at all, so you can ignore the error message.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,169

Saphirewild

PS When I load the Daz4 it says some file or something is not found right on main screan!!

This sounds as if DAZ Studio is trying to load a start-up scene, which probably includes a Genesis or Genesis 2 figure. Have you installed the four "Starter Essentials" files which should be listed in your DIM awaiting download and/or install?

If you have installed them, did you use the default install location which the DIM suggests, or did you change it? (If you changed it then you need to tell DAZ Studio where you installed your files - I can give more details of how if you need them)

MelanieL said:

Saphirewild

This sounds as if DAZ Studio is trying to load a start-up scene, which probably includes a Genesis or Genesis 2 figure. Have you installed the four "Starter Essentials" files which should be listed in your DIM awaiting download and/or install?

If you have installed them, did you use the default install location which the DIM suggests, or did you change it? (If you changed it then you need to tell DAZ Studio where you installed your files - I can give more details of how if you need them)

I installed all the things that was in the list of the Daz Install Manager in one place the default place. so not sure what is up with it not loading.