March Madness 2019

vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
edited April 2019 in The Commons

With VWrangler's permission, I'm adding this to the first post to show what the Key Items are that are mentioned on the March Madness sales page.

So, the Madness has started.

And it needs clarification.

The ad page says, Get 70% OFF* "when you have bought a New Release from the last three (3) days" (doesn't seem to be working for Dante -- the price doesn't drop in cart even though I've purchased in the past three days, but it may be restricted to purchases during the sale itself. Fair enough. That said, if that's the case, it should be made explicit, since that means no discount will be seen before Wednesday.)

However, notice that asterisk. That, presumably, refers to the statement at the bottom of that section: "* Items must be in cart simultaneously for discount to apply."

Those conditions literally cannot coexist in that way. If you purchased something two days ago, it shouldn't be in the cart at the same time as the item being discounted.

Any clarification will be much appreciated.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• just did a cart test with a new item and 3 mad artist items with Dante and his price doesn't change either, unless you gotta buy something from this sale then buy something again with him added

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited February 2019

Note to self: never try to understand a Daz sale after having had a few cocktails...  PS. Happy Oscars everyone! Yay, Green Book won! 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

Note to self: never try to understand a Daz sale after having had a few cocktails...  PS. Happy Oscars everyone! Yay, Green Book won! 

I think the real problem is that the DAZ web page programmers don't understand the sales.  :/

• ButchButch Posts: 797
    Cybersox said:

I think the real problem is that the DAZ web page programmers don't understand the sales.  :/

I don't think anybody understands the sales. 

• Just don't bother until the 1st or 2nd week in April. If i've learned anything from past March Madness sales, it never pays to buy early. Build your wish list and wait for everything to go on sale at the end.

• Ok, we're going to try to get everyone to post March Madness issues in this thread. 

VWrangler, may I post the following to your OP to show the key items for now?

• The Dante issue should be fixed now.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited February 2019

Ok, we're going to try to get everyone to post March Madness issues in this thread. 

VWrangler, may I post the following to your OP to show the key items for now?

Fine with me. I actually didn't understand what was going on there, either.

I see they've fixed things on the page so that some of it is clearer. They do still need to fix the text regarding the Bonus Madness item; that sale can't work that way. Come to think of it, it can't work that way for the "Your Key" items either; if you've already bought them, they shouldn't be in the cart to trigger the additional discounts.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited February 2019
    vwrangler said:
    I see they've fixed things on the page so that some of it is clearer. They do still need to fix the text regarding the Bonus Madness item; that sale can't work that way.

Can you explain to me what you mean? It does mean the last three days and should be working.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • ButchButch Posts: 797
    edited February 2019

Yep, Dante's showing in my cart as $3.98.

As for my previous comment, ignore me - it has been a long day. 

Post edited by Butch on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Butch said:
    Cybersox said:

I don't think anybody understands the sales.

LOL. I think I do. I posted a section-by-section breakdown in the sales thread. I was having issues with the Bonus Madness item, as everyone else was, but it was fixed by the time I posted.

Happy MM, everybody! (Wallets, start your engines…)

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    edited February 2019
    Butch said:

how did you manage this? if "the last three days" includes today, i get Dante slightly discounted (58% = $8.83), but def not 70% nor 3.98, even i bought 1 of today's new releases...

EDITED TO ADD: were there even new releases the last 3 days? i don't remember, during the weekend i'm sure there were days without new stuff.. and if yes, which ones from the list of all new releases here -> https://www.daz3d.com/index_redir.php/new-releases ?

Shopping Cart 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D 2019-02-25.png
    1366 x 1006 - 187K
    Post edited by manekiNeko on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    TGSNT said:

Just don't bother until the 1st or 2nd week in April. If i've learned anything from past March Madness sales, it never pays to buy early. Build your wish list and wait for everything to go on sale at the end.

Could you explain what do you mean?
    It's the first time I'm around for the March Madness. The sales so far doesn't excite me that much.

So are you saying that these sales will continue until the first half of April, and that in the last period everything will go back on sale?

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

There are usually catchup sales half way through, and at the end of this sale, which generally go through to the first or second week of April. Last year's March Madness sale did not really offer better than average discounts until about the third week.

Having said that, these annual sales don't usually repeat in how they work, so anything can happen, including accidental over-discounting (even free, for some products).

The only thing we can be sure of is that every March Madness sale is different to every other.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

March Madness lasts for the whole month of March, sometimes extending into April if they have a lot of products to release. There's absolutely no guarantee that it will still be running in April this year....

