Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited May 2019

Can someone write a brief tutorial on how this script works? I ran it with Rune 7, and it supposedly completed -- but then it just deleted everything in the scene. Where am I supposed to find the morph?

Also, I can't transfer Olympia 7 to G8 Female. It gets stuck as it's "correcting ERC links." Would someone mind testing to see if it's just me?

Thank you!

Can someone write a brief tutorial on how this script works? I ran it with Rune 7 to G8 Female, and it supposedly completed -- but then it just deleted everything in the scene. Where am I supposed to find the morph?

Also, I can't transfer Olympia 7 to G8 Female. It gets stuck as it's "correcting ERC links." Would someone mind testing to see if it's just me?

(The 34 seconds is just for the screenshot. Previously I let it run for 7 minutes)

Thank you!

Some morphs will get stuck on "Correcting ERC Links". I'm not sure if there is a fix for it. As far as I can tell Singular Blues wasn't able to duplicate that error.

So far, the steps that SEEM to work best for me is:

1) Load ONLY the "Base" figures for the morphs you want to transfer. So say you want to transfer Victoria 6 to Genesis 8 Female. Load Only Base Genesis 2 Female (no morphs dialled in) and Only Base Genesis 8 Female (no morphs dialled in). Start the script.

2) From the "Select a Figure" dropdown select the Source (in this case Genesis 2 Female) and select the Target (in this case Genesis 8 Female).

3) In the "Enter Text to Filter by..." type in Victoria 6. Put a check mark by "Victoria 6", "Victoria 6 Body", and "Victoria 6 Head".

4) Highlight "Victoria 6 Body" and at the bottom where it says "Type" choose "Body". Where it says "Bake Mode" choose "Bake Source Shape".

5) Highlight "Victoria 6 Head" and at the bottom change the "Type" to "Head".

6) Select "Output Library" (where you want the morphs to go, since this is a "beta" I highly recommend setting up a "Test Library" for both this script as well as the transfer morphs -so if something goes wrong you can quarantine the script and the morphs from the rest of your content library).

6) Hit "Accept". After the transfer is done (if it doesn't get hung up on "Correcting ERC Links") and the "Process Complete" box pops up, click "Exit". 

7) Now completely close out Daz Studio. And then start Daz Studio back up again. (It needs to reload so that the morphs show up in the Shaping Tab.)

8) Load up Genesis 8 Female and in the shaping tab type in Victoria 6 in the search. You should be able to find the new morphs that way.

Some morphs will need an "Edit" >> "Rigging" >> "Adjust Rigging to Shape" - Like I believe the Victoria 6 transferred morph does.

So far those are the steps that seem to work for me. I'm still experimenting with it though. I could be doing it wrong but after a lot of trial and error those steps seem to give decent results so far. :)

Thanks for the write-up, Diva. Although if this only works in the base figures, I have to say that’s very disappointing. I was hoping to transfer characters I made from G3 to G8.

Oh, you can transfer any morph, as far as I can tell (except HD morphs, I'm sure). You just need to load the "Base" figures when doing the transfer so that the script doesn't get confused. Once you load the base figure you should be able to find any morph made for that figure on the list.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited May 2019

Here's a character I dialled up with the Girl 4 "Iconic shape" for genesis transferred to Genesis 8 Female:

G8F - w Girl 4 Morphs SingularBlues Script.png
    800 x 1040 - 531K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • mats76mats76 Posts: 289
    edited May 2019

Singular Blues, thanks so much for all your work! yesyes

Here is the result of my first attempt to use your script to transfer the Ivan 7 character to G8.

To begin, the script won't find the morphs if you open the Ivan 7 character from the Character folder in Library, so I just loaded a basic G3M and dialed in the head and body morphs under Properties. With the dialed G3 and an unmodified G8M figure in the scene window, I opened your script and selected the figures as the appropriate source and target.

This brought up pages and pages of G3M morphs, so for this test I only selected three morphs: Ivan 7 head, Ivan 7 body and Ivan 7.

