How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• Nikolai512BitNikolai512Bit Posts: 19
    edited April 2019
    RGcincy said:

My first try at face deformation

Frame 7                                                                  

Frame 10

It will be a while before I can write up more formally but basically:

1. Set up the pose so the fist is embedding into the jaw at frame 10.
    2. Add dForce modifier and weight node to the figure being struck
    3. Create influence map and select all, set weight to 0, then paint influence onto the jaw, cheeks, lips, etc.
    4. Set Gravity and Air Resistance to 0.
    5. (Optional) To speed up simulation, hide as much of the two figures as you can, leaving the head of the one and the punching arm of the other.
    6. I hid the upper and lower jaw and tongue, you may not need to.
    7. Run the simulation and you will see the jaw and cheek deform under the punch.
    8. Since dForce does not preserve volume, I added a sphere in the opposite jaw to show some reaction on that side of the face. At frame 0 it was hidden in the head, at frame 10 it extended out of the jaw and cheek.
    9. After simulation the teeth were jutting out of the jar on the figure's left. I used pose parameters to move them (don't move the jar, just the teeth).

There was one odd behavior while doing this - the jaws began to deform before the fist was close. Not sure what was driving that. After the sim, the skin was away from the fist so for the renders I moved the hand in closer.

Weight  Map:

Sphere Location Frame 10:

is there any video tutorial for Skin Indentationhow to apply a dynamic modifier and a dForce weight node to it? I can't even figure out the first step properly, I am a rookie :( 

Post edited by Nikolai512Bit on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited April 2019

is there any video tutorial for Skin Indentationhow to apply a dynamic modifier and a dForce weight node to it? I can't even figure out the first step properly, I am a rookie :( 

Not specifically for skin indentation. I do have a video in the store that covers the basics but it's not free: Powerful dForce Discoveries and Solutions. It also comes with a text guide that explains the steps for most major dForce tasks.

For written instructions, you can view these posts from this thread:

1. Adding dynamic modifier: steps d-g

2. Adding weight node: steps e-i

3. Adjusting gravity and air resistance

If you are new to dForce, you may also want to run through some of my early posts in this thread to get the hang of it. From the Table of Content look at topics 1, 2, 3, 11, 12

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 568

I noticed that some dForce clothing items come with parts that are "pinned" in place. I couldn't find a dForce modifier weight node on the clothing so I was really confused about how the parts were being pinned and couldn't figure out how to remove them. Then I decided to add a modifier myself to see if I could create my own weight map, and what do you know? The weight map with the pinned areas was suddenly visible to me, and I could edit it! It never dawned on me before that you don't need the modifier any longer once the weight map is applied. I assumed the weight map would be deleted if the modifier was deleted. Now that I understand how it really works, that little bit of information comes in handy. :D 

• RGcincy said:

Not specifically for skin indentation. I do have a video in the store that covers the basics but it's not free: Powerful dForce Discoveries and Solutions. It also comes with a text guide that explains the steps for most major dForce tasks.

For written instructions, you can view these posts from this thread:

1. Adding dynamic modifier: steps d-g

2. Adding weight node: steps e-i

3. Adjusting gravity and air resistance

If you are new to dForce, you may also want to run through some of my early posts in this thread to get the hang of it. From the Table of Content look at topics 1, 2, 3, 11, 12

Thanks a lot :) 

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Hey Rich..

The link 'Adjusting gravity and air resistence' doesn't work. 

sapat said:

Hey Rich..

Thanks for letting me know, I pasted the wrong text. Corrected in my original post and here it is too

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    RGcincy said:
    sapat said:

Hey Rich..

Thanks for letting me know, I pasted the wrong text. Corrected in my original post and here it is too

yes

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited May 2019

Just a quick Heads Up!

The latest beta, 4.11.0.366, requires you to Update and Merge Menus, (found in the Windows->Layout menu.) If you have created any custom menus, such as one for dForce as Rich shows how to do earlier in this thread, updating will lose those changes!

