Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

i did nt got my serial number,, sumebody help me pleaseeee

Did you chaeck in your account   Serial numbers.   https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/serialnumbers

• Something is wrong. I downloaded DAZ studio on my laptop with i3, 4 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, Windows 7 Home premium SP1. I was not asked any questions during the download.

I got an error message saying that something could not be installed because of a bad path name, but I could not hardly read it.

Now the display is negative. Its black where its normally white. Colors are reversed too.

• Please post a screenshot.

• Thats not really practical. I am using a different computer because when the screen goes haywire I can not read it well enough to do anything. When the screen timed out and went dormant, it came back normal. After a while it goes negative again.

• So this isn't a permanent effect, it comes in suddenly and then goes after a while? That sounds like a driver or even a hardware issue, perhaps heat related if blanking the screen fixes it for a while.

• Thanks

• I am currently using install manager to download all my content onto my new MacBook Pro. I have directed the downloads to a USB-C thumb drive.

When I comes to installing; I want to instal all my content onto the USB drive, however DAZ studio itself will need to be installed to my OS drive - Applications. Are there any other eliments that would need to be installed to my OS drive? Or can everything else go onto the thumb drive?

• Hello, I'm Ty.

Last night, I attempted my first download, unsucessfully.  

I got hung up on three things:

1) "Osa ____ wants to make some changes." dialog box kept popping up.  How safe is that to allow?

2) I am (obviously) new to Daz.  Several elements didn't install, even after I eventually allowed the changes mentioned above (I researched online, and it seemed okay).  It mentioned that I should declare a different path for those items.  I tried and failed at that several times.  How do I do that?

3)  Not only am I new to Daz, but I am new to Mac (10 days in) as well.  Is there something about opening Daz, once it is installed, on a Mac rather than on a PC?

Maybe those are 'simple' questions, but I'd appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,505

1) Was this in Install manager or while Installing install manager? That is a normal security authentication dialog as you need to allow to install things.

2) The basic thing to understand is how and where Content for DAZ Studio is installed. In DIM (DAZ Install Manager) you cam set where things are to be installed, and in DAZ Studio Content Direcrtory Manager you tell DAZ Studio where content is installed and which places to use. (The basic for this is that you can have many content locations and select which to use). You need to be sure that DIM installs to a place DAZ Studio is lookimng at. In DAZ Studio, Prefecences -> Content Tab and big button saying Content Directory Manager

3) Can you please specify exactly what your problem is here? It works the same. On OS X DAZ Studio is installed into /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZ Studio 64bit (if you installed 64 bit version which I really hppe you did). Content on the other hand is installed to the location you have choosen, which can be /Users/Shared (which I think is default location)

Shout if you need more help.

• Totte said:

1) Was this in Install manager or while Installing install manager? That is a normal security authentication dialog as you need to allow to install things.

2) The basic thing to understand is how and where Content for DAZ Studio is installed. In DIM (DAZ Install Manager) you cam set where things are to be installed, and in DAZ Studio Content Direcrtory Manager you tell DAZ Studio where content is installed and which places to use. (The basic for this is that you can have many content locations and select which to use). You need to be sure that DIM installs to a place DAZ Studio is lookimng at. In DAZ Studio, Prefecences -> Content Tab and big button saying Content Directory Manager

3) Can you please specify exactly what your problem is here? It works the same. On OS X DAZ Studio is installed into /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZ Studio 64bit (if you installed 64 bit version which I really hppe you did). Content on the other hand is installed to the location you have choosen, which can be /Users/Shared (which I think is default location)

Shout if you need more help.

No shouting, just a big fat Thank You!  I figured it out with your help.  Appreciate your assistance, bud.  Thanks, again.

• I am installing DAZ Studio 4.9 (Mac 64-bit), overlaying Daz 4.8.  I downloaded the Bitrock install package instead of using install manager, just because I thought it would be easier.  The install showed no errors,but now it is stuck on the step "Installing Content Management Services" and appears to be stuck.  It just sits there, with the progress bar frozen at about 95% completed.  I am going to let it run for a while, but I think there is a problem. My desktop is OSX 10.10.5.

I am installing DAZ Studio 4.9 (Mac 64-bit), overlaying Daz 4.8.  I downloaded the Bitrock install package instead of using install manager, just because I thought it would be easier.  The install showed no errors,but now it is stuck on the step "Installing Content Management Services" and appears to be stuck.  It just sits there, with the progress bar frozen at about 95% completed.  I am going to let it run for a while, but I think there is a problem. My desktop is OSX 10.10.5

It can be one of many things that is happening. As 4.9 has a different CMS than 4.8 (more data), it will need to change the database and that might take time if you have a lot of stuff in it. It can also be other problems, please let it run for a while (you can check with activity Monitor what is going on).

