Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Don't transfer nipple and navel morphs just use the ones that are part of the target figure's body morph package

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited May 2019

There'll be an announcement soon...

About GenX(2) accuracy. It's kinda hit or miss with anything. The geometries are different between the figures, and often the fastest way to get things moving is to begin with an existing clone shape. So then things are based on the quality of that clone. But even if one is building a clone from the ground up, one is making best guesses about what bits go where. The result is that the product might work wonders for 8 of 10 products and start to look down right strange on the remaining 2.

As an example, the bigger the eyes on the source figure, the more the eyes of target figure seem to end up too small with GenNext.  GenX handles this fairly well. This has been an issue since the old days of the G3F to G8F brute force transfer which is literally just moving the displacements straight across. I can't find a consistent error, and I can't seem to correct for it. Most figures--even toons--you don't notice it much, but it becomes fairly obvious with Genesis (1) 3DUniverse toons. Why? I dunno.

I've focused on doing the best I could, and getting the best results I could. There've been compromises and crazy patchups that take things way off the beaten path. And all of this was aimed at avoiding major distortions. I hope the final product delivers satisfactory results (Yes, I worked pretty hard to get the navels and nipples to line up, but that might mean other issues. There's a reason these things don't line up in the default clones). I know it won't be perfect, though. I won't wax critical about D3D's choices because that's not really fair. We can't ask. But I know my choices were (and can't have been) perfect.

The cold water (as Eminem might say) is that every transfer tool is really just the basis of a pipeline that involves actual 3D modeling (the same skills used in creating morphs to begin with). Every tool from forum tuts on figures, SickleYield tuts on (nigh) everything, to scripts (in progress, or RSSY tools) probably benefits hugely if you go in and tweek the results with blender/hexagon/3DS/etc.  The best we can hope for on the automation side is "good enough for government work." Or to be more accurate, better than just throwing the Transfer Utility blindly at the problem. As the advice  above goes, don't use the ones from the source if they don't look good. Most of the time, they don't add much (Nipples lose detail with each generation, it seems, so they don't transfer well anyway). But if you must have them, the best you can do is learn to model them yourself. Well, I suppose the best you could do is convince the original author to do a more modern version, but...

soon... O_O

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    jestmart said:

Don't transfer nipple and navel morphs just use the ones that are part of the target figure's body morph package

Placement and morphs are two different animals. M4 nipples are still higher on the mesh, so the transfer doesn't carry over correctly on more developed chests. Less developed characters, like Edinburgh M4, are passable.

ANGELO.jpg
    800 x 800 - 277K
    COMPARE.jpg
    800 x 800 - 283K
  • necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited May 2019

About GenX(2) accuracy. It's kinda hit or miss with anything. The geometries are different between the figures, and often the fastest way to get things moving is to begin with an existing clone shape. So then things are based on the quality of that clone. But even if one is building a clone from the ground up, one is making best guesses about what bits go where. The result is that the product might work wonders for 8 of 10 products and start to look down right strange on the remaining 2.

Yeah, after a couple of tries I've basically thrown my hands in the air and had been looking for other ways. I've come across a way that so far seems to work M4 to G8M that seems to work. The clone shapes have had their various inconsistencies adjusted to better match the orignals, and so far the results appear to be good. It just takes time to do each character.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

I'm sorry for asking this, but could someone tell me if there currently is something like GenX for Genesis 8?
    I've just found this thread, and 63 pages are really a lot :(

I basically realize stories with transgender people, so my goal would be to create a shape for the starting male and for the final female and vice versa, and to apply the other shape with a slider.
    I do this a lot, so I'd need a stable and fast process.
    Is that possible in any way with Genesis 8?
    My whole library is set for G8 already :(

edited May 2019

Soon...

As in, soon.

Here's the announcement as promised.

I am burning out, and the script isn't getting much closer to sale-ready condition. Moreover, it isn't a good idea to plan on selling the very first complex script one had ever written.

This sounds terrible, doesn't it?

The script is going open source. I need to read up on the conditions of the license daz is using, and set up a repository. There will be an "ecosystem" around it, eventually, but I will be putting out the script itself as soon as I am done with the legalisms.

No, I am not giving up. I just want to to work on other projects and skills. At this point, the best future for the script is to set it free. 