To save all that work, before you click on that option:

1. Browse to the AppData for the Studio4 Public Build, (For example, on a Windows computer, C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build )
    2. Copy Menu.dsx to a safe location on your computer.
    3. Update and Merge Menus.
    4. Close the DS beta.
    5. Make a backup of the new Menu.dsx file, just in case you make a mistake and need to start over.
    6. Open both the new and saved Menu.dsx files in your favorite plain text editor.
    7. Carefully copy just the custom menu you created from the saved file.
      • It will look something like this, for a dForce menu, but with a lot more entries:
          <SubMenu Default="false" Type="Custom" Label="dForce">
           <CustomAction Name="722304ce-866b-48ec-a341-151ff7449e74"/>
          </SubMenu>
    8. Paste the custom menu code into the new file.
    9. If you put the dforce menu at the far left of the menus, search for </MainMenu>, click at the beginning of that line, and paste the code there.
    10. Save the now modified new Menu.dsx file.
    11. Open the DS beta and verify the menus are as they should be.

If you feel uncomfortable editing the file, you can always recreate the custom menus as you did originally.

Post edited by L'Adair on

thanks for the tip L'Adair. I'll keep that in mind when I update my beta (I haven't tried the newest yet since there was an issue with my video card and Windows OS).

• Thank you so much! I had no clue how to do that and had to recreate that menu a number of times blush

L'Adair said:

Just a quick Heads Up!

The latest beta, 4.11.0.366, requires you to Update and Merge Menus, (found in the Windows->Layout menu.) If you have created any custom menus, such as one for dForce as Rich shows how to do earlier in this thread, updating will lose those changes!

1. Browse to the AppData for the Studio4 Public Build, (For example, on a Windows computer, C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build )
    4. Close the DS beta.
    5. Make a backup of the new Menu.dsx file, just in case you make a mistake and need to start over.
    6. Open both the new and saved Menu.dsx files in your favorite plain text editor.
      • It will look something like this, for a dForce menu, but with a lot more entries:
          </SubMenu>
    9. If you put the dforce menu at the far left of the menus, search for </MainMenu>, click at the beginning of that line, and paste the code there.

If you feel uncomfortable editing the file, you can always recreate the custom menus as you did originally.

edited May 2019

Thank you so much! I had no clue how to do that and had to recreate that menu a number of times blush

You're welcome. After having to redo my scripts menu when dForce came along, I suspected the same would happen here. I figured out what to do, as I now I have three custom menus, including Scripts, Favorites and dForce, and I really, really didn't want to have to redo all of those from scratch! Just figured I'd pass on what I learned.

RGcincy said:

thanks for the tip L'Adair. I'll keep that in mind when I update my beta (I haven't tried the newest yet since there was an issue with my video card and Windows OS).

You're welcome.

Post edited by L'Adair on

I just wanted to let you all know that you no longer need to go through the steps below to preserve your custom menus for the beta. With Beta 4.11.0.382, (and possibly 380, but I was in the middle of a project and hadn't installed 380 before 382 came out,) the install now separates our custom menus into their own file, customactions.dsx.

Frankly, I went into a small panic when I couldn't find any custom menu items in menu.dsx after installing the update. To my mind, they should have been there, as I hadn't run the Update and Merge Menus action. Thankfully, my text editor can also search the disk, so I was able to find the file they were stored in. Just thought I'd save y'all that moment of panic…!

L'Adair said:

Just a quick Heads Up!

4. Close the DS beta.
          </SubMenu>

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370
    edited June 2019

Thanks for this, L'Adair. So is there anything we need to do now to preserve our custom actions? I haven't installed the new Beta yet. 

Post edited by Leonides02 on

Thanks for this, L'Adair. So is there anything we need to do now to preserve our custom actions? I haven't installed the new Beta yet. 

Theoretically, you don't have to do anything. Realistically, I'd still save a copy of the menu.dsx file before installing the new beta. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again L'Adair. I also tried the script Richard mentions in this thread to transfer my entire workspace design from 4.10 to 4.11, not only the layout of the panes but also my custom dForce menu. I did this on the release before the current one, so I don't know if it works on the most recent.

RGcincy said:

Thanks again L'Adair. I also tried the script Richard mentions in this thread to transfer my entire workspace design from 4.10 to 4.11, not only the layout of the panes but also my custom dForce menu. I did this on the release before the current one, so I don't know if it works on the most recent.

