How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Thanks ... That helps. I also found a good video tutorial on YouTube created by esha that's helping me. I don't do well with written instructions; video is so much easier. Plus, my head is still wrapped around DCC.

Is there a way to freeze a simulation after the drape is finally the way I want it so I can't accidentally screw it up?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Is there a way to freeze a simulation after the drape is finally the way I want it so I can't accidentally screw it up?

Yes, it is in the Parameters pane. Be aware that if you Clear simulation in the Simulation Settings pane, that will undo the freeze. Instead you can clear the simulation settings on only the selected item (accessible from the Simulation Settings context menu). Please read through this valuable thread. Your many questions are answered here in Rich's information. Sure, there are a lot of pages to read, but they are chock full of what you need to know. If you want to use dForce, invest the time in reading this thread.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited July 2019

If you do an animated simulation, you can go back through the frames and pick the one you like best. If you do static, you can't. The control is under Simulation Settings pane/Duration/Frames to Simulate. You can use animated simulation even if you are not changing any pose during the simulation. If it stops short of where you like, you can extend the timeline to see if that helps.

Edit: oops, I misread you comment, thought you were looking for way to go back to an earlier stage in the simulation. Sometimes simulations go too far.

Post edited by RGcincy on
    Karen said:

barbult said:

The dynamic add-on polylines don't seem to be doing anything any more (DS 4.11.0.338). In the quick test I ran after reading your message, the simulation came out exactly the same, whether I used a dynamic add-on polylines or not. I even downloaded the script again, in case it had been updated. In the cube example, I had two add ons. One was diagonal from opposite corners and one was vertical from top to bottom. See the scene and renders attached to this message.

It is really weird. I took a screenshot of the "elastics".

And maybe the dforce add on surface settings are also of interest. They have less sliders than the other add-ons I use.

Please submit a help request to inform Daz of your discovery of this problem. Tell customer service the exact steps they need to perform to duplicate the problem in DS 4.11.0.383.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

Excuse me if this question has been asked before.... it's quite a long thread.

When I have multiple items simulated in a scene and just want to un-simulate one item, it seems that even if I make the other items "not visible" and "frozen", clearing the simulation will reset all the dForce items.

Is there any way to clear simulation on a per-item basis?

Yes. Click on Simulation Settings pane's menu (icon with four horizontal lines at either the upper left or right of the pane window), select dForce, then select Clear dForce Simulation from Selected Item(s)

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

Thank you RGcincy. Just what I needed!

• KarenKaren Posts: 81

@barbult: Okay, sent a ticket. I hope, they have an idea, of what's going on.

• arrayarray Posts: 10
    edited July 2019

In the dog leash example, can someone help me understand what is keeping the handle of the leash following the sphere? when i try it does not at all.

Post edited by array on

In the dog leash example, can someone help me understand what is keeping the handle of the leash following the sphere? when i try it does not at all.

I'm assuming you have the dForce modifier added to the leash. Does it not follow at all or does it lose connection during movement? Remember the leash is attached at the dog collar, and if you pull the sphere too quickly or farther away than the length of the leash, you could pull the sphere off. If that's the case, set your animation to either be slower or leave some looseness in the leash as it is moving. If that doesn;t help, post a screen shot so I can see what it looks like.

Which thread in the index covers draping conforming clothing and forcing collars & buttons & pockets & such to stay put. I'm trying to mess with the m4 cowboy shirt, and though it doesn't fall apart at the seams, the details distort. 

daz screenshot m4 cowboy shirt dforce.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 103K

This thread mostly deals with non-clothing uses of dForce although a few posts do deal with making/using self-made clothing. I think the thread dForce, dWeight and dWardrobe. Chronicles of... is more likely to be of help. Post 1 of that thread has a quick index.

For things like collars, buttons, and pockets, if they are separate surfaces, I set the surface property Dynamics Strength to 0. That will tend to keep them in their current position. If you need them to drape somewhat, set  Dynamics Strength to 0.8 or 0.9.

RGcincy said:

This thread mostly deals with non-clothing uses of dForce although a few posts do deal with making/using self-made clothing. I think the thread dForce, dWeight and dWardrobe. Chronicles of... is more likely to be of help. Post 1 of that thread has a quick index.

For things like collars, buttons, and pockets, if they are separate surfaces, I set the surface property Dynamics Strength to 0. That will tend to keep them in their current position. If you need them to drape somewhat, set  Dynamics Strength to 0.8 or 0.9.

Thanks for the assist :)

• RGcincy said:
    carrie58 said:

Question could you save it as a scene subset ,close DS the reload the scene ,and drape more stuff? or would you have to re-drape everything?