For all youse mugs, that means you'll have yer grubby mitts on it in the next week or so.

Edit: Yes, LenioTG, the script can do that.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

SB, sorry to hear about the burnout, guess it doesn't help with everyone demanding progress and results in this forum.

For all youse mugs, that means you'll have yer grubby mitts on it in the next week or so.

So how usable do you think it will be at this point?

Soon...

As in, soon.

Here's the announcement as promised.

I am burning out, and the script isn't getting much closer to sale-ready condition. Moreover, it isn't a good idea to plan on selling the very first complex script one had ever written.

This sounds terrible, doesn't it?

The script is going open source. I need to read up on the conditions of the license daz is using, and set up a repository. There will be an "ecosystem" around it, eventually, but I will be putting out the script itself as soon as I am done with the legalisms.

No, I am not giving up. I just want to to work on other projects and skills. At this point, the best future for the script is to set it free.

Edit: Yes, LenioTG, the script can do that.

Sorry, I didn't want to stress you out, I hadn't figure out if someone was working on this and who he was!

Burnout is a serious thing, take your time! ^^

It's just good to hear that, sooner or later, there will be a easier way to do it!! laugh

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    LenioTG said:

I'm sorry for asking this, but could someone tell me if there currently is something like GenX for Genesis 8?

I basically realize stories with transgender people, so my goal would be to create a shape for the starting male and for the final female and vice versa, and to apply the other shape with a slider.

Haha. I wonder how many of us are on this forum, @LenioTG. I go by a different name on TG Comics, but you probably know my stories. laugh That's why I can't wait for this script, as well. 

Thanks for the update, SB. Were you able to fix the fatal error you emailed us about last week?

• SB, sorry to hear about the burnout, guess it doesn't help with everyone demanding progress and results in this forum.

LenioTG said:

Sorry, I didn't want to stress you out, I hadn't figure out if someone was working on this and who he was!

It's just good to hear that, sooner or later, there will be a easier way to do it!! laugh

There are no apologies allowed. I am fine, folks. It's all good. I didn't get stressed out, just more interested in other ideas.

As far as usability goes, it can do most of what was intended. The fatal error issue is resolved. There are still odd problems, but it works. It has problems transferring to Genesis, but it seems okay transferring from Genesis. It's in pretty good shape.

My hope is that more eyes on the inner workings will make it better.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,133

Just a simple thesis:

What are the most recognizable parts of a figure?
    I'd say, the shape of the head and the skin. Since the textures are already transferable, then if the tool/script can fairly reliably transfer the shape of the head, then we've got the most important part of the transfer covered, and might simply be better off trying to accomplish further figure transfers through the use of bodymorphs already native to the target figure.
    That means a transfer won't ever be 100%, but if the transfer is close enough that viewers who do not know the transfer even happened won't notice the difference, possibly not even when displaying the two side by side, then we could call the migration a success. It's not like the target figure suddenly grows an arm or anything like that. It's about the perception of the audience.

(Here's hoping we can target what morphs to transfer, and for problematic areas: transfer at own risk. I'm really mostly hoping to just transfer the headshape, anything else would be a convenient extra.)

LenioTG said:

Haha. I wonder how many of us are on this forum, @LenioTG. I go by a different name on TG Comics, but you probably know my stories. laugh That's why I can't wait for this script, as well. 

Thanks for the update, SB. Were you able to fix the fatal error you emailed us about last week?

Nice to find you! :D
    I've sent you a PM!

SB, sorry to hear about the burnout, guess it doesn't help with everyone demanding progress and results in this forum.

LenioTG said:

There are no apologies allowed. I am fine, folks. It's all good. I didn't get stressed out, just more interested in other ideas.

As far as usability goes, it can do most of what was intended. The fatal error issue is resolved. There are still odd problems, but it works. It has problems transferring to Genesis, but it seems okay transferring from Genesis. It's in pretty good shape.

My hope is that more eyes on the inner workings will make it better.

It all sounds great!
    (I'm not interested in the Genesis generation)
    I just hope it won't become one of those strange complicated scripts that only expert users can use xD

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

that's cool, thanks

edited May 2019

You'll all have the opportunity to decide very soon. But, more importantly, you'll be able to make the kind of improvements you want, if you can figure out how. None of that "but I can't code" bull. I couldn't code when I started. Still can't. Also, the script is more than just the code. It's also the information and morphs it uses. I know you can read text and a lot of you can modify morphs. Open source means anyone can suggest a commit, and almost everyone can make a suggestion real.

