dForce Hair (as well as strand based hair and the strand based hair editor) in public beta

1246743

Comments

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 13,123
    Mada said:

    Save it as a scene subset :)

    Can you merge it into another scene and fit it to another character then?

  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,173
    edited May 2019

    I tested and can make a quick wishlist:

    1) A wireframed openGL texture mode when painting the hair would make it much easier to see that the hair follicles are being realistically placed.

    2) Except for a few boundary situations it's much less error prone to be able to paint hair follicles by selecting polygons and then manually paint/draw the polygons that are boundary situations. 

    3) I'm not a fan of how DAZ 3D models have their surfaces laid out - it's OK for toon characters but not for making it easy to paint realistic material sets for different people easily  - it's done in a way that fingerprint patterns are on the same surface as the arm pattern when it'd be more sensible for fingers to have different surfaces for each phalange on the front & back, the scalp area of the head and eyebrow area are other places where different surfaces belong, hair follicles, oil glands, sweat glands and other skin features that give skin it's different characteristics in different parts of the body are not at all taken into account in the DAZ 3D flagship models in the Skin materials Surfaces layouts, and likewise over the entire body the functional adaptions of the skin surfaces is more sensibly handled by creating different surface areas for all that different functionality because the different functionality makes the skin look different in those different areas. 

    4) Choose different color paint for different density - OK - I see one can create multiple density maps but I just had a crash bug on that so a fix for that is welcome I've submitted a bug report on the crash resulting from my use of the strand hair feature "multiple density maps"..

    5) A way to gradient paint hair strands and mix different color hairs - e.g. salt & pepper hair color

    6) Hair strand thickness -  Blonds generally are supposed to have finer hair (not always true for sure) and the Far Eastern folk are supposed to have the thickest hair strands (also not 100% true but generally).

    7) Comb is a good first step but creating hair parts is troublesome -

    a) How about a 'wet mode' where the hair lays flat on the head & a part mode whereby we can draw a line (or multiple lines) and the hair parts in opposite directions of the line drawn no combing needed? 

    b) There can be a gather function whereby the hair within an enclosing polygon that we draw or select is pulled up to a flat edge towards the center line of the polygon perpendicular to the surface of the polygon (spiked hairstyle basically like barbers do when cutting hair)

    c) or to a point in the middle of the polygon perpendicular from the surface.

    d) A "hair lay flat (well at 10 degrees or some named degree of flatness at the follicles) mode" for selected a polygon(s) in the direction of cursor drag to eliminate a lot of ineffective, overlapping, and messy combing.

    e) A "curl or wavy" mode then can be applied for X number of waves with the sin wave multiplied by a larger constant for waves and smaller constants for curls at length Y from the hair follicle allowing only the end of the hair to be easily styled for the selected polygon(s). Multiple sine wave functions of varying curl/waviness can be applied to the same set of polygon(s).

    f) Alternatively the gathered hair in the polygon can be put into a curler or bobby pin or so on.

    g) Here I think creating a skull cap, eyebrow cap, and various body hair caps modeled in sections into small clear polygons that matched the natural layout of human hair on the body and autofit onto different characters as part of the Genesis 8 defaults would be preferable to creating the hair directly on the model surfaces to save as presets. It would be so easy to paint hair if the model surfaces already took human hair distribution patterns into account and created enough surfaces that we'd check the surface we want to paint and paint with two left thumbs for the most part without worrying too much about hairlines because all the new surfaces were created takes those varying hairlines into account for the most part already. If you think about it, if these new surfaces (or a new set of human head & body hair caps that took those characteristic hair surfaces into account) for Genesis 8 were available and a reasonable range of hair density, thickness, & color presets made available painting wouldn't be needed hardly at all - only styling would be needed.

    h) A "buzz cut / flat top mode" for selected polygon(s) would be welcome that we could up the hair density and hair thickness higher than for longer styles.

    i) Similar to scissors, a way to say that for selected polygon(s) hair should be length X at polygon line I (top) tapering shorter (or possibly longer) to  length Y at polygon J (bottom), and even length Z at polygon K (back) tapering shorter (possibly longer) to length W at polygon L (front) to more accurately taper and style hair cuts although practically speaking hair is usually tapered top to bottom and not back to front..

