dForce Hair (as well as strand based hair and the strand based hair editor) in public beta

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited May 2019

I've just had this pass testing so thought I would share a preview - it's called Longdrape Hair (it is long and it drapes!). It is a dForce Hair, it drapes very fast and will come with lots of options such as different shapes which will affect how it drapes (in front of or behind the shoulders etc), 25 colors, different lengths and so on. I hope you will like it.

Promo01 Main Longdrape Hair Dark Roots.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 306K
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    PhilW said:

I've just had this pass testing so thought I would share a preview - it's called Longdrape Hair (it is long and it drapes!). It is a dForce Hair, it drapes very fast and will come with lots of options such as different shapes which will affect how it drapes (in front of or behind the shoulders etc), 25 colors, different lengths and so on. I hope you will like it.

good job Phil

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

Thanks for the beautiful preview, Phil. Can you tell us how we can make dForce hair of our own with DS 4.11.0.366?

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited June 2019

Post edited by Joepingleton on
    barbult said:

I'm trying short dog fur. It is so short, you can barely see it.

Playing around with the new Strand Based Hair in the DAZ Studio 4.11 beta on DAZ Dog 8. No post work

Wow, your dog looks much better than mine! That is great work. I'm going to have to try longer fur. You've shown what can be done.

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, I liked your approach and was worried I may have tried to tackle too much for my first experiment with strand hair.  I wanted to see if a distribution map I created for LAMH would work with strand hair to control the length of the hairs.  Since I have no idea what I am doing I am pleasantly surprised it kind of worked ;)

Where did you use your LAMH distribution map in the Strand-Based Hair editor?

• DAZ_Steve_2154153DAZ_Steve_2154153 Posts: 565
    edited May 2019
    barbult said:

Thanks for the beautiful preview, Phil. Can you tell us how we can make dForce hair of our own with DS 4.11.0.366?

The publicly available tools allow customers to make strand based hair, and to use dForce hair, but not to turn Strand based hair into dForce hair.

Post edited by DAZ_Steve_2154153 on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Lame attempt at the Millenium cat... Only 65% rendered after 1 hour on 1080ti. Not sure how people are saying this renders fast! And we really need instructions! I*s there a way to make the hair uneven? I like the comb but wish there was more control over it, making tufts in some places longer than others. If there is, it's not intuitive at all...

The plugin it's based on had something called the tweak workspace, which included options like scraggle: https://www.garibaldiexpress.com/docs/Tweak_Workspace

(Disclaimer: not messing with this beta, just poking around doing research.)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    DAZ_Steve said:
    barbult said:

The publicly available tools allow customers to make strand based hair, and to use dForce hair, but not to turn Strand based hair into dForce hair.

But surely strandbased hair can be converted to poly hair?

• oomuoomu Posts: 175

it's definitely old plugin Garibaldi merged in DAZ Studio. So now it will not break with future DAZ and it will be iray compatible without complications and crazy export/import in obj format.

It's great. I'll use it a lot. Thank you.

And Dforce Hair will be a great tool to use too.

---

Now, what I really love to have, it's the possibility to create HD morphs (with ZBrush for example) without commiting to be a professional creator and a commercial relationships with DAZ :).   Maybe a "not redistribuable" licence (allowing only to create assets for private use) or a then, if needed for to justify the feature, a fee for amateurish use.

DAZ_Steve said:
    barbult said:

Is it like the tool to create HD morphs, i.e. only available to PAs? That would be disappointing. But I appreciate the tools we've been given.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet (or else my eyes glazed over before I got that far) but does the "dForce" part of the new hair mean it can be set to drape over the figure's shoulders, clothes worn over the shoulders, stuff the hairy figure's lying on, etc.?

(I don't do betas, and any upgrade to 4.11 must wait until I've scraped together the $$$ for a better computer that can run it. So I'm not in a great upgrade rush.)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    edited May 2019
    barbult said:
    DAZ_Steve said:
    barbult said:

Is it like the tool to create HD morphs, i.e. only available to PAs? That would be disappointing. But I appreciate the tools we've been given.

That would be my guess - and I think you are showing why.cheeky It will serve as an incentive for PAs to continue making hair products that we mere mortals cannot quite duplicate.

ETA - PhilW - insta-buy!

Post edited by namffuak on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    DAZ_Steve said:
    barbult said:

Rob says

As I've already explained (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581461/#Comment_4581461), Strand-Based Hair IS converted to polygons (i.e., tessellated) in order to preview it in the viewport or render it. That generated geometry is also exportable through the standard methods of the application (e.g., the OBJ exporter).
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    oomu said:

it's definitely old plugin Garibaldi merged in DAZ Studio. So now it will not break with future DAZ and it will be iray compatible without complications and crazy export/import in obj format.