Thanks for the link to the script. Unfortunately, something in it messed up my dForce Menu. Good thing I had saved the layout a while back. I was able to get it back. Using the script, with a bit of modification, I was finally able to switch my layout from City Lights Lite to the full City Lights, and keep my custom menus and toolbars. It took some deep-diving into the dsx files for older layout saves and the new one, and some copy/paste from one file to another, but I finally got it done.

It sure would be nice if Daz had a script that would let you change layouts without losing your customizations. It took me about an hour and a half to do something that a well written script could have accomplished in under a minute.

But at least it's done.

• KhajiirahKhajiirah Posts: 10

Hello Peoples, i am new to DAZ, i watched so many tutorials also yours here are great and i'm very thankful for each tutorial someone gives or uploades somewhere.

But it doesen't matter how long i search and go trough the google search results, i can't find any tutorial wich shows how to prevent my clothes from clipping or falling trough objects, or surfaces.

As an exaple, i loaded my character, added the clothes, added the dforce parameters and everything is working fine, exept, the clothes below my character won't toch the ground, or bed, or other surfaces, they simply falling trough just as there would be no surface.

I attached a picture to show you, aww plase help, i can't work anymore till i figured out how this gets fixed.

Greetings,

Samantha.

Image1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 217K
  • Highly disappointed Studio 10 & Beta abjectly fail to recognize a nVidia RTX card as an OpenCL device despite nV supporting OpenCL in their drivers and chairing the working group.

What's the snarl in Studio's code that can't work with cards newer than the GTX 10-series?

• Hello Peoples, i am new to DAZ, i watched so many tutorials also yours here are great and i'm very thankful for each tutorial someone gives or uploades somewhere.

But it doesen't matter how long i search and go trough the google search results, i can't find any tutorial wich shows how to prevent my clothes from clipping or falling trough objects, or surfaces.

As an exaple, i loaded my character, added the clothes, added the dforce parameters and everything is working fine, exept, the clothes below my character won't toch the ground, or bed, or other surfaces, they simply falling trough just as there would be no surface.

I attached a picture to show you, aww plase help, i can't work anymore till i figured out how this gets fixed.

Greetings,

Samantha.

I'm not sure what the screen shot is showing.

• Highly disappointed Studio 10 & Beta abjectly fail to recognize a nVidia RTX card as an OpenCL device despite nV supporting OpenCL in their drivers and chairing the working group.

What's the snarl in Studio's code that can't work with cards newer than the GTX 10-series?

Which drivers are you using? I'm sure people have been able to use the 20x0 cards for dForce.

• Vanger ChevaneVanger Chevane Posts: 10
    edited June 2019

Highly disappointed Studio 10 & Beta abjectly fail to recognize a nVidia RTX card as an OpenCL device despite nV supporting OpenCL in their drivers and chairing the working group.

Which drivers are you using? I'm sure people have been able to use the 20x0 cards for dForce.

The latest Studio drivers - 430.86, which are optimized for non-gaming & I check at least every other week.  Issue is NOT the drivers, which have long had OpenCL support & Studio recognizes the GTX 10-series as an OpenCL device.  Since nV chairs the working group, it'd be intensly silly for them to put out anything that didn't work with OpenCL.

But DAZ can't see OpenCL with a RTX20-series despite having full iRay support & it just screams on render.  This has existed since I bought my ROG Strix 2080 & tried to get Studio to play nice with it regardless of driver version used from nV.

I beleive it was the in the 4.11 beta thread right after purchase I found ppl noting dF fails to see RTX cards.

Post edited by Vanger Chevane on
  • KarenKaren Posts: 81

Hi, does anyone know, what has happened to the "Generate_Polyline_Dynamic_Surface_AddOn" Script?

It does not work for me anymore (Daz Studio 4.11.0.383) . The Polylines behave like rubberbands.

I'm still on 4.10 so can't check it out myself. Can anyone else take a look?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited July 2019
    Karen said:

Hi, does anyone know, what has happened to the "Generate_Polyline_Dynamic_Surface_AddOn" Script?

It does not work for me anymore (Daz Studio 4.11.0.383) . The Polylines behave like rubberbands.