Then I let your script run, with the result shown in the image. You will note that the arms on G8 are deformed, and there are other differences, too, but I put that down to my not having selected enough morphs to transfer.

After all, I only wanted to see what would happen, and this test is encouraging. It is in no way a criticism, and only means I need to experiment more to get the results I want. I do not need a perfect transfer, and will be happy if I can get a G8 character which could pass for Ivan's brother. It's possible the extreme body morph of Ivan won't transfer, but I have G8M morphs that make the Ivan 7 body unnecessary.

Thanks again smiley

​Just load the G3M and Gm8 to the scen, do not apply any morphs to G3M. In the script menue just choose one morph (Ivan body for example).

Ivan 7 transfered to Genesis 8

Ivan 7 Genesis 8.png
    2048 x 2048 - 2M
    Post edited by mats76 on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Here's a character I dialled up with the Girl 4 "Iconic shape" for genesis transferred to Genesis 8 Female:

It looks awesome! :D

And thank you for your tips! I'll look into them once my current huge batch rendering session will end.

So, let's say I want to make a single slider with the G8F morphs, and use it on a G8M figure, I should

• Create the G8F I want
    • Save it as a character (I don't recall of that is done, but there was a tutorial I guess) with relative full body morph
    • Load it with the base G8M, and use the script

Right?

edited May 2019
    LenioTG said:

And thank you for your tips! I'll look into them once my current huge batch rendering session will end.

So, let's say I want to make a single slider with the G8F morphs, and use it on a G8M figure, I should

• Create the G8F I want
    • Save it as a character (I don't recall of that is done, but there was a tutorial I guess) with relative full body morph

Right?

If you have a "dial spun" character with a lot of morphs dialled in, you'll either need to transfer each one of the morphs individually or create a single full body morph containing all the morphs you've dialled in. That involves exporting the character as an OBJ then reimporting it back in and making a morph out of it.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    LenioTG said:

• Create the G8F I want

Right?

If you have a "dial spun" character with a lot of morphs dialled in, you'll either need to transfer each one of the morphs individually or create a single full body morph containing all the morphs you've dialled in. That involves exporting the character as an OBJ then reimporting it back in and making a morph out of it.

Since I use hundreds of morphs during the creation of a character, I guess the 2nd option would be better!

I'll look for a tutorial that explains that process, thanks :)

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Thanks for the tips, Divamakeup and Mats76! Good to know smiley

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    LenioTG said:
    LenioTG said:

• Create the G8F I want

Right?

Since I use hundreds of morphs during the creation of a character, I guess the 2nd option would be better!

This disadvantage of creating a single body morph via the export/import of an obj, is that you will lose all the correction JCMs, so you need to think carefully before going this route. For head morphs this is not a major problem, but a lot of body morphs need the JCMs for optimal bending.

Havos said:
    LenioTG said:
    LenioTG said:

• Create the G8F I want

Right?

This disadvantage of creating a single body morph via the export/import of an obj, is that you will lose all the correction JCMs, so you need to think carefully before going this route. For head morphs this is not a major problem, but a lot of body morphs need the JCMs for optimal bending.

Uh...I don't even know what JCMs are :(

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited May 2019
    LenioTG said:
    Havos said:
    LenioTG said:
    LenioTG said:

• Create the G8F I want

Right?

They are corrective morphs that apply when certains bones are bent, to improve the quality of the bend. On the whole end users do not need to know about them, since they do their work silently in the background as you morph and pose your figure.

Post edited by Havos on
    Havos said:
    LenioTG said:
    Havos said:
    LenioTG said:
    LenioTG said:

• Create the G8F I want

Right?

They are corrective morphs that apply when certains bones are bent, to improve the quality of the bend. On the whole end users do not need to know about them, since they do their work silently in the background as you morph and pose your figure.

