Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• i may have to reinstal those, because it asked for jpegs..and those folders only had a scene file

but suppose you want a shader that's not in the carrara shader drawer? 

do i just open each character i have, and save the shader..in case i need them later?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

best way I've found is to load each texture from wherever it resides on the hard drive.. it could be from several sources which will make up my one figure.. I'm always mixing them up for variety.

What you need to remember ( the hard part ) is where all these textures reside.. you need to remember the Artist's name as they usually have a folder in the textures folder as a guide. The Daz ones are mostly under Runtime/Textures/Daz/Characters/[ choose the character you want folder ]

other artists would be like Runtime/Textures/ArtistName/[ choose the character you want folder ]

Once all textures are loaded up to my liking then I save the global shader ( which holds all the info ) to the shader tab giving it a unique name like StezzaG1M or something similar. Then I will know later down the track that that global shader is for Genesis Male. I also have my tab folders structured for people, animals and or others for easier finding.

Then it is just a matter of dragging my new global texture onto a newly loaded Genesis figures global texture to replace with mine.

I guess this is as clear as mud... I'll see if I can get some images up later to illustrate the process...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2019

well, i think i will create characters in daz studio, that i will use often, and save as a character..that way, it should load with textures

saving shaders in carrara will save the specific shader settings

like sub surface scattering, if you use it.  it takes longer to render, for animated renders i turn off the sss

diomede has some lovely screenshots of the carrara multi domain shader ball

carrara lets you embed the texture maps in a shader for a character, is nice cause never have to worry where the maps are and is already saved as tiffs.  can extract them if you need to by saving shader as all external, it spits out tif files smiley

when converting iray shaders you'll need a transparency shader for eye moisture and cornea.  theres a couple with the g3 and g8 presets.just drag them on top of cornea and eye moisture in shader room

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

well, i think i will create characters in daz studio, that i will use often, and save as a character..that way, it should load with textures

Well, I personally find it easier to get the materials worked out in Carrara, when it comes to saving figures for use in Carrara.

I'll load the figure I want to use, edit the shapes and shaders, then save that to my Carrara browser. To help understand what I'm talking about, I just copied an article I wrote a while back into the forum. I'm pressed for time so I'm not entirely sure yet how well it translated to the forum... I'll read it and fix it as soon as I can... but it should be fairly understandable as is for now. Here it is:

Setting up Basic Materials for Genesis Figures (in Carrara)

• thanx for all the help everyone

a few posts ago, someone mentioned the carrara skin shaders, that come with the 8.5 content install 

i have re installed the 8.5 content pack 3 times, used the one from carrara 8..and even did 7 just to be safe

but i get a dialog box looking for jpegs when i try to use the skin shaders

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

@invisigoth - it might be that the texture files are installed in a location different from what the installed global shaders expect.  Sometimes, that happens to me because I did not install to default locations (on purpose).  Obviously, we don't know your installation relative paths.  However, you probably either installed manually or installed using the Daz DIM.  

General comment - it is likely that the texture map files that the global shader are looking for were part of a base figure package.  For example, Genesis 1's character Michael 5 comes with texture maps named Philip.  When you installed Genesis Michael 5 the default location for the textures for Daz Studio and Poser use are in a  Runtime folder structure.  The Philip texture maps are somewhere in there.  Carrara's global shader is referencing the same maps in the same location.  How to find?

If you installed using the DAZ DIM, then the DIM keeps track of the locations of your installed files for each product.   In this case, open DIM, go to the installed products tab, type Michael 5 in the search box, highlight the row for the installed Michael 5 product, and (Right-Click) on the highlighted row.  DIM offers a menu and you can choose to show location of installed files.  In this case, the texture maps for Philip were installed to a subfolder of the Daz Studio base installation area

/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/MilMan/M5

If you installed manually, then you have to remember where you installed your stuff.  But in general, the maps that come with Daz's base figures are often in subfolders of the /Runtime/Textures/Daz/Characters structures.  Some products will be referencing those.  As Stezza pointed out above, the vendors who work with Daz often put their custom maps in subfolders with their own name, or with the name of the product.  