The dynamic add-on polylines don't seem to be doing anything any more (DS 4.11.0.338). In the quick test I ran after reading your message, the simulation came out exactly the same, whether I used a dynamic add-on polylines or not. I even downloaded the script again, in case it had been updated. In the cube example, I had two add ons. One was diagonal from opposite corners and one was vertical from top to bottom. See the scene and renders attached to this message.

Cube two dynamic add ons DS 4.11.0.338.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    duf
    duf
    cube 50.duf
    Cube NO add ons DS 4.11.0.338.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Rather than reading all 30 pages since odds are no one else is trying to drape a Genesis 8 top on a V4 body, lol, I'm gonna risk asking without reading... How do I dforce a garment I can't 'fit' to the figure? I'm new at this, so please dummy it down for me.

The shirt I'm trying to drape: https://www.daz3d.com/school-girl-costume-set-for-genesis-8-females I'm likely going to need the same info for the skirt. I was going to cheat and just drape with DCC, because I know how to do that, but the 'tied' part falls away and I don't know how to weld it in place (in anyone can tell me how to find and weld seams in hex, I'd be eternally grateful). And when I try to just run the out-of-both dforce simulation, it moves my figure to v4's default pose and not the v-arm-pose that matches the top's sleeves. Getting very frustrating.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

Rather than reading all 30 pages since odds are no one else is trying to drape a Genesis 8 top on a V4 body, lol, I'm gonna risk asking without reading... How do I dforce a garment I can't 'fit' to the figure? I'm new at this, so please dummy it down for me.

The shirt I'm trying to drape: https://www.daz3d.com/school-girl-costume-set-for-genesis-8-females I'm likely going to need the same info for the skirt. I was going to cheat and just drape with DCC, because I know how to do that, but the 'tied' part falls away and I don't know how to weld it in place (in anyone can tell me how to find and weld seams in hex, I'd be eternally grateful). And when I try to just run the out-of-both dforce simulation, it moves my figure to v4's default pose and not the v-arm-pose that matches the top's sleeves. Getting very frustrating.

What happens when you turn Start Bones from Memorized Pose off?

And when I try to just run the out-of-both dforce simulation, it moves my figure to v4's default pose and not the v-arm-pose that matches the top's sleeves. 

As Sevrin hinted at, turn Start Bones from Memorized Pose to off, otherwise it will move to the standard pose, drape for a period of time, then it should transition to the desired pose. It can take a while to drape in the default pose before transitioning depending upon the complexity of the garment and scene. You can also use an animated simulation which lets you check the progress if it seems to not be working.

Check out posts 42 and 43.which use a Silo shirt that is not conforming, simply a prop. Your situation should mimic it I would think.

BTW, there is a table of contents and an index on the first page of this thread. That can help identify some possible posts that may be relevant to what you or others are trying to accomplish.

• KarenKaren Posts: 81

barbult said:

The dynamic add-on polylines don't seem to be doing anything any more (DS 4.11.0.338). In the quick test I ran after reading your message, the simulation came out exactly the same, whether I used a dynamic add-on polylines or not. I even downloaded the script again, in case it had been updated. In the cube example, I had two add ons. One was diagonal from opposite corners and one was vertical from top to bottom. See the scene and renders attached to this message.

It is really weird. I took a screenshot of the "elastics".

And maybe the dforce add on surface settings are also of interest. They have less sliders than the other add-ons I use.

1.jpg
    591 x 626 - 335K
    2.jpg
    511 x 420 - 105K
    3.jpg
    510 x 802 - 240K
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    Sevrin said:

Sevrin said:

I don't have any idea of what that is or what/where to do that, lol. Not something I had to do with DCC.

RGcincy said:

Check out posts 42 and 43.which use a Silo shirt that is not conforming, simply a prop. Your situation should mimic it I would think.

BTW, there is a table of contents and an index on the first page of this thread. That can help identify some possible posts that may be relevant to what you or others are trying to accomplish.

Thanks ... And so awesome to have an indexed thread. Never seen that before so didn't even think to look. :) So far, DCC seems much more user-friendly. 

Thanks for the help, everyone.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300
    Sevrin said:

Sevrin said:

I don't have any idea of what that is or what/where to do that, lol. Not something I had to do with DCC.

Annotation 2019-07-15 114423.png
    506 x 272 - 28K