I see, thank you! :)

• jimmyzpopjimmyzpop Posts: 116

Can someone write a brief tutorial on how this script works? I ran it with Rune 7 to G8 Female, and it supposedly completed -- but then it just deleted everything in the scene. Where am I supposed to find the morph?

(The 34 seconds is just for the screenshot. Previously I let it run for 7 minutes)

Thank you!

Some morphs will get stuck on "Correcting ERC Links". I'm not sure if there is a fix for it. As far as I can tell Singular Blues wasn't able to duplicate that error.

1) Load ONLY the "Base" figures for the morphs you want to transfer. So say you want to transfer Victoria 6 to Genesis 8 Female. Load Only Base Genesis 2 Female (no morphs dialled in) and Only Base Genesis 8 Female (no morphs dialled in). Start the script.

2) From the "Select a Figure" dropdown select the Source (in this case Genesis 2 Female) and select the Target (in this case Genesis 8 Female).

3) In the "Enter Text to Filter by..." type in Victoria 6. Put a check mark by "Victoria 6", "Victoria 6 Body", and "Victoria 6 Head".

4) Highlight "Victoria 6 Body" and at the bottom where it says "Type" choose "Body". Where it says "Bake Mode" choose "Bake Source Shape".

6) Select "Output Library" (where you want the morphs to go, since this is a "beta" I highly recommend setting up a "Test Library" for both this script as well as the transfer morphs -so if something goes wrong you can quarantine the script and the morphs from the rest of your content library).

6) Hit "Accept". After the transfer is done (if it doesn't get hung up on "Correcting ERC Links") and the "Process Complete" box pops up, click "Exit". 

7) Now completely close out Daz Studio. And then start Daz Studio back up again. (It needs to reload so that the morphs show up in the Shaping Tab.)

8) Load up Genesis 8 Female and in the shaping tab type in Victoria 6 in the search. You should be able to find the new morphs that way.

Some morphs will need an "Edit" >> "Rigging" >> "Adjust Rigging to Shape" - Like I believe the Victoria 6 transferred morph does.

So far those are the steps that seem to work for me. I'm still experimenting with it though. I could be doing it wrong but after a lot of trial and error those steps seem to give decent results so far. :)

Thank you. Following your instructions got it to work for me. 

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited May 2019

Wow. That's way too much to respond to with quotes. I've created a monster :D

@Divamakeup, there's nothing to be sad about. I'm not quitting the development (anyone who tries to push a commit to the master on Github will see that, since I have to approve changes). If you look deeper as time goes on, you'll be seeing documentation of what needs to be done, and the problems left open for people to work on. Some problems will be assigned to me, only because I am the only who can do it quickly. (Example, the head splits don't conform to the way head split is done on G8. I want that to be a better match, so it doesn't lead to weirdly different results for transfer between G8s. I wrote a tool to generate that data, and it's not in the code base. I'm not the only person who could do it, in theory, but I am the only person who already knows all the details, and has a custom tool that speeds the process, massively. Also, the What's This data is seriously incomplete. Again, it's not something that only I can do, but I am the only person on Earth who doesn't have to figure out or guess what the buttons are for. And I have a plan for that, as well.)

When I said the next to do was make a To Do, that's going to be turned into a list of known issues that need solving, and entered into Git so anyone can see what's not done. As there are more issues discovered, they'll be added to the Git. If more people do become involved with the project, one hopes to see issues handled faster. If not, you can expect that I won't be getting to things very fast, but they will be noted, and be listed under "things I'll get 'round to if no one else does."

@Dragonfly_2004, Diva and @Mats76 pretty much covered it (Although, it's the opposite of "just choose one morph," now. Those who know what that means, you can make it behave the old way by unticking the checkbox on the options tab. It's the only one checked by default). Also, overall, Diva's instructions are pretty much correct. There are details that need to be covered, but they largely apply to transfers from Generation3/4 and Genesis (and 3rd party Rendo stuff, but you can't have everything--also, you can't transfer directly from non-Genesis, but there are tools to transfer from Gen3/4 to G1/2/3 so that's what that means). I'll get 'round to documenting all that, but it's not for this release. I have explained how to do it a time or two, so I am not the only person who knows how. It's a low priority fix. However, documentation is on the list.