    8) As a owner of the old DAZ 3D Game Content license for DAZ Originals in the DAZ 3D Store I'd like to be able to export this hair as polygon strands (although I'd likely never actually do that for a real game but might for an animation (for which it wouldn't be needed anyway). Mostly conveniently is some sort of Blender compatible format if allowed.

    Otherwise from this wishlist I made, I found this new 'strand hair' in DAZ Studio much easier to use than LAMH. I can't speak about Girabaldi as I bought it but never tried it.

    I find it renders a very shiny cartoon color but adjusting the different colors available will probably remedy that mostly. Anybody have any color presets yet?

    Here is a mediocre hair style I did in about 30 minutes using the new strand hair feature that helped guide me with my thinking as to how it could be improved for users of DAZ Studio. You can see on the hair part the thinness of the hair (I upped the density of the hair to 25). You can see to get a part I combed it too flat. You can see I cut the hair too short on the sides and back and combed it too flat for a hair density of 25. It would be nice to have a setting to say hair can't lay flatter on the head than X degrees at the hair root and that would make realistic styling easier too. A lot of that would be helped by having thicker hair strands and higher density too.   

    I have a 3rd Gen intel CPU/integrated intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU laptop and it handles the styling & modeling quite easily. The rendering takes time though but that was already the case.

    I'm pretty excited about the ease of styling original hair styles if this strand hair feature is extended like it's possible to extend it.

    Hmm I think I'll stick with Garibaldi for now, as it has most of the things you listed:) Does this thing use its own dedicated shader or can you apply a shader to it? Also can you use hair textures? When I export the GB hair I can choose root to tip UV and then apply regular hair textures if needed.

    Funny you should say that cause the Strand Based hair is the evolution of what was once Garibaldi Express - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581196/#Comment_4581196

    The options are still there and have not moved from what I can see.  Anyone familiar with Garibaldi should feel right at home using the Strand based hair.

    Also, look in the DIM for the updated dForce Starter essentials.  It got updated with the dForce hair samples and the Iray and 3DL shaders for the hair.

    Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 4,596
    Mattymanx said:

    I tested and can make a quick wishlist:

    1) A wireframed openGL texture mode when painting the hair would make it much easier to see that the hair follicles are being realistically placed.

    2) Except for a few boundary situations it's much less error prone to be able to paint hair follicles by selecting polygons and then manually paint/draw the polygons that are boundary situations. 

    3) I'm not a fan of how DAZ 3D models have their surfaces laid out - it's OK for toon characters but not for making it easy to paint realistic material sets for different people easily  - it's done in a way that fingerprint patterns are on the same surface as the arm pattern when it'd be more sensible for fingers to have different surfaces for each phalange on the front & back, the scalp area of the head and eyebrow area are other places where different surfaces belong, hair follicles, oil glands, sweat glands and other skin features that give skin it's different characteristics in different parts of the body are not at all taken into account in the DAZ 3D flagship models in the Skin materials Surfaces layouts, and likewise over the entire body the functional adaptions of the skin surfaces is more sensibly handled by creating different surface areas for all that different functionality because the different functionality makes the skin look different in those different areas. 

    4) Choose different color paint for different density - OK - I see one can create multiple density maps but I just had a crash bug on that so a fix for that is welcome I've submitted a bug report on the crash resulting from my use of the strand hair feature "multiple density maps"..

    5) A way to gradient paint hair strands and mix different color hairs - e.g. salt & pepper hair color

    6) Hair strand thickness -  Blonds generally are supposed to have finer hair (not always true for sure) and the Far Eastern folk are supposed to have the thickest hair strands (also not 100% true but generally).