When you save a scene, it will open as you left it, with any items saved in simulated form opening in simulated form. You can add more items, but to avoid re-simulating existing objects that are finished, you need to go to the Scene pane, select the object, open the Simulation tab, and turn Freeze Simulation to ON for any items you want to preserve. Also, don't hit the Clear button on the Simulation Settings pane as it will reset everything to it's starting shape.

Was this in an older version of DAZ? Cause in 4.11 I don't see this option *anywhere*. Actually even watching a dForce YouTube vid, there were options that aren't on mine, and the menu is soooo much smaller. What gives? I need one cloth to drape over another already draped and I can't get it.

You may have to execute a command called Update & Merge Menus. From DS main menu, select Window/Workspace/Update & Merge Menus. I think that's what I had to do for the 4.11 beta

RGcincy said:

You may have to execute a command called Update & Merge Menus. From DS main menu, select Window/Workspace/Update & Merge Menus. I think that's what I had to do for the 4.11 beta

I had to do that, too. I have to do it again every so often, as well.

• Looking to simulate an object moving into dynamic cloth rather than having cloth move onto object. For example, a tail wagging through item of clothing, or morphing a body parts outward and lifting the cloth. Can this be done. Daz 4.11

Add dForce modifier to the cloth. Set gravity and air resistance to zero. Then animate the tail (for example) to push into and through the cloth. When you run a simulated simulation, the tail will push the cloth without it falling. If you want the cloth to fall as well, give it some gravity but you may want to try out values lower than one.

To animate a body part with a morph, animate it so it starts at frame 0 below the cloth and then have it push out over the animation time. Normal gravity can be used.

edited August 2019

73. Blindfold. A forum member asked for help on creating a blindfold. It took more tries than I expected but I figured out a method that is explained here.

a. Load a figure (I used G3M).

b. Create a Y-positive primitive cylinder of diameter 9 inches and length 3 inches. Use 12 segments and 100 sides to give enough divisions for the mesh to transform.

c. Using the Geometry Editor, select all the faces on the top of the cylinder and hide them. Do the same for the bottom of the cylinder. Then delete the hidden faces (these actions can all be accessed by right-clicking in the viewport when the Geometry Editor is active).

d. Position the cylinder over the figure’s face. I used Y-translate of 163.

e. Adjust the scale of the cylinder so the figure’s head is entirely inside (that includes nose and ears). I used 100, 167, and 116% for X, Y, and Z.

f. Set up an animated timeline. Select the cylinder and set a key frame at frame 0. Go to frame 10 and change Y- and Z-scale to 100%.

g. Add the dForce dynamic modifier from the Edit/Object/Geometry menu.

h. Set gravity and air resistance to 0 in the Simulation Settings pane. This will keep the blindfold from falling down while simulating.

i. Select the cylinder and in the Surfaces pane, set Contraction-Expansion Ratio to 75%. This will cause the cylinder to shrink tight against the head.

j. You might experience some skin pokethrough, so add a smoothing modifier from the Edit/Object/Geometry menu. Turn ON smoothing and collision (set Collision Item to be your figure).

k. Run a custom animation simulation. I used 14 frames.

l. Here is the result:

m. For a narrower blindfold, set Y-scale to 125% and Y-translate to 164.5 at frame 0:

n. You can take a similar approach to wrap the band around the wrists. You’ll need to adjust scale, translation, and rotation as needed to keep the band in frame 0 clear of the body parts.

dForce blindfold cylinder placement.jpg
    572 x 473 - 39K
    dForce blindfold.jpg
    600 x 600 - 174K
    dForce blindfold 2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 160K
    dForce blindfold on hands.jpg
    600 x 600 - 191K
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 240
    RGcincy said:

73. Blindfold. ...

Many thanks for yet another great how-to!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited September 2019

Wow, this has turned into the best thread in the forums!

I looked but I didn't see nothing that would explain on do we choose on has to put things in different collision layers?

Example I'm trying to dForce now but surprising explodes despite there simple look are the Genesis Men's Pajamas.

Now I'm not sure if it's the top pocket that's exploding or the collar. 

When I set up this like this:

a) i make the character static & visible & put in collision layer 1

b) all hair & accessories static & not visible in simulation

c) house slippers, static, visible, collision layer 2

d) PJ bottoms, dynamic & collision layer 3

e) PJ top, dynamic & collision layer 4

f) Then I simulate using the defaults including simulate to current frame using a saved pose (the simulation starts with the A Pose (T Pose) and runs frame by frame until at the current pose).

It explodes.