• Thanks for the advice.  It has now been running about 6 hours.  According to Activity Monitor, it is using between 4 and 5 percent of CPU (which changes) and 5 threads; so at least it doesn't appear to be frozen.  I do have a lot of content, so maybe that's it.  I have 747 GB free, so I don't think it is running out of storage.

Thanks for the advice.  It has now been running about 6 hours.  According to Activity Monitor, it is using between 4 and 5 percent of CPU (which changes) and 5 threads; so at least it doesn't appear to be frozen.  I do have a lot of content, so maybe that's it.  I have 747 GB free, so I don't think it is running out of storage.

is there anything in the console.app (system.log) from the installer (you can filter by it's name). Sometimes the bitrock installer shouts in the log.

I do recommend using DIM as installer though, it has better understanding of things than the Bitrock ones.

• Thanks, unfortunately I don't know where to find console.app(system.log).  The install has run for 24 hours, used 11:16:55 of CPU time, and the statistics are still fluctuating, sometimes using as many as 10 threads.  I also notice that the Daz3d site is very busy or is down.  I think I might let it keep running a while longer, since I'm not currently working with it.  Once I can get back into the Daz3d site, I think I'll cancel the install, check that my DIM installer is up to date and switch to installing it that way.

Thanks, unfortunately I don't know where to find console.app(system.log).  The install has run for 24 hours, used 11:16:55 of CPU time, and the statistics are still fluctuating, sometimes using as many as 10 threads.  I also notice that the Daz3d site is very busy or is down.  I think I might let it keep running a while longer, since I'm not currently working with it.  Once I can get back into the Daz3d site, I think I'll cancel the install, check that my DIM installer is up to date and switch to installing it that way.

Console.app is in /Applications/Utilities , bur from your description the BitRock installer seems to have failed. Try to force quit it and do the 4.9 install with DIM 

• Thanks!  I killed the bitrock install, upgraded DIM, and 4.9 installed very quickly with no issues.

• WickedFogWickedFog Posts: 11
    edited January 2017

I am sorry if this has been posted before, I have very little time to search any further. I downloaded Daz3d to try it out. I changed the directories to install in a location other than my C drive. But the majority of the files installed in C:\Users\Public\Documents. WTH is up with that? I didn't install on my C drive because this PC only has a small SSD for the operating system. Imagine my surprize when my drive filled up. Is there no uninstaller for Daz3D? It seems to have put files all over the place. Are you guys affiliated with Sierra  Entertainment? Because I haven't seen a mess like this since my last Sierra install LOL.

So I want to uninstall everything and try to keep it all on my E drive. How do i do that without making a mess again?

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I changed my user folder settings in Windows to be on a different drive. Not what I really wanted to do, but it worked. 

Post edited by WickedFog on
  • KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited March 2017

Hi, I got a new computer but having a heck of a time getting daz studio installed.  I have been to https://www.daz3d.com/get_studio and I have installed the install manager but I can't find the software in the install manager. I don't want to redownload my content because I have it all on an external hard drive. I looked in my product library but it keeps reopening my install manager.  Where to find only the daz studio software to download?

Never mind, I found the manual download.

Thanks 

Post edited by KimberSue on
  • WickedFog said:

I am sorry if this has been posted before, I have very little time to search any further. I downloaded Daz3d to try it out. I changed the directories to install in a location other than my C drive. But the majority of the files installed in C:\Users\Public\Documents. WTH is up with that? I didn't install on my C drive because this PC only has a small SSD for the operating system. Imagine my surprize when my drive filled up. Is there no uninstaller for Daz3D? It seems to have put files all over the place. Are you guys affiliated with Sierra  Entertainment? Because I haven't seen a mess like this since my last Sierra install LOL.

So I want to uninstall everything and try to keep it all on my E drive. How do i do that without making a mess again?

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I changed my user folder settings in Windows to be on a different drive. Not what I really wanted to do, but it worked. 

Where did you change the directories? Daz Studio itself and the Install Manager do not share lists (there is a script to sync them).

• FranRFranR Posts: 33
    edited April 2017

After a long evening fighting with DS 4.9 64bit, I end up with a bad mood and no render to show for. 

The program runs, but it's exceedingly slow in response, especially when I left click certain icons like the boxes in the left panel under content library. Or when I scroll through the install I run an MSI i7, 8 gig and a GTX 1080 8gig system; and this isn't exactly the response I was expecting. Poser 11 gave me no trouble whatsoever.

I also tried installing the 32-bit version, but the program hangs when trying to install the csm part.

I haven't even been able to figure out how to find the items I have installed on my external drive. I have no idea why it is so slow. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I've tried using single cores or other cores and nothing seemed to work.