Rules tend to change every year, but there are some constants:
    New items released as part of the sale are "Newly Mad" for the first day, then usually "Still Mad" for 2 more days, then just on regular intro sale. Usually the "buy N to get a bigger discount" offer works for items from both "newly mad" and "still mad" categories, but there are special daily offers related to "newly mad" items (like the discount on GC today).

There are usually "catch up" sales during some week-ends (at least half-month, usually) and at the end of the sale, for people who missed daily sales. Catchup sales offers are not always as good as daily offers for new items, though, and they usually don't include all the daily specials, so waiting till the end of the sale may not be the best idea if you're interested in new releases.

Discount on back catalog is often the same throughout the sale and for catchup, but not always.

IMO if the offer you get from the daily sale suits you there's no real point in waiting. If you're not that interested in the particular day's offer, then it can be worth waiting to see the offer for the next days, or even for catchup.

• Just keep in mind, from my memory, catchup doesn't always give you the same discounts from the first time they are offered (on the item and/or additional items on sale with it).

• and sometimes you may get a bonus for buying the previous day or two in stackup discounts and/or buying so much during the sale and sometimes a pro bundle or two gets released during sale and extra discounts are offered

edited February 2019
    Butch said:

how did you manage this? if "the last three days" includes today, i get Dante slightly discounted (58% = $8.83), but def not 70% nor 3.98, even i bought 1 of today's new releases...

Doing the math, It took a minute to figure out how you got $8.83… Because

• ((18.95 - 30% ) - 30%) = $9.29   [the price on the product page]
    • ((18.95 - 30%) - 70%) = $3.98   [the price with the Bonus 70% discount]

But you also have a gift card in the cart, which gives you an extra 5% for having a cart over $200. So you are getting:

• (((18.95 - 30% ) - 30%) - 10% = $8.83   [the price on the product page]

Based on the math, it looks like items from today are not triggering the discount. Either that is a mistake, or it clears up the question of what is meant by "the last three (3) days"!

Post edited by L'Adair on
    L'Adair said:
    Butch said:

Doing the math, It took a minute to figure out how you ggot $8.83… Because

But you also have a gift card in the cart, which gives you an extra 5% for having a cart over $200. So you are getting:

Based on the math, it looks like items from today are not triggering the discount. Either that is a mistake, or it clears up the question of what is meant by "the last three (3) days"!

yeah.. maths are def not my forte, lol. really not. but i tried other new releases from just before today's according to this page https://www.daz3d.com/index_redir.php/new-releases , which should logically be either in the last 3 days or the promo totally sucks because inaccurate/impossible, and nothing triggers the 70%... so i'd really love to know how @Butch managed to get Dante for 3.98 (it's more to get additional % on other stuff, Dante doesn't even interest me that much, so for 4$ ok, more is pointless)

kameneko said:
    TGSNT said:

Just don't bother until the 1st or 2nd week in April. If i've learned anything from past March Madness sales, it never pays to buy early. Build your wish list and wait for everything to go on sale at the end.

Could you explain what do you mean?
    It's the first time I'm around for the March Madness. The sales so far doesn't excite me that much.

So are you saying that these sales will continue until the first half of April, and that in the last period everything will go back on sale?

@kameneko, As Leana mentions, there are usually catchup sales during March Madness. During the catchup sales, nearly all the products that were released since the beginning of March Madness are back on sale. (Occasionally, one or two don't make it. No idea why.) Usually the sale price is the same, (40% off one, 50% off two,) but that wasn't always the case, and there is no telling until the catchup sale if the discounts will be the same. It may help your budget to put items you like into your wishlist, (by clicking on the heart next to the "Purchase" button,) and hold off until the last catchup sale to actually buy, so you don't run out of money the day before something is released that you absolutely must have.

The down side to that approach is there are daily offers that are triggered by purchasing on that day. The "Bonus Madness" item today, for example, receives a hefty 70% discount in your cart, if you made a new release purchase in the past three days, (not including today, it appears.) Today's "unique" offer is a discount on Gift Cards, and an extra 5% discount on your entire cart if your cart (with GC) exceed $200.

For myself, I do a combination of buy now, and wishlist for the catchup, (or even later.) It all depends on the daily, "unique," offers.

• I was reading "last three days" to mean "previous three days", though I can see how it could be read as Sat, Sun, and today. It seems to be behaving as I read it, however.

