dForce Hair (as well as strand based hair and the strand based hair editor) in public beta

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

I did some face hair peach fuzz for G8F. :) I think it turned out pretty good. Lots of learning and tweaking and trial and error -but I'm having a lot of fun learning this. :)

Yer fuzz looks fantastic, Diva - well done!

- Greg

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I did some face hair peach fuzz for G8F. :) I think it turned out pretty good. Lots of learning and tweaking and trial and error -but I'm having a lot of fun learning this. :)

Yer fuzz looks fantastic, Diva - well done!

- Greg

Thank you, Greg! :D It's really cool that you can adjust the hair thickness both at the root and at the tip. Really helps to be able to create all kinds of different hair from soft face fuzz to coarse and thick animal fur. The strand based hair system is amazing! And it's only in the beta - so it's going to get even better! Ahhhh I'm so happy! :D

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I'm absolutely loving this too. Whoever it was that said it's so much more stable than past versions of Garibaldi was right. I'd love to have more accurate selection tools for the hair, but if stability of existing functionality has been prioritized over making any additions then I'm all for that. The only other problem I've got is a complete inability to stop messing about with it. I'm sure I'll get fed up with it eventually :)

edited May 2019
    BlueIrene said:

I'm absolutely loving this too. Whoever it was that said it's so much more stable than past versions of Garibaldi was right. I'd love to have more accurate selection tools for the hair, but if stability of existing functionality has been prioritized over making any additions then I'm all for that. The only other problem I've got is a complete inability to stop messing about with it. I'm sure I'll get fed up with it eventually :)

YES PLEASE! :) I want a lasso that lets you select sections of hair - the current tools look to be only "square" based selections so it's difficult to get the exact parts that you want to select. I also would love it if they tweaked the blue "guide" lines to be more accurate. The guide lines seem to be a static length and don't seam to reflect the length of the hair - so shaping the hair is really difficult if the hair is much shorter or much longer than the blue guide lines.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    barbult said:
    DAZ_Josh said:
    DAZ_Josh said:

I applied it to the Root and Tip Transmission Colors and the Root and Tip Color properties

Did you change the colour the shader used?

Yes, I changed my colors on all those 4 properties to be white so it was just the map doing the influence.

I did this (changed 4 maps and changed colors to white), but almost-white areas of the dog fur are still rendeing almost black. Here is a WIP, without much combing yet.

For white hair try dropping the Anisotropy to 0. 

• I think some of you folks are having way too much fun with this new toy. I hope to have a longer look at it tonight after work. I would post my initial attempt but I think you folks are having enough fun already.

I am still seeing work in progress on the doco. Do we have any idea when it is due to be available.

edited May 2019

Furball! You knew this was coming. lol Release the cat-girls! :D

It needs work as this was just a "quick and dirty" fur setup, but I think it's kinda cute. :)

G8F - Thistle Character w Stand Based Fur B.jpg
    1000 x 939 - 826K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited May 2019

Thought I'd try my hand at a male hairstyle. The hair needs a bit of work as I didn't notice the poke-through at the ears before rendering. But I like how it come out otherwise. :)

Strand Based Hair - Male Hair 1 B.png
    871 x 1011 - 1M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    Both of those look very good, Diva
    edited May 2019

I'm trying short dog fur. It is so short, you can barely see it.

With Strand Based Fur

Strand Based Fur

Without Fur

No Fur

Two Dogs on the Beach_003 lighter highlight.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Two Dogs on the Beach_003 no fur.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited June 2019

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Thought I'd try my hand at a male hairstyle. The hair needs a bit of work as I didn't notice the poke-through at the ears before rendering. But I like how it come out otherwise. :)

Ohhhh, I love it!! :D

Laurie

• VortigensBaneVortigensBane Posts: 383

Strand-based hair looks quite nice, but what I would really like to know is how to go through that mysterious process to convert strand-based hair to dForce hair.  I have tried a few different things, and it does not seem self-evident as of yet...

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

That looks great. 

edited May 2019
    AllenArt said:

Ohhhh, I love it!! :D

Laurie

That looks great. 

Thank you, guys! :D I was surprised how it turned out. 

I had tried so many times to learn how to make hair in ZBrush and kept WISHING for a way to make fibermesh or strand hair that wasn't so painful and difficult. And WOW, Daz has really knocked this out of the ballpark! It's lightyears ahead of every other hair creation method I've tried. 

I couldn't be happier that they've developed this and I can't wait to see what people create with it! 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited May 2019

Divamakeup said:

This honestly looks great. The only part that doesn't is the transition between scalp and hair. We need to figure out how to do those finer "baby hairs" that border the main event.

Also, are these hairs dforce by default? Can we apply existing shaders to them like Colorwerks, Backlight, and Hair Lustre?

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    barbult said:

Still experimenting...I made it curly and a little longer.

That looks very realistic. I feel these strands tend to work better with short hair and fur ..

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

Hi, first congratulations to the Daz team for this new feature.

As the spline guide feature and the ability to grow hairs  on selected areas
    seem quite similar to the Hair system we have in Maxon Cinema4D,
    I recomend that  you not grow hair on the entire scalp area at once but instead  build layered sections
    as in this video below.
    Although the tools differ, the principle should theoreticly be the same for the new Daz strand hair system

wolf359 said:

Hi, first congratulations to the Daz team for this new feature.