It's great. I'll use it a lot. Thank you.

And Dforce Hair will be a great tool to use too.

---

Now, what I really love to have, it's the possibility to create HD morphs (with ZBrush for example) without commiting to be a professional creator and a commercial relationships with DAZ :).   Maybe a "not redistribuable" licence (allowing only to create assets for private use) or a then, if needed for to justify the feature, a fee for amateurish use.

Please read here :-  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581196/#Comment_4581196

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    PhilW said:

Wow! Now we’re talking. That’s fantastic, Phil. Did you use the strand hairs and then convert them to dForce?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Chohole said:
    DAZ_Steve said:
    barbult said:

Rob says

As I've already explained (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581461/#Comment_4581461), Strand-Based Hair IS converted to polygons (i.e., tessellated) in order to preview it in the viewport or render it. That generated geometry is also exportable through the standard methods of the application (e.g., the OBJ exporter).

Tks:)

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    DAZ_Steve said:
    barbult said:

I appreciate the reply, Steve. Is this permanent or temporary? If it’s permanent, what’s the point in giving us with the ability to make strand-based hair that is obviously capable of dForce, but not allow us to use that feature? That’s honestly a little maddening. I understand (and want) the PA’s and DAZ to make money, but I don’t think allowing us access to these tools would impact the bottom line. I mean, technically all of us could use Blender to create characters or clothes, but most of us don’t.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    edited May 2019

More arty than realistic Mil Cat, but after postwork, a bit better. May break down and get the Hivewire cat if Daz is not intending on releasing one because that has LAMH already as a freebie. 

E777581B-68AB-4BC9-ACF5-FE8D31D4BEE6.jpeg
    800 x 1000 - 643K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@PhilW "it's called Longdrape Hair (it is long and it drapes!)"

I'm hoping some of the length options are shorter. We don't always want mid-back or longer hair.

Otherwise, looks fab.

PhilW said:

This looks great! I would love a hair like this that you could then comb and style. Maybe twisting the comb to make curls like in real life with a curling iron...

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    So is the strand hair by itself dynamic at all?
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    edited May 2019
    Cybersox said:

Argh... "New Strand Based Hair action (Linked documentation is in progress permanently disabled.), Edit Strand based Hair Action (linked documentation is in progress permanently disabled.)"  That's just cruel, DAZ.

FTFY, I love Daz, but the documentation center is pathetic... Still, I'm glad we got such an amazing tool, I personally gave up on the doc center and simply play with it...

EDIT: We cannot use it via dforce which entirely defeats the purpose of dforced strand-based hair...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • randy88randy88 Posts: 16
    edited May 2019

I tried to make a short fur at Hive Wire House Cat.

玄ちゃんに毛を生やす2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 371K
    玄ちゃんに毛を生やす.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 425K
    Post edited by randy88 on
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited June 2019

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787

That looks great, Joepingleton.

edited May 2019

First serious attempt. Try not to laugh too hard at a newbs work.

Strand Hair 1st Attempt

That looks great! How did you get the bangs to do that? Whenever I use the comb for hair on the scalp, it sinks into the scalp and is mostly invisible....

Edit: I think I figured it out... Added density and conformed to a geoshell to have it stick out more, but maybe I didn’t need the geoshell... Still testing.

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    DAZ_Steve said:
    barbult said:

I appreciate the reply, Steve. Is this permanent or temporary? If it’s permanent, what’s the point in giving us with the ability to make strand-based hair that is obviously capable of dForce, but not allow us to use that feature? That’s honestly a little maddening. I understand (and want) the PA’s and DAZ to make money, but I don’t think allowing us access to these tools would impact the bottom line. I mean, technically all of us could use Blender to create characters or clothes, but most of us don’t.

The hair tools are enhanced over Garibaldi, and you can export as OBJ and treat it like dForce cloth (but not hair).

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

So many inspiring examples. I couldn't resist trying another quick experiment playing around with Noggin's Hamster.  I also wanted to see if I could use more than one animal with Strand Based Hair in one render. 

cool, what's your pc specs so we can gauge the efficency 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737

I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet (or else my eyes glazed over before I got that far) but does the "dForce" part of the new hair mean it can be set to drape over the figure's shoulders, clothes worn over the shoulders, stuff the hairy figure's lying on, etc.?

Not the basic strand hair that isn't dForce, which is what we can create, but the dForce hair that PAs will (hopefully) be making yes.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    Sorel said:
    So is the strand hair by itself dynamic at all?

No, it is not dForce-able at all.