I normally use Poser, but I was wanting to try the new genesis 3 female figures, also got myself a new Aiko version - and I'm a lil disappointed I never reached the point where I can actually get to install and use all the new stuff.

I have a runtime on my f drive under f:\master\runtime\*

* A3\
    A4\
    A5\
    Animals\
    etc.

Oh, I also tried installing it using the Daz Install Manager. The first time I tried the DIM bugged out on me, becoming none-responsive. After uninstalling and reinstalling I got Daz studio installed, but it wouldn't work - problems with the csm - and the program was just as unresponsive - especially with left clicks. right clicks would appear almost instantaneous ... I have no idea what's going on :( I would love for it to work so I can use my daz library again (which has become quite extensive.)

Post edited by FranR on

First - under Preferences - Video - Optimization, is it set to better or best?

• FranRFranR Posts: 33
    edited April 2017
    Totte said:

First - under Preferences - Video - Optimization, is it set to better or best?

Neither, it's set to none.

Current hardware features:

Current OpenGL Version:
    4.5.0 NVIDIA 381.65

OpenGL Provider:
    NVIDIA Corporation

Hardware:
    GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

Features: 

MultiTexturing
    Supported

Shadow Map
    Supported

Hardware Antialiasing
    Supported

OpenGL Shading Language
    Supported

Pixel Buffer
    Supported

Pixel Buffer Size
    Not Enabled

Maximum Number of Lights

Number of Texture Units

Maximum Texture Size
    32768 x 32768

Update:

I found my figures, but installing them and scrolling is exceedingly slow. I'm talking about 5 to 10 sec pauses between a scroll, sometimes longer. Yet within the render screen, things move quickly if I use the tools in the right-hand corner of the viewport.

If I use the tools in the right side pane, things slow down again - feels like I run Daz studio on a Pentium without a graphics card

Post edited by FranR on
  • tophandtophand Posts: 120

I just bought a new computer and am trying to install Daz 4.9.  I used DIM and it downloaded and installed all my files but I can't find a DAZ executable file anywhere. I expected to find the executable in /Program Files (x86)/DAZ    thats where the DIM application is. I tried to go back and just re-download and install the executable. Hitting the download button returns me to the list of products I own which tells me to select a file to get started. I select DAZ 4.9 Pro and.....nothing....no further prompts.

I may be overlooking something obvious. I have had a TBI and get confused fairly easily.  

• tophandtophand Posts: 120
    tophand said:

I just bought a new computer and am trying to install Daz 4.9.  I used DIM and it downloaded and installed all my files but I can't find a DAZ executable file anywhere. I expected to find the executable in /Program Files (x86)/DAZ    thats where the DIM application is. I tried to go back and just re-download and install the executable. Hitting the download button returns me to the list of products I own which tells me to select a file to get started. I select DAZ 4.9 Pro and.....nothing....no further prompts.

I may be overlooking something obvious. I have had a TBI and get confused fairly easily.  

Never mind   LOL   it was the browser I was using. Google Chrome allowed the follow up information to come up and installation is complete

• prinzeugenprinzeugen Posts: 38

Thanks!  I killed the bitrock install, upgraded DIM, and 4.9 installed very quickly with no issues.  lucky you !! I had an early version of Daz 4.9 64 bit,,, I deleted it and  content manager as my manual download of the lastest daz 64 bit gets stuck at 95% 9Installing Content manager Service )  runs for hours and never finishs install.. I have the latest  Daz Install manager 1.1.0.67 . When I try to use it I never see Daz4.9 in ready to download.. I have clicked download filter still no Daz 64 bit to download ... I never had any trouble going from Daz 4.8 to 4.9  using the DIM... I do have the latest Daz 4.9 32 bit  it does not have Iray renders... Why can I not download the 64 bit ??  I have windows 7 infinite.

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited July 2017

Hi there, would you recommend to update DAZ to 4.9.4.117 and do I have to take care on something ?

I´m running 4.9 Pro and it works fine. So the idea is just to be up to date.

Thanks

Post edited by harrykim on
  • Hi, I'm new to the forums. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me? I'm trying to install some content I purchased with the Daz Install Manager but it keeps giving me a pop-up that reads "The account referenced is not setup in Install Manager." I checked and it looks like both my email, password, and username match the one saved in Manager. If someone knows how to fix this or a way for me to reset the account, I would really appreciate it.

• I'm a newbie attempting to install Daz3D for the first time on my Mac running OS 10.9.5. I downloaded the Daz Install Manager first, as recommended, but when I try to install it I get the error message window attached below. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at - September 15, 2017 - 8.58.15 .png
    429 x 168 - 29K
  • hi, im on a new laptop and i can get the install manager to install.  when i download it, only a blank rectangle box appears.  daz, itself installed just fine once i did it manually.