    7) Comb is a good first step but creating hair parts is troublesome -

    a) How about a 'wet mode' where the hair lays flat on the head & a part mode whereby we can draw a line (or multiple lines) and the hair parts in opposite directions of the line drawn no combing needed? 

    b) There can be a gather function whereby the hair within an enclosing polygon that we draw or select is pulled up to a flat edge towards the center line of the polygon perpendicular to the surface of the polygon (spiked hairstyle basically like barbers do when cutting hair)

    c) or to a point in the middle of the polygon perpendicular from the surface.

    d) A "hair lay flat (well at 10 degrees or some named degree of flatness at the follicles) mode" for selected a polygon(s) in the direction of cursor drag to eliminate a lot of ineffective, overlapping, and messy combing.

    e) A "curl or wavy" mode then can be applied for X number of waves with the sin wave multiplied by a larger constant for waves and smaller constants for curls at length Y from the hair follicle allowing only the end of the hair to be easily styled for the selected polygon(s). Multiple sine wave functions of varying curl/waviness can be applied to the same set of polygon(s).

    f) Alternatively the gathered hair in the polygon can be put into a curler or bobby pin or so on.

    g) Here I think creating a skull cap, eyebrow cap, and various body hair caps modeled in sections into small clear polygons that matched the natural layout of human hair on the body and autofit onto different characters as part of the Genesis 8 defaults would be preferable to creating the hair directly on the model surfaces to save as presets. It would be so easy to paint hair if the model surfaces already took human hair distribution patterns into account and created enough surfaces that we'd check the surface we want to paint and paint with two left thumbs for the most part without worrying too much about hairlines because all the new surfaces were created takes those varying hairlines into account for the most part already. If you think about it, if these new surfaces (or a new set of human head & body hair caps that took those characteristic hair surfaces into account) for Genesis 8 were available and a reasonable range of hair density, thickness, & color presets made available painting wouldn't be needed hardly at all - only styling would be needed.

    h) A "buzz cut / flat top mode" for selected polygon(s) would be welcome that we could up the hair density and hair thickness higher than for longer styles.

    i) Similar to scissors, a way to say that for selected polygon(s) hair should be length X at polygon line I (top) tapering shorter (or possibly longer) to  length Y at polygon J (bottom), and even length Z at polygon K (back) tapering shorter (possibly longer) to length W at polygon L (front) to more accurately taper and style hair cuts although practically speaking hair is usually tapered top to bottom and not back to front..

    8) As a owner of the old DAZ 3D Game Content license for DAZ Originals in the DAZ 3D Store I'd like to be able to export this hair as polygon strands (although I'd likely never actually do that for a real game but might for an animation (for which it wouldn't be needed anyway). Mostly conveniently is some sort of Blender compatible format if allowed.

    Otherwise from this wishlist I made, I found this new 'strand hair' in DAZ Studio much easier to use than LAMH. I can't speak about Girabaldi as I bought it but never tried it.

    I find it renders a very shiny cartoon color but adjusting the different colors available will probably remedy that mostly. Anybody have any color presets yet?

    Here is a mediocre hair style I did in about 30 minutes using the new strand hair feature that helped guide me with my thinking as to how it could be improved for users of DAZ Studio. You can see on the hair part the thinness of the hair (I upped the density of the hair to 25). You can see to get a part I combed it too flat. You can see I cut the hair too short on the sides and back and combed it too flat for a hair density of 25. It would be nice to have a setting to say hair can't lay flatter on the head than X degrees at the hair root and that would make realistic styling easier too. A lot of that would be helped by having thicker hair strands and higher density too.   

    I have a 3rd Gen intel CPU/integrated intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU laptop and it handles the styling & modeling quite easily. The rendering takes time though but that was already the case.

    I'm pretty excited about the ease of styling original hair styles if this strand hair feature is extended like it's possible to extend it.

    Hmm I think I'll stick with Garibaldi for now, as it has most of the things you listed:) Does this thing use its own dedicated shader or can you apply a shader to it? Also can you use hair textures? When I export the GB hair I can choose root to tip UV and then apply regular hair textures if needed.

    Funny you should say that cause the Strand Based hair is the evolution of what was once Garibaldi Express - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581196/#Comment_4581196

    The options are still there and have not moved from what I can see.  Anyone familiar with Garibaldi should feel right at home using the Strand based hair.

    Also, look in the DIM for the updated dForce Starter essentials.  It got updated with the dForce hair samples and the Iray and 3DL shaders for the hair.

    Tks:)

  • HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 731

    This looks great, top work being shown already.