I was reading "last three days" to mean "previous three days", though I can see how it could be read as Sat, Sun, and today. It seems to be behaving as I read it, however.

so which products were released in the previous 3 days?? i tried the most recent product just before today's releases (from the new release page as well as from the shop's main page) - which means it was released in the previous 3 days... or the promo aks for the sheer impossible - and it triggers no 70% on Dante. so how can i get it for 3.98?? am i really so dense or is there some secret ingrdient i know nothing about?

edited February 2019
    L'Adair said:
    Butch said:

yeah.. maths are def not my forte, lol. really not. but i tried other new releases from just before today's according to this page https://www.daz3d.com/index_redir.php/new-releases , which should logically be either in the last 3 days or the promo totally sucks because inaccurate/impossible, and nothing triggers the 70%... so i'd really love to know how @Butch managed to get Dante for 3.98 (it's more to get additional % on other stuff, Dante doesn't even interest me that much, so for 4$ ok, more is pointless)

@manekiNeko

Writing adcopy isn't easy. The page states:

Get 70% OFF* when you have bought a New Release from the last three (3) days

but based on how the discount is working, I think it might be more clear if it stated:

Get 70% OFF today when you purchased a New Release in the past three (3) days.*

*Qualifying purchase must be prior to today.

(Or something like that.)

Does that help? (Aside from the fact it doesn't get you Dante for$3.98…)

Post edited by L'Adair on
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:
    Butch said:

@manekiNeko

Writing adcopy isn't easy. The page states:

but based on how the discount is working, I think it might be more clear if it stated:

(Or something like that.)

Does that help? (Aside from the fact it doesn't get you Dante for$3.98…)

so this means @Butch has BOUGHT A NEW RELEASE ON FRIDAY OR SATURDAY OR SUNDAY, right? so that's why they get Dante for 3.98, even if they don't buy anything else today, right?

and since Dante doesn't obviously qualify as "new release" since unlike the other 9 thumbnails, he doesn't trigger the "Buy two (2) or more: Get 15% OFF* on a Gift Card" (i just tried, because i wanted more % on my GC, not especially Dante himself, at least not for 9$, i hoped that investing 4$ for him would get me the 15% off GC...). so for me it's pointless to buy him anyways. ok, all clear now.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    Seems to be the norm to make these things complicated. I purchased a new release four days ago so I don't qualify. Can't you make it ANY product that is still a new release? I tried various scenarios and the Dante discount doesn't apply no matter what I do. Regardless, this is starting out with nothing I really want considering what I already own. But this has to be frustrating for newer people building inventory or established customers that can use the initial items being offered.
  • why people focus on March Madness , what is inside ?

• I have nothing from today's sale in my cart except Dante and it received the 70% discount, so I assume Richard is correct since I have purchased stuff almost everyday in the last week.
    GlenWebb said:
    I have nothing from today's sale in my cart except Dante and it received the 70% discount, so I assume Richard is correct since I have purchased stuff almost everyday in the last week.

makes sense. thanks @Richard Haseltine & @GlenWebb for the heads up then ^^ - and bye forever Dante XD.

now... the lashes or the hangar? hmmm.....

• so this means @Butch has BOUGHT A NEW RELEASE ON FRIDAY OR SATURDAY OR SUNDAY, right? so that's why they get Dante for 3.98, even if they don't buy anything else today, right?

and since Dante doesn't obviously qualify as "new release" since unlike the other 9 thumbnails, he doesn't trigger the "Buy two (2) or more: Get 15% OFF* on a Gift Card" (i just tried, because i wanted more % on my GC, not especially Dante himself, at least not for 9$, i hoped that investing 4$ for him would get me the 15% off GC...). so for me it's pointless to buy him anyways. ok, all clear now.

I also got Dante for $3.98 and, checking my orders, I purchased something on the 22nd. So I believe @L'Adair's copy edit would be correct.

L'Adair said:

Which means that, in order to get Dante at the lowest price, you would need to buy an item from the Newly Mad Releases today. However, I also agree that the copy needs to change and add that note about new releases from the past three days being purchased BEFORE today. Otherwise, that's false advertising.

I also got Dante for $3.98 and, checking my orders, I purchased something on the 22nd. So I believe @L'Adair's copy edit would be correct.

how annoying - i purchased something on the 21st. just for 1 day  crying

However, I also agree that the copy needs to change and add that note about new releases from the past three days being purchased BEFORE today. Otherwise, that's false advertising.

i agree too.
    also honestly i have better things to do than waste my time like today deciphering unclear promo texts or questioning every detail on the forum just to save a few $... my afternoon was supposed to be used for some chores not including regular trips to the laptop ~