Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Selinita said:

..Thanks Wendy, the closing of eyes works...

..but any of the multi-control sliders don't - ie to close the eyes I have to move each eye separately the one to do both at the same time doesn't nor do any of the other multi-sliders like the one to change the features to Afraid or Angry - I have to find each feature and do it myself. Any more brilliant ideas, please yes

Selina

This is the first I've heard of this stuff.

Really? I've been using V4.2 in Carrara for years and all morphs work as expected. Strange. 

Back in the day, we had to load (and this only had to be done once - period) Victoria 4 into Daz Studio and, when doing so, select everything in the Powerloader, then click Okay. I don't even think she needs to be saved. It just fixed a problem where saving morphed V4 would result in morphs not working when reopened (in Carrara).

So for that, we'd just need to

1. Make sure we have Victoria 4 Power Loader installed
    2. Open DS, load V4
    3. Power Loader pops up automatically at that point
    4. Select everything
    5. Okay

it was broken later in the DIM files and morphs ++ does it

I broke it again recently adding new morphs and fixed it using my old Figures, Characters and avatars DVD files

I did put in a support ticket but it was deemed solved as I never managed to track down what file exactly is broken in DIM, it affects Poser too

nice blinks, timing blink rates a tricky bsiness, patience (sings guns n roses)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    Mystarra said:

good to see you back Dart smiley

Thanks Misty! smiley

edited January 2019

You all probably know this sort of thing already, but for those who might not:

I'll use Dracons Wake Dropship as my example, since its what brought me to write this.

Okay this marvelous ship has working landing gear but due to how it's set up, the hydraulic cylinders that operate them don't automatically work properly, and rotating them individually by hand would be a big, time-consuming pain in the rump. So don't do that. 

Instead, we'll set it all up to work the way the awesome Nightshift3D set it up to work in DS/Poser. Ready?

When we lower the landing gear, we'll be exposing the problem: two halves of the cylinders, the upper and lower (not following along in the correct position).

• Select one of the Upper cylinders
    • Go to the Modifiers tab and add (+) "Point To"
    • In the resulting dialog, choose the Lower cylinder that corresponds to the gear we're working on
    • Done with this Upper cylinder
    • Select the Lower cylinder that we just pointed to
    • Go to the Modifiers tab and add (+) "Point To"
    • In the resulting dialog, choose the Upper cylinder that corresponds to the gear we're working on (the one we just finished earlier)
    • Done with this landing gear section
    • Repeat the above process for all remaining landing gear

Some other figures might have working suspension with the same issue. Just apply the above process that makes sense for what's going on.

NOTE: If "Point To" has wacky results at first, try different + or - axis selections within the Point To modifier until you get the appropriate response.

Now get in there and set up the shaders how you want them and store this wonderful, working figure to your browser! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

there is another way

in DAZ studio save a duf animated pose preset, I don't think I tried that one or even if I have it but for DZfires cyborgs and Jacks Carnival Carousel it works.

there is another way

in DAZ studio save a duf animated pose preset, I don't think I tried that one or even if I have it but for DZfires cyborgs and Jacks Carnival Carousel it works.

Cool! Does that make it all work, even in intermediate positions? That was one thing I love about adding the Point To, when ever we move the main landing gear, everything just follows nicely. I actually learned this information from DZFire years back when he was responding to someone's query! ;)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

good tips guys/gals

more to remember... eeeek! smiley

there is another way

Cool! Does that make it all work, even in intermediate positions? That was one thing I love about adding the Point To, when ever we move the main landing gear, everything just follows nicely. I actually learned this information from DZFire years back when he was responding to someone's query! ;)

well you could save NLA clips

the carousel working??

love the drop ship  thanks.

amother fun thing fo animating ships, is getting the lights to blink for animation smiley

Mystarra said:

the carousel working??

love the drop ship  thanks.

amother fun thing fo animating ships, is getting the lights to blink for animation smiley

well the horsies dont move in carrara but if you save them moving in DAZ studio in an animation it will load and move them in Carrara

• invisigothinvisigoth Posts: 155
    edited February 2019

i have had trouble with all genesis,  and poser 9 on up figures 

Capture.JPG
    987 x 611 - 61K
    Post edited by invisigoth on
    edited February 2019

the Mother goose dress and collar crashes Carrara even converted to blended weight

Edie seems to work OK on Misty's preset

just learnt it has conditional  geografts

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

i have had trouble with all genesis,  and poser 9 on up figures 

poser 9 has it's own weight mapping version not compatible with ds or carrara.

you could try exportint poser figure as collada.  you'd need to manually add the rotation limits.

the 1 poser character i'd like to use in carrara is Mki 3.  somewhere in the universe is a Fenric script for Miki 3.