    (A little concerned that Emily thinks chest hair is on the belly in the video though)

  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 150

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 4,596

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

    About nr1, if it works like in Garibaldi editor, you need to set the grayscale color to 0 and repaint, to erase.

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 59,449

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

    About nr1, if it works like in Garibaldi editor, you need to set the grayscale color to 0 and repaint, to erase.

    Yes, that is correct.

  • dougjdougj Posts: 69
    edited May 2019

    Has anybody figured out a way to erase

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

    About nr1, if it works like in Garibaldi editor, you need to set the grayscale color to 0 and repaint, to erase.

    Yes, that is correct.

    Another option to erase is set the brush value to 0%.

    Post edited by dougj on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited May 2019

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

    As far as number two goes, change the colours of the Iray shaded hair (under the 'Surfaces' tab) to something close to white but not exact, then load your image in beside each one. I have been experimenting with the image textures included with DG Iray 200 Hair Color Shaders since I already owned the product, but you can make your own images. I haven't got any more time to mess with this now, but will have another later I expect. The strands run horizontally across the UV map, and a bit of trial and error should soon get us all putting our colors where we want them to go.

    ColoursDG.jpg
    400 x 400 - 87K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 1,301
    DAZ_Steve said:

    More to come soon... We've got a lot fo things planned for this year.

    Not to push you in any way, really .. but adding albedo and displacement support to the 4.11 denoiser would make it usable. Actually it's just a little more than a standard blur filter and it is a shame since there's great potential there. Please see the discussion.

    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/316206/denoise-renders-and-save-a-lot-of-time-nvidia-not-reqd#latest

     

  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 4,629
    edited May 2019

    I didn't reset any colors to erase. I just put the Value slider to zero and painted over what I didn't want. Thanks to BlueIrene for that one ;).

    Laurie

    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 150
    BlueIrene said:

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

    As far as number two goes, change the colours of the Iray shaded hair (under the 'Surfaces' tab) to something close to white but not exact, then load your image in beside each one. I have been experimenting with the image textures included with DG Iray 200 Hair Color Shaders since I already owned the product, but you can make your own images. I haven't got any more time to mess with this now, but will have another later I expect. The strands run horizontally across the UV map, and a bit of trial and error should soon get us all putting our colors where we want them to go.

    Yeah, the issue for me, is, that I render a lot of animals, thus I need to be very exact with the markings on the fur.

    https://i.imgur.com/i4aVC7n.png using the diffuse of the model.

    I guess I could try to do a LAMH texture and try to apply it as the texture.

  • PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 341

    Now this... this I am looking forward to.

    One of the things that always had me going crazy with daz was the sheer bloody size of the hairs.

    This corrects a great deal of that.

  • where does one download this

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 5,857

    where does one download this

    You can download the new beta with DIM. Make sure DIM filters are set to show “public builds”, they might be hidden by default.

  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 6,949

    Can you edit the hair once created I can seem to see a way to do that?

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 13,123
    scorpio said:

    Can you edit the hair once created I can seem to see a way to do that?

    Select the Strand-Based Hair object in the Scene pane. Then in the menus, Edit/Object/Edit Strand-Based Hair.

  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 6,949
    barbult said:
    scorpio said:

    Can you edit the hair once created I can seem to see a way to do that?

    Select the Strand-Based Hair object in the Scene pane. Then in the menus, Edit/Object/Edit Strand-Based Hair.

    Thanks I looked just about everywhere but either didn't look there or totally missed it.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 12,685
    Mattymanx said:

    I tested and can make a quick wishlist:

    1) A wireframed openGL texture mode when painting the hair would make it much easier to see that the hair follicles are being realistically placed.

    2) Except for a few boundary situations it's much less error prone to be able to paint hair follicles by selecting polygons and then manually paint/draw the polygons that are boundary situations. 