Should I be putting the PJ top pocket in a seperate layer 5 and make the pocket have very high friction? Should I do the same with the PJ top collar? What about the buttons even though I think they are just textures?

Also should I do the same thing in the future with belts & belt buckles, badges, corsages, and so on?

Thanks!

+++++

Nevermind, it looks OK without it. Thanks.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

@nonesuch00 I didn't see your post until tonight. I was traveling when you made it and must have missed the auto-notice. Sorry I overlooked it. I saw your edit that you got it to work OK but will answer anyway.

Regarding explosions, I usually find setting Bend Stiffness to 0.2 on all surfaces does a lot to stop them. Then I usually set Dynamics Strength to 0 for things like buttons, collars, pockets, etc. That means they won't simulate and will hold in position (you can later test 0.9 or 0.95 to see if that is tolerated). You can do that easily if they are separate surfaces; otherwise you'll need to add a weight node and paint a reduce strength in those areas. 

For layers of clothing, I usually do the lowest layer by itself, then freeze simulation on that item and do the upper layer by itself. Just be sure not to click on the Clear button at any point as it will clear frozen simulations and you have to start over.

If you want to do both items at once, you can set Collision Layers and Collision Offset as you did. You don't need to set them for static objects. If the clothing items intersect, you'll have to scale one to be bigger at the start and then scale it back to 100% in an animated simulation.

edited October 2019

I had to reinstall Daz on a new drive after a failure, so as I rebuilt my system I modified the dForce menu I've previously described. My first version had several submenus which required extra care to open and select so I simplified it by putting everything on one level. Below is a screen capture showing the new structure. The original post has the details on how to create a menu for yourself.

dForce new menu.png
    342 x 586 - 29K
    edited October 2019

74. Making a Breast Helper for Clothing. You can buy commercial products to do this but you can also make your own. There are two parts: Part 1 is making the helper and Part 2 is using the helper.

Part 1

a. Create a cylinder with the specs shown in the image below.

b. Go to Tool Settings pane and select the Geometry Editor. Select all the top faces of the cylinder, right click in the viewport, and choose Geometry Visibility/Hide Selected Polygon(s). Do the same for the lower faces. Then right click in the viewport and choose Geometry Editing/Delete Hidden Polygon(s). This will leave you with just the outside surface of the cylinder.

c. Raise the cylinder and position it around the breasts. Set Y-scale to 200% and Z-scale to 80%. Adjust X-rotate to -5.5%. Adjust Z-translate so cylinder clears all parts of the cylinder except leave a tiny bit embedded in the back corners of the figure.

d. Add a dForce modifier to the cylinder. On the Surfaces pane, set Contraction-Expansion Ratio to 80%.

e. On the Simulation Settings pane, set Gravity and Air Resistance to 0. Set Duration to be Animated Custom with frames 1 to 15.

f. Run the Simulation.

g. Add a Smoothing Modifier to the cylinder to smooth out wrinkles. This completes Part 1.     

Part 2:

h. Before doing anything else, on the Parameter pane under the Simulation tab, set Freeze Simulation to On for the cylinder. This will preserve the current shape.

i. After freezing the simulated cylinder, be sure to never hit the Clear button on the Simulation Settings pane as it will clear all simulations including those frozen and you will need to start over. Save your scene or scene subset so you can return to it if you accidently hit that button.

j. Add a shirt to your figure. I used 70’s Gym Uniform for Genesis 3 Females. You’ll find the shirt conforms to the figure with the helper partially visible.

k. Add a dForce modifier to the shirt. This shirt can use the default surface properties but other clothing items may require Bend Stiffness to be set to 0.2.

l. Select the cylinder in the scene pane, go to the animation timeline pane and set a keyframe at frame 10. Go to frame 0 and set the scale for the cylinder to 50%. Go back to frame 10 and be sure scale is back to 100%. This will hide the helper within the figure at first, then it will push out the shirt as the simulation proceeds.

m. Set gravity to 1. Run the simulation. You will see the gap between the breasts has smoothed out.

n. Hide the cylinder and repose the figure. Since the shirt was deformed already, the helper effect stays with the shirt.

o. This is what the shirt would look like for this pose with a dForce simulation on the shirt and no helper in use.

p. You can repeat Part 1 with the new pose (simulate the helper) then Part 2 (simulate the shirt) but I find the results shown in step n acceptable without the added work.

dForce breast helper cylinder.png
    249 x 363 - 18K
    dForce breast helper cylinder before sim 80z.png
    643 x 559 - 236K
    dForce breast helper cylinder after sim 80ce ratio.png
    643 x 559 - 235K
    dForce breast helper cylinder after sim smoothed.png
    643 x 559 - 232K
    dForce breast helper cylinder after sim front.png
    643 x 559 - 276K
    dForce breast helper freeze.png
    489 x 159 - 17K
    dForce breast helper gym shirt.png
    643 x 559 - 411K
    dForce breast helper gym shirt after sim.png
    643 x 559 - 432K
    dForce breast helper pose 2.png
    643 x 559 - 452K
    dForce breast helper pose 2 resimmed wo helper.png
    643 x 559 - 453K
    dForce breast helper pose 2 resimmed w helper.png
    643 x 559 - 438K
    edited October 2019

I previously posted some simplified directions for this and promised a more detailed version, so here it is.