• the error box i got was for genesis...the ones that  came with carrara

• the error box i got was for genesis...the ones that  came with carrara

that is a cr2 a Poser companion file

you need to load the duf format one under yourDAZ library people genesis not under runtime

add your library as DAZ formats

• now i got it to load, how do you add morphs

in the character folder, i have satsuki when i drag it to the genesis instance, it adds a new character

also where are all the dials that show up in Daz studio?..   just basic stuff under parameter tab for full body and full head head

i don't see individual things...like cheeks , lips or any of that

• now i got it to load, how do you add morphs

in the character folder, i have satsuki when i drag it to the genesis instance, it adds a new character

also where are all the dials that show up in Daz studio?..   just basic stuff under parameter tab for full body and full head head

all the shaping morphs etc are under actor, the next level down
  • so...why do the figures turn completely black, when i add a material?

edited February 2019

the error box i got was for genesis...the ones that  came with carrara

are you loading genesis from the daz content library?

your message says cr2, you might be loading the poser dson version?

whwn you ad the daz folders doublr check you added them as a daz content folder and mot as a poser runtime folder. in the prompt box there a lil yellow bit to highlight in selecting your choicessmiley

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

so...why do the figures turn completely black, when i add a material?

Diomede has done a starter thread which may be of help to you :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1667681/#Comment_1667681

• Thanx Bunyip02

i have been using carrara for years now, ..it's just the genesis characters that i am new to

i tried when genesis first came out..and went back to the 4rth gen characters, and previous, because i couldn't get them to work

Thanx Bunyip02

i have been using carrara for years now, ..it's just the genesis characters that i am new to

i tried when genesis first came out..and went back to the 4rth gen characters, and previous, because i couldn't get them to work

There are a few tricks to the Genesis figures but I use them more than M4, V4, A3. Worth the effort to learn, and there is a new plugin that reduces file size.

now i got it to load, how do you add morphs

all the shaping morphs etc are under actor, the next level down

There are also morphs under head.

edited February 2019

so...why do the figures turn completely black, when i add a material?

They don't have any texture files in the shaders, happens with some of the materials, Why - don't know.

1. Click on Actor

2. Click on Shading Tile to bring up shaders.

3. Double click on shader to open

Quick check shows that the textures did not load.

4. Locate the DUF file and open in a text editor.

5. If you get a pile of gibberish don't panic - the file needs to be uncompresses/unzipped.

6. Click on folder and unzip/uncompress.

7. Click on the unzipped/uncompressed file and open in a text editor

8. Locate the file path of the texture files

9. Open the folder to view the files

10. Change from none to texture map

11. Click on folder to locate the file needed

12. Click on the file needed. You can also add the bump or normal map to the Bump, and any other texture maps you feel can go into the respective slots

Do the remaining shaders !!!!

Black problem 1.png
    2655 x 1038 - 378K
    Black problem 2.png
    2594 x 1038 - 519K
    Black problem 3.png
    1922 x 1034 - 380K
    Black problem 4.png
    1920 x 1034 - 193K
    Black problem 5.png
    1919 x 1032 - 491K
    Black problem 6.png
    2649 x 1040 - 636K
    Black problem 7.png
    2627 x 1040 - 360K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • the AoA shaders seem to be the worst culprit, iray not as bad just misses extra maps like bump opacity etc

DZdefault works but often with an extra colour in diffuse

if I am going to save a material preset in DAZ studio for Carrara I convert to DAZdefault by clicking on the DZdefault shader with all my surfaces selected first.

• well, i think i will create characters in daz studio, that i will use often, and save as a character..that way, it should load with textures

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

@invisigoth - part of a response I posted in another thread might also be of interest to you.  I don't want to retype or try to excerpt just the good parts, so here is the link.  
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4322436/#Comment_4322436

You may want to focus on the parts about morphed characters and Carrara-specific shaders.  Don't get overwhelmed by the rest, just refer to that when you get interested in those other topics.

• thanx everyone..... i have my week planned out, of reading and watching tutes

i was not trying to be ungrateful, and sorry if any of my posts came off that way

• Diomede... i got confused on this part

"go to shader tab in properties tray, drag and drop a saved global Carrara shader for that genesis+ figure on to the multicolored sphere at the top of the properties tray"

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

The comment at the following link might help, or perhaps the larger discussion within which it is located.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1667771/#Comment_1667771

Your copy of Carrara 8.5 should have come with Carrara specific shaders for Michael 5 and Victoria 5 (genesis 1). These are found in folders under the Shader tab in the browser tray at the bottom of the interface.  The term global is used because the shader contains info for each shader domain of the figure, not just one material zone.  As you acquire more figures and characters, I recommend you create and save your own global shaders.  So, in starting a scene, you load Michael 5 (or whatever) directly in Carrara from your content browser.  It loads with Studio optimized shaders, not Carrara optimized shaders.  You could adjust each material zone one by one (limbs, face, ...).  Or, you can drag and drop a global shader that adjusts all in one step.  However, to do so, you must have a global shader created and saved first.  Just a one time step for each new figure / character set that you acquire.  

hope it helps.