    3) I'm not a fan of how DAZ 3D models have their surfaces laid out - it's OK for toon characters but not for making it easy to paint realistic material sets for different people easily  - it's done in a way that fingerprint patterns are on the same surface as the arm pattern when it'd be more sensible for fingers to have different surfaces for each phalange on the front & back, the scalp area of the head and eyebrow area are other places where different surfaces belong, hair follicles, oil glands, sweat glands and other skin features that give skin it's different characteristics in different parts of the body are not at all taken into account in the DAZ 3D flagship models in the Skin materials Surfaces layouts, and likewise over the entire body the functional adaptions of the skin surfaces is more sensibly handled by creating different surface areas for all that different functionality because the different functionality makes the skin look different in those different areas. 

    4) Choose different color paint for different density - OK - I see one can create multiple density maps but I just had a crash bug on that so a fix for that is welcome I've submitted a bug report on the crash resulting from my use of the strand hair feature "multiple density maps"..

    5) A way to gradient paint hair strands and mix different color hairs - e.g. salt & pepper hair color

    6) Hair strand thickness -  Blonds generally are supposed to have finer hair (not always true for sure) and the Far Eastern folk are supposed to have the thickest hair strands (also not 100% true but generally).

    7) Comb is a good first step but creating hair parts is troublesome -

    a) How about a 'wet mode' where the hair lays flat on the head & a part mode whereby we can draw a line (or multiple lines) and the hair parts in opposite directions of the line drawn no combing needed? 

    b) There can be a gather function whereby the hair within an enclosing polygon that we draw or select is pulled up to a flat edge towards the center line of the polygon perpendicular to the surface of the polygon (spiked hairstyle basically like barbers do when cutting hair)

    c) or to a point in the middle of the polygon perpendicular from the surface.

    d) A "hair lay flat (well at 10 degrees or some named degree of flatness at the follicles) mode" for selected a polygon(s) in the direction of cursor drag to eliminate a lot of ineffective, overlapping, and messy combing.

    e) A "curl or wavy" mode then can be applied for X number of waves with the sin wave multiplied by a larger constant for waves and smaller constants for curls at length Y from the hair follicle allowing only the end of the hair to be easily styled for the selected polygon(s). Multiple sine wave functions of varying curl/waviness can be applied to the same set of polygon(s).

    f) Alternatively the gathered hair in the polygon can be put into a curler or bobby pin or so on.

    g) Here I think creating a skull cap, eyebrow cap, and various body hair caps modeled in sections into small clear polygons that matched the natural layout of human hair on the body and autofit onto different characters as part of the Genesis 8 defaults would be preferable to creating the hair directly on the model surfaces to save as presets. It would be so easy to paint hair if the model surfaces already took human hair distribution patterns into account and created enough surfaces that we'd check the surface we want to paint and paint with two left thumbs for the most part without worrying too much about hairlines because all the new surfaces were created takes those varying hairlines into account for the most part already. If you think about it, if these new surfaces (or a new set of human head & body hair caps that took those characteristic hair surfaces into account) for Genesis 8 were available and a reasonable range of hair density, thickness, & color presets made available painting wouldn't be needed hardly at all - only styling would be needed.

    h) A "buzz cut / flat top mode" for selected polygon(s) would be welcome that we could up the hair density and hair thickness higher than for longer styles.

    i) Similar to scissors, a way to say that for selected polygon(s) hair should be length X at polygon line I (top) tapering shorter (or possibly longer) to  length Y at polygon J (bottom), and even length Z at polygon K (back) tapering shorter (possibly longer) to length W at polygon L (front) to more accurately taper and style hair cuts although practically speaking hair is usually tapered top to bottom and not back to front..

    8) As a owner of the old DAZ 3D Game Content license for DAZ Originals in the DAZ 3D Store I'd like to be able to export this hair as polygon strands (although I'd likely never actually do that for a real game but might for an animation (for which it wouldn't be needed anyway). Mostly conveniently is some sort of Blender compatible format if allowed.

    Otherwise from this wishlist I made, I found this new 'strand hair' in DAZ Studio much easier to use than LAMH. I can't speak about Girabaldi as I bought it but never tried it.

    I find it renders a very shiny cartoon color but adjusting the different colors available will probably remedy that mostly. Anybody have any color presets yet?