75. Skin Indentation: Punch to Face. Someone a few pages ago asked about showing a face being hit. Here is how to simulate it.

a. Set up the pose so the fist is embedding into the jaw at frame 8.

b. Add a dForce modifier and weight node to the figure being struck.

c. Create influence map and select all, set weight to 0, then paint influence onto the jaw, cheeks, lips, etc. Red indicates highest influence; lack of color indicates no influence.

d. dForce moves surfaces, not volume. To show a reaction to the punch, I set several face parameters to what’s shown in the image below.

e. Hide the upper and lower jaw and tongue to avoid an explosion.

f. To show reaction on the opposite side of the face, I embedded a sphere within the head. At frame 0 it’s hidden within the face. At frame 8 it’s scaled so it protrudes outside the face.

g. Set Gravity and Air Resistance to 0.

h. (Optional) To speed up simulation, hide as much of the two figures as you can, leaving only the head of the one and the punching arm of the other. Tip: hold down ctrl while clicking on an eye and it will hide/show all children.

i. Run the simulation and you will see the jaw and cheek deform under the punch.

j. After simulation the teeth may be jutting out of the jaw. I used translate parameters to move them (don't move the jaw, just the teeth).

k. There was one odd behavior while doing this: the jaws begins to deform before the fist is close. Not sure what’s driving that but I presume it’s the dForce parameters making adjustments. If after the sim the fist is not right at the skin, move the hand in closer before rendering.

l. You can adjust the size and position of the sphere and repaint the weight map as needed to get the look you want as I did for the render below. 

dForce face punch setup frame 8.png
    643 x 559 - 410K
    dForce face punch weight map 8.png
    643 x 559 - 351K
    dForce face punch face settings.png
    313 x 379 - 39K
    dForce face punch sphere.png
    643 x 559 - 351K
    dForce face punch after sim.png
    643 x 559 - 391K
    dForce face punch after sim teeth.png
    643 x 559 - 431K
    dForce face punch after sim teeth moved.png
    643 x 559 - 430K
    dForce skin indentation face punch.png
    600 x 600 - 458K

That's clever, Rich, and the results are excellent.

Thanks Barbult. There's a lot you can do with dForce to move meshes around.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Is this a superior solution to using deformers?

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    RGcincy said:

I previously posted some simplified directions for this and promised a more detailed version, so here it is.

75. Skin Indentation: Punch to Face. Someone a few pages ago asked about showing a face being hit. Here is how to simulate it.

a. Set up the pose so the fist is embedding into the jaw at frame 8.

b. Add a dForce modifier and weight node to the figure being struck.

c. Create influence map and select all, set weight to 0, then paint influence onto the jaw, cheeks, lips, etc. Red indicates highest influence; lack of color indicates no influence.

d. dForce moves surfaces, not volume. To show a reaction to the punch, I set several face parameters to what’s shown in the image below.

e. Hide the upper and lower jaw and tongue to avoid an explosion.

f. To show reaction on the opposite side of the face, I embedded a sphere within the head. At frame 0 it’s hidden within the face. At frame 8 it’s scaled so it protrudes outside the face.

g. Set Gravity and Air Resistance to 0.

h. (Optional) To speed up simulation, hide as much of the two figures as you can, leaving only the head of the one and the punching arm of the other. Tip: hold down ctrl while clicking on an eye and it will hide/show all children.

i. Run the simulation and you will see the jaw and cheek deform under the punch.

j. After simulation the teeth may be jutting out of the jaw. I used translate parameters to move them (don't move the jaw, just the teeth).

k. There was one odd behavior while doing this: the jaws begins to deform before the fist is close. Not sure what’s driving that but I presume it’s the dForce parameters making adjustments. If after the sim the fist is not right at the skin, move the hand in closer before rendering.

l. You can adjust the size and position of the sphere and repaint the weight map as needed to get the look you want as I did for the render below. 

That was me Rich, and I sure appreciate you even following up after all this time! Explanation is very clear. yes