Edit: Fixed autocorrect.

You'll all have the opportunity to decide very soon. But, more importantly, you'll be able to make this kind of improvements you weren't, if you case figure out how. None of that "but I can't code" bull. I couldn't code when I started. Still can't. Also, the script is more than just the code. It's also the information and morphs it uses. I know you can read test and a lot of you can modify morphs. Open source means anyone can suggest a commit, and almost everyone can make a suggestion real.

Great, good job then Singular Blues, and thanks!! :D

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Wherever you put it up for download, I hope you also have a button/option for people to "buy you coffee" like pixabay etc.  We know a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears went into this.

edited May 2019

I hadn't thought of doing that @Worlds_Edge, but I will consider something. I'll try to make it a priority. I've been sidetracked by medical appointments. I've got to go get a bunch of labs done today (I'm fine, but I'm also diabetic, and it's past time I have myself checked out. Like 4 months past time). Hopefully, I'll be up to finishing the legal review when I get back. (Then I have to make the stuff to make the script compliant. At this point, I've cribed so many ideas from @mcasual, @mork, and the samples, it's not worth trying to make sure the code isn't copied. But I do need to narrow down my sources. So, just finishing the review won't mean it's release time.) But I mean to get the Git repo up today, so hopefully, the "open beta" open source era will begin before the holiday (for non-USAsians, Monday is a federal holiday here in the land milk and firearms). If I don't do a patreon, or something, I'll make sure there's a paypal connected buy me a coffee button. Or something.

EDIT:

So, it pops into my head (given my mental problems) that it might really seem like this is  aretreat. It's not. Because you guys saved me when I broke my compy, I ended up with roughly equivalent system, except it has 10 gigs more RAM and had its own HDD. So I have 3 drives, with my system and swap living on an SSD and 16 gigs of memory. This has opened up options to do things I couldn't do before. The (Nvidia) GPU is too old to effectively run Open CL, so it doesn't efficiently dForce, but it's a (very) old core i7Quad at 2.4Ghz that auto overclocks to 3.2 (i've only seen it run up to 3.1, but still) so it does dForce pretty good. The GPU does iRay and it does Cycles (although, sadly, not the new Cycles in 2.8. Still, it does Eevee). in other words, I can art again.

I've always wanted to learn content creation, and I've been studying, collecting tools and making stuff on the side, all this time. I've just seen the future of the development on this script, and 1.0 is probably 4 to 6 months away. I want to do other things in that time. If people (other than me) contribute to the open project, it will probably still be 4 to 6 months to 1.0, but you'll have version 0.6.1 in a few days. I hope this is a win for everyone. If it isn't, it already does what most of the interested users want, so it'll be a win for a majority, and I can't ask for less (or more).

Also, (though this isn't a major consideration, it is a consideration) we wouldn't be here if not you in this thread. I owe you honesty, and some results, for your investment. It's possible that this is just the Zoloft talking, but I am happy (as in both satisfied and a little excited) with this descision. I think this is a good move.

I hadn't thought of doing that @Worlds_Edge, but I will consider something. I'll try to make it a priority. I've been sidetracked by medical appointments. I've got to go get a bunch of labs done today (I'm fine, but I'm also diabetic, and it's past time I have myself checked out. Like 4 months past time). Hopefully, I'll be up to finishing the legal review when I get back. (Then I have to make the stuff to make the script compliant. At this point, I've cribed so many ideas from @mcasual, @mork, and the samples, it's not worth trying to make sure the code isn't copied. But I do need to narrow down my sources. So, just finishing the review won't mean it's release time.) But I mean to get the Git repo up today, so hopefully, the "open beta" open source era will begin before the holiday (for non-USAsians, Monday is a federal holiday here in the land milk and firearms). If I don't do a patreon, or something, I'll make sure there's a paypal connected buy me a coffee button. Or something.

No rush, don't worry! :D

What you're doing might be huge, and so everyone can wait a few more days! ;)

• missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 918
    edited May 2019

Wherever you put it up for download, I hope you also have a button/option for people to "buy you coffee" like pixabay etc.  We know a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears went into this.