    Here is a mediocre hair style I did in about 30 minutes using the new strand hair feature that helped guide me with my thinking as to how it could be improved for users of DAZ Studio. You can see on the hair part the thinness of the hair (I upped the density of the hair to 25). You can see to get a part I combed it too flat. You can see I cut the hair too short on the sides and back and combed it too flat for a hair density of 25. It would be nice to have a setting to say hair can't lay flatter on the head than X degrees at the hair root and that would make realistic styling easier too. A lot of that would be helped by having thicker hair strands and higher density too.   

    I have a 3rd Gen intel CPU/integrated intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU laptop and it handles the styling & modeling quite easily. The rendering takes time though but that was already the case.

    I'm pretty excited about the ease of styling original hair styles if this strand hair feature is extended like it's possible to extend it.

    Hmm I think I'll stick with Garibaldi for now, as it has most of the things you listed:) Does this thing use its own dedicated shader or can you apply a shader to it? Also can you use hair textures? When I export the GB hair I can choose root to tip UV and then apply regular hair textures if needed.

    Funny you should say that cause the Strand Based hair is the evolution of what was once Garibaldi Express - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581196/#Comment_4581196

    The options are still there and have not moved from what I can see.  Anyone familiar with Garibaldi should feel right at home using the Strand based hair.

    Also, look in the DIM for the updated dForce Starter essentials.  It got updated with the dForce hair samples and the Iray and 3DL shaders for the hair.

    Tks:)

    I only saw a couple of the things mentioned as already available and importantly could only select hair when styling by selecting hair control points on the hair itself. I would like to select hair by polygon on the human model and be able to assign those polygons to styling sets.

    I saw no way to manually select any polygons in order to paint them instead of dragging a cursor for a varying hair density sets. And also how to select individual polygons or groups of polygons to create individual styling sets. The sine curves and such I did see but aren't very useful if I can't create individual styling sets by grouping polygons. They also aren't very precise or we'd be seeing lots of Giralbaldi hair presets in the DAZ Store for a long time already.

    And if those things above can be done tell me how to select a polygon line I in a polygon set and set the hair length at X there and have the hair length shorten to hair length Y at the otherside of the bounding polygon at line J.that I select. Basically being able to design an accurate taper cut.

    A way to tell Strand Hair I want to put the hair in rollers of radius R for the selected polygon would be helpful. I didn't see that either. A springy / limp factor for the hair strands would be nice just like real springs have and would effect how the hair comes out of the curlers.

    Can individual polygons be selected and grouped into new styling sets or not? I guess I will try and find a Girbaldi PDF in my DAZ Content to find out.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 12,685
    BlueIrene said:

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

    As far as number two goes, change the colours of the Iray shaded hair (under the 'Surfaces' tab) to something close to white but not exact, then load your image in beside each one. I have been experimenting with the image textures included with DG Iray 200 Hair Color Shaders since I already owned the product, but you can make your own images. I haven't got any more time to mess with this now, but will have another later I expect. The strands run horizontally across the UV map, and a bit of trial and error should soon get us all putting our colors where we want them to go.

    Yeah, the issue for me, is, that I render a lot of animals, thus I need to be very exact with the markings on the fur.

    https://i.imgur.com/i4aVC7n.png using the diffuse of the model.

    I guess I could try to do a LAMH texture and try to apply it as the texture.

    For what you are talking about you need to be able to have a) multiple colors alternate on the same hair shaft like a striped horizontally hair shaft - already the root and tip can be different colors but I think it's a gradient shade. b) and painstaking paint multiple hair density control sets that match the tiger, tabby cat, jaguar or whatever fur pattern you want, even if the hair density & length are the same. It would be nice though if we could do most of the 'painting' just be selecting polygon sets on the model!

  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 150
    BlueIrene said:

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

    As far as number two goes, change the colours of the Iray shaded hair (under the 'Surfaces' tab) to something close to white but not exact, then load your image in beside each one. I have been experimenting with the image textures included with DG Iray 200 Hair Color Shaders since I already owned the product, but you can make your own images. I haven't got any more time to mess with this now, but will have another later I expect. The strands run horizontally across the UV map, and a bit of trial and error should soon get us all putting our colors where we want them to go.

    Yeah, the issue for me, is, that I render a lot of animals, thus I need to be very exact with the markings on the fur.

    https://i.imgur.com/i4aVC7n.png using the diffuse of the model.