So, which figure/product are you trying to locate a global shader for?  If we have the same product, we might be able to tell you its RELATIVE path location (relative to RUNTIME) even if we can't know where your runtime is located.  For example, are you trying to load the global shader Elite Amy Carrara for V4?  the M5 shader that comes with Carrara 8.5?  what?

See attached

dim m5 location 2.JPG
    888 x 858 - 179K
    dim m5 location.JPG
    916 x 778 - 157K
  • i install manually, to a separate drive

what i am looking for is the carrara skin shaders for genesis characters that came with 8.5 pro

when i try to open a shader, i get a dialog asking for image files

Capture.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    255 x 37 - 10K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,610
    edited February 2019

i install manually, to a separate drive

what i am looking for is the carrara skin shaders for genesis characters that came with 8.5 pro

when i try to open a shader, i get a dialog asking for image files

Do you have DAZ Studio installed or are you running Poser ?

Did a file search for location/items.

Gabi.png
    1788 x 990 - 782K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • invisigothinvisigoth Posts: 155
    edited February 2019

i have both poser and daz studio ..and my morris only has v4

LMAO nevermind ....i found them...i never installed them  lol

the exe wont let me..saying it needs to be in a folder with genesis V5.... but say it can't find it, even after i reinstall V5

just downloaded them again

it was a good thing, when daz went to folders instead of exe installers

Post edited by invisigoth on

thinkin of chancing pugman

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    Mystarra said:

yeah HD morphs, you'ld get a smoother not wrinkly version probably standard resolution

Mystarra said:

Double drat - was thinking about getting it....

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

I thought the textures on it look pretty crappy.. so decided not to.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

https://www.daz3d.com/ball-joint-doll-for-genesis

Ball Joint Doll for Genesis - wondered if anyone got this to work ?

When I apply the morph target wwird things happen around the head and that's all.

thanks in advance :)

it says there is a conforming transmapped brow piece. 

thanks Mystarra, that is separate figure/prop and comes in okay !

Rosie just bought me this really cool starship!

Arachnid Class Transport

It comes with an amazing assortment of morph dials for various functions of this amazing ship - none of which work in Carrara.

I must say, I was a bit annoyed at first, but now it doesn't make a difference at all anymore - and here's why:

A lot of times, when morph dials don't work, it's worse than that. When we try to use translation or rotation to perform what the morph dials are for, we might get horrible results - or even find that we can't even do that. THIS SHIP IS DIFFERENT!!!

This thing is awesome! We can just rotate or translate away! If the selected thing isn't supposed to move or rotate, it won't. It doesn't cause the whole ship to move... simply nothing happens! So Cool! But there's more!

When I rotated the big main door open - the one on the bottom of the ship that allows us to drive cargo into the hold - it stops according to constraints very nicely, and then we can use the universal translate tool to drag the ramp down from there. But we still can't see the inside of the hold - there are thes really cool airlock seal doors in the way. I thought: "Oh great... I'm going to have to carefully drag each one of these, and when I find the end, the whole ship will rotate out of whack". Nope. I grabbed Left #1 and dragged it to the left (to open it) and when #1 got to it's end, #2 started to move, when #2 got to it's end, #3 moved, etc., until the whole works was open and just came to a nice stop without moving the ship at all! How did he do that?!!! 

Everything on the model is like that - and there's a lot to play with! It has a rear ramp for the crew with interior doors that work! The big main guns spin to unleash a hail of deadly salvos! We can drag the landing gear up and down without effort... this thing is So Frakkin' Cool!!!

Just thought I'd say this here. This model is not advertised at all as cool as it should be. I loved the promos, but was utterly shocked at how awesome this thing is compared to how little is written about it. It does, however, say that it also comes with a separate Cargo Hold stand-alone prop, as well as a stand-alone bridge, which is actually quite the thing itself! My computer is still crashing every few minutes, so I still have a lot to discover about it once I get the shaders finished. 

This model is a real dream! Two thumbs (more, if I had them) Waaaay Up!!! Oh... and the textures folders has a LOT of wonderful maps for Carrara shader gurus to have a blast with!!! :)

nice looking review thanks Dart :) love that render too

nice looking review thanks Dart :) love that render too

LOL! That's a promo pic! :)

I did manage to get it saved tp my browser with shaders, lighting, and a multitude of cameras - between three PC crashes. A lot of other things aren't giving me such luck. This ship being as big as it is, I was expecting it to be a real resource hog. It's not. 