@Leonides02, as Diva said, it's known issue. I've narrowed it down, and I have a fix, or at least an idea how to fix it. Because I have that, I'll be assigning that to me, and it will be issue #1. I just need to get used to working on things in Git. (I did all my work in Notepad++, I haven't developed a Git centric workflow.)

As a general reinforcement, what Diva has said about bases is true. The script literally uses the state of the figures in the scene to do its work, so if they have been morphed or moved in any way, there will be distortions. Largely, things like bend improvement morphs should not be an issue, because the script needs to break all the ERC links before it runs, anyway (This is why the script now deletes the figures from the scene after it's done. I may add in loading a new scene as an additional step). The state of the figures post-run should be okay, but there's a known issue where too many runs in a row leads to the script doing stuff that makes no sense (Mostly, it's working correctly, but the state of the figures doesn't reflect that. You can't see it worked until you load the figure fresh). The easiest thing to do--to reduce some obvious questions clogging the thread or Git--was make the figures disappear after it's done. That way, if the final state is not good, it won't add to the problems. I know people with a lot of morphs will find this tedious, because figure load times are high. I'm sorry but try to keep in mind, doing this "by hand" would take far longer.

@KhorneV2, I'm not sure what explosion means. Please document that (Pics or it didn't happen, copy of the relevant section of the Studio log (please not the whole log, that's hard to parse), etc) and enter it as an issue on Git. It makes things a lot easier if these things are opened as problems on Git, because then nobody can forget about them and if others pick up the torch, they don't have to ask me what's not done. This why the next step is a To Do list. I need to go through all of the reports I have and make sure I haven't forgotten any issues.

I think that's everyone. If I missed you, I didn't mean to. Remind me and I'll try to answer. New Questions about possible problems should be documented as well as you can (pics and relevant logs) and pused to Git. Seriously. It'll make it far more likely that your concern gets dealt with even if no one else ever joins the project. Similarly suggestions, @gerster. I may not take the suggestion, but I'll certainly consider it. There's something to be said for the ability to dialspin and "bake" that result to the transfer. In theory, the parts already exist in the scrip to do that. In practice, there are a lot of thing in the script that would prevent it working (example, the first thing the script does is break all the ERC links except those it needs, meaning that the dials no longer make the character when spun. I'm not sure how to handle that, as this happens while the script is populating the morphs list (It's iterating over all morphs, anyway. It seemed the right time to break the links)). If this is on Git, and I do get collaborators (or just other users with ideas) it makes it more likely that some useful solution could be generated.

Remember, folks, this now open source. Completely. If I die today, and someone says "I'd like to figure out what he did and expand on it," all they need to do is download the Git. If they want collaborators, they can join Github, and fork the project, making their very own.

Assuming I live forever, this remains true. If you think you can make it better than I can, you are free to fork the project. The only proviso being that you must keep the CC Attribution 3.0 unported file with any Git forked, and it must be copied into any licence file in any distro. That, and being under the Apache License, should keep this project legally compliant. Should anyone find an issue of compliance or attribuition, please use Git to inform me, preferably in an issue, as it keeps me and everyone else honest and it helps to keep any forks aware of any legal mistakes I may have made.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

I followed your instructions but I still get stuck at 27% of the process... It starts buolding the projection map, loads the morphs I chosed and stops there. The timer goes on and when I click on Cancel and I close the windows I get an error message.

• Yeah. Accuracy (Following the SY tut will result in more distortions in the face, and with transfers between T-Pose and A pose figures, result in morphs that go off at the wrong angle), and speed. This is an automated process that usually generates better results. Be aware, the first option (you can't sell this version, as opposed to the hard way mentioned below that is redistributable), is a way to get dail spun characters to transfer. Using this script. Not the Transfer Utitlity parts (the script does that, but smarter), just the part where she explains how to make a single morph out of your dial spun character.