    I guess I could try to do a LAMH texture and try to apply it as the texture.

    For what you are talking about you need to be able to have a) multiple colors alternate on the same hair shaft like a striped horizontally hair shaft - already the root and tip can be different colors but I think it's a gradient shade. b) and painstaking paint multiple hair density control sets that match the tiger, tabby cat, jaguar or whatever fur pattern you want, even if the hair density & length are the same. It would be nice though if we could do most of the 'painting' just be selecting polygon sets on the model!

    I mean, that is how LAMH works, you put a texture, it replicates the pattern on it onto the fur. I'm not saying the new hair thing sucks, note.

  • missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 797

    Must we render the hair to see it properly? The NVidia Iray preview doesn't work. This makes it kind of annoying. That said, this has been way more stable for me than prior versions of Garibaldi.

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 5,857

    Must we render the hair to see it properly? The NVidia Iray preview doesn't work. This makes it kind of annoying. That said, this has been way more stable for me than prior versions of Garibaldi.

    Here's a post from Rob about viewing strand based hair in Iray preview: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581461/#Comment_4581461

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 59,449
    edited May 2019
    BlueIrene said:

    Strand based hair works very well with Catalyzer: https://i.imgur.com/4hSMwCp.png

    Some critique/questions, though;

    1) The painting of the fur part has no eraser option. It would need one if a person wants to be exact.

    2) How to use textures for the colours in the strand based program? Or is it unable to use the diffuse layer to pick the strand colours?

    3) How does one create their own dforce hair? Can it be applied to existing hair models (so far, the answer seems a resounding nope.)

    As far as number two goes, change the colours of the Iray shaded hair (under the 'Surfaces' tab) to something close to white but not exact, then load your image in beside each one. I have been experimenting with the image textures included with DG Iray 200 Hair Color Shaders since I already owned the product, but you can make your own images. I haven't got any more time to mess with this now, but will have another later I expect. The strands run horizontally across the UV map, and a bit of trial and error should soon get us all putting our colors where we want them to go.

    The strands get their UVs from the base surface's UVs, at the point of attachment if the supplied shaders are used.

    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 13,123
    edited May 2019

    Still experimenting...I made it curly and a little longer.

    G8F Strand Hair 2_008 Curly.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 797
    Leana said:

    Must we render the hair to see it properly? The NVidia Iray preview doesn't work. This makes it kind of annoying. That said, this has been way more stable for me than prior versions of Garibaldi.

    Here's a post from Rob about viewing strand based hair in Iray preview: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581461/#Comment_4581461

    Thank you!! Took awhile for me to find the "Preview PR Hairs" setting. If anyone else is wondering, with the Strand-Based Hair selected in the Scene tab, go to Parameters. Under General, there's Line Tessellation, and that's where you can turn "Preview PR Hairs" on.

  • GlenWebbGlenWebb Posts: 504
    barbult said:

    Still experimenting...I made it curly and a little longer.

    Wow, great work, barbult. One of the things I quickly notice is the shine of the hair and how it has the layered look. Really has a lot of depth.
  • DAZ_JoshDAZ_Josh Posts: 1,319
    edited May 2019

    Like Richard posted, you can use the UVs of the target surface to color your hair. I applied the same map to the ground plane and the hair and did a quick render.

    Edit: to do this you need to apply the "Iray Blended Dual Lobe Hair Shader" we included in the dForce Starter Essentials.

    SurfaceColors.png
    806 x 911 - 898K
    Post edited by DAZ_Josh on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 13,123
    DAZ_Josh said:

    Like Richard posted, you can use the UVs of the target surface to color your hair. I applied the same map to the ground plane and the hair and did a quick render.

    Edit: to do this you need to apply the "Iray Blended Dual Lobe Hair Shader" we included in the dForce Starter Essentials.

    Interesting. What image map(s) did you put the texture map into in the Surfaces pane?

  • DAZ_JoshDAZ_Josh Posts: 1,319

    I applied it to the Root and Tip Transmission Colors and the Root and Tip Color properties

Sign In or Register to comment.