Yes, please have one of those!! Your hard work is so very appreciated!
    Post edited by missuskisses on
    edited May 2019

Well, then. The Git repo is up, and the data is populated. So that represents one way to acquire GenNext. Be aware, Github is not meant to be THE way to get the script, but the means by which development goes forward. I expect to host the script out of, well, every where I can. The most likely next location will be Deviant Art. Eventually, there will be a Home page for the project hosted on my website. Online help will be hosted there (and wherever else I can). As of now, that information doesn't exist.

Still to do: Make a To Do list.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

First off, thanks for all the hard work SB. I have been following this thread since the beginning and I know it's (and you) had it's fair share of up and downs.

Lets hope someone out there can run with what you have done and create something that is polished and plug and play for all the code illiterate users

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

First off, thanks for all the hard work SB. I have been following this thread since the beginning and I know it's (and you) had it's fair share of up and downs.

Lets hope someone out there can run with what you have done and create something that is polished and plug and play for all the code illiterate users

What he saidyesyesyesyes

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

thanks a lot, congratulations and great work !yes

Though, i get an "explosion" of the figure when i transfer a custom morph from G2F to G3F.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited May 2019

Singular Blues, thanks so much for all your work! yesyes

Here is the result of my first attempt to use your script to transfer the Ivan 7 character to G8.

To begin, the script won't find the morphs if you open the Ivan 7 character from the Character folder in Library, so I just loaded a basic G3M and dialed in the head and body morphs under Properties. With the dialed G3 and an unmodified G8M figure in the scene window, I opened your script and selected the figures as the appropriate source and target.

This brought up pages and pages of G3M morphs, so for this test I only selected three morphs: Ivan 7 head, Ivan 7 body and Ivan 7.

Then I let your script run, with the result shown in the image. You will note that the arms on G8 are deformed, and there are other differences, too, but I put that down to my not having selected enough morphs to transfer.

After all, I only wanted to see what would happen, and this test is encouraging. It is in no way a criticism, and only means I need to experiment more to get the results I want. I do not need a perfect transfer, and will be happy if I can get a G8 character which could pass for Ivan's brother. It's possible the extreme body morph of Ivan won't transfer, but I have G8M morphs that make the Ivan 7 body unnecessary.

Thanks again smiley

Ivan7toG8.png
    1250 x 761 - 707K
    Post edited by frankrblow on
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Then I let your script run, with the result shown in the image. You will note that the arms on G8 are deformed, and there are other differences, too, but I put that down to my not having selected enough morphs to transfer.

I suggest a option that the source morph can be automatically converted into a single morph before beeing transfered to the target figure.
    That should be easy to implement, after it‘s a feature which DAZ can out of the BOX (with the morph transfer tool) and Shape Splitter has this feature, eg too (https://www.daz3d.com/shape-splitter) in the combine tab.

This would be usefull if you want to transfer a complete shape, but not all the submorphs.

I don‘t think this has to be implemented in V1, but for later this would be nice comfort feature.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that you won't be moving forward with the script -though I do understand, as it's a HUGE undertaking. 

If you change your mind and want to take it back up again, I'm sure that would be ok too. :) 

Whatever you decide to do, we're cheering for you!

edited May 2019

Can someone write a brief tutorial on how this script works? I ran it with Rune 7 to G8 Female, and it supposedly completed -- but then it just deleted everything in the scene. Where am I supposed to find the morph?

Also, I can't transfer Olympia 7 to G8 Female. It gets stuck as it's "correcting ERC links." Would someone mind testing to see if it's just me?

(The 34 seconds is just for the screenshot. Previously I let it run for 7 minutes)

Thank you!

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

Yes, a short tutorial on how to use it would be nice. At the moment I always get stuck at 24-27% of the process, no matter what I want to transfer from any figure to any other.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited May 2019

Can someone write a brief tutorial on how this script works? I ran it with Rune 7 to G8 Female, and it supposedly completed -- but then it just deleted everything in the scene. Where am I supposed to find the morph?

Also, I can't transfer Olympia 7 to G8 Female. It gets stuck as it's "correcting ERC links." Would someone mind testing to see if it's just me?

(The 34 seconds is just for the screenshot. Previously I let it run for 7 minutes)

Thank you!