Pretty cool in fact. After getting the shaders optimized (lots of fun options, including atmosphere entry charring overlays!) I was able to get some interior lights going, and found the bridge of the ship to be really neat. Port and Starboard Navigation stations with Holo terminals, a Pilot seat with Holo terminal, and a captain chair behind it all, up a level. 

Below the bridge is a Crane operations station with holo terminal and windshield glass (and seat). Not sure what the crane operator does yet.

Below all of that is the really cool Cargo Hold, with several overlapping door systems that really work well. The bone structure is really cool - makes it really easy to operate without the morph dials. Don't even need them. The cargo hold has several bays for storing cargo or, perhaps, working on small craft - I'll likely be using either Kibaretto's Thunderbike or Petipet's Needle, for example, and those small craft can exit via the main door, or a lift in the back of the hold. Again, two sets of doors to open to lower the lift to the outside. Awesome! Then behind all of that is a doorway leading to a short hall and another door which leads to the crew ramp so they can walk in and out while the cargo hold is blocked by loading machines and vehicles.

I used the ol' Consolidate Duplicate shaders, and then edited all of the shaders via the shaders tab. Well I found out later that we can individualize all of the engine and thruster glows for various flight and maneuver operations - so I'll be editing that. There are other options to discover by checking the multitude of options available in the Daz Studio folder locations. Lots of props and lots of shader options. Oh... and it's a pretty big ship! Nothing ginormous like a capital ship, but it's a nice big transport for sure!

snip

It comes with an amazing assortment of morph dials for various functions of this amazing ship - none of which work in Carrara.

they are likely not morph dials but linked erc sliders, you can in that Carrara plugin called DAZ studio create Pose control sliders that can each affect joints and morphs so say a muscle flexes when an arm is bent using one etc

what you do if using the duf versions is dial them in DAZ studio and save them as pose presets, animated not a bad idea either as places keys along timeline that Carrara can then save as nla poses

if using the Poser versions it is more likely a pmd so out of luck

I don't have this BTW to test

snip

they are likely not morph dials but linked erc sliders, you can in that Carrara plugin called DAZ studio create Pose control sliders that can each affect joints and morphs so say a muscle flexes when an arm is bent using one etc

what you do if using the duf versions is dial them in DAZ studio and save them as pose presets, animated not a bad idea either as places keys along timeline that Carrara can then save as nla poses

if using the Poser versions it is more likely a pmd so out of luck

I don't have this BTW to test

It's DUF only.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing pose presets. But when I found out how easy it is to simply drag on the parts of the vehicle itself instead of using dials, I think I like doing it this way better. It's as simple as right-click > select > drag or rotate as farr as I can or want to. Unlike most other things, this thing is linked in a way that the model doesn't get shoved around at the end of a move or rotation. So sweet! I'm going to get the ship like this that came before it too - just because! :)

• RaneRane Posts: 142

Both of the Arachnids are designed after the same methodologies and techniques.  I love the comments you're written on them, it makes my day.  I tried to design all of my ships in logical ways.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Rane said:

Both of the Arachnids are designed after the same methodologies and techniques.  I love the comments you're written on them, it makes my day.  I tried to design all of my ships in logical ways.

They are wonderful ships and work well in carrara from the little I have used them but I have both aswell as the tecture Pack.

Rane said:

Yeah... great design work, Rane! This Transport is freaking Huge and Awesome! Wonderful texture maps gallore!!!

Mrs Chow and Zhisong dialed in on Misty's presets

the toe thing

and no clothes fit as scaled wrong

Mrs Chow and Zhisong dialed in on Misty's presets

the toe thing

and no clothes fit as scaled wrong

Thanks for the tip Wendy !!!

https://www.daz3d.com/bf109-fighter

Convert to blended weight to get the flaps, wheels etc to rotate.

https://www.daz3d.com/dakotaraptor

Convert each of the feathers to blended weight to get them to work.

this looks fabulous  https://www.daz3d.com/hydro-locks

well if it has uvwraps we haz a plug in now smiley

and who needs brushes when we haz fluidos