As the spline guide feature and the ability to grow hairs  on selected areas
    seem quite similar to the Hair system we have in Maxon Cinema4D,
    I recomend that  you not grow hair on the entire scalp area at once but instead  build layered sections
    as in this video below.
    Although the tools differ, the principle should theoreticly be the same for the new Daz strand hair system

Good tips, @Wolf359. Thanks!

Playing around with the new Strand Based Hair in the DAZ Studio 4.11 beta on DAZ Dog 8. No post work

Wow, your dog looks much better than mine! That is great work. I'm going to have to try longer fur. You've shown what can be done.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    edited May 2019

So then since I realized that I could create as many strand hair instances as I want to create a hair style I decided to try for a simple (for a female) hair style and I will post it here for advice and so you can see my difficulty related to styling the hair compared to the reference picture.

1) I created 4 sections but only finished 2 of them because they show the problem well enough. I need to create many small strand hair instances to have even a bit of a chance to style the hair somewhat accurately.

2) Look at the crown - in the photo it goes in a wide wave mostly strait up and then makes a 90 or 120 turn to lay parallel to the surface of her head. I couldn't do that with the controls on the strand hair SW.

3) I couldn't make the hair as long as needed. Surely I must be missing something. I made it 20 but couldn't no longer. 

4) No way when styling to tell the hair to simple pull it out straight up to to a side, let go, and let it fall & drape naturally over the head, ears, and torso. It's sort of combining dForce & Strand Hair functionality here but it's needed. 

5) I see the curl function but it manipulates the entire strand instead of just the end points being curls up and out. What do I do wrong? I will read to more but I'd really like curlers & painting the hair density maps via polygon selection like the geometry editor or something. Even with my Bamboo tablet I don't have an easy time painting hair density maps for me to have any accuracy I'd have to zoom way in & pixel paint - that's a very slow way to go.

Big thing is I need to create many more smaller instances of strand hair all over the hair so better control each section just how it's needed for that hair style.

Flip-Doo.png
    405 x 405 - 412K
    elizabeth-montgomery-9542171-1-402.jpg
    300 x 300 - 15K
    Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • First serious attempt. Try not to laugh too hard at a newbs work.

Strand Hair 1st Attempt

barbult said:

With Strand Based Fur

Strand Based Fur

Without Fur

No Fur

It looks good! It's subtle but it makes a difference! :D I think on closer shots it would be a bit more noticeable. But even at a distance, it makes a difference. :) I like it!

edited May 2019

This honestly looks great. The only part that doesn't is the transition between scalp and hair. We need to figure out how to do those finer "baby hairs" that border the main event.

Also, are these hairs dforce by default? Can we apply existing shaders to them like Colorwerks, Backlight, and Hair Lustre?

Thank you! :D I agree about the "transition" - I'm not sure but I think probably a way to make the transition less stark is to make a separate section to add shorter and thinner strands before it hits the main hair portion. I'll have to experiment with that. 

The hairs aren't dForce - I don't know if there is a way to make the Strand Based Hair dForce or not. 

We seem to be able to use existing shaders on the Strand Based Hair, but I think the results are probably a bit different than with poly plane hair since it's not verticle poly planes that they're shading.

I made some tweaks to the hair including reducing the thickness of the hair strands a little bit and fixing the ear poke-through. Here's the updated hair with some shader comparisons. (Click to enlarge.)

Colorwerks:

Backlight:

The Blended Duel Lobe Hair Shader (I think that cames with the Strand Based Hair DIM download):

I really like the Blended Duel Lobe Hair Shader as it lets you have one color for the roots and a different color for the tips.

Strand Based Hair - Male Hairstyle 1 D.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Strand Based Hair - Male Hairstyle 1 E.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Strand Based Hair - Male Hairstyle 1 F.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited May 2019

First serious attempt. Try not to laugh too hard at a newbs work.

It looks great! It reminds me a bit of the Youngblood hair. (Sorry I had to cut your image out - I was having trouble quoting you and the quote got messed up.)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited May 2019
    wolf359 said:

The hairs aren't dForce - I don't know if there is a way to make the Strand Based Hair dForce or not. 

Damn. Unfortunately that's far less exciting than I'd hoped. sad

We need hair that reacts naturally to the body and gravity more than strands, IMHO. Otherwise, we'd need to style it differently for each and every render. Yikes!

EDIT: Wait.... @divamakeup, why's the video called "dForce and Strand Hair demo video: https://youtu.be/tVJygQqpi10" if there's no dForce? Isn't that just strand hair they're using as the "dForce Mohawk?" I'm confused.

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • RS-SRS-S Posts: 72

Read through all this and it's amazing to me that everybody already has something to render and show.

I have managed to load the program, watched the little video, but , being a tech Moron, can't manage to even change the length the hairs can be. Set the bar as high as it will go, looks like it's going to be long is the distribute tab, but I go to styling and its all short again.

Is there a good, simple video that explains how to use this program if one (myself) is a complete mush-head when it comes to anything techy?

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJygQqpi10&feature=youtu.be  is way too vague, although it does show you that stomachs and chests confuse some folks and how to make hair stand straight up or lay down, but not much else.

PS: You people are amazing. I understand about .10% of what you all talk about.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

When putting fur on an animal it might be worth trying it with a thin morph applied, if there is one - remember how scrawny animals look when wet, the shapes we have geenrally include the thickness provided by the fur.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

Is there a manual or tutorial for this anywhere. I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

• i have the beta build but still no strand hair