Also, since I'm typing a new comment, the reason the script no longer transfers whole products by default is that the JCMs were getting in way more than helping. It's better that moving them over be optional rather than mandatory. Like I said, if you want to do everything at once, untick the tick on the options page, then pick any one morph from that product, and hit transfer. If you want to bake the correct shape (the script doesn't transfer the source figure's shape with every morph. That would cause the target to turn into the shape of the source whenever a JCM from the source was active. So if two JCMs G2 were active at 75%, the G8 that got the transfer would effectively have G2 shape at 150%. This is what the bake stuff in the controls is for. If you ID the Head (or heads) and Body (or bodies, but not both heads and bodies--One head to many bodies, or one body to many heads. Anything else will make the script do the unexpected) and mark them as Bake, then only those morphs will have the source figure shape baked in, and only where it applies. You don't have to bake these shapes. For transfer G3/8 it makes little difference, because they are so a like. G2 is less supermodel/Action-star shaped, but otherwise very like the later figures, so the results while different, won't look particularly weird. Genesis needs baking to get and give shapes properly.

Transfer the Girl 5 to to G3 or 8 and you'll see what I mean. (G3/8M will look more like Girl 5 that G3/8F, and neither will qite match. Also, the result on the female will be...comical.)

• @Imago, that's the known issue that is #1 on the fix list, when I get the fix list. The script should (and does, usually) know when a property is not a morph and when it is. Usually it works fine, but there are cases where it is not correctly identifying morphless properties and trying to do morph corrections on them. The result is an error state and the script doesn't have an error catch built in because I don't know how to code. Error catch is among the things that will be on the To Do list as well. Since it has no error catch, the script just sits there until canceled.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

This is a basic question, bordering on silly, but I don't do a lot with scripts. Would someone kindly explain how to download the script and install it?  I went to the site and see a lot of folders and such, and I'm lost.  Would love to play around with the script over the weekend.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited May 2019

This is a basic question, bordering on silly, but I don't do a lot with scripts. Would someone kindly explain how to download the script and install it?  I went to the site and see a lot of folders and such, and I'm lost.  Would love to play around with the script over the weekend.

don't know why I bother 

git.JPG
    1049 x 581 - 61K
    Post edited by scorpio on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

At the Github pageClick on the Clone or Download button and there is a selection  to Download Zip.  Unzip the downloaded ZIp in the directory containing your Studio content library and either restart Studio or refresh the Daz Studio Formats entry in your Content Library and it should be there...

edited May 2019

What ^^They said. Also, copy the contents of the Library Folder to your library. Otherwise, it won't give the needed properties to the figures.

edited May 2019

Also, I really (see many posts above) recommend you MAKE A NEW LIBRARY and install the script there, rather than in your "working folders." It's just safer that way. If it doesn't work right when that is done, then that a bug that needs fixing, because it should work from any library on any library (it can't save to Connect, but it can read from there).

Edit: if you already installed the script, and have concerns (which you should, this is a beta) the simplest version of the above is to make a new library, then add a folder to it called "data" then Cut the data/Architect folder out of your working library and paste it in the New Library/data folder. You get the same result.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Thank you WandW and SB!

• Transferred Mavka for Genesis to G8F! (with VYK Midge skin).

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

Thank you WandW and SB!

Guess you got me on ignore.

• mats76mats76 Posts: 289

Soon...

As in, soon.

Here's the announcement as promised.

I am burning out, and the script isn't getting much closer to sale-ready condition. Moreover, it isn't a good idea to plan on selling the very first complex script one had ever written.

This sounds terrible, doesn't it?

The script is going open source. I need to read up on the conditions of the license daz is using, and set up a repository. There will be an "ecosystem" around it, eventually, but I will be putting out the script itself as soon as I am done with the legalisms.