Some morphs will get stuck on "Correcting ERC Links". I'm not sure if there is a fix for it. As far as I can tell Singular Blues wasn't able to duplicate that error.

So far, the steps that SEEM to work best for me is:

1) Load ONLY the "Base" figures for the morphs you want to transfer. So say you want to transfer Victoria 6 to Genesis 8 Female. Load Only Base Genesis 2 Female (no morphs dialled in) and Only Base Genesis 8 Female (no morphs dialled in). Start the script.

2) From the "Select a Figure" dropdown select the Source (in this case Genesis 2 Female) and select the Target (in this case Genesis 8 Female).

3) In the "Enter Text to Filter by..." type in Victoria 6. Put a check mark by "Victoria 6", "Victoria 6 Body", and "Victoria 6 Head".

4) Highlight "Victoria 6 Body" and at the bottom where it says "Type" choose "Body". Where it says "Bake Mode" choose "Bake Source Shape".

5) Highlight "Victoria 6 Head" and at the bottom change the "Type" to "Head".

6) Select "Output Library" (where you want the morphs to go, since this is a "beta" I highly recommend setting up a "Test Library" for both this script as well as the transfer morphs -so if something goes wrong you can quarantine the script and the morphs from the rest of your content library).

6) Hit "Accept". After the transfer is done (if it doesn't get hung up on "Correcting ERC Links") and the "Process Complete" box pops up, click "Exit". 

7) Now completely close out Daz Studio. And then start Daz Studio back up again. (It needs to reload so that the morphs show up in the Shaping Tab.)

8) Load up Genesis 8 Female and in the shaping tab type in Victoria 6 in the search. You should be able to find the new morphs that way.

Some morphs will need an "Edit" >> "Rigging" >> "Adjust Rigging to Shape" - Like I believe the Victoria 6 transferred morph does.

So far those are the steps that seem to work for me. I'm still experimenting with it though. I could be doing it wrong but after a lot of trial and error those steps seem to give decent results so far. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

Can someone write a brief tutorial on how this script works? I ran it with Rune 7, and it supposedly completed -- but then it just deleted everything in the scene. Where am I supposed to find the morph?

Thank you!

Thank you!

Some morphs will get stuck on "Correcting ERC Links". I'm not sure if there is a fix for it. As far as I can tell Singular Blues wasn't able to duplicate that error.

So far, the steps that SEEM to work best for me is:

1) Load ONLY the "Base" figures for the morphs you want to transfer. So say you want to transfer Victoria 6 to Genesis 8 Female. Load Only Base Genesis 2 Female (no morphs dialled in) and Only Base Genesis 8 Female (no morphs dialled in). Start the script.

2) From the "Select a Figure" dropdown select the Source (in this case Genesis 2 Female) and select the Target (in this case Genesis 8 Female).

3) In the "Enter Text to Filter by..." type in Victoria 6. Put a check mark by "Victoria 6", "Victoria 6 Body", and "Victoria 6 Head".

4) Highlight "Victoria 6 Body" and at the bottom where it says "Type" choose "Body". Where it says "Bake Mode" choose "Bake Source Shape".

5) Highlight "Victoria 6 Head" and at the bottom change the "Type" to "Head".

6) Select "Output Library" (where you want the morphs to go, since this is a "beta" I highly recommend setting up a "Test Library" for both this script as well as the transfer morphs -so if something goes wrong you can quarantine the script and the morphs from the rest of your content library).

6) Hit "Accept". After the transfer is done (if it doesn't get hung up on "Correcting ERC Links") and the "Process Complete" box pops up, click "Exit". 

7) Now completely close out Daz Studio. And then start Daz Studio back up again. (It needs to reload so that the morphs show up in the Shaping Tab.)

8) Load up Genesis 8 Female and in the shaping tab type in Victoria 6 in the search. You should be able to find the new morphs that way.

Some morphs will need an "Edit" >> "Rigging" >> "Adjust Rigging to Shape" - Like I believe the Victoria 6 transferred morph does.

So far those are the steps that seem to work for me. I'm still experimenting with it though. I could be doing it wrong but after a lot of trial and error those steps seem to give decent results so far. :)

Thanks for the write-up, Diva. Although if this only works in the base figures, I have to say that’s very disappointing. I was hoping to transfer characters I made from G3 to G8.