No, I am not giving up. I just want to to work on other projects and skills. At this point, the best future for the script is to set it free. 

For all youse mugs, that means you'll have yer grubby mitts on it in the next week or so.

Edit: Yes, LenioTG, the script can do that.

I seem a bit sad that you won't be able to sell the script on the store, you deserve to get something back for all the hours you been putting in on this project. 

Will you accept a small gift through paypal considering how useful the script has been to me? If so, is it the same paypal address as before?

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

@Imago, that's the known issue that is #1 on the fix list, when I get the fix list. The script should (and does, usually) know when a property is not a morph and when it is. Usually it works fine, but there are cases where it is not correctly identifying morphless properties and trying to do morph corrections on them. The result is an error state and the script doesn't have an error catch built in because I don't know how to code. Error catch is among the things that will be on the To Do list as well. Since it has no error catch, the script just sits there until canceled.

Thanks for the answer!
    I see... But I tried with same products which other users managed to transfer correctly and I get stuck... Could it depend on my library? I installed all my stuff in the second hardisk in a custom path.

edited May 2019
    mats76 said:

I seem a bit sad that you won't be able to sell the script on the store, you deserve to get something back for all the hours you been putting in on this project. 

Will you accept a small gift through paypal considering how useful the script has been to me? If so, is it the same paypal address as before?

Don't be sad. If you are sad, then I have to be sad, and I was having a pretty good day (researching poses.* I've got an angle ^_^).

Here, look at this render xmasrose (aka tulipe) did. 
    The MOON, Malenfant! Look to the moon!

It's quite impressive, don't you think? Getting Genesis toon over to G8 seems to come with a lot needed eyeball adjustment, in my experience, so I'm quite impressed. Also, I didn't know that product existed :D

Of course, I am broke (dude has owed me 15 bucks going on two months. I had to use everything I had to fix the (second) laptop screen I broke). So, I can't say no to a gift. But I will say this. I'm doing this work on the laptop this Forum bought for me when I broke the other. I have the ability to survive stressful situations because there was a bit of change left over, and I could replace a good but broken phone with a okay and cheap phone. Also, look at that render again. I'm getting paid.

But, if that hasn't moved you, yes. My PayPal remains the same. But there will be some kind of buy me-a-coffee on the project website for GenNext (the basic structure of which is also being donated). Moreover, seriously, guys. I have Zoloft, and that has helped me dig out of my fear/depression to some extent, but the fact that I am even able to begin to think positively at all is because you guys made me realize that I can help people feel good enough that they'll pay me on the chance that I'll deliver.

How much is a sense of self-worth worth? As far as I am concerned, I owe YOU. And let's be honest, going Open Source means I'm asking more of you, not less. I'm just hoping that  all of you owning a part of what this could become is a kind of repayment on that debt. 

Edit: *Researching is equal to reading Manga. But it really is research. It's just fun, as well.

• scorpio said:

Thank you WandW and SB!

Guess you got me on ignore.

I haven't forgotten/ignored you, @scorpio. In fact, I removed the one person I had on ignore, because I need to be able to see if they have questions.

Le sigh.

• Imago said:

@Imago, that's the known issue that is #1 on the fix list, when I get the fix list. The script should (and does, usually) know when a property is not a morph and when it is. Usually it works fine, but there are cases where it is not correctly identifying morphless properties and trying to do morph corrections on them. The result is an error state and the script doesn't have an error catch built in because I don't know how to code. Error catch is among the things that will be on the To Do list as well. Since it has no error catch, the script just sits there until canceled.

Thanks for the answer!
    I see... But I tried with same products which other users managed to transfer correctly and I get stuck... Could it depend on my library? I installed all my stuff in the second hardisk in a custom path.

I dunno. I haven't seen all the possible impacts of multiple Libraries, since I refactored the script. This is another case where pushing the error to Git, with a log snippet, would be helpful. It means there's a possible problem I'm not aware of.